Part 3

At Times

Been two weeks now and still no news from Junho. She called Chansung and Wooyoung almost everyday but they gave same respond. Junho is doing fine, he needs to prepare things for their upcoming promo. What a lame excuse.

One fine evening, after taking her last class, Kei walks to their favorite café for a cup of hot mint tea. She’s too tired but not ready to be home yet. Her oppas are busy with their schedules and Mi Na is still struggling with her papers. No one can accompany her but she would prefer alone.

She sits on the corner and is about to finish her John Grisham when she sees familiar figure walks in. It’s Junho oppa. She smiles from ear to ear, stands up and approaches him.

‘Annyeong oppa..’ She greets him. Junho almost jumps up. For a second, he says nothing.

‘Oh hi Kei. What are you doing here?’

‘Just finished my class and decided to have a hot tea before home. How have you been, oppa? Are you ok?’ Suddenly Kei regrets it when she sees Junho looks so uncomfortable.

‘Yes, I’m fine. Sorry Kei, but I gotta go now for some practice’ then Junho leaves even before order anything. He still sits in his car not knowing what to do except cursing his action when he reads her text ‘Are you mad at me, oppa? Did I do something wrong?’ He hits his steering wheel pretty hard.

How can I be not only stupid but also coward? If the other members see this, bet they will laugh their asses off especially Chansung and Taec.

On the other hand, Kei is upset with Junho’s reaction.

Well, Junho oppa, if you don’t wanna see me, then I won’t either. I won’t bother you with my calls and texts anymore. Not a big deal. But this Saturday is Nikhun’s oppa birthday. Ottokhae?

 

Saturday comes. Wearing her loose black shirt, a pair of jeans and her Adidas Superstar Slip-on, she arrives at Nichkhun’s house before 6pm. Not a big party, just the 7 of them so no need for her to dress up. She does not bring anything as a present because they always complain if she insists to bring one.

‘Happy birthday Khun oppa. All the best for you and 2PM’ Kei hugs Nichkhun and from corner of her eyes, she sees Junho.

‘Thanks for coming Kei. Enjoy the foods. Your oppadeul are here already’ Well yeah, like I can’t hear their loudness except the one who is sitting on the couch pretending busy with his phone.

‘Annyeong oppa!’ Kei hugs Taec, Chansung, Wooyoung and Minjun like always. When she’s about to hug Junho, he stands up and walks to the kitchen. Wooyoung and Chansung can only sigh and hold themselves off not to blow a big punch to Junho. Silently, Wooyoung follows Junho to the kitchen.

‘And what’s with that?’

‘What? Did I do something wrong?’ Junho answers but avoiding Wooyoung’s gaze.

‘Did I do something wrong?’ Wooyoung repeats. ‘You know that Kei was about to hug you like she always does but you left her like that. Are you insane?’

‘Stop it Young. You know what has been troubling me lately. I’m still clueless, you know’ Junho opens a can of beer and finishes it in one gulp.

‘I know but still you’re so childish. Did she ever know? Did you tell her? Or else, have you been honest to yourself? Be a man, Junho!’

After having dinner, they gather at the TV room. They share chocolate cake from Nichkhun’s fans. As a chocolate lover, Kei is digging it carefully like she wants to savor it until the end and makes her unaware that Junho is starring at her from the corner.

‘So cute…does she like that cake so much?’ Junho smiles and enjoys his view. The way Kei enjoying the cake, tingling her head while talking to Minjun or getting red because Taec teases her. Oh not Taec hyung again…

‘Yaaa Junho, why are you smiling like an idiot?’ Minjun shouts from across.

‘What? No, nothing hyung’ Junho can feel his ears turn red. Damn, Minjun hyung. He can also see both Young and Chansung laughing soundlessly. Those punks!

‘Will you invite Kei to our showcase?’ Minjun asks again.

‘Of course, hyung. No need to ask’ Wooyoung takes the liberty to answer Minjun’s question. Junho can feel his ears hot and red. Thankfully, no one sees it. Kei is still busy talking to Nichkhun.

Back at home, Kei rewinds lots of scenes at Nichkhun’s party. Junho looked so handsome with his black shirt and cargo pants. His hair back to black again. His smiley eyes, laughter and the way he bites his lips when he’s thinking. The way he's joking around with Chansung but sometimes he looked so blank. All makes her heart flutters.

‘Wait…what is this? I meet Junho oppa at least twice a month so why am I being like this?’ Kei hits her head and tries hard to erase Junho from his mind.

She is about to enter her bedroom when her phone beeps. Junho’s name on the screen. It takes some time before she answers.

‘Kei?’

‘Hi oppa…what’s up?’ Oh gosh…what’s wrong with me? Why am I so nervous?

‘Am I catching you at a bad time?’ Junho’s soft voice makes her turn to jelly. For a moment, she says nothing.

‘No oppa. I’m about to clean up. Where are you?’

‘Am at studio. Need to record my new song. Do you wanna hear it?’

‘I’d love to. Will it be in 2PM next album or your solo?’ Kei asks eagerly. Though not a Hottest, she enjoys some of 2PM’s songs.

‘Don’t know yet. Probably for my solo album’ Then Junho sings a couple of bars. It’s a ballad song and feels like a lullaby to her ear. A mixed feeling comes to her mind. The lyric is about someone who is longing for his other half.

‘It’s so good oppa.’ Kei says after Junho finishes.

‘Do you like it?’

‘Very much’

‘Well, glad to hear. Ok, go get some sleep now. Night night Kei’ And after Junho ends his call, Kei can only put her hand on her chest silently. Be still my heart…