Chapter 1: School Program

Change of Heart

[Student Council Room]

 

“Ouch! Can you please stop hitting me with those thick nerdy medical books you are holding Yuki chan! You are such a bully! Satomi chan! Help me out here will you? As the student council president, you are supposed to take good care of the welfare of your fellow students. You should issue a penalty on this bully student, Sakura Yuki! Something like, physical assault or whatever is there in the student’s code of conduct. This student is clearly violating my personal space for safety.” A boyish looking girl was protesting while she gently pats the area at the back of her head which was just hit by her friend.

 

“Sorry? You were saying?” A serious looking girl with a long black hair said while fixing her reading glasses as she was carefully looking at several files on each labeled clipboard that was laid on her desk. The name, Sugimoto Satomi, Student Council President can be seen on the nameplate which was neatly placed at the center of her desk and apparently, she is surrounded by two of her closest friends. One who is busy complaining with a dramatic flair and the other was busy tidying a thick medical textbook which she just previously used to hit her friend’s head.

 

“Some long blabbering but nothing really of importance. You know how much Rein is into all these drama thing and that complaining is also one of her master craft.” A cute looking girl with rosy cheeks said as she fixes her full bangs while fixing the stack of thick books that she is currently holding.

 

“What did I do to deserve such harsh punishments? This is unjust and unfair!” The victim, slash, the accused, slash the complainant, Fukuyama Rein, said with a cute whine paired with her precious pout and an irresistible puppy dog eyes and overall, a face that seeks for attention and crying out for innocence. This simple reaction alone made by the Drama Club’s star actress earned a bunch of squeals and sighs from just outside the window where a lot of other students, both boys and girls alike gave out a heave of appreciation and adoration for her cute reaction. If these people were drawn in an anime, you can clearly imagine them seeing Rein with a flowery background and some cute cherubim with horns and some hearts all over and their eyes are like hearts as well. That is just a little of the effects of Rein’s charisma on them.

 

Satomi then took her eyes off of the documents she was analyzing and saw Rein’s reaction and heard the sighs of her friend’s fans. She then took her glasses off and looked at Rein saying “Sorry but that doesn’t work on me. Also, compared to all the other students you punched, kicked, thrown out of the ring and the rest of the students who were able to utilize the school’s infirmary thanks to your forceful endorsement, then I suppose Miss Sakura Yuki’s act of smashing your head with a thick, nerdy, medical book can actually be considered as justice for the others.” She then smirked as she looked at her friend. This also made some students heave another sigh of admiration as they also looked at the student council president.

 

“I was hoping that smashing this book on to your head will actually clear out your mind from thinking about lewd things and that you will actually start thinking about things with sense instead. Also, I’m pretty sure that your head is far stronger than this book.” Yuki then said with a cute and innocent smile. As if on cue, the students that were watching them from the window of the student council room also let out a sigh of admiration for the Chemistry club’s head and one of the top rankers in the school’s “Most Beautiful Faces” list made a cute and innocent smile.

 

If you are wondering, the list of the school’s “Most Beautiful Faces” ranks Fukuyama Rein as number one thanks to her androgynous looks making her look amazing whether as a male or as a female and was paired with such stunning model like figure and charisma that cannot be denied which will make every encounter with her feel like you are looking at a garden of flowers, followed by no other than the Student Council President herself who earned the spot due to her regal aura and exuding elegance which makes everyone (including the school bullies) respect her not only because of her aura but also because of her intelligence and wisdom that leaves most people speechless and just looking at her will make you feel like you are in front of a mere royalty, and the third spot is taken by the Chemistry Club president who earned her spot with her irresistible cute looks. Her face is the epitome of innocence and her face is described to be very doll like and makes her a perfect Lolita figure and her intellect especially in Science makes her the head of Chemistry Club without any questions and people often describe their feeling of meeting her as if they smell sweet aroma of cherries.

 

Now seeing all these three gathered in the student council room is not a new experience since they are quite known for being good friends but it still is, and always becomes such a sight to behold for everyone watching them.

 

“Whoa! Where did the idea of me thinking lewd things actually came from Yuki chan! I am a poor and innocent young lady if I must!” Rein played it innocently and gently brushed her beautiful hand on her short and soft and bouncy hair. This act now sent the fans watching outside into a frenzy as they squealed and was clearly mesmerized as if seeing a bishie on an anime with dazzles all over.

