Crayons and Ice Cream

New Game

Jeongyeon heard a chime indicating that the bath was ready, she turned off the stove and washes her hands then making her way upstairs. She stopped at Wooyoung’s door and took a deep breath, and knocked.

 

“Hey, your bath is ready, come follow me.” She was smiling brightly at the boy and he simply nodded. Once they reached the bathroom Jeongyeon showed him how everything worked.

 

“And here's a towel; nice and fluffy. Your soap and shampoo; green apples. Come down to eat once you're all done ok?” Wooyoung almost scoffed at the woman's bright tone and kindness but instead he gave her a quiet ok that made her leave. He took off his clothes and stepped into the warm bath and practically moaned, he can't remember the last time he bathed with warm water. He started thinking, that maybe this wasn't a bad way to go out. The water's nice and warm after all.

 

'I'm tired of being in the system and let down and hurt and I don't know when these people will start hurting me, right now wouldn't be a bad time to finally end all this.’ He thought to himself.

 

He let his body sink under the water and just sat there. He sat there till his lungs started constricting in pain, begging for oxygen. He sat there as his vision started going blurry and his heart beat slower than it ever has

 

'Finally'

 

He suddenly saw something yellow float past him and he realized it was a rubber ducky, he now remembered that these women have a kid, a kid that'll probably come home to his parents finding his body.

 

'I can't do that to a kid’

 

He came up gasping for air, painful coughs wracking through his body. He stepped out of the hot tub but he felt weak, his vision went blurry and next he knew he was down on the floor with a loud crash.

 

Jeongyeon heard the crash And was at the bathroom door within seconds.

 

“Wooyoung you alright?! Hey! C'mon love open up!” She knocked on the door but she didn't get a response, she proceeded to open the door but not before announcing she was coming in.

 

She walked in to find the boy crouching next to the bathtub,  back turned, towel wrapped around his waist and gasping for breath.

“You-”

“I'm fine!” He cut her off sharply. Jeongyeon took the time to look at him to see if he had hurt himself anywhere but all she noticed was the old bruised and scars on his back, she wanted to ask but felt it was too soon. The boy got up and haphazardly walked out the bathroom holding on to the walls, he thanked God for the towel that was protecting the last bit of his dignity. He finally got to his room collapsed on the bed, he started to cry, everything felt so overwhelming and the fact that he didn't have anything to wear felt like tip of the iceberg, and he finally broke. What was he supposed to do now? Put on the same raggedy burned down clothes he came with? He couldn't grab anything because of the fire he only grabbed his book bag and ran. The knock on the door startled him out of his thoughts.

 

“Come in”

 

“Hey, I'm sorry to bother you again, it's just that you're taking a long time and I got worried and why are you still in a towel?”

 

The boys head was down in shame, his wet hair covering his face, she's sure she just heard him sniffle and mumble something.

 

“What was that love? You gotta be a bit louder.”

 

“I don't have any clothes…”

 

“Oh. Well, luckily the guy who usually stays in this room has clothes here that I'm sure will fit you.” Jeongyeon went to the closet that was filled with some of Jackson's clothes, looking for clothes that might fit the boy. Finally finding something she laid them out on the bed for him. She even laid out an unopened pack of underwear hoping that they fit him.

 

“Ok leave you to it, please come down to eat when you're done, didn't make this meal for nothing"

 

And she was gone, leaving him to have his privacy. When as she walked down the stairs their dog ran past her barking, she figured that Nayeon had pulled up on the driveway. She heard the door being unlocked and quickly hid to surprise Sungjae.

 

-

Nayeon was leaning against her car zipping up her coat as she waited for Sungjae to come out of school, the front of the school was filled with kids and parents and she had yet to see Sungjae and his teacher.

 

“Mom!!” Sungjae’s voice broke her eyes away from where she was looking, she saw Sungjae running towards her his teacher hot on his trail.

She laughed and picked him up once he reached her and then greeting his teacher.

 

“Chaeyoung, how are you?”

 

“Hey Nayeon, just chasing this little guy right here to tell him he can't run off without a teacher!” The shorter woman said as she poked and tickled him. Nayeon nodded and told Sungjae the same thing to which he said okay.

 

“So I'll let you two go, it's freezing. Tell Jeong hey for me and that she better be back next week!” Chaeyoung said now walking away.

 

“Hey come by for dinner some time ok?” Nayeon called out after her and she saw the woman wave and not. She finally put Sungjae in the car and strapped him in and then got in the front seat.

 

“How was your day today bunny?”

 

“The day was veryyy long today mom I don't know how. But it was" he said slumping into his car seat.

 

“Yeah I know what you mean bunny, cold days are usually quite long"

 

“And today instead of going to recess we stayed inside and watched a movie after lunch”

 

“Ooh sounds cool! What movie did you guys watch?”

 

“Scooby dooby doo!!” Nayeon smiled at his sudden  excitement when talking about the movie. She was pulling up to the familiar street of their neighborhood and she figured now was a good as time as any to tell Sungjae about Wooyoung.

 

“So bunny, speaking of staying places there's someone who will be staying with us a while”

 

“Is it uncle Jacks!? Is he back from his competition? I reallyy miss him…”

 

“Oh no, bunny it's not your uncle Jackson it's actually an older boy, he's also had a long day and might need some alone time every now and then but we'll be taking care of him for a bit.” Nayeon looked through the rearview mirror and saw that the boy was excited, she was now pulling up to the driveway.

 

Sungjae was excited he's always liked older kids, they were nice to him, carried him and always played with him so having an older kid living at home with him was going to be fun. He can't wait to meet him.

 

-

Nayeon pulled up to the house. Parking the car and getting Sungjae out, she could already her their dog barking and ready to welcome them. She opened the door and Sungjae was tackled by Titan who him all over as the boy giggled and squealed. Nayeon stepped over them and looked around for Jeongyeon, her wife was hiding behind the couch and signaling her to be quiet. She laughed at her silliness and sat down giving her a kiss, letting her hide again and waiting for Sungjae to come to the living room.

“Mommy I'm home and I missed you!!”

The boy stopped at the entrance of the living room looking around for Jeongyeon, and was confused when she didn't come out to greet him. He went to the couch to ask Nayeon where Jeongyeon could be.

“Where's mommy?” he asked as he climbed onto the couch, at that moment Jeongyeon jumped up from behind the couch and yelled “surprise" and started tickling the boy. After hugging him and asking him how his day went she helped him out of his coat and took him to the kitchen to wash his hands and get ready to eat. She was about to call Wooyoung down when he stepped into the kitchen. Nayeon got a good look at him and realized how young he looked, without the ash staining his face and the hair brushed out of his eyes he looked finally looked like a kid to her. The oversized sweater made him look adorable.

“Hi! I'm Sungjae!” Wooyoung looked at the boy as he sat down across him, raising an eyebrow at the kids enthusiasm.

“Uuh I'm Wooyoung." He said awkwardly. He watched as the two woman started putting food in the table and once they were done his jaw almost dropped. He hadn't seen a table with so much food or side dishes, his mouth was watering, he water till the two women started eating so he could serve himself.

“This a special dinner, to welcome Wooyoung. We know it's probably been a difficult 24 hours but I just wanted to say we are happy to have you.” Jeongyeon said smiling gently at the boy. She let the last sentence hang for a moment, searching the boy’s face for any signs of feedback.

"Uh... yeah, kinda been a bad few days for me." They boy spoke clearly for the first time today which made Jeongyeon and Nayeon's smiles widen, maybe the boy was opening up even if it was just a bit. He seemed to fidget, and move around his food mindlessly until he finally set down his chopsticks.

 

"Look, I don't wanna seem rude, cause you guys seem like good people but this isn't my first time dealing with foster parents or the ty system! So, you guys can spare me the we're happy to have you talk!"  

 

“Ooh he said a bad word!” Sungjae’s voice breaks the silence. The smile in Nayeon and Jeongyeon's faces instantly fell. Jeongyeon looked at Nayeon, lost for words almost asking for help, Nayeon was angry her wife was extending her never ending kindness and this kid practically stomped on it.

 

"You're right Wooyoung... you don't know us and we don't know you. And you probably didn't envision being here like three days ago. However, my wife is right we actually do know how difficult this must be for you." Nayeon was looking at the teenager with all the honesty in the world, and a little stern; He was 'rude' to her wife - nobody got away being rude to her wife.

 

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off ungrateful." Wooyoung turned to Jeongyeon to apologize. "It's just, I've been through this before, and it's always ends the same way," the teenager trailed off. Jeongyeon instantly softened,  she understood that its been a rough couple of days, it also didnt help that the kid had a baby face an adorable pout.

 

“Oh Its okay love. Let me tell you something we're probably feeling just as awkward as you, so we might tip toe around each other and clash and that's okay, we just hope that you can soon be comfortable.”

 

Dinner proceeded quietly with Sungjae babbling about his day, when they were done Wooyoung was the first so excuse himself walking backwards as he bowed. Sungjae followed him with his eyes and got of his seat as well. He thanked his mommies for the meal and gave then each a kiss, he quickly ran to his room grabbing his small Polaroid camera. His mom's had told him that anyone who stays in their home is family and that seems to be true, the only people who stay with them are his aunts and uncles and grandparents so now Wooyoung is family too. He needed to get a picture of him for his wall full of family pictures.

 

He approached the boys room, the door was slightly ajar, he peeked in to see the boy looking at a notebook. He raised his camera ready to snap a picture, the flash quickly went off startling Sungjae and Wooyoung. Wooyoung snapped his head up looking to where the flash came from, he opened the door quickly to see the child standing with his hands behind his back and eyes wide.

 

“Hi Hyung!” Sungjae said smile widening, thinking that Wooyoung would play with him. The older boy only sighed and rolled his eyes, and quickly went to close the door but the kid put his body in the way.

 

“Hyung wait!”

