Chapter 2: Maid Café

Change of Heart

 

“Irrashai! Goshujin Sama!” Rein’s sweet voice can be heard as she welcomed some customers at the café where she works part time as a maid together with her friends since they are helping out Rein’s cousin and the owner of the café, Tegoshi Yuya.

 

“Thanks for helping out today Rein chan since whenever you and your friends are here, we instantly get more customers deshou.” Tegoshi said with a warm smile towards them. Looking at Tegoshi, you can also clearly understand that the androgynous good looks runs in the family with Tegoshi Yuya looking just like a bishounen out of a manga. His soft facial features makes him look cute but cool with his current boy next door type of outfit but you also know for sure that if you put the guy in a wig and in a dress, he can easily be able to draw out any woman's insecurity as well.

 

“You know, if you actually dress up here, you yourself can get that much attention as well.” Yuki chuckled as she looked at Tego and nudged Satomi at the side who was again spacing out while looking afar at the baking counter where the patisserie can be seen as he was busy making some more cakes and other pastries for the cafe. 

 

“Oiya! Oiya! Satomi chan is mesmerized with Shige again huh?!” Rein whispered just loud enough for Sato, herself and for Yuki to hear. They are teasing their friend who seemed mesmerized while looking at the patisserie and Tegoshi’s good friend, Shigeaki Kato who is mainly in charge of baking the cakes and other sweets that the café offers.

 

“Eh? I… I am just curious about how… how Shigeaki san makes those cakes. I… I just want to know how to make cakes myself too. Don’t… don’t give other meaning to this ok!” Sato said with a slight stutter and a slight crimson creeping up her cheek as she struggles to keep her blush from her friends.

 

“You cannot deny it you know.” Yuki then nudges her again as she smiled while they both clearly enjoy the rare moments when they can tease their friend.

 

“Says you who can’t stop stuttering whenever Ninomiya san hands out the meal to her to be served.” Satomi got back into a retort against Yuki who then got as red as a tomato when she remembered the last time she stuttered when their chef, Kazunari Ninomiya, handed out the pasta he cooked which was needed to be served.

 

“But… At least I am not stalker like someone here who looks at the social media account of Shige!” Yuki then stick out her tongue to tease Sato.

 

“There are customers coming. Back to work.” Sato then shrugged her friends off to greet a customer.

 

“Geez Sato chan. Silence means yes you know.” Rein laughs while teasing her friend.

 

 

Meanwhile…

 

Unbeknownst to the three, there was someone among the crowd of customers who were silently observing them.

 

“Ahh… so this is her now then. Some things never did change didn’t it?” He smirked as he started off with his plan.

 

 

Rein was busy with a tray full of several glasses water with her as she was on her way to hand it to a customer when she bumped into another customer who just stood from his chair without noticing Rein who was also about to pass by making them have that unnecessary collision and thus making the water spill on to her. The impact was also enough for her to lose her balance. It all happened a bit too sudden and she was about to save herself by using some of the martial arts moves she knows but she also became quite aware that doing so will send the glasses to shatter and will cause more damage and instead started to brace herself into the safest way she knew on falling and taking lesser impact on it. But to her surprise, instead of having a face to face encounter with floor san, what she felt was a strong pair of arms and light breathing just by her ear. She was taken aback by the sniff of such a manly scent to which she never was used to. She got back to her senses when she heard the worried voices of her friends.

 

“Rein!” Yuki’s voice sounded really worried as she took a towel and rushed over to Rein while Sato took hold of the mop to wipe the mess away and prevent another incident.

 

“Are you alright?” A deep voice sounded just near Rein’s ear as she felt that the pair of arms were wrapped just around her waist and her back can still clearly feel that strong chest against her back. She felt that crimson rise to her cheek and she then immediately set herself free away from the close proximity. As soon as she did, she tried to fix herself and found out that she was drenched in the water that was once inside the glasses she carries. She then also took this chance to look at the guy who took her chance with floor san and saw that he was just as wet as she was and the guy was holding on to a glass with his free hand and one of his hand was wounded because of one glass that shattered and probably was hit by a shard.

 

“Im ok. But… your hand is hurt.” Rein said and was worried.

 

“It’s alright. It is also my fault. I was the one who bumped into you to begin with. Are you hurt anywhere?” The guy’s face can now be seen clearly under the light. His light auburn hair perfectly matches his slightly dark complexion. His height and built is much like an idol and based on Rein’s close encounter with her, she can pretty much tell that the guy might look quite skinny but has a firm built. The guy then took off his now wet cardigan and his wet inner shirt hugs his figure perfectly which made the other lady customers take a look and can’t help but get smitten to see just how charming the guy was.

 

“I think I need to start going now. Im sorry about the damage I made. Here.” He then took out some cash and handed it out to Rein.

 

“I don’t need this.” Rein was a bit confused but she also felt a bit humiliated at the thought of being paid.

 

“But this is for the damage done by my recklessness.” The guy said with a confused but innocent face.

 

“Sorry to disappoint you but I am not that cheap!” Rein then shoved the money back to the guy who was now looking really confused.

 

“Eh? But...” The guy was now left a bit speechless as a huge Siberian husky ran and jumped on to the guy which made him lose his balance and accidentally fell over Rein.

 

“Sebastian! Careful or the glass shards might hurt you!!” Yuki said as she referred to the dog, which was apparently named Sebastian and also happens to be Tegoshi's dog, took it away from the guy but was surprised when they heard a large slapping sound and the next thing they saw was a fuming and a really angry Rein and the guy who helped her now has a clear reddish pink palm mark on his left cheek.

 

“ert!” Rein shouted as she stood up and left the guy speechless as he was left on the spot with a swollen cheek and he then looked on to his hand who just landed on Rein’s chest.

 

“What happened?” Yuki chan was surprised and asked Satomi.

 

“Apparently, his hand fell on Rein’s soft spot.” Sato then remarked.

 

“What?! It landed on her head? Isnt it quite interesting? This is the first time that Rein was the one to accuse another on being a ert. It is usually the other way around right?” Yuki chuckled although she knew exactly where the hand fell based on their friend’s reaction.

 

“You of all people should know that Rein’s head is nothing but soft.” Sato remarked which made Yuki put her attention towards the guy who was left speechless.

 

“Thank you for helping out my friend from taking further damage but I cannot apologize on her behalf for slapping you. Though it might only be due to an accident, she was still a girl and it felt too intrusive for her.” Sato then said while helping the guy stand up and gave a slight bow.

 

“You should be thankful you can still walk though. The last guy she hit is still at the hospital and this is not a metaphor. I mean it literally.” Yuki chan said as she also helped the guy stand up.

 

“I remember that guy. 3 broken ribs, a fractured arm, dislocated legs and he needs to have neck braces too. Also had to be at the hospital for a month and be bedridden for two more months.” Sato added which made the guy left speechless and fixed himself up.

 

“I apologize. It is an accident. I’m sorry about that. I’m sorry but I have to go.” The guy then bowed and was about to leave but then he came back and handed the money to Sato.

 

“Your friend must have misunderstood but the money is not for her but for the glasses and for wetting the carpets.” He handed it out and left the café.

 

“He is quite good looking deshou!” One of the other Maids serving the café noted as she sighed and looked dreamily at the guy.

 

“I hate to say this but I agree with you Amari. Well, Tegoshi san, we will be looking after Rein for now.” Sato then handed the money to Tego and looked at Yuki as they looked for Rein.

 

"Though I think Rein and the guy will be compatible. Don't you think so Sato nee?" Yuki said with her enthusiastic and charming, innocent smile.

 

"That will only happen if Rein becomes gay and gets interested in men." Sato said with a sigh as they went to the place where they knew their friend will be at right now as they both are holding up some magical items which they hope will help to cheer their friend up.

 

 

It was not difficult to look for Rein for they both know that at times like that, she will be at the café’s rooftop and sure enough, and she was indeed there when they both went and saw their friend spacing out while looking at the now dark sky with very few stars in sight. They both sat beside her keeping her in the middle as they both handed their friend a donut and a chocolate drink hoping that this could cheer her up. Rein just silently took their offer and ate it like nothing happened. There are no words needed nor hugs to comfort her. Their mere presence is enough to assure her that she is not alone and that having her friends with her is enough to calm her nerves and think about what just happened.

 

“I think I was a bit too harsh on him. Considering that he did saved me and that he never expected Sebastian to leap on to him and that he will fall on to me. Also, I might have been injured or in much worse condition if not for him” Rein said while drinking her cold chocolate drink.

 

“I thought you will say that he is kind of like your type already.” Yuki then chuckled and this time, it was Rein who slapped her shoulder.

 

“Too late Rein. Yuki just added some type of concoction and a ritual on that choco you are drinking so very soon you will be having interest in men already.” Sato said while she was busy drinking her minty chocolate drink which was never liked by her friends.

 

“You both need to pray hard for that to happen.” Rein smirked and true enough, like magic, she is back to her usual lively self. Her phone rang and she took it and answered with her ever sweet voice.

 

“Oh! Haruka Chan, missed me already? Hmmm… I promised you that we will have a date on the weekend right? I missed you too. Yes. Im ok. Im just here at the café. Oh Honey, there is no need to worry ok. Hai. Get some sleep. I don’t want your pretty face to have eyebags just because you can’t sleep while thinking about me too much. Haha! I love you too. Muwah!” She then made a flying kiss before cutting off the call.

 

“Gross.” Yuki commented while faking a puking face.

“Haruka? You mean you are now dating Yamamoto Haruka from 1B? That gentle and meek girl from art club? Last week you were dating Yoruhana Arisa from 2C right?” Satomi asked and looked confused.

 

“Arisa and I are over. She is a bit too demanding already. So I cut it off and she is also flirting with Masamune from Karate club so it’s a win-win situation.” Rein shrugged like it’s an ordinary thing.

 

“Oy! What are you doing Yuki!?” Rein and Sato looked at Yuki who took out a small notebook from her pocket and was writing something. Rein’s eyes went wide as she saw its contents.

 

“Are you… are you taking down notes on all my girlfriends?!” Rein asked which made Yuki nod as she wrote the name Yamamoto Haruka and crossed out Yoruhana Arisa’s name.

 

“So far, you have dated 32 ladies since we were first years. Haruka is the 33rd. This doesn’t include your flings list. These are only the ones you’ve dated or taken out or managed to be with you for at least a day. Those you have flings with that we know of so far are around 59. All ladies that you have either messaged or chatted or have been phone pals.” Yuki said while stating out the statistics.

 

“See why I needed her help on the concoctions?” Sato then added which made Rein wide eyed.

 

“Seriously you two. You are starting to creep me out.” Rein sighed as she remembered what just happened a while ago.

 

“Well, I felt bad about that guy. I hope I can make it up to him the next time we meet.” Rein said as she gulped her chocolate drink.

 

 

And her wish was sent out to the universe with a shooting star passing by.