Hello, it's me

The Universe We Looked Upon

"Hello," said a young man with a honeyed version of bass voice on one end, "it's me."

"I know it's you. I mean, hello back." On the other end, the girl replied as she puts her favourite pink-gold bookmark in one of her current read before putting it away, tucking her hair behind her ear as well.

The man had his left hand in the pocket of his pants, looking down while smiling as soon as he heard her voice.

"I was wondering if you have any spare time on thursday morning?"  

She was looking out of her bedroom window, how tonight's sky seemed a little bit brighter, stars are literally bursting around and the moon is full, it's her first full moon since she came back. She opened the bedroom window, allowing the calm gust of wind of the night to embrace her. I want to remember this feeling forever.

"Haneul?"

"Sorry, I missed that. What did you just said?" She was finally brought back from her daze.

"I was asking how was your dad, and that Cat misses you." Somehow his voice was monotonous.

"I thought I heard it differently," She questioned him. "but okay, he's fine and tell him that I miss him too."  

"Aight, I was just pretty bored that's why I called. I'm hanging-" Jaehyun let out a small sigh, he kind of wants to see her again, but they were strangers, but she owes him Cat's education. Maybe I'm really lame and that was her politely rejecting my invitation. 

"Wait wait wait" She quickly seized the moment before he end the conversation.

"Yes?" He perks up a bit.

"Cat." She paused. "I need to teach Cat. Right?"

"Yup." He replied, again, in that boring tone. 

"Why didn't you remind me so?"

"I probably forgot about that."

"Also, the ice cream- I NEED to try the ice cream." 

"Really?" Haneul could almost hear him smiling a bit after she said that. "This thursday, morning, are you free?" He questioned her again.

"I am." If only she could see how he looked like on the other end when he heard the answer. 

"See you at the park."

"See you."

 

 

It is today- they decided to meet up again, after clearing up their schedules, for ice cream.

Jaehyun thought of picking up Haneul but felt kind of weird to pick up his new friend, her house is just walking distance from here anyway, but he was just trying to be nice. He was in confusion before she finalised that she was going to walk. He puts on his favourite black jeans, paired with bright oversized blue tshirt and black sneakers, he then drove to his destination. It wasn't that far, he just felt like driving today. 

Haneul on the other hand, spends most of her time selecting her outfit, it's not something rare, it happens all the time to be frank. After deep thinking, she went with white pleated pants and red chiffon blouse together with her espadrilles; it is quite sunny and she is walking.  

Along the walk towards the park, she viewed the scene she had not seen for song. So much things changing, though it still felt the same. The air, it felt familiar, but it was fresher. 

 

Suddenly she realised she didn't ask Jaehyun the specific meeting point. She pulled out her phone to contact him as she walks slowly, reaching the same place she waited for her date before. 

Her heart bursted a little, it's a wave of emotion of gladness, seeing familiar faces of Jaehyun and Cat. He was playfully throwing disk for Cat to catch and soon the golden retriever brought it back to its owner. 

She took baby step as she approached them, not wanting to disturb the lovely sight. 

Jaehyun only then realised the presence of Haneul when Cat went off to some direction, to Haneul, since he was having too much fun with Cat.

"How long have you been there?" He brushed his hair with his hand, just his little habit. "I'm sorry I didn't notice you."

"No big deal at all!", she smiled cheekily before giving her attention to already waiting Cat. "How have you been, pretty boy? I missed you." She fondles the dog lovingly.

In no time, Jaehyun learned tips and tricks from Haneul and it was, indeed, easy. 

"Don't forget to spend a lot of time with him, though. So you can understand each other."

"Are you giving me relationship advice?" He chuckled.

"Works both way." She giggled as she looked back at him.

"So," He stared at her, waiting for her to finish her words, as if not knowing anything. "My reward?" 

"What?" He scratched his head bit, "What reward, I don't understand?" Now his brows are all scrunched.

"Man, man", she shakes her head with pouty lips. "are all trash." 

He bursted out laughing, his eyes literally gone, and he goes around clapping. It was that hilarious for him. "Come on, I was just kidding. Let's go get it."

And so they walked together to the parlour. 

 

"You can go sit anywhere, I'll take your order." He told her as they entered the store. "But I kinda wanna see other flavours." She replied, hesitating to take a seat first. "Nevermind, I'll just go with peach since that's what you recommended." She then added before taking Cat together with her to pick a seat somewhere facing the beautiful scenery of the park, leaving Jaehyun to queue. 

After a while he arrived at their table with two cups of ice creams.

She gaped, "That. Looks. Amazing.", She quickly grab one of the cup, not realising she took Jaehyun's. "W- wait" He paused Haneul before she took a bite. "I already ate some." She smiled sheepishly before returning the ice cream to the owner. "You are that excited." He smiled at her, exposing one of his dimples again. She paid no heed and just dig in her portion. 

She blinked few times. "What's wrong?" Jaehyun asked. "It's really good, oh my god. Thank you for taking me here." She expressed. "You are very much welcome! There's other flavour too but I think this is my favourite. You see, I think I ate this more than I've eat vegetable for my whole life." He stated. She looked at him in disbelief.

"That is why you look so much like a peach." One stranger voice suddenly came into the air. "Dude, where have you been?! I visited last week and you weren't here." Jaehyun avert his attention to the voice. "Things been a little busy at uni. How's it going? You brought new friend?" The voice replied to Jaehyun.

"This is my new friend," Haneul turned to greet the voice, though she felt the voice was quite familiar, "Ha-" 

"Haneul?"

"Johnny?!"

Jaehyun keeps shifting his view to Haneul and Youngho, or as Haneul called Johnny.

"You guys know each other?"