Chapter 3: Welcome!

Change of Heart

 

The school’s gymnasium was packed with both the students and all the teachers of Hyogazaki Gakuen as the Principal was delivering his announcement regarding the school’s new program. With the Principal at the podium giving his announcement, the Student Council President also stood just behind the principal as if she is ready whenever the her turn comes. The board of directors and other important people as well as several deans from Hyogazaki College were also present and were sitting comfortably near the back portion of the main stage and was behind a long table with their respective nameplates in front of them.

 

There are several news regarding this said program and all the students are quite excited to hear what it finally is about.

 

“Thank you all for your presence.” The principal’s gentle voice echoed within the school’s gymnasium as everyone is already all ears for the news.

 

“Recently, we have handed out a survey form to all our senior students regarding their interest and what they think about going to college. I am pretty much aware that most of you have different plans after graduating and there is only a small number of students who are interested on proceeding to tertiary level of education which is why, together with the administrators of Hyogazaki College, we are launching this school program which we hope will be interesting for you all as students. The primary objective of this is not only to encourage the students on pursuing college but also to further improve our facilities for your betterment.” The principal said with a gentle smile and looked at the Student Council President as he gave her with a light nod.

 

“The details will be further explained by your Council President.” The principal then took a slight bow at the podium as he left and gave the floor to Sato to continue his speech.

 

“She sure looks kinda different whenever she is at the stage don’t you think so Yuki?” Rein whispered at Yuki who happens to stand just in front of her.

 

“Same goes to you. You are much more different when on stage and when on character. It’s like we don’t even know where Rein is. Sato is a bit more… consistent. Boring and diplomatic as she can be whenever she is out in the public.” Yuki replied to Rein in a very hushed voice as she was careful not to disturb others.

 

“Yeah. Though we are very much aware how much of an airhead and a klutz she can also be. Now I am excited!” Rein said as she made a little fist pump while being careful not to get too much attention.

 

“Thank you very much Sir.” Sato said as she gave a bow to the principal before fixing the mic to her as she then fixed her glasses which made some students heave a controlled sigh of adoration.

 

“As the principal mentioned earlier, the survey was handed out to all the senior students just a month after the opening of classes. The results are then analyzed and it was found out that though majority of the seniors are planning to purse work and are willing to venture into different paths of interest, there are roughly around 17% of senior students or 20 out of the 120 seniors who are interested into going to college.” Satomi said seriously as she observed the reactions of her schoolmates with which majority of them seemed to be bored already.

 

“Don’t you think it is about time that she starts making her speech a bit more interesting?” Rein smirked as she nudged on to Yuki as she was also getting bored.

 

“Wait for it you impatient freak.” Yuki glared at Rein but clearly, it was her who was getting bored.

 

Satomi then took off her eyeglasses and smiled at her schoolmates.

 

“Enough of those facts. As much as I want to further tease you into this announcement, I can clearly see that you are all getting impatient. To put it simply, these 20 senior students are given the chance to have that experience of being into college as students as well. They will be given the chance to interact, use all the amenities and be there like a regular freshman on college. Yes. Without the uniform and other benefits to that.” She smiled which made the students start to react with most of them getting excited about the cool thought of going into college.

 

“Please calm down for a bit. I know that not all the 20 senior students who said that they were interested will be willing to accept this offer. This is not going to be something that will be mandated to the students. This is merely giving out an opportunity and a chance for the students to actually be able to observe and have that experience. Now for the specifics, the student will be choosing a course or a degree of his or her liking where they will be taken into as students. Well, how about studies as a senior student? This is not something to be worried about because technically, you will still be seniors of Hyogazaki Gakuen. The system will be, from Mondays to Wednesdays, the students will be here in Hyogazaki Gakuen. On Thursdays and Fridays, they will be at Hyogazaki College. These senior students will be exempted on all quizzes and final exams on all subjects on the last quarter.” As soon as this line was said, the seniors were in a frenzy and looked so excited and happy which made the president chuckle as she slightly stopped on her speech.

