SIX

Love me, Love me! (Don't hate me)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A fortnight or so later, May had a relapse.  Or well, that’s what she thought when her breath hitched again.

It had been a hectic day; she had a quiz and then, had to turn in an assignment and now, they had a group project to work on. Even the thought of so much work was exhausting her.

Sehun smiled to show he was listening, eyes scanning the article he had to finish and summarize. When she quietened, he looked around. May’s constant chatter was a surprisingly pleasant background when he read, and he’d gotten used to it pretty quickly. So, the sudden silence was rather jarring.

May’s mouth was twisted strangely, like she’d tasted something sour, a hand resting on her neck.

‘May?’ he asked, wondering what had gotten into her.

She put a finger to her lips to silence him and that’s when he understood. Without ado, he grabbed her hand and felt for her pulse, a jolt of worry going through him. Please, please, let her be okay, he thought frantically.

A sigh of relief went through him at the strong pulse underneath his fingertips, a steady rhythm that was just right. ‘It seems okay,’ he muttered, looking at her.

May nodded. ‘Yeah, I think so. I just had… a weird jolt or something.’

He eyed her closely. ‘You didn’t stay awake to study, did you?’

May avoided his eyes, giving him his answer. His lips turned down in a frown, eyes narrowing. ‘May?’

She nodded rapidly. ‘I’m sorry, I was just so worried about the quiz, I kept revising it and before I knew it, it was late.’

‘You’re lucky it was a false alarm this time…’

‘What was a false alarm?’ Baekhyun’s voice floated over. May gulped, knowing Baekhyun would scold her, unlike Sehun who still indulged her.

May shook her head. ‘Nothing.’

‘She was checking her pulse, so I thought it might be something but it’s all good.’ Sehun gave her a look that said she owed him. She smiled gratefully.

‘Hm…’ Baekhyun didn’t sound convinced but didn’t push it.

Until Sehun had departed.

The moment he was out of earshot, Baekhyun rounded on her. ‘Spill.’

May pouted, hoping it would get her out of the incoming lecture but Baekhyun only frowned. May hung her head in defeat. ‘It’s nothing, just…’

Baekhyun raised one brow, simultaneously intimidating her and making her jealous of how easily he could do it when she only got cross-eyed trying to do it. ‘Last time when you guys were playing around and stuff… it was really nice and I felt so happy but then, I was looking at Sehun and my heart just suddenly did this…’

She made a jumping motion with her hand. ‘And I felt kind of lightheaded and stuff.’

While she’d been talking, Baekhyun’s frown had faded into a sly smirk, amusement dripping from his face.   

‘And now…’ May stopped at the expression on his face. ‘What?’ she asked, suddenly self-conscious.

Baekhyun’s smile widened. ‘Nothing. I’m guessing the same thing happened now?’

May nodded, looking distressed. ‘I wasn’t even doing anything, just talking to him and he just smiled, and I swear, my heart jumped. I was so scared…’ she trailed off pathetically.

To her surprise, Baekhyun burst out laughing. ‘May, sometimes you are just too cute,’ he told her affectionately, patting her head.

May sat in semi-shocked silence. Instead of throwing a fit and scolding her for being careless, Baekhyun had laughed her ordeal off. What? ‘What?’ she voiced aloud.

Baekhyun grabbed her hand to pull her up. ‘Come on. If Sehun says you’re fine, I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about.’

‘You’re not going to yell at me?’ she asked, walking beside him.

Baekhyun huffed. ‘You make me sound so cruel. I only yell when you deliberately do something stupid… which, admittedly, is often... ouch!’ He laughed good-naturedly at her punch. ‘What?’

‘I’m not stupid,’ she stated.

He laughed even harder.  

…………………………………………..

She might’ve ignored it, but it continued to happen and after a dozen false alarms, she was able to pinpoint the trigger.

‘It’s his smile,’ she reported importantly.

“Mmm, he has a nice smile, I don’t blame you….’ Xiao muttered, obviously inattentive. May would’ve snapped but she was the same when it came to her favorite singers. She put a hand on Xiao’s cell, distracting her from her daily Luhan ogling.

‘I’m not talking about Luhan,’ she told her friend. ‘I’m talking about why my heart keeps doing weird stuff.’

Xiao blinked. ‘And it has to do with someone’s smiles?’ she asked, not sure she’d heard correctly.

‘Sehun’s.’ May nodded empathically. ‘I’m sure of it.’

‘Uh…’ Xiao looked at her friend closely. ‘Is there something you want to tell me?’

May looked at her. ‘Like what?’

‘I dunno….’ Xiao shrugged. ‘Did something happen? Change between you two?’

‘No… now that you mention it…’ May considered the question seriously. ‘He’s nicer to me. I mean, he’s always nice but these days, he’s very… indulgent.’

‘Uh huh.’ Xiao pursed her lips to stop an incoming smile. ‘Like?’

‘Just… nice in general… oh and he’s hugging me now!’ She clapped her hands excitedly. ‘Yeah, he hugs me when we meet.’

Xiao had an expression very similar to Baekhyun’s on her face, making May narrow her eyes. ‘What?’

Xiao shook her head, a frustrating smirk on her face. ‘Nothing. You like that he’s hugging you now?’

‘Duh.’ May gave her a look, making Xiao’s smile expand. ‘He gives very nice hugs.’

‘I’m sure he does.’ Xiao agreed seriously. ‘What were you saying about his smile?’

‘Oh that… well, you know this is really weird, but my heart just keeps jumping, like it did when I had my attack. At first I thought it was nothing, but I’ve been keeping track for the last few days and it happens every time I see him smile.’

Xiao laughed out loud at that, making May pout. ‘Why are you laughing? Baekhyun kept laughing too.’ Xiao shook her head, unable to respond; May grabbed her arm, shaking it. ‘Stop making fun of me!’

‘Oh May…’ Xiao shook her head affectionately,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter