THREE

Love me, Love me! (Don't hate me)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It turned out that she’d twisted her ankle during the fall due to the cord wrapping around her foot. So, she couldn’t participate in the rather violent game of musical chairs going on around them.

Usually, either Baekhyun or Xiao would skip out on the game to keep her company but since there was another person who’d excused himself, they’d left May in his care and gone off to play.

Leaving her alone with Oh Sehun for the first time… ever.

May didn’t have the heart to tell her friends that she was probably unwelcome company for Sehun and maybe Sehun also was just too polite to say no. So now, here they were, sipping their drinks uncomfortably, trying to keep their distance on the two-person log they were sitting on.

She was even afraid to put her hand on the seat comfortably because it brushed against Sehun’s and while she wasn’t against skinship between friends, his reactions told her that he wasn’t comfortable. So, she kept her hands in her lap and sipped her lemon soda dedicatedly, like a woman on a mission.

Soon as it ended, she grabbed another one and when that ended, another; she would’ve continued doing so indefinitely had Sehun not commented on her intake. ‘Um… I-I think you should slow down.’

At first, she thought the hesitant comment was part of her imagination – she’d dozed off, the previous week of sleeplessness catching her off-guard and she dismissed it. In what world would Sehun talk to her, except in dreams, right?

Then, she’d felt a hesitant hand on her own, staying her from taking another sip and she opened her eyes. Sehun was leaning down, frowning.

And somehow, with everything that’d happened and the amount of undue stress and hurt he’d given her, she didn’t think his frown was justified at all.

‘What is your problem?’ she demanded, sitting up so abruptly, their noses bumped.

Sehun backed up quickly but May was having none of it. Did she mention being sleep deprived made her impulsive and removed her filter? Well, maybe not to Sehun but that was his own fault for not bothering to get to know her.

‘Er…’ he began, looking cautious. May overrode him, standing up. ‘I don’t get it. I’m likable, I’m nice and friendly, and I haven’t done anything to warrant this!’

‘Um…’

‘Why do you hate me?’ she cried, wanting to tear her hair out in frustration. She rubbed her forehead vigorously, feeling a migraine build up. ‘I tried to let it go, like Xiao said and not let it bother me but you know what?’

She whipped her head to glare at Sehun, who looked lost and confused. Which irritated her even more because if anyone had the right to be confused, it was her. ‘It bothers me and I’ve had enough. I need some answers and I need them now. Why. Do. You. Hate. Me?’ She poked him with every word, making him stumble, fall back into his seat with a thump.

She leaned close, breathing heavily, the anger going out of her with her words. Abruptly, she felt tears filling her eyes and she rapidly blinked to clear it away.

‘Why?’ she asked again, voice breaking, all the hurt she’d been carrying around with her pouring into the single word.

He opened his mouth, then closed it, blinking rapidly, then his lips and asked, ‘Are you crying?’

That’s all he had to say after she’d bared her heart and laid out her vulnerabilities to him. She turned away quickly before the tears came for real. ‘NO!’

Before she could truly breakdown, she marched off, uncaring of her foot and what or who she bumped into. In the noise around them, it was obvious no one had heard their argument. Which was good because it meant she could sneak off and cry on her own until she calmed down.

If Baek or Xiao saw her like this, they’d probably forbid Sehun from ever joining their parties again and she didn’t want that. She just wanted Sehun to like her and joke with her and give her eye-smiles and waves and just… acknowledge her existence.

But that seemed to be out of the question, so it was best to cry it all out.

She found a dry spot underneath the pier, her back against the wooden post, and buried her head in her knees, ready to cry her heart out.

She’d barely gotten started, though, when she heard someone calling for her.

‘May?’ The person sounded hesitant as if unsure of her name or something. She peeked from behind her hiding post and eyes expanded.

Sehun was looking around, obviously searching for her. Her heart jumped to when his gaze landed where she was and she hurriedly straightened but he’d seen her.

‘May…’ He came closer, breathing heavily as if he’d been running. She peeked again to find him staring at her. ‘What’re you doing under the pier?’ he asked.

She suddenly remembered she was broken-hearted and supposed to be crying; so instead of replying, she whipped her head back and determinedly buried it in her knees. The tears came quite easily be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter