Two

Different

 

 

Two

-----------------------------------------

 

 

"I'm sorry, you were saying?" Taeyong said finally after coughing hard for a full 10 seconds.

"You heard her, son. We've been arranging your marriage with Jaehyun here these past few years." His father turned to him with such a hard stare that clearly says don't you dare ruin this. He knew this would come sooner or later since he didn't have any control over anything, especially his own life. But he just couldn't stop the rage, the frustration, the disappointment from rising inside of him. His hand started to tremble, but he was quick enough to subtly hid it under the table. No. No one should know that part of him, the broken one. Especially not his father, he would just mocked him for how weak he is. He closed his eyes and count to five before opening it again with a new facade on. Pretending that everything was fine. He looked back to the expectant pairs of eyes in front of him then once again left a small smile. 

Their dinner dragged like a drought, it drained the life out of him. Their conversation would mostly rotates around the whole marriage thing, of how the venue should be, the decoration and every little detail he want nothing to know about. He just sat there idly till a voice awake him from his reverie. 

"Mom, I think we need to get to know each other for this to work out." The fine young man in front of him interrupted. Taeyong looked up to find him looking straight at him.

"Great idea! Jaehyun you should take Taeyong with you then. Have a date or something." The wife seems so enthralled by the idea.

"Alright then, if you'll excuse us." Jaehyun suddenly rose from his seat and bowed to the elder. He walked to the other side of the table and grab Taeyong's hand. Though still perplexed with the other's sudden action, he still rose from his seat and followed him.

"Oh wait I almost forgot, the engagement will be announced on our annual gala. So be ready you two." His father happily dropped the bomb right when Taeyong thought he could handle himself.

"But its in three days." He said in disbelief. His voice came out more like a whisper. His hands trembled once again inside Jaehyun's grasp but he couldn't control it this time. He unconciously tighten his hold as if seeking for something to keep him from breaking down right there and then to no avail. His breath only seem to shorten as if the air was stuck on his throat. 

"We will." Jaehyun answered curtly and walked them away from there. They walked in silence still hand in hand, Taeyong was like on auto pilot trying to recover himself.

"Are you okay?" Jaehyun asked after they arrived at the front porch.

"I'm fine." But Jaehyun knew better, as he watched the latter closed his eyes and took a breath before answering but he chose to ignore it.

"So anywhere you wanted to go, Taeyong-ssi?" He offered.

"You could drop it now. I know you did that to escape them." Taeyong said while fiddling with his phone then putting it beside his ear.

"I'm done, pick me up at the main entrance." He said briefly before putting the phone back down. Not long after a car pulled over in front of them.

"Thank you for saving us, I'll get going." He said with a polite smile before walking away.

"Wait a second, I have to ask you this. Are you okay with all of this sudden arrangement?" Taeyong stopped on his track, his back looked tense for a split second. But then he turned around with a bright smile that contrast his bitter laugh, almost mocking. There were no sparkle in his eyes, it somehow reflect defeat.

"What's there for me to say anyway?" And just like that he left the young man behind.

 

He would be lying if he said their encounter didn't intrigued him. In fact Jaehyun had been observing Taeyong's every move from when he first came till he left him just like that at the front porch of the mansion. In his eyes, Taeyong was something interesting. There was no denying that the both of them were against the whole marriage thing. But Jaehyun felt something in him stir, the urge to protect the guy he only saw today, Taeyong, was growing. Just like when he saw a drenced puppy under the rain, there's a strong urge to keep him and make sure he's safe.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------

 

 

 

Three days went by so fast, it was finally the day of the gala. Every person in the company was so hyped up and anticipating the occasion except for one person. Lee Taeyong, the young CEO of the company, was locking himself in his office from the past three days. Hoping the world would let him disappear but it seems like wishing for a unicorn were more realistic. A call reached his office early in the morning, reminding him of the announcement and how he is supposed to be picked up by his soon to be fiance at 7 sharp. What a wonderful way to start a day.