 

“I know that being exempted on finals is a good thing but there is something we need to present in order to compromise right?” Now the students suddenly became quiet again as their souls got slumped.

 

“Instead of taking all the final exams and quizzes, the students who will be going into the college will have a thesis paper as the final project. The theme for the thesis will be in relation to the experience in college. Something like how to improve or whatever will be of interest to the students. It will be in groups depending on the final number of students who will want to participate.” The president said which made the students sort of feel an array of emotions. She then looked at the students to observe their reactions.

 

“The younger batch seemed to be quite confused. Are you thinking about why you are also here to hear this announcement which is directed towards the seniors?” She then eyed at the first years up to the juniors who have started to lose interest since they feel that the announcement does not involve them.

 

“Well, if this goes well, then it will be done yearly which means that there will also come a time when it will be your turn. Take this as a chance for you to observe your seniors and think about it as well.” She then gave off a gentle smile and looked at the seniors.

 

“Now, there might be some who are now interested but said no during the survey. It is still not too late. For those who are interested to participate, or if there are further questions or even some suggestions, please visit the student council room. We will be there to welcome all your concerns and enlist you to be able to participate should you express your willingness though there will be a cut off since we can accommodate only up to 30 students. The 20 students who already said yes on the survey, please expect the letter to be handed out tomorrow and we will also be discussing this with your parents for their awareness as well. The program is set to start next week so we need all of your confirmations until tomorrow. I hope all is clear and…” She deliberately took a slight pause to gain momentum and attention as she looked at her schoolmates with her signature smile.

 

“Looking forward to see you there and hopefully, be my thesis mate.” She then gave off an elegant smile as she bowed and went down the podium. The “fans” are now all hyped up as they heard the announcement and understood that the Council President is about to participate.

 

“If Sugimoto will participate, then I’m sure that Fukuyama and Sakura will be there too!” One of the male seniors said.

 

“Kyaaaah!!! I wanna see Prince in a college look!” One of the female students said with a controlled squeal.

 

“Sakura san will surely look cute!” Another one said and the commotion was now ablaze.

 

 

 

The announcement was concluded well by the emcee and the students went back to their classrooms with the trio again walking side by side.

 

“I hope you two will come.” Sato said to Rein and Yuki.

 

“Of course I will!” Rein said while Yuki just gave off a nod.

 

“What course will you take?” Rein asked Satomi as she smiled.

 

“I will most probably be taking Business Administration or a Social Science Course. How about you Rein Chan?” Sato answered as she looked at Rein.

 

“Hmmm… if there is one for Arts then I will go there most especially Performing Arts. I want to polish my acting skills. If not, then maybe being into multimedia or communication arts will be nice as well.” Rein said while pouting as she thinks out cutely.

 

“Why are you two not asking me?” Yuki chimed in with a cute pout.

 

“Because we know that you will certainly take up medicine related course so why bother ask.” Rein said with an innocent face as she teases Yuki and this made Yuki slap her shoulder again.

 

“Wha-! Seriously?!” Rein contested while whining in pain as she held on to her shoulder.

 

 

[A Week After]

 

The program was successful on its kick off and all 30 slots were taken. There were even a lot of students who expressed interest but were not accommodated anymore as they were not able to make it to the cut-off. The 30 selected senior students were then grouped in threes for the thesis to form a total of 10 groups. As requested and as expected, the trio managed to be thesis mates. It was the first day of the seniors at the college and the three agreed to go to school together.

 

“You are a very sly and a cunning woman.” Yuki then said to Sato while they were inside Rein’s limo (did I forget to mention here that Rein is actually a rich kid? Her father is a well renowned national artist for his contribution in the field of arts and his paintings are world class which made him be able to be like a celebrity and have shares and stocks on various businesses so a limo is a simple thing for Rein’s caliber.)

 

“Eh?! Why say such thing out of the blue Yuki?!” Rein was surprised when Yuki suddenly blurted this out and Sato just looked at her two friends.

 

“Well, I just realized that our friend here, deliberately mentioned that she will be looking forward to having them as her thesis mate as part of propaganda so that the students will be encouraged to join. And since she knows that we will be there to participate, it will be easy for her to just tell the board that the optimal number of group mates in a thesis will be three per team and she can easily pick the two of us as her group mates then!” Yuki said in a fast pace which made the still sleepy Rein quite dizzy.

 

“I don’t see anything wrong with it? What am I missing? You are too fast ne Yuki.” Rein said which made Yuki sigh.

 

“What I’m trying to say is that, Sato deceived the students and giving them hopes that she will be their thesis mate if ever they get to participate so that she can raise the number of students.” Yuki said slowly and word by word for Rein to understand.

 

“The important thing is that we are together in the group. Yeay!” Rein said happily which made Yuki slap Rein at the forehead.

 

“Partly correct there Yuki. Actually, it’s not having me as a thesis mate that became my selling point. What happened is, the students thought that if I were to participate, then it will also be sure that you two will be there which is why lots of them enlisted already. And yes, it is not difficult for me to put up a word to the people in charge to have you two as my group mates. Besides, Rein is right. The important thing is that we are all together ne.” Sato smiled innocently which made the two gulp.

 

“Remind me that she can be quite sinister at times.” Rein whispered to Yuki.

 

“You have more morbid thoughts but this one here is quite unpredictable which is why she is scary.” Yuki then whispered to Rein.

 

“Ok. Stop whispering like that. We are here now.” Sato pointed outside the window as they enter Hyogazaki College’s entrance and made their way to the parking. Thanks to their limo, the students are now all eyes on them. Good thing that the windows are heavily tinted so they were not seen.

 

“Good thing our windows are tinted. Bwahahaha!” Rein confidently said with a smug look on her face which made Yuki her shoulder with her fan”

 

“What again!? Now why do you even have props?!” Rein protested while pouting out cutely.

 

“When we get down here, people will see us and that tinted windows will no longer work dumdum!” Yuki sneered at her friend.

 

“Ok ok. Enough on the bickering you two. We will be going on to separate buildings. Rein will be on this building, which is for the College of Arts and Center for Multimedia, Yuki will be at Medical Building and I will be on the boring building of Business Administration.” Sato said with a sigh.

 

“Now let’s meet each other at lunchtime at the same spot we chose last time we had an ocular visit here ok. Good thing we all have the same time for lunch so look forward to it ok. I prepared a tasty bento for the three of us deshou.” Sato smiled at the two.

 

“Ok!” Rein said with a yawn and her eyes are quite teary as she has been yawning nonstop.

 

“Not enough sleep?” Sato asked.

 

“Yeah. Was up all night talking with Shina.” Rein said sleepily which made Yuki took her magical notebook again as she listed out another name of another girl which their friend seems to be dating out with again.

 

“Please don’t make a bad impression on class Rein.” Yuki said with a gentle tone but with another smack with her fan on her friend’s shoulder again.

 

“Okay okay! Stop the fan thingy!” Rein protested with a pout as they then went out of the limo and went on to their separate buildings.

 

 

[College of Multimedia and Arts Building]

 

“Geez. Her hand is already heavy enough and now she even has a fan? That kind of hurts. Oh well. Must take the restroom first.” Rein then walked over to the restroom and found it quite odd that there were not much students out at the corridor. She then remembered that most of the students in the college have different time frames and it happens that on this college, most classes are happening at the moment. Her classes happened to start at around 30minutes more so she still have some time to look around the building for a while but she then decided to go to the restroom to fix herself first.

