kinda

The Universe We Looked Upon

"So," He smiled, walking by the side of Haneul, "what's the plan today?" 

She looked at him, "not sure, you decide?" at the same time carefully placing the rose she received just now into her bag, trying her best to control her allergy. 

He flashed her a smile. 

                                   x

It's monday, it's her first day. She put on a really casual outfit and mom jeans and a soft pink shirt. She likes soft color. 

Walking out of her house, she opened the location of the flower shop shared to her. It took her a little bit over 20 minutes to arrived at the destination. A slight delay from what she expected as the road taken was not so familiar. 10 minutes, before her shift starts, she would not wish to be late, not on her first day at least.

Jung's Flower Shop vividly displayes before Haneul's eyes. This is really the one. She inhaled one big gulp of air, before stepping into the shop, notifying the owner by the sound of bell ringing. 

The shop is lovely, that is not even the best word to describe it. How they are so many different kinds of flowers yet so organized, so it's not stuffy, how the whole entire interior is white and the big glass windows allow the sunlight to penetrate the store. Peaceful, peaceful might be better.

"Good morning, Ms. Lee", Greeted Jung Jaehyun to dazed Haneul in his dark purple turtle neck, covered with a green apron, whilst handling pots of fresh peonies and chrysanthemums. 

"Good morning to you too, Boss Jung", She replied to him with a small smile and he wheezed, "Boss..?" She giggled shyly, "Is it wrong?" He rubbed his nape again, a habit when he is a bit awkward and embarassed. "That's a first. But it's kinda right too.." His voice started to disappear into silence before laughing out loud, "Please, just drop the honorifics and say that you want the sunflowers." Now, it's her turn to be flustered. "I was just being nice." 

He really adored seeing her blush. Wait, what.

"Okay, serious time." The smile left his face. "Put on that apron," He pointed to one that is properly tucked underneath the counter. After she finished, he showed her around; the decorating station, where ribbons and cards and ornaments in every color exist, the shelves organization, which flower goes into the fridge which stays out, basically everything in the shop.

Haneul was assigned to arrange and decorate because Jaehyun said he saw her drawing in the sketchbook when they were at the ice cream store before. Perhaps you can pour out your artistic skill here now. That was what he stated, she had no time to be surprised about the fact that the male was peeking at her artwork.

"And.. lastly, let me handle the rose." Her ears perked up, "What?" "You are allergic, right? Any orders regarding roses just give it to me, okay?" He assured her, his right dimple popped up a bit. 

That's cute. Haneul nods.

"Anything else?" He questioned, Haneul was ready to shake her head when she noticed the wrapping paper, "Wait, the wrapping paper-" "Oh, I'll teach you later how to arrange and decorate it." Jaehyun replied immediately. "No, I was wondering if this kind of wrapping paper is commonly used in flower shops?" She added as she fumbles with the pastel-colored with glitters wrapping paper.

He furrows his brows, "Let's see... usually flower shops have their own trademark of wrapping paper to differentiate the brand. Why? You got one?" She was taken aback by the question, "How did you know that?"

Walking away from Haneul, he shrugged, "I- I just guessed. What kind of flower was it? How was the wrapping? I'm trying my best to remember if anyone ordered anything specific." 

Please don't be rose, in pink wrapping paper.

"It was rose," Might be different wrapping paper.

"In pink wrapping paper." 

He nodded his head several times, "I think I remember it, kinda. A boy gave it to you right?" 

It was her turn to nod. Oh, so that was her boyfriend, she's even blushing now. "Which explains my flu, I was holding the rose too long."  She pouted slightly. Oh, she went on a date yesterday. 

Haneul was reminded about the fact that yesterday went too smooth, too fast, she couldn't make it of what was happening. He treats her too nicely, cared for her, not that she disliked it, but, it was too much to handle. Why is he doing that? 

"Alright, let's get working now. It's gonna get busy soon!" Jaehyun said as he pulls up his shirt's sleeves.

And just like that, days went by in a blur, they definitely clicked, sharing the same interest in music, the love for animal, the first pet they adopt, ther favourite superhero, basically about almost all things except for some, some just better remained unknown, or maybe later. She told Jaehyun how she still holds grudge against Johnny because that one time when she was a kid she sneaked out of her house as the male bribed her with new toys and consequently got her whooped by her mom. Jaehyun also had the same experience when his friends invited him to cycle around the neighbourhood though he had no idea how and eventually ended up with scar somewhere along his body.

Jaehyun is Haneul's good friend. She dubbed. She hoped he feels the same. Words somehow flow mellifluosly with him. Well, spending more than 8 hours, 6 days per week, they were bound to speak with each other.

Sometimes Johnny comes over, with few cups of newly developed ice cream flavour. She felt content with her life. 

Haneul might be a little too comfortable with her new friend but she is reminded again by her love interest, Lee Donghyuck.

Hyuck, on the other hand, always made her nervous, giddy, sometimes fuzzy. They had not yet meet after their first date but through text message, they connect. Maybe this could actually work? 

"Hey, Jaehyun." She calls out to the male who was busy reading something behind the counter, probably medical related book, and she, on the other hand, was arranging roses for an order, "Is it just me who noticed that most female customers spent an awful amount of time here, and they weren't even looking at the flowers, they were.." Jaehyun lifted his head, turning toward the source of the voice, trying to engage in the conversation, "Looking at me? Yeah, I noticed that a lot. You jealous?" Wow, wow, what just happened Jung Jaehyun, where did you get that bravery? 

She could feel the blood rushing through her spine, clashing with the cold embarrassment, her body felt warm, "Ha, that was funny." That's was all that she could speak of. Silence once again enveloped them.

The boy let out a long, loud sigh, "It's not even Valentine's day, why are there so many orders for couples?" 

"Duh, it's summertime," Haneul replied, vaguely. Jaehyun wasn't even asking for an answer in the first place. "your point is?"

"You really don't know?" Her activity came to a halt, attention averted to the male, the embarrassment before was forgotten, "Summer love. It's summertime that a lot of people fell in love, ring a bell somewhere?" 

"You call that love?"

"You don't?"

"I don't know," He resumed his activity, "The idea of love seemed kinda funny to me," He paused, "I don't quite understand it, maybe don't even believe in it." He chuckled. "What about you, do you believe in love?" 

She really cannot focus on her work anymore, all of her attention is given to the male with the baritone voice. "What about your feelings for your parents and vice versa, to Cat? Those aren't love?" 

"Our family respect each other, and I care for Cat. And that, I wouldn't consider as love." He flipped another page as the paper ruffled.

For a moment no words were uttered until she broke the silence, "I mean, I wouldn't say that I don't believe in love, I haven't find it yet would be worded better. But if you said you don't believe in it, it's understandable, it's not for everyone after all."

The bell suddenly went off.

A customer is here.

"Hyuck?" She tilt her head slightly, confused, she didn't remember telling him where she works.

"H-Haneul?" He stuttered somehow, by the sight of her. "Why are you here?" 

"Wasn't that my cue?" She laughed as she asked him. "I work here, Hyuck." Genuinely, she replied.

"I see." He seemed to be holding his breath. "I'm here to pick up flower, for a friend of course, I was just helping him pass the flower." He speaked, without stopping. 

Ooookaaay. Calm down.

"May I get your reference name, Sir?" Jaehyun interrupted the two of them.

"Haechan." The younger male stated.

"Haechan?" She buzzed her confusion, "I go by Haechan now, by the way." Somehow, she felt like she was left out, and it's not a good feeling. 

Also because, she knew the content of the letter requested by that certain customer. 

'Happy birthday, precious one.'

"I'll go get it." The baritone voice hung in the air as he taps ever so lightly on her hand. "What?" He flashed that smile again, "It's rose right, I'll do it." He left to get the order only to return a few moments later.

As if sensing something was wrong, he handled everything, letting Haneul by his side, almost hiding. 

"Talk to you later, Haneul." Hyuck half-smiled after receiving the receipt and a thank you, please come again.

"Yeah, sure." She replied with a smile, plastering the churning twisted feeling she felt in the stomach. She thought of many many reasons, to throw, bury, forget the initial thought that she had in mind. He was getting his friend's order! Not his. But why did he used his name instead of his friends? Why did he dressed up so good? He's going on a date? Maybe he's having a fancy dinner with his family. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe. But not like I'm anyone special in his life.  

Donghyuck was long gone when Jaehyun woke her out of her reverie by inviting Haneul to his house. "My nana is a lot healthier now. So my mom want to celebrate it. Nothing special, just some feast. But it'll be nice if you come." 

She didn't want to cry, not now. She wanted to run back home, hide herself, wrapped by the warmth of her bed, her safe haven, well maybe not a haven, but it's better than breaking down infront of him while looking this vulnerable.

"Stop." Her movement stopped, she didn't realised she was trembling apparently and Jaehyun's voice pierced right through her. Not quite sure what is about to happen, but she can see small steps taken by the male, striding towards her.

"Haneul." He called out, firmly. But she said nothing.

The proximity of them is making her slightly anxious, her breathing hitched.

Delicately, Haneul was cradled in the arms of the boy facing her, tips of his hands barely brushing over her back, careful, at this sudden amount of affection. She was tense, before starting to relax again, soothed by the comfort.

"You don't have to say anything," His voice soft, almost whispering. "But I'm here, for you."

It's too much, he is too much. She thought. 

She raised her head to face him, no words were out but his smile speaks to her heart.