 

Satomi then sighed as she left her two friends bickering and elegantly stood from her chair. She then went to the door and talked to their audience. The two were not able to hear what she said but the students suddenly dispersed as if giving the three of them some privacy. She then went back inside and pulled the blinds on the window to ensure that no one will peek inside and disturb them.

 

“Seriously Rein, you are a girl yet instead of attracting guys, you chose to be a heartthrob among girls! Whether it be our previous sempais or our innocent kouhais!” Yuki sighed as she looked at Rein with a serious face.

 

“I am also attracting men.” Rein said with a blank and innocent face again. Well, Rein is definitely a beauty but her androgynous look makes her look a fantastic “Beautiful Boy” as well. She often misleads people though since she wears a short, boyish looking hair and her upper garments looks similar to the boy’s uniform and her presence is like that of a gentle bishounen you usually see at popular animes and romance mangas but you will only be surprised once you see her wearing a skirt instead of pants. Thanks to this, she is known to be “Prince” because of her prince-like charm. Her looks paired with her stellar acting skills made her capture the hearts of her schoolmates and got her to be a consistent number one in the poll of the most beautiful faces. But for some unknown and peculiar reasons, she is dating women instead of guys as she treats men more of her “buddies” instead.

 

“Yuki, can you please make some chemical formula to convince this girl to date men instead of women. Those other girl students, I’ve heard that there are some who are actually quarreling as to which pair is better to ship. Some are rooting for ReiTo (REIn x saTOmi) and some are for ReiKi (REIn x yuKI) pair while some just insists on ReiSaKi (reiN X SAtomi x yuKI) pairs. It is truly unbelievable how they fantasize us three as pairs. I mean, I was never really a fan of Yuri. Yuki, once you finished that concoction, make Rein take it immediately so she can have a decent boyfriend.” Satomi sighed as she sat on her chair again and took a sip from her tea.

 

“I am quite close to finishing the formula so we can have Rein test it soon.” Yuki smiled sweetly but was emitting an evil aura around her which made the other two shiver in fear.

 

“Ahem.” Sato then cleared in the hopes of changing the atmosphere which is slowly going to the morbid side and once Yuki starts on it, stopping her will never be easy.

 

“May I ask why you two are both here again? It’s not like I’m shoving you both away but I am feeling a bit weird. It’s as if you just need something from me.” Sato said as she looked at her friends who now both have eager faces.

 

“We heard something about a certain program which will be initiated by the school. I’m technically curious and we want to ask you directly instead since you are the most reliable source.” Yuki said as direct to the point as ever with her usual nonchalant but innocent expression.

 

“You are so inconsiderate Yuki Chan! Mou! We also known that you still haven’t eaten yet so we wend here to bring you some food… and also since we are quite curious as well as to what that program is about. None of the students have any idea on that but they only know that it is a school program.” Rein said as she placed a paper bag with the logo of a well-known bakeshop with assorted types of breads inside.

 

Satomi then chuckled as she saw how her friends reacted. She then took out some bread from the paper bag and started munching on one.

 

“Thank you for the concern. I will then help myself.” She smiled as she ate while drinking her tea.

 

“Regarding the school program that is rumored, well I was actually still looking out for its details a while ago when you both came in although we’ve had initial meetings with the School’s Board of Directors and the Principal as well.” She paused for a while to eat some bread and have some tea again as her friends now sat at the guest chairs across her desk.

 

“Is it that big and serious that even the board of directors are involved?” Rein said with awe and a hint of nervousness. “Are they like, planning to sell out the school!? But we are a stable school right? Hyogazaki Gakuen even has a college branch!” Rein said in panic which earned her another smack in the head from Yuki and a laugh from Sato.

 

“Rather than calling it big and serious, it is more of… daring and a new proposal. Clam down since there are no chances of selling out the school but I must commend you since the College branch is indeed involved. The final details are still being finalized so I am also thinking about getting your opinions regarding the matter.” Sato said as she deliberately stalls her statement to enjoy the reactions of her friends.

 

“Spill it out already Sato. I know what you are trying to do and we won’t be able to help you gather ideas unless you actually explain it out to us you know.” Yuki said as she was already pissed off with the thrill. As innocent as her face may be, patience is not her virtue.

 

“Remember that during the first month of our senior year, we were handed out a survey from regarding our interest of getting into college, the courses we are interested in and the probable schools and all the questions related to college? I want to know what you two answered first. Did you answered yes on the question of your interest in going to college?” Sato asked seriously.

