Chapter 5: Never Forget

Change of Heart

The café was filled with the relaxing melody from its jazz themed instrumental background music and the ambiance was made even better and relaxing when mixed with the wafting and enticing smell of coffee and some heavenly cheesecakes that can truly release one’s inner elegance. Looking at the café’s industrial style but made a bit more garden like with the accents of some hanging plants and all adds up to the café’s great aesthetics and now it was the same as usual with some customers going in and out while some merely just chilling out and surfing the net.

One of the customers though simply stands out with his cool and mysterious vibe and his handsome looks was very much accentuated by his simple V-neck shirt which was covered with a cool black fitted jacket which is slightly ruffed in three-fourths and was paired with a simple fitted pants and boots. He was not making a scene neither was he doing anything unusual as he simply sits there with his frappe and his eyes glued on a classic literature book as he occasionally adjusts his glasses and flips through the book as if patiently waiting for someone to arrive. His mere aura is enough to make some lady customers glance a look and some just can’t help but be at a trance while looking at his manly figure and striking features. His thin lips, his roughly done chestnut hair, his long eyelashes and soft droopy yet sharp eyes that are focused now just can’t help but make even the waitress sigh in adoration.

Their fantasies were now broken like that of a shattered glass which can’t even be picked on when a beautiful lady with a Barbie like figure, pretty and small innocent looking face with a touch of very to almost no make-up and her face only given slight colors from her light pink lips and cheeks which was even highlighted with her long, straight, shiny, black hair and was neatly tied with a ribbon like headband. Her dress was a light pink, knee-length, floral dress that was tied just around her waist to highlight her small waist. One can almost say that she looks like that dainty little princess out of a story book and gives off such a modest and calming vibe. She went near that guy and simply smiled at him as he looked back at the girl with a hint of surprise at his face as it took him a while to react and made him immediately close the book he was reading.

“I’m sorry Fujigaya san. Did I make you wait for long?” The girl said with her very lady like and gentle voice as the guy stood up and pulled out the chair for her like a perfect gentleman and assisted her to her seat.

“It’s ok Uehara san. To be fairly honest, I never actually expected you to come. How did you know I was here though?” Taisuke asked curiously as he looked at the lovely lady while getting back to his seat.

“Eh? You mean you did not know that we are supposed to meet and have a date today? Didn’t your mom mention it Fujigaya san? Am I bothering you? Im sorry.” The lady then looked confused and apologetic as her voice gets down and her hand placed at her chest while looking down and obviously disappointed.

“Oh! I… I’m sorry. I think my mother mentioned about this date but I was just a bit too busy with school recently so maybe it slipped through me. Please don’t be sad Uehara san and since we are here, then maybe it won’t be bad to have a drink and some cakes? Please order what you please. Its on me.” Taipi then smiled at her as he took his glasses off and placed it together with the book back in his small bag.

“Please don’t worry about me and thank you for the offer Fujigaya san. Please just call me Megumi. I feel that it is quite odd for you to address me as Uehara san when we are meeting like this. I prefer that you get comfortable with me after all. Especially since our parents wants the both of us to get together and be married the soonest.” The lady, Megumi Uehara, smiled and looked like a little angel with overflowing grace and innocence along with it.

“Well then. Megumi it is. Go ahead and choose what you want to order.” Taipi said while trying to divert the subject. He is also aware that the reason he has to meet up with the girl is to have a date with her and get to know her since their parents are keen on making them a cute couple simply because of their parent’s whims.

“I don’t usually visit here. May I know what your recommendations are Fujigaya san?” Megumi asked as she looked confused while looking at the list of menu items that Taipi handed her.

“It depends on your likes and your mood though. If you want to have something sweet then I can recommend some chocolate cake and some light fruit tea drink. Or if you want some coffee or frappes or tea. I don’t know what you like so I really can’t help you decide on this yet.” Taipi let out a little chuckle as he looked quite helpless since he really can’t help her out since he didn’t know what the girl prefers.

“Oh! It’s ok… hmmm… I think…” Megumi was busy looking out at the menu and was about to point out on a lychee fruit tea drink when they suddenly hear a voice and it was approaching them. To her surprise, the voice is that from someone very familiar to her and she knows in her heart who the owner of the voice what and yet she can’t muster enough courage to face that reality and look at the owner of the voice whom she haven’t heard for quite a while but she will never forget her entire life.

“Taipi kun! Gomen! Did I make you wait long?” An attractive lady appeared and was walking near them. Unlike Megumi who is giving off an innocent and cute look, this girl approaching has more of a cool and y vibe as she wears a simple yet fitted, red, sleeveless and knee-length dress with slight slits on both sides that clearly highlights her hourglass like figure, and was paired with some elegant red stilettos as well. Her beautiful legs and porcelain like skin makes her look like a top class model or actress and her short and shiny black hair was bouncing lightly at her every move. Her face was tinted with light make-up as well while her eyes were accentuated with light eyeliner and her lips on a Korean like gradation tone which made her look y but elegant as well.

“Rein chan!” Taipi immediately stood up to acknowledge her presence and he can’t deny that he was surprised to see Rein looking like this since she usually looks like an androgynous guy while at school and he really likes what he sees yet he acts surprised despite the fact that amusement and happiness can’t be washed off on his face upon seeing her.

“Oh! If only I didn’t know I am your date, I might actually get jealous to know that you are here with another girl” Rein said as she approached their seat as she sees only the back of the girl that Taipi is with.

Rein knew exactly who the girl was and she still is not so sure how she can face her now but despite just looking at her back, she remembered everything and all the feelings she thought she managed to get by with. She never realize the impact it has on her that even with just the sight of her back, she will feel like this all over again and that she still knows every tiny bit about her. Yet she also knows that she has to pull this through and get over with this deal she set with Taisuke. Now looking at the situation even better, she realized the reason why she accepted it. It was not only because of her pride or because this was the only way to save herself from the blackmails done by the guy but also a way for her to face her own fears and move on from the past she knew she ran away from.

“It is now or never. Either way, be it now or any other day, this encounter is inevitable or we will always find our ways to cross each other’s path. So I must face this now. Once and for all.” Rein said to herself as she kept her cool and smile while walking towards their table.

“Oh! Well…” Taipi seemed to look like he was struggling a bit when he went to fetch Rein even before she got near the table and walked beside her and held her close to him like a normal couple would do. He gently held her around her waist and lightly pulled Rein close to him as he gave a small kiss at her cheek and they then walked to the table. All the while that this is happening, Megumi was still stuck and was just looking down at the menu yet despite the chatters from the other customers from the other tables and the jazz background music of the café, the smacking sound of the kiss never failed to reach her ears and her heartbeat is starting to go crazy. Her mind in a frenzy while thinking about what she should do or say if she sees that person face to face.

“Megumi san. I am sorry I wasn’t able to inform you of this yet but I think this is your right to know. I would like to introduce you my girlfriend. Fukuyama Rein. Rein chan, I would also want you to meet Miss Uehara Megumi. Im sorry I haven’t told you this yet since it has slipped my mind but apparently, my mother is setting up a fiancé for me and she personally chose Uehara san and she also set up a date for us here. Im sorry I haven’t told you Rein. Please don’t be mad at me” Taipi said with utmost sincerity as he was still holding on to Rein and looked into her eyes with his puppy dog look while he introduces the two with each other.

“Oh! I… I understand. You haven’t introduced me to your mom after all right?” Rein said with a smile but she can feel her nerves slowly shaking and she tries to calm her hand and tries to stop it from shaking badly.

“I see that you are still as lovely as ever… Megu chan. I never thought that I will see you here at such situation.” Rein said as she reached out her hand to Megumi which made Taipi quite surprised and confused.

“You know each other?” Taipi can’t help but ask and this snapped Megumi back to her senses as she now slowly looks up from the menu and looks at Rein in the eyes as if savoring that image of her in her mind. She saw her hand and slowly reached for it and held it as well.

“You are still so pretty Reichii… I… also never imagined… that we will meet like this… again…” Megumi said while slightly shaking and her eyes still locked on to Rein and as if on cue, the moment they again held hands, all the memories just came rushing back to the both of them and they know that they can clearly feel each other’s hearts beating like crazy and they were sure that both their minds are at a frenzy. It was as if Taipi was not there at all as they were both lost in each other’s eyes. Both harboring all those pent up feelings of yearning to see each other again yet also knowing that they are trying so hard to keep away from each other’s life.

“Why don’t we take a seat first? Since you both knew each other, then I suppose we can use this time to… catch up?” Taipi felt that something was quite unusual with the situation and yet he knows that walking away will not be the best solution for the course.

“Pink has always suited you well.” Rein complimented Megumi as she smiled which made the other girl blush clearly.

“Thanks Reich… I mean… Rein.” Megumi said and she definitely looks cute as she was obviously smitten as well.

“No need to be formal. You can still call me Reichii just like you always do. And besides, nobody else calls me that so I kind of missed it.” Rein said as she then leaned on to Taipi and rested her head on his shoulder.

Although confused at the current turn of events, Taipi went along with it and gently caressed Rein’s hair.

“Would you like me to order you some drinks? Do you like Vanilla Frappe like mine?” Taipi asked in a sweet voice as he gently placed his arm around your shoulder.

“I… “Rein was about to respond but Taipi was surprised when Megumi cut her off midway.

“Fujigaya san! Rei… Rein doesn’t like the whipped cream. She gets tummy reactions with creams and she hates vanillas.” Megumi said and she then turned shyly as she realized what she has done.

“Oh… I didn’t know that dear… thanks for pointing it out Uehara san. What would you like then my dear?” He then turned to look at you again as he listens.

“Well, I would like to have… I guess I prefer Mint Tea for now and maybe you should get some Lychee Fruit Black Tea for Megu. No ice, 100 percent sugar, with crystals. Oh! Do they also sell cakes here? Can you get us a slice of blueberry cheesecake please?” Rein said in a very cute but loving tone as she smiles at Taipi while looking at his eyes.

“Ok then. If my princess wants so.” Taipi said with a light chuckle as he gently tapped the tip of Rein’s nose and gave a kiss at her forehead.

“Oh! I'm… sorry. I forgot the order for Uehara san. You were too fast dear and… do you want that too Megumi san?” Taipi then turned to Megumi to confirm her order.

“Hai. I was about to say that I like Lychee Fruit Black Tea with no Ice, 100percent sugar level, with crystals and make the tea Hard pressed please.” Megumi added as she smiled back at Taipi and somehow made Rein twitch her face for a split second.

“Noted then. I will just get you your orders ne. Please wait for me for a while.” Taipi then went to the cashier and told his orders leaving the two ladies alone at the table.

“Since when did you preferred to have your tea hard pressed?” Rein asked as soon as she saw Taipi off in a distance.

“Since when did you became interested in men though?” Megumi asked which left Rein speechless.

“I see that you still know that I don’t like vanilla and creams together.” Rein said as she tries to divert the topic.

“Are you still mad at me for what I’ve done? Did you know that I am arranged to Fujigaya san so you took him as your man to get your revenge on me?” Megumi said as she looked at Rein in the eyes and Rein felt that there is something forming at the base of her eyelids as she just laid her back at the couch and looked up instead.

“You do realize that you are that one person I can never get mad at.” Rein said as she fixed her posture and held Megumi’s hand which was rested at the table and they both felt the electricity course through both of them.