 

While in the cubicle, she felt so sleepy that she almost fell asleep. She hastily stood up and fixed herself as she battles out her drowsiness. She was about to go out but she stopped by the door when she noticed a guy blocking her way out.

 

“Excuse me.” She said sleepily without even looking at the guy blocking her way.

 

“What is this creep doing while blocking out my way? This is the lady’s room right? The men’s room is just adjacent to this door. If he does anything funny I will rip him out.” Rein thought to herself while she was still quite sleepy and she was surprised when she heard a shutter sound.

 

“Eh?! Did you just took a picture of me?!” Rein now snapped as she finally looked at the guy.

 

“It’s you! You are… the guy at the café?!” She said wide eyed as she recognized the guy whom she had treated badly at an incident in the café some time ago. She remembered how she promised to be nice to him on their next encounter.

 

“About the ca- “Rein was about to say sorry about her rudeness for last time but she was cut off by his deep and manly voice which she surely cannot forget.

 

“I never expected to see you here and surely, I never expected you to be quite daring this early in the morning.” He said with a playful smirk and this made Rein tilt her head to the side confusedly.

 

“I never thought you like polka dots.” The guy then looked down and this finally made Rein realize things. She then looked down and realized that she was too clumsy and too sleepy that she was not able to fix her skirt well and it so happened that the polka-dot underwear she has is still exposed as the skirt managed to be stuck by it making her look like a lady version of superman. She felt her face get awfully red as she quickly fixed her skirt and looked at the guy again. She then looked around and found herself to be quite lucky that there are not much people around the area at the time so it seems that nobody saw the embarrassing situation.

 

“Give me your phone!” She then insisted as she was about to take the phone and delete her embarrassing picture.

 

“Oh! Now you are aggressive.” The guy looked so cute with his innocent chuckle. Rein was about to lunge forward to him to grab the phone but he was surprisingly agile enough to step back and since he was taller than her, he can easily play with her as he looks like an elder guy snatching candy from a kid.

 

“Arrgg!! Delete that embarrassing photo right now!” Rein demanded as she still tries to reach out to the phone.

 

“You mean this?” The guy showed the photo he got and he was surprisingly good at taking shots. The angle and the lighting was done so well as if it had effects on them but unfortunately for Rein, the embarrassing scene was taken clearly and now this good looking ert has a copy of it.

 

“ert! Erase that now or you will regret this forever!” Rein threatened as she was in panic.

 

“Hmm… but I won’t have a good wallpaper if I erase this. Why don’t we have a deal instead?” The guy said as he hid the phone into safety.

 

“What deal you freaking ert?!” Rein was clearly irritated but she remembered that she is not allowed to make a scene as of now so she is trying her best not to go to brawl with this college guy.

 

“Meet me at the rooftop at exactly 12:30. At least thirty minutes after lunch. Or else, I will send a copy of this picture all over the campus. Not a bad deal right?” The guy said with a smile but he looks pretty serious with his threat.

 

“You ert! What makes you think that you can get away with this easily and that I will go there at the rooftop with you?!” She said with a smirk but was still clearly irritated and angry.

 

The guy just chuckled and whispered at her. “I know you will. Please don’t make me wait ne Fukuyama Rein or should I call you, Ms. Polka dots from now on? Or perhaps you want this photo to reach someone else? Say… how about Mr. Park Seo Joon?” He was so close to her that she can clearly smell that familiar manly scent of his. She thought this was a good opportunity to kick him off or dislocate whatever bones she can break but all the blood drained out from her when she heard the name of that one childhood friend of hers that she cherished deeply. Just how did he knew her name and how can this guy actually know her connection with him? She lost all strength as she just silently watched him walk off. Just when he was about several meters away from her, the guy stopped on his tracks and looked back at her again.

 

“Before I forgot, welcome to Hyogazaki College! Miss Fukuyama Rein.” The guy gave off a wink she never expected.

 

“What did I just got myself into?! And who is he anyway?” Rein then asked herself in a mumble.