Chapter 5

Our Forever

Dong Soo knows it is not part of his job description to be a bodyguard. And he will reluctantly admit that Un’s martial arts skills were way better than his own. But this is modern Seoul now, and Seung Ho doesn’t look like he is still actively training to be a swordsman.

And so the older man finds himself badgering the younger to let him wait outside in the car till the party’s over so he can him back. And like Un, Seung Ho has an unusual stubborn streak to his character.

“No.” The younger man said adamantly before climbing out of the car.

Dong Soo jumps out after him and continues to stand in the other’s way trying to convincing him that it’s not a good idea to drive home alone so late in the night. Seung Ho’s glare could freeze fire. Dong Soo stops in the middle of another whiny retort and swallows involuntarily. Then he obediently steps aside to allow his young boss to pass and enter the party’s venue.

Guess I will have to hang around in the cold then. Dong Soo thought begrudgingly. Just then a gust of cold wintry air blew at him as if to mock him. Grumpily sticking both hands into his pockets, he looked around for somewhere to provide him a shelter.

The party went on till late. The poor freezing man outside could only endure and endure and nearly couldn’t endure anymore when he finally see Seung Ho steps out. Judging from the young man’s unsteady gait, it is easy to see that he is slightly drunk. The valet came with his car and Seung Ho climbs in. A few false starts later, the car managed to start and the drunken man drove off. Dong Soo hurries to a waiting taxi and jumps in while urging the driver to start driving quickly.

@

He stares intently at the tranquil face against the white hospital bed, almost too afraid to touch the sleeping person.

When he finally caught up with the speeding car after much difficulty, he saw the car parked askew on the side of the road. Lamp posts are far and few, in relative darkness, he could see 3 men standing in a circle around the door on the driver’s side. His heart leapt into his mouth as he hurriedly shoves some dollar bills into the taxi driver’s hand and struggles to alight from the tight space.

As he ran closer to the car, he could just make out Seung Ho’s silhouette leaning against his car surrounded by the 3 men. He could sense foul play in the air.

“Un ah!” Dong Soo shouted to distract the attackers who turned to look at him. Their offensive stances are loud and clear even in near total darkness.

Seung Ho slumps a little lower now that the focus on him shifted onto the newcomer who has come to a stop a few feet from the group.

“Mind your own business, man!” One mugger warns.

“And what if I don’t?” A nasty smirk accompanies the question which somehow did intimidate the 3 assailants slightly.

“We’ll just have to show you your place then.” Another mugger promises.

Dong Soo steps back a step and dug his heels firmly into the ground. “Let’s see, shall we?’ He challenges.

Seung Ho struggles to stay conscious as he witnesses the fight happening before him. Nothing makes sense, Chang Wook moves like very highly skilled martial arts expert, the kind you see in period dramas on tv. In a few minutes, his muggers are all rolling on the wet asphalt groaning painfully. His own resolve gave way and he drops swiftly to the ground like a broken puppet. His fall is prevented by Chang Wook who caught him and together they slide to the ground gently.

“Un ah, are you ok? Speak to me! Un ah!” Dong Soo cries in a panic.

“Doc..tor…” Seung Ho replies in a jumbled slur before he out completely.

 

Dong Soo’s heart cringes as he studies the huge bloodied plaster covering most of Un’s forehead. He finds it even amusing that in this lifetime, Un is the accident-prone one. Back then he was always busy saving Dong Soo’s skin from all sorts of ridiculous incidents. Dong Soo reminisces about the time he was bitten by a poisonous snake on the leg and passed out. Un had out the poisonous blood without a moment’s hesitation and even nurse him back to health.

“Guess it’s my turn now to take care of you.” Dong Soo mutters with a sad smile.

Seung Ho’s eyelids flutter open and took a minute for his sight to clear. Finally those weary eyes land on the smiling face beside him.

“Un ah, how are you feeling?” Dong Soo inquires softly.

“Do-Dong soo ah….”

Dong Soo’s body tensed. “Un ah, what did you just called me?” He asks excitedly.

“Where are we?”

Dong Soo stares dumbly at the young heir regaining lucidity at a speed only a well-trained swordman is able to recover.

“Dong Soo ah, what did you do now? Where are we?” Un struggles to sit up as he observes his surroundings with an air of suspicion. “Dong Soo!” he hisses impatiently.

Dong Soo snaps out of his trance quickly at the sight of Un trying to leave his bed. He ran forward to push the patient back onto the bed and is secretly pleased to feel the familiar strength in Un’s physique.

“What are you doing?” Un snaps angrily as both men struggled. “We have to leave quickly before the enemy arrives!”

“There’s no enemy! Un ah!” Dong Soo is confused to see his friend disorientated. “Un ah! Listen to me!”

“No, we must go quickly!” Un huffs as he struggles to get out of Dong Soo’s grasp.

“Listen to me! There is no danger now!” Dong Soo persuades almost desperately now. “Un ah!”

Un stops struggling abruptly and collapses again into Dong Soo’s arms like a heavy sack of flour. “Un ah! AISH!”

Seung Ho came to feeling extremely worn out. He turns his head tediously side to side to have a full look of his surroundings and found Chang Wook sitting by his side staring at him intently.

“Wha-what happened to me?” He mutters thickly in a hoarse whisper. A spot between his eyes is giddy as hell and he couldn’t bear to keep his eyes open any longer.

“You were drunk and crashed your car and nearly mugged.” He hears his assistant replies woodenly.

Swallowing deeply then wincing at the intensity of the giddiness is growing. “Don’t inform the chairman.” He managed to say just before drifting off to unconsciousness again.