Not that Sunny

The Universe We Looked Upon

It took less than 10 minutes to walk from the park to the ice cream parlour.

The walk was quiet but not too awkward, both of them enjoyed the walk. 

It was a small white shop, slightly secluded at the corner lot. 

The doorbell rang as they entered the shop, "Take a seat, Haneul. I'll order the one I mentioned before." He also handed Cat's lash to Haneul, "Take care of him as well."

So Haneul just did as she was asked and Jaehyun queued.

 

This time she received a phone call, her dad.

"Hello, dad." She greeted annoyingly. "I'm doing absolutely fine now. Should I send you a picture?"

The line was quiet, odd.

Suddenly, a voice clearing his throat was visible to Haneul's ear, but it is not her dad, "Is this Mr Lee Hansoo's daughter?"

"Yes."

"Alright, so your father is admitted to the Seoul National University Hospital. He got into a car accident."

Haneul's heart almost stopped beating.

"But please do not get panic, it was just a minor injury. He's currently resting. I hope that you are well informed. Thank you." The other line replied.

"Thank you, sir. I'll be there soon." Haneul ended the call.

She was about to get up to tell Jaehyun she has got to leave but Jaehyun was already standing next to her.

 

"Is everything okay?" He looked concerned.

"Uh, I need to go to the hospital." Her face was pale, almost white. Her hands trembled. 

"Which hospital was it?" Jaehyun out of the blue questioned.

"SNUH."

"Okay, let's go. I'll send you there." Jaehyun replied in a heartbeat.

"Wait, what. It's okay I can take the cab." Haneul was taken aback by her new friend's answer.

"Cab is expensive. I'll send you for free." He was about to grab her hand and she was about to give in as well, "Wait, not for free. More dog tricks, okay" He goofed.

She snorted. "Yes, dude. For sure."

They head out and the sky that seemed so bright before suddenly turning grey, it is about to rain, heavily. 

It starts pouring so hard, right before she got into Jaehyun's car. 

Haneul shivers slightly, wearing a sundress is not the best choice today

"Catch!" Haneul looked towards the source of the voice. Jaehyun was about to throw her a towel that he took from the car's boot. 

Abruptly she caught it. "Thank you." She said to him who just joined her in the car. "But what about you, you are soaking wet." Her head is starting to spin, she is worried about her dad, she also felt bad for Jaehyun, so she utters her word one by one. 

He smiled sweetly, that smile again. "It's okay," He took off his sky blue flannel, revealing his white t-shirt. "I'm not fully drenched yet."

She nodded to his reply. 

"Buckle up. We're about to go now." Cat suddenly howled. 

"Oh, what's wrong Cat?" Haneul turned around while drying her hair with the towel that Jaehyun gave to Cat that was comfortably lying on the car seat.

"Oh, he's always excited for car rides," Jaehyun muttered as he starts reversing from the parking lot.  

The ride was silent, Jaehyun did not say a word because Haneul looked nervous, she was picking her nails now, fiddling with it quite harshly. 

"There's still quite some time before we arrive at the hospital. You might as well tell me what happened, you can calm down a bit." 

"My dad," She inhales deeply. "He got into a car accident." She continued her nervous habit which was picking her nails. 

Jaehyun bulged his eyes, though not saying anything. 

"The doctor said he's fine. It was just a minor injury. He's just resting now."

"Thank goodness." He had a hand on the steering, whilst driving he sometimes shifts task to look at Haneul.

"But I still feel really bad. The accident was partly because of me. He was too worried about my date." She looked at the empty space.

"Your date. Yeah. That too. What happened?"

"What else, he stood me up." 

Jaehyun only replied in acknowledgement. Haneul was surprised and glad at the same time as to why he did not ask more, but nonetheless, she does not need to explain.

They finally reached the destination. The rain stopped as well. 

Instead of dropping her at the door, he parked at the parking lot. Haneul slightly weirded out. 

Apparently, he stepped out at the same time as Haneul. "I'm going to pay your dad a visit as well." 

She shrugged. "As you wish."

 

Haneul went to the reception counter and after a while, she was well informed about her father's room. She rushed right away. 

Slowly she opened the door of her father's room, not wanting to wake him up. But then he was already wide awake when she entered.

"What took you so long!" Her dad voiced out, before realising there was someone else rather than just his daughter. 

"Dad-"

"Oh hello there young man," Haneul's dad greeted Jaehyun nonchalantly, totally ignoring Haneul. 

"Hello, Sir," Jaehyun replied, composedly.

"Dad, are you going to ignore me here??" She was looking for her dad's attention.

"Haneul we can talk later, introduce to me to your date first." Her dad smiled, almost devilishly.

Haneul awkwardly turned her head to Jaehyun, not knowing what to say. 

"It's Jung Jaehyun, Sir."

Oh no. OH NO.