One Sunny Day

The Universe We Looked Upon

"I'm waiting for someone. However, you can amuse me in the meanwhile." said a girl in a yellow sundress, hair just above her shoulder whilst petting a golden retriever.

Just at the moment he's about to approach his dog, it decided to perform a never-before-seen trick. His movement came to a halt. 

"What is she? A dog whisperer?"

His initial plan was revoked and instead, he stood still at the same spot for some good amount of time. Until, the boy and the girl met eyes. She looked frantic, almost nervous.

"Is it yours?" The warm breeze of spring transitioning into summer was blowing throughout the Seoul Forest, soft rustling of leaves was visible to the ears and it reveals the soft features of a young lady.

"The dog? Yes, it is." The respond was monotonous.

The breeze suddenly felt a little too cold.

"I- I'm sorry, I thought the dog was a stray dog. Guess it is indeed too beautiful to be a stray dog." She slightly stammers.

His sour face all of a sudden turned into a smiley one, exhibiting two deep dimples on both sides of his cheeks.

"I absolutely don't mind. It was really amazing to see you did that trick on him. I've never succeeded on that one."

"It's a him? What's his name? What a good boy!" She squealed excitedly as she fondles the dog.

"Cat. That his name." He didn't blink.

She stared at him in confusion.  

"WHAT?" 

"Don't give me that look, I'm sure there are other people that named their pet like that as well." He pursed his lips slightly before rubbing his nape.

"Like I said anything." She smiled sheepishly.

Both of them remained silent until the boy broke the silence by asking her to do some favour.

"Can you teach me to do those dog tricks? In exchange for that favour, I'll treat you the ice cream from that parlour. Have you tried their secret menu?" 

She was surprised that he didn't stutter at all. She shook her head to reply to his question, "I never had their normal menu, let even secret menu."

His eyebrows knitted in disbelieved, almost shocked. "You are absolutely missing out. Their caramelised peach and brown sugar ice cream is to die for."

"Such flavour exist?!" She gulped her saliva.

He nodded his head, "How does that deal sound? Are we on the same page?" 

"I don't want to be rude to reject your offer because that dog trick is pretty easy and that ice cream sounds heavenly but I'm actually waiting for my date." She lowered her head. "I'm really sorry."

His lips formed an 'o' shape and he smacked his head. "Obviously! Duh, I'm sorry too. That was so blunt of me. Well, if we ever crossed path again, the offer is still valid." He smiled so sincerely, even his cheeks formed lines that looked like cat whiskers. 

She lifted her head, cheeks stained peach in embarrassment, 'Sure..." Her words trailed off because she didn't know his name.

"It's Jaehyun, but you can call me Jae. And you are..?"

"Haneul." She replied with a shy smile. 

They both went seperate ways and suddenly Haneul's phone received a notification.

Her movement came to a halt. She turned around, Jae was also looking towards her.

"Haneul, you dropped your-" He couldn't even finish his words when Haneul suddenly spoke. 

"Jae, let's go get ice cream now."

"Okay..." 

And they both resumed their initial plan.