“You cannot deny that there is still some spark between us Meguchan. But I want to know… why did you just leave me like that? You know I can understand right? You know how I am. I deserve some reason or some explanation but you need not be that harsh to just leave me out there waiting while I was hoping we can celebrate our anniversary together? We were ok that time so why leave with no word or anything? Did I do something wrong to offend you? Don’t you love me anymore?” Rein said as she tries her best to keep her composure and careful not to make a scene but was sincere enough to make Megumi realize that her emotions were real and from the heart.

Megumi was taken aback. She knows that this time will come and she knows that what she did with Rein two years ago was still fresh on her memory. She knew that it was not right for a girl like her to fall in love to another girl but she has always considered Rein to be her first love and she knew that despite Rein having lots of flings with other girls before, she knew that Rein considered her to be her greatest love as well. She was so happy whenever she was with Rein and she was never embarrassed with the situation because what matters for her is that they both cherish each other but there are no secrets that will be kept for long. As soon as her parents knew about this, they immediately took her overseas and they warned her never to go near Rein again. As a kind and obedient daughter as Megumi, she knew that she can never say no. So without a word, on the night of their meeting to celebrate their anniversary, Megumi left without a word and this has shook Rein hard. This was a great devastation for Rein and she tried looking for her until she received a note from Megumi’s parents telling Rein to stop pestering their daughter and that Megumi will soon marry someone and that she shouldn’t meddle with it.

Since then, Rein decided to move on but it was difficult. There were a lot of things she wished they’ve done. A lot of words she wished she’d told her dear Megumi. A lot of experiences she wished they’d both go through and a whole lot more. She kept those feelings locked inside her and she knew that she is only fooling herself into thinking that she has fully moved on when there are a lot of pent up feelings in her.

Now that they are in front of each other again and given this precious chance to talk and at least have a closure, Rein seized the opportunity for she never knew when such chance will arise again. She knew that she accepted Taipi’s deal because it involved Megumi somehow and she knew deep in her heart that she still love’s Megumi and based on the latter’s reaction, she is sure she also still felt the same.

“I… I just did what was right. Rein. That happened two years ago. Isn’t two years enough time to move on? I’m sure you’ve been into several relationships and now you are all sweet with Fujigaya san. I am sorry but I want to make this clear. I will fight for my right because I am Fujigaya san’s rightful fiancé as agreed by our parents and I don’t want to disappoint them so I want to marry Taisuke san as they please. I think he is perfect for me so I would like to apologize for you as early as now. Please don’t misunderstand. I merely told Taisuke san your preference as I was a former friend of yours. And I hope you don’t tell him about our past. It was a mistake I had during my crazy childhood days. Fukuyama san, let bygones be bygones.” Megumi said with a straight tone as she tried to snatch her hand away from Rein’s.

This all shook Rein yet again but she kept a firm hold of her hand and leaned close to the table for her to get a good look on Megumi’s face.

“Please look at me in the eye and tell me that you don’t love me anymore.” Rein asked with clear conviction as her eyes are glued to Megumi who is now also surprised.

“Please don’t do this to me Rein… I’m sorry but I had to do this.” Megumi thought to herself as she took a deep breath and mustered all the courage she can possibly have.

“I am sorry Fukuyama san. But I don’t love you. I actually never did. I was just fascinated by you. Your looks, your status, your skills and talents. I admire you that’s true but I realized that it wasn’t love. I’m sorry about that but I will still treasure all those moments we had.” Megumi said as she looked straight into Rein’s eyes and the moment all these words registered into Rein, she was not able to retort anymore and all she felt was tears streaming endlessly on her cheeks.

This was the scene when Taipi came back with the tray of their orders and he was surprised to see Rein crying and her face as pale as a paper and was clearly a face of devastation.

“Rein? What happened?” Taipi asked but Rein just stood up and bowed her head while wiping her tears.

“I’m sorry dear but I need to go and do something. I… have to go. Please excuse me.” Rein said as she then started walking off the area as fast as she could.

“Fukuyama san. Please remember what I just said.” Megumi said without looking back before Rein could even take a step.