 

“Go away kid”

 

“But-"

 

“Go. Away.” And with that he shut the door. Sungjae pouted disappointed, he looked at the picture that had finally developed and he was gonna show to Wooyoung and noticed that the boy looked sad. He now remembered what his mom had told him ‘He's had a long day and might need some alone and every now and then’.

Oh. Well when I'm having a long day and need alone time mommy brings me ice cream and plays with me and my favorite toys. Maybe that's what Wooyoung needs!

 

This calls for a mission….

A mission only Super Spy Wooyoung can pull off…

 

Operation get Ice Cream and Make Hyung Smile

 

First I need my spy glasses and bag. Sungjae ran to his room and grabbed a pair of sunglasses and a small book bag, he quickly ran out the room and skidded to a stop when he reached the stairs.

 

These stairs could be heavily y trapped. My spy glasses will show me the lasers.  In Sungjae’s imagination the staircase was riddle with lasers and chainsaws that he had to avoid. He slowly went done the stairs, and with careful steps avoided each “Laser and Chainsaw" and skipped the last step doing a front roll once he landed and hiding behind the wall that was the entrance of the kitchen.

 

Now we have to avoid the mommy guards and if comes down to it, I'll  have to use my secret weapon. The Pout.

He looked inside the kitchen where his moms were talking.

“....bruises on his back Nayeon! Bruises on that baby! I think he was hurt where he used to live… How can they do that to a kid.” Sungjae heard his mommy say sadly, and his only pursed her lips and shook her head.

 

“I wouldn't doubt it, I hear there are alot of cases like that with shelters and foster parents” His mom said, grabbing his Mommy's hand and dragging her to the living room. Sungjae saw this as his chance, tip toeing exaggeratedly towards the fridge, he was glad that the freezer was at the bottom. He quickly stuffed 2 chocolate popsicles into his backpack and ran up the stairs to his room.

 

Now I need to find a toy Wooyoung would like… everyone likes coloring, I'll take that.

 

Sungjae grabbed the crate of crayons and made his way to Wooyoung's room. He knocked and waited but the door didn't open do he knocked again and the door finally opened.

 

“Look kid, I told you to leave me alone" and closed the door again. He didn't want to entertain a kid right now, babies are like puppies you can get attached easily and he didn't want that. He heard the boy start to talk thru the door as something was shoved under his door.

 

“My mom said you might need alone time, and sometimes I like alone time too, but to make me feel better my moms bring me ice cream and play with me…. I hope you like chocolate" He now noticed that the boy was  shoving ice cream under the door and quickly opened the door to avoid a mess. He gave up on trying to shove the boy away when he saw the bunny teeth smile and hopeful eyes he was giving him.

 

“Come in…” Sungjae skipped carrying his crate of crayons and dumping them on the floor startling Wooyoung. ‘What the hell’  he thought to himself, he didn't have time to say anything because soon enough there was a popsicle being shoved in his face and being told to come color. He smiled, a genuine smile and grabbed his tattered sketchbook, it was the only thing he bothered to save from the fire and sat down. They sat there and colored quietly until he finally spoke up.

 

“Sungjae, you're moms… are they nice?”

 

“The nicest! They always cuddle me, and play with me and take me out to eat and tuck me in and-"

 

“I think I get it.” Wooyoung cut him off with a chuckle.

 

“Do they ever uh... hurt you?” he asked now.

 

“Nope, though one time mom stepped on my foot and that hurted, and my mommy hurt my feelings once cuz she didn't show up in time for Christmas. But now she's Always on time” the boy had a cheeky smile and Wooyoung ruffled his long hair because of how cute he was. He wanted to really get an insight on these people and kids are the most honest thing in there so he was using this chance to learn about them. They colored, and talked and made each other laugh. Wooyoung was genuinely enjoying himself. He was lost in thought when Sungjae spoke to him again.

 

“Hyung, can you tie my hair please?” asked him, passing him a hairtie. The boy's long hair was falling over his face and he wanted to get it out if his way. Sungjae sat on Wooyoung’s lap back to him to let the older boy tie his hair.

 

“How come your hair is so long bro?” he asked the little one.

 

“We bros?” the boy turned to ask Wooyoung.

 

“Yeah we bros, now c'mon tell me.”

 

“Well my mommy's hair was short, but then it started to grow so I wanted to grow it too"

 

“And they let you?” He let the boy adjust himself on his lap, and he ended up letting him lay down on top of him.

 

“Yeah they said if it makes me happy then ok.”

 

Wooyoung smiled, he was starting to see what kind of household he was in and he felt a s small weight fall of his shoulders. He'll still be careful because even nice people can't be trusted.

 

But so far he thinks he'll be okay staying here.

 

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

I took a while to update right? Sorryy, I hope you all enjoyed the chapter. As you can see Wooyoung is a little... troubled. Sungjae and and Wooyoung meet and he's happy to have a Hyung. Don't get used to the word thoe I don't like using romanized Korean. It you can assume he says Hyung when he calls Wooyoung "Wooyoung hyung". Anyways, as always lemme know what y'all thought, feedback is appreciated, seriously it's what keeps me writing lol. Hope you all enjoyed the chapter.