Chapter 1

Sentimental

The corridor was silent except for the occasional sounds of the air-conditioners. The lights with his steps but he didn’t have the heart to notice as there was too much going on in Yoongi’s mind.

He absentmindedly was carrying his body to nowhere in particular. The only thing that mattered was that he was moving so maybe just maybe his body would concentrate on controlling his movement rather that pitying himself, but it was to no avail. Yoongi should have known better; it was always like this. He could never escape his thoughts no matter how much he wanted.

He shook his head as if trying to clear his brain when he noticed something from the corner of his eye. The dance studio’s light was on. Wait… was he on the second floor already? He didn’t even remember how he got here from the 7th floor. This question was followed by a more important one; why was there light in the room? The cleaners were always strict when it came to their duties (Mina auntie was the backbone of this company’s cleaning for a reason), he knew for sure that it wasn’t an accident, so the only other explanation was that there was someone, but who? He knew for sure that Namjoon and the rest of his crew form the music production had long left the building. Only he stayed, claiming that he had a song to finish and couldn’t leave it. Maybe Namjoon came back to check up on him? But then again he would have gone to the 7th floor not the 2nd, plus he was sure Namjoon had a date if his carefully combed hair and blushing cheeks were any indication.

Come to think of if the dance crews and trainees usually occupied the second floor, since all the dance studios were located there. To be honest, it was pretty smart of Seokjin to separate them like this. The first floor was the model’s, the second- the dancers, the third- the singers, the forth-groups, the fifth-the trainees, the sixth- the managing stuff, the seventh- the music production team, and the eight was the boss’s and the rest of the stuff and personnel. It made it much easier to know where someone or something would be.

So it had to be one of the dancers? Or even trainees? Yoongi knew for sure how the poor kids spent days and nights in that room to the point of passing out, although after Seokjin became to new CEO he made sure the kids didn’t take training to far. Bless him and his mother instincts.

Yoongi didn’t even noticed that he had long stopped walking and was staring at the illuminated curtains of the dance studio. To be fair, Yoongi was never a curious person, he didn’t give a about anything or anyone as long as it/they didn’t have anything to do with him. But then again it was 3am and he was strolling in his workplace pathetically trying to stop himself from thinking so why not. After all, the light distracted him enough not to think about the phonecall, so maybe scolding the trainee for staying late would prolong his distraction.

With these thoughts in mind he opened the door of the dance hall, not even bothering to knock, but what he saw there definitely wasn’t what he expected to see.

There in the far corner of the hall was someone crying- no not crying, full-on sobbing their heart out. The person’s shoulders were shaking from the force of their sobs. They were hugging their knees to their chest, and it made them seem so small and so pitiful. Yoongi couldn’t take the sight. Whoever they were, they needed help, but what could Yoongi do? There were a lot of things Yoongi was good at and much more things he wasn’t. Sadly, consoling someone was topping the list of the things Yoongi at. He avoided his emotions for so long that he could barely handle them, how could he help someone else do that? The last time he saw Namjoon crying in the studio, he turned around and run away because he simply didn’t know how to help him. And that was basically his best friend and his brother, so what good he could bring to the poor person crying in front of him. He mused the idea of running again like the coward he was, but then he looked at the crying mess in front of him again and just couldn’t do it. No matter how much he hated doing it, no matter how much he at it and how uncomfortable it made him but he had to help that person.

So Yoongi took a deep breath, whispered “here goes nothing” and approached the crying figure. The person didn’t even look up. He gently and slowly put his hand on the person’s shoulder to make them know they weren’t alone, in both senses.

The person’s body flinched and they quickly rose their eyes to look at the person who caught them in such an embarrassing situation.

Yoongi’s eyes also widened because there was no way the pathetic crying mess in front of him was one of the most successful idols of their company and the national sweetheart Park Jimin. The Park Jimin who was one of the members of J&J duo, along with Jeon Jungkook. The Park Jimin who just a week ago got a daesang for the best album and the best MV. The Park Jimin whose voice was so amazing that he left Yoongi, one of the best producers in all of South Korea, with an open mouth and wide eyes.

They spent a good 10 seconds just staring at each other, both in horror for different reasons.

Jimin was the first one to come to his senses.

“Yoongi-ssi, what are you doing here,” his voice didn’t sound like his at all- so raspy and broken.

Yoongi blinked repeatedly before trying to come up with a reply.

“I-I was working on a song and decided to take a stroll around the company to  get rid of sleepiness, but then I saw the light and thought maybe it was Mark overworking himself again. So I came in.”

