Chapter 1

Our Forever

2018.

Midnight.

A lone figure stood on the edge of the city’s tallest rooftop.

Cold winds blew hard against him, heavy dark clouds gather above him.

Un ah, are you out there somewhere? Where are you?

A gloved hand reached up to clasp the gently glowering glass vial pendant hanging from the steel chain around his neck. His thoughts flew through space and time as his fingers fondle the glass vial absently.

 

After saying a silent goodbye for the last time, he rose to his feet. His eyes still puffy and moist, his shoulders heavy and his mind a complete blank.

Without Un, the world he knew ended. He doesn’t quite know what to do next.

As usual, Un had protected him, this time choosing to do so with the only asset he has – his life. Dong Soo felt a ridiculous surge of anger overcome him.

How dare Un dies and leave him behind all alone! How dare he! Who does he think he is to sacrifice his life when he, the greatest warrior in Joseon, Baek Dong Soo, never asked him too.

How dare he…..

Dong Soo’s shoulders shudder as another wave of grief and defeat overcame him and he begin to weep.

 

“You are angry.” A feminine voice remarked softly yet matter-of-factly.

Dong Soo’s head shot up in complete surprise. Before him stood a young lady he had never seen in his village before. His eyes widen and his mouth agape, he stared.

She turned to face him with a soft smirk on her face.

“You need closure.” She speaks again.

‘What-“

“You need to know if he felt the same for you.” Her words silenced his defense. He has to admit that is what his heart really wants.

 

                               

A sharp honking from the streets below his feet startle him back to the present.

426 years.

That’s how long he had lingered in this world.

He witnessed with his own eyes, Joseon’s slow and painful transformation into modern day Seoul. Since that fateful day he met her and was offered a chance of eternal life so he can seek the closure that his heart wished for.

But he never saw Un again.

A Buddhist monk he met 213 years ago assured him that re-carnation is real and to meet someone is destiny.

He’s still waiting.

Raising his head towards the sky, a blurry silhouette forms before his eyes. The same one he has seen for the past 4 centuries. A head of flowing long hair frames a slim attractive face, both eyes tighten in rounded slits, and that dazzling smile. Un ah….

Don’t go or you will not see me when you return.

“I’m here now but where are you?” He whispers his reply.

 

 

“How do you do? I’m Yoo Seung Ho. Nice to meet you.” The striking youth greets in perfect English.

“What a fine grandson you have here.” The distinguish Englishman nodded in approval as he remarked to his host, an elderly gentleman.

“You are too kind. Seung Ho is still just a boy. He has much to learn.” Came the humble reply. “Let’s proceed to the living room, shall we?”

Both adults turned and move towards the inner rooms and the youth follows in silence.

At 19, Seung Ho is the only grandson of the owner of Seoul’s largest business consortium and the heir to an expansive business empire. Born a child prodigy, he finished his doctorate at age 19 and is slated to be the upcoming CEO. Following his grandfather dutifully, he will learn the ways of business now.

 

After the business meeting ended, Seung Ho finds himself in the car with his only kin. While the old man rested with his eyes closed, he prefers to entertain himself by staring out at the moving scenery outside the window.

The car roll gently to a stop at the traffic lights. Seung Ho sighed inaudibly and lean back into his seat. He turned to look out of the window on his grandfather’s side. A flash of black came into his line of vision and he turned slightly out of sheer curiosity.

A man, probably in his late 20s, all dressed in black is striding up the sidewalk like he owns it. His face – a wave of familiarity washed uncomfortably over Seung Ho as he stares at the disinterested aloofness the otherwise handsome figure is projecting.

The lights turn green and the car begins to move again. Seung Ho wasn’t aware of when he had sat up all tensed up but now he falls back against the back of the leather seat again. Out of his sight, the man he was observing had turned and caught sight of the expensive car with its precious passenger.

UN ah!

With an internalized shout of surprise, the black figure turned and began running after the speeding car.