Could it Get Better

The Universe We Looked Upon

"Ah, Jung Jaehyun."  Haneul's dad smiled, but she knew he was contemplating on something. "Somehow, you looked a little different from how her mother described." 

"Oh really, how did she described me?" Jaehyun faked a laughter. 

"She said Haneul's date was slightly tanned and quite stocky. And when I think about it, the name's quite off. I thought it was Lee something." 

Jaehyun furrowed his eyebrows slightly.

"Duh, you guys only had two grandchild but can't barely remember my date's name."

"Having children was already hard, imagine having granchild. Not one, but two!" He seemed so frustrated that Haneul almost bursted out laughing that she later cancel the thought because her dad might cry of feeling offended. 

"You two went to the same elementary school right? But then both went seperate ways since middle school. How did you guys decided to meet up though?" 

"Shhh, you are asking too much now. Go get some rest dad, you are still unstable." She tucked him in and the same time cutting him off, not wanting to lie to him anymore. 

Jaehyun only stood still from the corner of the room. 

Haneul took a seat next to her father, "What on earth exactly happened Lee Hansoo?" 

Haneul's dad looked at her in disbelief, it was just few hours since he got into the accident. 

"Sweetie really, is that supposed to make me feel better?"  

Haneul did not say a word and just stared at her father intently. 

"Fine. I was rushing to get to you, since you told me your date hasn't arrive yet. I'm worried if he'll stood you up." He explained. "Then I accidentally hits someone's car. Now here I am." 

Haneul was stunned. It did happened.

"Dad!" She tapped lightly on her father's shoulder, smiling even though her eyes looked sad. "He's here, okay." 

"I'm sorry to make you worry, Mr Lee. Something suddenly came up and delayed my date with Haneul." Jaehyun suddenly exclaimed.

Haneul's dad nodded in acknowledgement. "But what exactly came up? She had to wait for almost two hours if not more." Her dad suddenly snapped.

Jaehyun turned to Haneul, flabbergasted, you waited that long? 

Haneul looked away, not wanting to look pathetic. 

"My dog," He mumbled his way through. "He was throwing up for no reason, I had to take him to the vet since no one was at home. Apparently he got upset stomach." 

"Oh." Haneul's dad expression softened. "Is he okay now? Where is he?" 

"He's doing fine." Jaehyun smiled cheekily. "He's in the car now." 

"In the car? That is not very comfortable, you should get going." He looked a bit frantic.

"Also, can you take Haneul home?" Her dad suddenly questioned. 

"Dad! It's okay I can take the cab." 

"Haneul, no, it's gettting dark outside and he was late for the date. It's the least he can compensate." Her father stated.

"But his dog was si-" "Sure, I'll send Haneul home." Jaehyun replied calmly without even questioning the distance. 

And so Haneul and Jaehyun bade farewell to her dad. 

By the time they reached the parking lot, sun was starting to set, the sky was bright orange with pink streak and slightly blue from the morning sky, it was breathtaking. 

Just before they got into the car, Haneul took out her phone and capture the beautiful scenery. 

As they buckled up, Haneul glanced at Jaehyun, "Why are you like this?" 

"Like... what?" His hands were busy igniting all the buttons, he barely replied Haneul's look. 

"This whole driving me around. Let me just, check how long we met." She pulled out her left wrist, to check the time. "It's now 8 pm, we met in the noon, so-" 

Jaehyun chuckled, "I was just helping. Besides, Cat is getting education." He turned around to see Cat, who was sleeping soundly. 

"My dad too, why does he trust you so easily?!" What if something bad is going to happen to me?

"Right." He pouted his lips, furrowed his brows. "Why did he believed me?" He stared at her playfully, she carefully return the stare, eyes nervously moving upward and downward.

But she did not answer the question.

Jaehyun did not stop what he was doing, slowly and steadily,  even moving slightly towards Haneul.

Without waiting any longer, she shoved Jaehyun's face, adjusting his view to be at the road. ", do you want us to get into accident? I mean, my main concern is Cat." 

Jaehyun bursted out laughing, tapping ever so lightly on the steering, "You should see your face!" 

Haneul looked towards him, it's getting dark, she could only see his face when the street lights illuminate, and when it happened, she could see his laughing face, how his nose scrunched up to tiniest bit at the edges, and how he smiled. It's the kind of smile that transforms him into someone else entirely. 

She quickly looked away, rambling abouts, searching for the radio button.

Once it is on, it played familiar melody. 

"Wait, LANY?" She waited for a few seconds, "It is them!" She sounded so excited. "Can I see your playlist?" 

He chuckled slightly before showing his playlist.

Haneul gasped while clapping "An. Actual. Intellectual." She scrolled down his playlist to discover he listened to a lot of the same artist which Haneul favours as well. 

Jaehyun smiled again in reply, he is more interested to see her enthusiast, it's fascinating.

"You know about this song?" She asked while Thru These Tears by LANY was playing in the background, "This one?" He replied then shook his head.

"He dedicated to Dua." She somehow felt melancholic listening to it. "Paul dated Dua? I didn't know that. And what about this song?" He anticipated. 

"They broke up now. She used him as a rebound. But Paul tho, he did not make one break up song, he made two!" Haneul is almost angry, Jaehyun bursted into laughter for the second time within the span of one hour.

"Wait. Haneul. Where is your home again?" They had to stop by the curb. 

"Again what, I haven't even told you where is my home." She cackled at him. 

"Yup. Right." He rubs his nape again. It's one of his habit when he's flustered. 

"It's actually pretty close to the park we met. When we reached there I'll give further explaination."

He nodded his head and not wanting to waste any more time, he continued driving.

The ride was not awkward, it felt comfortable. They talked about their music preferences, recommending new songs to each other and with no time, they actually reached her 4-walls.

"Aaaand here we are." He pulled over infront of a traditional meets west decent-sized bungalow. 

"So, yeah," She turned her whole body towards him, "Thank you for everything today. I owe you a lot." Sincerely, Haneul exclaimed while fumbling her bag's strap. 

Jaehyun only nod again.

"You are a nice person, with a good music preference too." She suddenly remarked.

"That was so random!" And so Jung Jaehyun finally lost it. 

He's so silly.

"Well, it's my cue to go now." She was about to step out of the car. 

"Wait." She turned back to him. "Can I contact you?" 

She raised her eyebrows slighty. "Yeah, sure. Give me your phone and I'll give mine." 

"It's about the ice cream and for Cat too, yeah especially for Cat." Jaehyun mumbled as he took out his phone to exchange with Haneul. 

She tilted her head as she flashed a smile to him. "Yeah, I'd love to eat the ice cream, with you." 

"See you later, alligator." He exhibited his right cheeks dimple as he smiled at her. 

"After a while, crocodile." She replied back to him. "You too, Cat!" Quickly, she caress it before she step out. 

And so the day ended.