“I will. Uehara san.” Rein said coldly as she places an eerie emphasis on “Uehara San” before she finally took her leave.

“Eh? Wait… Rein! I’m sorry Uehara san. Please excuse me.” Taisuke said as he took his stuff and ran to follow Rein and left Megumi alone in the café.

“I’m sorry… I’m so sorry Reichii…” Megumi muttered to herself as she went to the restroom and cried out.

 

=== === === ===

 

“Rein! What happened? Are you ok?” Taipi asked worriedly as he was still panting because immediately after leaving the café, Rein started running. It was a good thing that she was on high heels so Taipi was able to catch up to her just when they reached the children’s park. He held on to Rein’s shoulders while she was just crying and her shoulders are shaking badly.

“Rein… what did Uehara san said?” Taipi was getting more worried because Rein is not giving him any answers as she just kept crying and she started hitting Taipi’s chest. Taipi just stood there and took all the hits as he hugged him and patted her back to comfort her. They were at that position in the middle of the children’s park when it suddenly rained.

Instead of panicking to look for a shelter through the rain, Rein remained glued at her place while she was still crying at Taipi’s chest. It was as if the world was nothing for her. She can’t care about anything else in the world as all she could feel was that pain in her heart that she cannot deny. She just cried her heart out in the rain under Taipi’s embrace.

Taipi then took his jacket off and let the girl cry out on him as he used the jacket to put cover on the lady while his other hand secured her in an embrace and he patiently waited for her until she calmed down.

It was as if the skies were mourning in sadness with Rein. A little while after she finished crying, the rain stopped and there Rein was just standing and leaning on to Taipi with a blank expression on her face as the guy was now drenched.

“Let’s go. My place is near here so you should dry up there first.” Taipi held Rein’s hand as they started walking but Taipi noticed that Rein was unable to keep the pace despite him slowing down for her. He looked down and realized that there are now some wounds and scratches on her foot due to running like crazy while in high heels.

“Does it hurt?” Taipi gently asked Rein who was now quiet and submissive like a child who just lost her favorite candy. She just nodded as she looked down with eyes swollen from crying. Taipi then decided to carry the lady and was about to give her a piggy back when he realized that his back is drenched wet when he tried to cover Rein from the rain. He then swept her off her feet and carried her bridal style and made her sit at a nearby swing first. He kneeled and gently took the high heels off and carried Rein again. The girl did not resist and she then instinctively wrapped her arms around his neck as she carries her bridal style while also holding on to her heels. Since his condo unit is just near the area, he decided to walk and while doing so, and maybe due to emotional fatigue, Rein fell asleep on his arms until they reached his place.

As soon as they got in Taipi’s apartment, he gently laid the lady on his couch. Good thing the couch material is not that type which is waterproof so it wasn’t a problem. He immediately took a towel and prepared a warm bath for her. He then went to heat some water in plans to prepare some hot tea for them both. While waiting for the preparations to be done, he went to the lady and wiped her with the towel. The act made her regain consciousness and she woke up and looked around curiously.

“You slept while we were on the way here. This is my unit. The warm bath is ready. You should take a bath first. You can use this towel and… wait a sec.” Taipi went to his room and took some shirt and shorts which are still in a plastic and in the paper bag.

“You can use this as change of clothes. They are both brand new as you can see so nothing to worry about. I will take a bath after you so don’t take too long ok. I will prepare tea. You like mint tea right? It will be ready by the time you finish your shower. Now go and have a shower or else you will catch a cold.” He said while pointing the door to the bathroom as Rein stood there looking at Taipi with a blank face and like an innocent child.

“You want me to carry you there?!” Taipi asked gently but with a smirk which made Rein jolt and she then ran off to the bathroom and took her warm bath.

“I wonder what Uehara san can possibly do or say to break your heart like that. I’m sorry… did I… became a way for you to be hurt this much?” Taipi thought to himself as he went to his room and took his soaking wet clothes off.