Jimin just nodded and lowered his eyes. He his lips, which was a sign of discomfort and boy, did Yoongi understand that feeling. It was an even awkwarder situation than the time he told Taehyung that he was in love with Hoseok for Taehyung to reply that he had been dating Hoseok for 2 months at that time.

Yoongi shook his head to get rid of the memories and trying to come up with something to say. Before he could, Jimin cleared his throat and said.

“Well, um I-I I mean… I’ll head home soon, so sorry for the trouble.”

He quickly got up and tried to get away from Yoongi, all while avoiding eye contact. 

“You are known as someone who never cares or gossips, so I trust you to keep this to yourself,” added Jimin quickly on his way out.

Yoongi was still so shocked that he couldn’t even master a reply, so he just nodded which he was sure Jimin didn’t even see.

What a weird night.

 

***

 

The next day of the incident or more like the morning of it, Yoongi couldn’t stop thinking about it. Why was Jimin of all people in that situation? Don’t get him wrong, Yoongi was in the show-business industry himself, he knew for a fact that the smiling happy faces were a façade 99% of the time, but he never, not once thought that about Jimin. Jimin oozed genuineness. His smiles were always sincere, always warm. Was he that good of an actor?

Yoongi wanted to see him again in his natural state, maybe after seeing the real Jimin the smiling Jimin would seem fake, but then again Jimin was usually on the third or the second floors. He had no business to be in the seventh. And it’s not that Yoongi himself could go there. What excuse could he have? Everyone and their mum know Yoongi cares for like 3-4 people at most and they all are either in the management (cough Seokjin cough) or music production (cough Namjoon, Hyojin cough). 

While Yoongi was trying to think of a way to observe the idol without being suspicious, the chance presented himself  in front of a whole new album.

“… so what I’m saying is that if we finish the album in two months, it’ll get hyped enough for the global awards show, since it’ll be a month later. Can I count on you guys?” asked Seokjin.

“Have we ever let you down, Jin?” inquired Namjoon, with his characteristic dimples on full display.

“Then great. Although please inform of your promise to Yoongi as well, I have this terrible gut-feeling that he hasn’t heard a single word I uttered.”

“Don’t worry, it’s not personal. I’ve been here for 2 hours, but he only noticed me half-an-hour ago.”

“Don’t let him stay up again,” said Seokjin in his mama-hen tone.

“Will do!”

As Seokjin opened the door, Hyojin stumbled in, clearly not sober enough.

“Yesterday’s cloths, huh?” asked Seokjin wiggling his eyebrows.

“I refuse to work in this judgmental environment,” mumbled Hyojin as she rubbed her temples and went straight to her desk.

“Seriously, Namjoon how do you survive in a room with these 2 delights,” mused Seokjin turning to look at Namjoon again.

“I just love my work very much.”

“Or the boss,” muttered Hyojin over her cup of coffee loud enough for everyone to hear.

Seokjin blushed as he quickly went out, while Namjoon just spluttered.

“7 bottles of soju and 2 hours of sleep, but still got it,” said Hyojin triumphaly as she sipped her coffee.

“Okay listen up guys,” started Namjoon loud enough for Yoongi to start paying attention and for Hyojin to complain, ”Seokjin just told me that they changed J&J’s new album’s release date. They want it done in 2 months at most. So we have a month or so to work on ‘the best album we can possibly create’. “

Yoongi suddenly became very animated.

“J&J? As in Jimin and Jungkook?”

“Do you know any other J&J?” Namjoon furrowed his eyebrows,” What’s up with you by the way? You are acting weird. I know Hyojin was drinking and around (“That’s ist”), but I know for a fact you stayed here all night working. Usually you are just grumpier after staying up, but never like this.”

Yoongi sat back on his chair and lowered his eyes.

“I’m just going through something. Don’t mind me.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” asked Namjoon worriedly.

“Is there anything we can help you with?” added Hyojin with the seriousness that wasn’t there a few second sago.

“Thanks guys, but it’s nothing to worry about. What we really need to worry about is the J&J’s album. What’s the concept?”

Both Namjoon and Hyojin knew that Yoongi avoided the subject in his typical Yoongi way, but they let him because Yoongi is stubborn.

“Prince Charming.”

“Lame,” Hyojin got really proud of herself after seeing the small smile on Yoongi’s face.

“We have done worse. Remember the Werewolf concept?” asked Yoongi turning his chair to look at Hyojin’s reaction.

“Ugh, one more word about the concept-that-can’t-be-named and I swear to God I’ll pour my coffee on your favourite beany.”

All three chuckled as they started to discussed what they are going to do with the lame concept. Yoongi on the other hand couldn’t wait for the recording to start.

 

***

 

After saying goodbye to Namjoon and Hyojin and promising to sleep, Yoongi was yet again left alone with his thoughts. He didn’t want to go home, since there was the temptation of opening the photo album and looking through it, and Yoongi no matter how self-destructing could get, would rather not do it. So here he was in his studio again at 2:45 am with messy thoughts and unwillingness to deal with them.

He decided to stroll again. What if he saw Jimin again? That was very unlikely. It was just yesterday he caught the boy sobbing there, he wouldn’t be dumb enough to go back there. However, there was this tiny spark of hope that made Yoongi take the same rout today, except this time it was conscious.

When we reached the dance hall he couldn’t believe his eyes. It was lit again.

This time he didn’t even pause and went inside.

Jimin was in the same position sobbing just as hard and the only difference was his outfit.

“I can’t believe this,” said Yoongi not even realizing he said it aloud.

Jimin looked up again with teary eyes and furrowed brows.

“What are you doing here again?  I thought you won’t be here today.” Jimin’s voice was so small and laced with so much embarrassment, Yoongi felt bad for intruding again.

Although screw embarrassment, he’d get Jimin to talk about whatever is unsettling him even if he has to force him to.

“I could ask you the same.” Calmly added Yoongi as he approached Jimin and stood in front of him.

Jimin ducked his head low and didn’t say anything. It seemed like he hoped that Yoongi would just walk away after being ignored, but Jimin roughly underestimated Yoongi’s determinedness in helping him.

Yoongi sighed loudly and sat in front of the boy.

Jimin was so surprised by the action, that started staring at Yoongi, not believing that the cold, aloof Min Yoongi, the musical genious, would pity him so much.

Yoongi was staring back with determinedness in his eyes.

Jimin was apparently just as stubborn since he still kept silent which really annoyed Yoongi.

“So just I’m clear, I’m not going anywhere until you tell me what’s got you sobbing in the dance hall at 3am.”

“Why do you care?” asked Jimin instead, as he hugged his knees even closer and ducked his head.

“Why not? I’m bored and trying to avoid my own problems so why not try to find out and maybe help the guy I found sobbing at night?”

Jimin just stared at him not quiet understanding the situation he got himself into. He seemed to be contemplating something. Probably whether it’s worth to  trust Yoongi or not. After all they only ever met in professional settings when they had office parties or were recording their songs. He only knew Yoongi as the strict and talented producer he was lucky enough to work with, not the friend you can confined in. He was just an acquaintance or a colleague, nothing more.

Yoongi seemed to have guessed what was going on in Jimin’s head. Hell, he would be freaked out too if Jimin or Jungkook, or any other idol form the company approached him and told him to bear his heart out. Although, Yoongi knew something about himself that he didn’t about others, he was trustworthy.

“Jimin, look, I know this whole situation is weird as . Believe me I don’t spend my days finding successful idols crying in the dance halls at nights. I’m just as uncomfortable with this as you are, but for some weird reason I can’t leave you like this. No offence, but you look like you need help and I can’t really ignore that, no matter how much I want to.  I’m not as heartless as people think,” Yoongi said the last sentence with a small voice with intrigued Jimin.

“Does it bother you?”  Jimin put his chin on his arms and stared at Yoongi with inquiring eyes.

Yoongi raised his eyebrows.

“Trying to change the subject?”

“I just think it’s unfair that it’s only me who is going to bear my soul out to someone I barely know. Don’t you think that it’s only fair that you tell me what’s got you staying in the company all night and avoiding going home?”

“Where is the shy idol who thanked me like 30 times when I told him to take the chair beside me,” mused Yoongi with a small smile on his face.

“He is only awake at days. At nights you are left with less-respectful and much more careless version of him,” Jimin smiled in return and it made Yoongi feel all kinds of things.

“You know, I like him much better.”

“You alone,” Jimin’s smile was gone once again.

Yoongi stared at his hands for a while.  There was indeed something, that kept him awake for the second night in a row. The thing is he wasn’t willing to talk to Jimin (or anyone really) about  and yet he knew that if he kept it bottled up he’d snap. However, there was another thing he wanted to avoid; coming out to Jimin. He wasn’t entirely sure he could trust him.

Jimin snorted.

“What’s so funny?” Asked Yoongi.

“Just us. Two stubborn idiots who would rather cry and avoid going home than simply talking about things that worry them.”

“Amen to that,” joked Yoongi.

His smile was still present but he looked puzzled and Jimin knew exactly why.

“If you keep my secret, I’ll keep yours,” said Jimin stretching his hand.

Yoongi thought that if it came to the worst he’d simply say Jimin is lying or just start his life anew. He was used to that.

“Deal,” said Yoongi shaking Jimin’s hand.

“So… who is going to start?”

“Mine is a long story,” said Yoongi.

“Mine is very personal. I need to have a compromising info on you before I tell you mine.”

“So stubborn. Fine then. I’m such a good person and all for a brat like you.”

Jimin just smiled. Yoongi nearly got blinded by it but luckily he composed himself and after a heavy sigh started to talk.

“I’m biual.”

He closely watched Jimin’s face for a sign of … well anything. Jimin looked shocked, but he quickly recovered.

“.”

Yoongi’s features hardened. Of course Jimin wouldn’t take it well why did he even open his mouth. All of this was a mistake, it’s the same all over aga…

“I owe Jungkook 15000 won,” whined Jimin.

“What?”

“He kept telling me there was no way you were straight but I couldn’t believe it.”

“And why is that?” asked Yoongi defensively.

“Too good to be true,” shrugged Jimin.

“Wait what do you mean?” Yoongi’s brain was short-circuiting,” Do you like me or something?”

“Less like and more lust to be honest. You are just really hot,” casually said Jimin.

Upon seeing Yoongi’s shocked face however, he blushed and started stammering.

“I-I-I… Sorry. I’m just really tired and sad and exhausted and at times like these I don’t have a mouth filter at all. You know when you get sleepy and started talking about random it’s the same with me. I just say whatever comes to my mind and you made me feel so relaxed that I ed up. I’m sorry if I creeped you out really…”

“It’s-um- it’s ok, don’t fret,” Yoongi tried to sound chill but internally he was screaming non-stop.

“Are you sure?” asked Jimin timidly.

“Yeah, it’s ok. Also, I just realized that it must mean that you like guys as well?”

“What’s not to like?” joked Jimin,” It’s not too hard to notice, actually. The last time I eye-ed the hot interviewer so intensely I didn’t hear his question at all. Jungkook elbowed me so just so I’d come to my senses. I should be the definition of the phrase “gay disaster”.”

Yoongi was laughing loudly. He couldn’t recall the last time he felt so at ease, so calm. Jimin was really something.

“Could be worse. Hyojin once spent a month courting after a girl she liked for the other to think she was just being nice.”

“Oh my god, that’s so much worse,” Jimin was laughing as well,” Although I didn’t know Hyojin noona was gay as well.”

“Crap, maybe I shouldn’t have said it,” murmured Yoongi.

Jimin put his hand on Yoongi’s.

“it’s ok, you can trust me.”

For some reason Yoongi whole-heartedly believed him. Jimin blushed again and quickly pulled his hand back.

“So that was what was bothering you? Being bi?”

Yoongi got serious again.

“Not really. I love being bi and I love being me, it’s just some people in my life aren’t really fine with it, to put it nicely.”

Jimin looked at Yoongi sympathetically. He could guess what was disturbing Yoongi.

“Are this people your family by any chance?” he asked slowly.

“Yeah,” answered Yoongi after a short pause.

“Is that why they disowned you?”

Yoongi tightened the grip on his hands until his knuckles were white.

Jimin regretted mentioning that. Everyone in the company and the music industry knew that Yoongi used to have some trouble with his parents and got disowned when he was 16. However, Yoongi avoided explaining what was the reason for it. He only ever explained it in one interview and he just said that his parents didn’t like the idea of their son becoming a producer. No one besides Seokjin, Namjoon and Hoseok knew the real reason. Hoseok…

“It’s not the whole story. They disowned me 8 years ago, I’m over it. They contacted me again recently.”

“What? Why?”

“They just recently realized that their son is in fact Suga. Can you believe it? I’ve been recording ever since I was 15, I got famous when I was 21, TWENTY ONE. And they didn’t care so much about me and didn’t believe I me that when they heard that a 21 producer from Daegu became famous they didn’t think it was me. Can you imagine? It took them 3 ing years to realize that their son is the faceless producer.”

Yoongi’s voice and shaking hands were the indication just how pissed he was.

To be fair, ever since Yoongi got famous he avoided appearing on TV. As a rapper he only ever preformed in the underground bars, but as the celebrity he avoided showing his face. So it kind of explains why his parents didn’t know it was him, but it must’ve hurt Yoongi a lot.

“They pretended they didn’t have a son so much that they forgot about my existence. They didn’t contact me in 8 years. 8 years of radio silence, of telling people I died (I really wish I was making this up but they did tell their friends I died can you ing imagine) only to contact me again only to… only to…” Yoongi was chocked up he couldn’t continue.

His voice sounded more and more strained until he simply couldn’t talk anymore and was sobbing. And here it was. The snapping Yoongi was trying to avoid at all cost.

Jimin was speechless. He was expecting that Yoongi’s parents took the news bad, but pretending that their son is dead? It was ed up.

Jimin looked at Yoongi’s crying form and felt his heart shattering to pieces. He came close and hugged Yoongi, putting the guy’s head on his shoulder.

“Let it out. I’m here for you,” Jimin kept mattering as he rubbed comforting circles on Yoongi’s back.

Yoongi’s hands clutched the fabric of Jimin’s sweater and they stayed like that until Yoongi’s sobs quieted down. Maybe Yoongi was too broken and affection starved, maybe it was the warmth of Jimin’s body, maybe it was Jimin’s sweat voice telling him that he’ll be okay, that calmed him down enough to stop sobbing. He rubbed his eyes and cleared his throat before saying;

“You know the best part?”

“What can be possibly worse than telling everyone you are dead?” Jimin had never felt so much hatred towards someone he never met, towards anyone really.

“They only contacted me because they needed money for their shop,” Yoongi chuckled humorlessly at that.

Jimin gasped and pulled back enough to look at Yoongi’s face without breaking the hug.

“You are ting me? Please tell me they didn’t do that.”

“I wish I was ting you,” added Yoongi with a broken laugh, “Can you imagine it? For 8 years my parents didn’t care whether I lived or died, but since I have money now they decided that I’m worth something.”

“, Yoongi,” whispered Jimin as he hugged him again.

“That’s hyung to you, brat.”

They stayed like that for a while, hugging each other, one seeking affection, the other readily giving it to him.

After some time, Jimin broke the comfortable silence.

“Are you feeling better now?”

“Not really. But it’s not worse either so thank you,” came Yoongi’s muffled voice from Jimin’s shoulder.

“Anytime.”

“Do your parents know?” suddenly asked Yoongi.

“Yup. But my situation was much better. My dad caught me kissing my high school boyfriend, sighed and shouted to my mum “I told you to sign him up for football, not ballet.””

Yoongi just chuckled.

“Yeah, I mean, it was not perfect but they accepted me the way I was. No, wait, crap, here you are telling me your sad story, and I’m bragging about mine, sorry. I must sounds like an .”

“You are distracting me so it’s fine,” Yoongi was smiling again, “Although, I’m curious what happened after he caught you two kissing.”

“Dad invited Taemin to have dinner with us and I you not it was one of the most awkward 30 minutes of my entire life.”

“I’m starting to see why you consider yourself a gay disaster.”

Suddenly Jimin pulled away from Yoongi. After all, Yoongi was no longer crying and didn’t need comforting. Plus Yoongi was known as someone who hated physical intimacy and the least Jimin could do for him, was to respect his boundaries.

Yoongi on the other hand looked a bit disappointed before he composed his features to a neutral expression.

It was comfortably silent in the room. They were both lost in their thoughts before Jimin yawned loudly.

“Damn, crying is so exhausting”

“Tell me about it,” added Yoongi yawning right after him.

“It’s already 5am. We spent, what, 2-3 hours crying? We are really kicking this whole functioning-adult thing’s .”

“We sure are.”

“So… maybe we should get some sleep before our working day starts,” suggested Jimin.

“You have a place to sleep?” asked Yoongi standing up and pulling Jimin with him.

“Yup, there are a lot of cushions in the dressing rooms. You?”

“My studio.”

“So I guess that’s it then.”

“Yeah.”

They were in front of the dressing room when Yoongi finally said what was in his mind for at least an hour or so.

“Thank you, Jimin.”

Jimin turned to look at him.

“What for? You were the one who didn’t ignore me. Anyone else would never approach me the first night, and definitely won’t check up on me the other day. I can’t express what it meant to me.”

“If anything, it was me who talked and cried. I still don’t know your story.” Yoongi didn’t want to push him, but the boy needed to get it off his chest.

Jimin smiled sweetly.

“Then, I’ll see you again tomorrow.”

And with that Jimin waved and rushed to enter the dressing room, leaving Yoongi with a loudly beating heart and a soft gaze.