Chapter 4

Our Forever

Dong Soo crept just a little bit closer to the small group of office ladies chatting near the watercooler. He has to strain his ears to listen in on their conversation effectively. Strains of useless information and lots of giggling later, the ladies finally start on what Dong Soo has been waiting to hear.

“I heard he likes chocolate…a lot!” one said conspiratorially.

“Yes! Oh yes! I have seen him ate a whole box for lunch!” another titters excitedly.

“But what’s his favourite flavor? Does anyone know?” Yet another asks curiously.

“I know!” Another declares proudly. “It’s dark chocolate ganache with a whole macadamia nut!”

Dong Soo bit down on his bottom lip to silent the triumphant giggle about to escape his lips. That’s the information he was waiting for! Quietly, he slipped away.

 

The next morning, Dong Soo marches into his young boss’ office holding something behind his back.

Seung Ho heard his door open and a slight rustle as someone slips into the office. The thick carpet mutes the approaching footsteps but he instinctively knows it is his assistant so he continues to read the document before him without acknowledging the other’s presence. To his surprise, a long slender box came into his view and is gently set on his desk. He raises his head to face the grinning man.

Without a word but a quirk of his brow, Seung Ho questions the presence of the mysterious box.

“For you.” Dong Soo replied, still grinning.

“What is it?” Seung Ho asks stoically, making no attempt to touch it.

“See for yourself!” Dong Soo urges playfully. Seung Ho continues to stare at him, willing him to reply his question but the elder man wouldn’t.

With a sigh, Seung Ho lowers his head to return to his reading. Dong Soo’s heart fell at the cool treatment he just received. With a pout he snatches his gift from where it’s sitting and opens it haphazardly before dropping it unceremoniously back onto the desk.

The sight of 2 rows of red heart-shaped chocolates came as a surprise to both of them. It’s not that Dong Soo wasn’t aware of what he bought; the implications were simply lost on him till this moment. As for Seung Ho….

“What’s the meaning of this?” He asks tightly, glaring at his sheepish-looking assistant.

Dong Soo felt conflicting emotions simultaneously. The awkwardness of the situation hit him just as the joy of seeing that familiar disapproving glare from his friend. He couldn’t decide how to feel at the moment.

“Erm….” Loss for words, the well-meaning man hemmed and hawed. “It’s like this….I noticed that you don’t eat much but you love chocolate.”

 

Heaven knows how little Un eats back then too but food supply and choices were scarce. Dong Soo grimaced at the memory before he realized that Seung Ho is still waiting for his answer.

 

“Hmm…excuse the hearts though. I was in a hurry to choose your favorite flavor that I did not pay attention to the appearance.”

Seung Ho’s tensed facial muscles visibly relaxed and his shoulders soften. Seeing his assistant fidget nervously nearly made him laugh out loud but he held back and only an amused smile blossomed on his narrow face. Dong Soo’s worried look instantly cleared away and he grinned widely.

“I felt I was just proposed to.” Seung Ho mutters grumpily after clearing his throat a few times to clear the awkwardness in the air.

Dong Soo guffaws uncontrollably at how shy Un looks as he always been.

“Fetch me the files from Sin Hwa Construction.” Seung Ho’s face swiftly hardens to put a stop to Dong Soo’s inappropriate silliness.

“Yes, boss!” Dong Soo stops laughing immediately to reply. But the corners of his mouth are still stretched wide with mischief. “Be back in a minute!” Dong Soo promises as he runs off holding in his glee.

When he returns 15 minutes later juggling thick arch files in his arms which he dumps nonchalantly on a side table in Seung Ho’s office, he noticed slyly that 2 chocolate hearts have already disappeared from the box. Knowingly he grinned at the slight chewing motions in the young heir’s jaw.

“Did you like it?” Dong Soo asks with a quirk of his dark brow. “Is it nice?”

Seung Ho’s face ashen promptly at being caught by his assistant. He glared but the intensity weakens considerably. So he cleared his throat and looked away. “Arrange for a box to be always available.” Seung Ho’s voice resonates deeply and steadily. “And ~ serve me 2 pieces for afternoon tea every day.” Here his voice falters slightly and his eyes dodge about helplessly.

Dong Soo’s heart soars and unicorns and rainbows burst into his sight at seeing Un’s bashfulness again. The younger may be a very accomplished assassin but he also felt shy way too easily. Dong Soo would coo at this exceedingly adorable characteristic of his friend…although right now will only freak Seung Ho out so he restrains himself.

“Yes sir!” Dong Soo salutes with unnecessary pomposity.

“Don’t get hearts again.” Seung Ho’s face tightens as he warns his cheeky assistant clumsily.