"I heard someone hasn't left his office again." A head popped out from the door gap that late afternoon.

"I have lots of work to do," Taeyong said nonchalantly while resting his chin to his palm.

"Lie better." The tall man let himself in and walked towards Taeyong's table.

"I thought I have a secretary to keep you away." Which only responded with a roll of his eyes in return.

"No welcome hug for me?" Taeyong approached the latter with a small chuckle and side hugged him.

"Come on, tell me what happened? If that old man give y-"

"Johnny, I'm getting married."

"And nobody told me?!"

"My father... he- he arranged it. They will announce it today at the gala. I- I don't know what to do anymore."

"Come on, this is not the Taeyong that I knew. He would've-"

"He left." He looked down, clearly defeated.

"Taeyong, you couldn't let him do this to you. It's your life, your future."

"He already did." He choked on his tears, the dam broke down after he kept it all inside for so long. The rage, the disappointment, the hurt and mostly the fear rushed out and it makes him weak. His sobs turned to strangled breath, his body trembled badly.

"Hey, hey Taeyong breathe. I got you." Johnny immediately embraced him as he had another attack. He rubbed his back in a soothing circle trying to calm him down and assist him to breathe properly.

To make the situation ten times worse, the door to the office was once again barged open. Another man stepped in the room but immediately halted when he saw the scene in front of him. He didn't realize his hands balled into fists on his sides. He cleared his throat to get their attention, which succeeded to make the taller of the two to turn around.

"J-Jae-Hyun?!" Taeyong who got a glimpse of the newcomer got even more panic. His breath shortens and he felt like collapsing. Jaehyun rushed to his side upon the realization of the whole situation.

"What are you doing? Call the ambulance!" Jaehyun shouted as he was about to scoop the collapsing man to his arms.

"No, he didn't want anyone to know about his condition," Johnny said sternly. With a grunt, Jaehyun put Taeyong down to the couch with his back resting on the backrest.

"Taeyong breathe with me," Jaehyun said softly while gripping on both of Taeyong's hands. Slowly rubbing a soothing circle at the back of his hands.

"Taeyong would you look at me?" He tried again, but his eyes remained tightly shut.

"No? Alright, how about this, I'll count to five and I want you to try to breathe with me." Jaehyun started to count repeatedly, and Taeyong actually listened. His breathing gradually became more even.

"That's great, now tell me is there anything you need, Taeyong?"

"M-my meds, my desk, left drawer." He said just above a whisper. Johnny ran to the desk and hurriedly searched the drawer before rushing back to the two across the room.

"How are you feeling?" Jaehyun asked carefully after handing him a glass if water Johnny brought along with the meds.

"I'm fine." He said in a small voice, eyes glued to his hands on his lap, too afraid to look up.

"Are you sure?" Jaehyun asked again, concerned.

"Aren't you here to pick me up?" Taeyong asked conversationally, trying to avert the topic.

"I... yes-" He was trying to say more but was interrupted.

"Can I come with Johnny instead?" Taeyong said, gesturing to Johnny whose standing by the other side of the couch.

"Tae-" Jaehyun was about to object but once again being cut off.

"Please?" Taeyong finally looked up and stared directly to his eyes. He was being desperate as he needed to gather up his sanity to went through the night, and with his soon to be fiancè around really didn't help at all.

"Alright, I'll meet you there." Jaehyun sighed, finally giving in and reluctantly proceeded to leave the place.

As Jaehyun was out the door, Johnny walked closer and joined him on the couch. Taeyong had his face buried on both of his palms as he leaned down.

"It's him. My soon to be fiancè." Taeyong said after a moment of silence he badly needed. Johnny just sat there in silent, already having a hunch as for who that person might be. He honestly thought the guy was not so bad, he seemed to sincerely care for his baby cousin (Yes, Taeyong is his cousin). But he still needs to watch that guy for the sake of his precious baby cousin.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------