 

“I said I wanna go to college. You know I will.” Yuki said while she was munching cutely on a melon bread.

 

“I think it’s interesting so I also said yes.” Rein said while eating her Spanish Bread and taking in a juice for herself.

 

“Then I suppose I am not alone in this.” Satomi then smiled in relief.

 

“What!? Are we going to be abducted by the aliens and be sent to a world of wonder and save that Earth on a parallel universe as we are given a one chance to wish for a special ability as the chosen ones?!” Rein said excitedly and earned herself another smack in the head from Yuki thanks to her imagination.

 

“I like that idea Rein but Im sorry since I cannot suggest that to the Board.” Satomi then said with a laugh and served a cup of tea to Yuki.

 

“Then please spill it all already Sato! You are getting too… well… the suspense and the curiosity is killing me now! Mou! Yuki! Be careful of my precious brain!” Rein then protested and was undeniably at the brink of excitement and curiosity.

 

“Sorry about that but you both look so adorable with a face like that.” Satomi then chuckled cutely.

 

“Well, the school wants to select a handful of senior students who are interested to go to college. These lucky students will be accepted as sit-ins on Hyogazaki College. As sit-ins, the students are then given the privilege to have that pre-college experience and also, these students will be given a task. As seniors, their final thesis project will then revolve around the college as well. The task will be also to encourage students into going to college as well. I am also finalizing some details since the school’s administration is also asking for the student’s opinions so that we can still improve the program and that this will be nothing but beneficial to the students. So, what do you think?” Sato then looked at her friends who still seems to be digesting what she just said.

 

“It is interesting though. But I think it would’ve been better if all the students who expressed interest on the project will be accepted. I understand that this is a sort of an… experiment so it will be quite risky if we put in all the students out there but if there will be more students out there for the research purpose, then there will be more academic journals that can be beneficial for the improvement of the school and its curricula.” Yuki said in a serious note which made Sato take down some notes.

 

“I also think it is a good opportunity for the students to observe how it is in college and be able to suggest on the improvements on the college and also a good marketing strategy for Hyogazaki College on how to further encourage students.” Rein smartly remarked which made Sato look dumb founded and stopped writing notes as she looks so surprised.

 

“Is it just me or did Rein actually really made some sense?” Yuki asked with wide eyes and the look as if it marks the start of a great catastrophe that will make the end of the world.

 

“Hmmm…. I was also quite thinking the same Rein chan. I am impressed you actually thought of it as well.” Sato said while munching on another bread.

 

“I am just great. Hah!” Rein said with a wink and a smug look on her face which was then erased when Yuki smacked her head with another thick book. Seriously, this has already become quite her habit like a slapstick comedy.

 

“Oy! That hurts Yuki chan! We are not from a comedy show you know. Don’t you know how precious my brain and my face is?” Rein protested once again as she gave a cute pout.

 

“Well Miss I-THOUGHT-ALREADY-MADE-SENSE, don’t think that I wouldn’t figure out that your remark earlier was only based on the notes Sato-nee has! Here!” She then pointed out on the handwritten noted on the paper which made Satomi chuckle as she was clearly amused at her friend’s classic antics.

 

“Wait… you knew?” Rein looked at Yuki and Sato with a surprised look.

 

“I am impressed at how good your eyesight is Rein chan.” Sato gave a sweet smile and winked cutely at Rein.

 

“Mou! Anyways, we are needed at the café today Sato, Yuki. So, let go of all those paper works and let’s go Sato!” Rein started to clean up Sato’s table as she pulls her friend.

 

“Before I forget, the program is set to start next month. I took note on your suggestions already. I will have a meeting with the other council members and the school’s administration and the board of directors. You can expect the release of the set of the student’s names around two weeks from now. So, please do look forward to it.” Sato then smiled as she fixes her stuff while she pats Rein’s head gently and ruffles Yuki’s hair.

 

“Oh! And one more thing Rein chan, please don’t seduce college women while we are there ok?!” Satomi gave a meaningful smile as she finished fixing her stuff.

 

“Oy! Im not that… flirty you know.” Rein said with an innocent smile which made Yuki slap her shoulder and made Rein’s cry of pain echo around the corridors of the school’s hallway.

 

“Why hit me again!?” Rein asked with a pout.

 

“At least it’s not the head this time.” Yuki just shrugged as she said it and the three started walking their way to the Maid Café.