SEVEN

Love me, Love me! (Don't hate me)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

May wasn’t sure what to do.

Finding out she had a crush on Sehun didn’t change anything, except now she knew why his smile was the trigger to her arrhythmia.

She might have acted nonchalant in front of Xiao but truth was, she was freaking out. She had no idea how crushes worked. Sure, she had her share of celebrity crushes but it was one thing to ogle and squeal at cute pictures of Luhan and quite another to feel the urge to squish something to bits when Sehun smiled.

Now that she knew it was a crush and not another attack, every time her heart jumped, it brought a flood of butterflies in her tummy along with this gooey, melty feeling that left her knees weak. And she had the strongest urge to just squish his cheeks together and dot his face with kisses and do weird baby talk stuff with him that was lowkey embarrassing.

It wasn’t like they had that many physical boundaries to begin with. She was notorious for invading personal space and Sehun had been surprisingly accommodating with her but she was sure even he would put his foot down if she went all the way.

And call her selfish but she wasn’t going to give up his wonderful hugs for squishes. Nope, she’d rather keep her hugs and cute eye-smiles.

Xiao thought she was being stupid… then again, Xiao always thought that, so that wasn’t anything new. But even Baekhyun was being unhelpful.

‘Then squish his cheeks, if you want it that badly.’ he intoned, too distracted by his game to even bother looking at her. ‘He’s not going to mind it.’

May stared at the back of his head, willing him to turn around. ‘How do you know he won’t?’

‘Hmm?’ he asked, tongue sticking out in concentration. ‘Won’t what?’

‘Won’t mind it…’ she asked, thumping his . ‘Baekhyun, answer me!’

Baekhyun groaned, his player dying on screen. ‘Ugh, you won’t even let me concentrate…’ he whined, turning over and kicking his legs about.

‘Baek…’ she whined, falling right beside him and crawling up to his face, pouting. ‘I’m having a crisis here.’

‘That was golden league!’ He pouted right back at her and they were both engaged in an intense battle of babiness when Xiao and Sehun walked in.

May sat up so quickly, she felt dizzy from the sudden loss of blood. ‘Whoa!’

Xiao glanced at Baekhyun’s legs, entwined with May’s, hoodie strings pulled all the way out, so it was scrunched with only his nose and mouth showing. And May, with her baby pout still in place. ‘Do I want to know?’

‘I’m cuter,’ Baekhyun insisted, using his cute voice. ‘Aren’t I?’ He pulled out sweater paws, making May narrow her eyes. That was playing dirty.

She fluffed her cheeks, and with her hair already in pigtails, she knew she looked adorable. She kicked her legs for added effect. ‘No, I’m cuter.’ She turned her puppy dog eyes to the newcomers. ‘Aren’t I?’

Xiao rolled her eyes, muttering ‘weirdos’ under her breath.

Sehun, on the other hand, coughed, his face flushed, not meeting their eyes.

‘Sehunna…’ she called, extending her hands and wiggling the fingers cutely. ‘I’m cuter, right?’

She didn’t notice Baekhyun doubling over with laughter, cuteness battle forgotten, at the panicked look on Sehun’s face. Xiao was also smirking, recording the entire thing on her cellphone.

‘Well, what do you say Sehun?’ Baekhyun asked, clearly laughing at him. Sehun threw him a dirty glare, getting a raspberry blown at him in response.

He was about to snap but then, his gaze slid over to May, eagerly looking at him with her big, bright eyes. His heart thudded, stomach fluttering and the urge to just pull her into a hug and kiss that cute, cute pout off her lips intensified alarmingly.

He could hear Baekhyun and Xiao cackling, obviously picking up on his thoughts but the person behind them was still staring at him, hopefully oblivious. Ugh, she was just too cute.

His lips curved into a fond smile and he answered, honestly. ‘Of course, May’s cuter.’

May cheered delightedly, pushing Baekhyun away to rush at him and Sehun opened his arms, welcoming her naturally. As he pulled her into a tight hug, he saw Xiao drag Baekhyun up by the scruff of his neck and pull him away. ‘Leave them be,’ she whispered.

The door shut behind them, leaving them alone, entwined in an embrace. If he could, he’d stop time because everything in that moment was perfect.

………………………………………….

May’s heart was thumping so hard, it was all she could hear over the internal screaming of ‘Kyaa! Sehun thinks I’m cute!’.

She felt a little guilty for burying closer than was strictly necessary, but his arms were wrapped around her securely, wide shoulders curled in protectively and her head was resting right over his wonderful, wonderful chest. She didn’t have the willpower to back off.

Instead, she closed her eyes, a smile splitting her face. Of course, May’s cuter. So matter of fact, like it was a given. Kyaa! she internally squealed. Her face felt hot, like she was blushing but how could she not?

Her fingers curled into his shirt and she buried her head even more in his chest, pleasantly surprised when Sehun tightened his arms in response. Like he didn’t mind holding her like this. Like maybe he liked her too. 

Her mind screeched to a halt.

What the hell was she doing? Sehun only liked her as a friend, he’d been hugging her since the start and of course, he’d meant those words platonically. Why was she getting all giddy like this? Her crush on Sehun didn’t mean he returned her feelings.

And she was never, not ever, going to give up these precious, warm hugs that made her feel like the most cherished, most protected person in the world. Even if it meant having her feeling forever unrequited. She valued him too much as a friend – had worked too hard for it – to risk losing him over her feelings.

Her heart clenched, the thought of losing him actually, physically painful. Sehun’s heart thudded loudly, like it too was protesting.

Reluctantly, telling herself to get over it, she backed away.

Sehun didn’t immediately loosen his arms, holding her close as if he was as unwilling to let her go as she was to part. Hope, stupid hope, raised its head again but she squashed it cruelly.

Sehun’s arms slid down, coming to a rest on her waist and he slowly pulled back, putting them face to face. 

May was suddenly extremely aware of their proximity, the way his breath fanned over her cheeks, eyes lingering on her face. Her heart started racing anew, and she could feel herself pinkening under his unrelenting gaze.

But she didn’t look away, too captivated by his eyes, the lashes that cast shadows in the chocolate depths, speckling them beautifully as he looked at her, so full of affection.

She blinked slowly, as if in a daze, not wanting to close her eyes too long lest she miss the beautiful view.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter