Chapter 2

♫♬♩♪ⓝⓞⓞⓝⓐ ⓘⓢ ⓢⓞ ⓟⓡⓔⓣⓣⓨ ♫♬♩♪

 

Hello :) I didn't add a comment on the first chapter, so I thought that I needed to do it in this chapter at least - this fic is definately NOT all angst! It'll be a completely different story soon :) Please cmment!

 

Taemin stared, he’s round eyes widening at the scene before him: He was in a playground - for the first time in his eight years of life; and to put it simply – he was terrified. How could everything be so… natural? He just wasn’t used to it: the loudness of the children running around him; the kind adults who helped him up when he accidentally bumped into them; the freedom he was suddenly granted… Most of all, he wasn’t used to the owner of the soft hands, leading him into the playground gently.

 

He whimpered and curled his other hands into Jonghyun’s, finding it reassuring that he had his brothers with him. They too looked wary, narrowing their eyes at the unfamiliar sight. But they went in, in the persuasion of their new part time carer.

 

It had been her idea to bring the trio outside. The president surprisingly did not refuse, granting her permission for the afternoon. All the other children looked at them with jealousy, taking in their beautiful teacher and their official passes for the visit out.

 

She led them in to SeoulPark, smiling at the three children next to her.

 

‘So… do you like it?’ She asked, clearly nervous.

 

Kibum dipped his delicate head once, looking at the park before him. Maybe the trip was going to be… enjoyable. He shook the thought off quickly, reminding himself not to build up any expectations that were going to be broken anyway. Following his example, the two other boys nodded; Taemin mumbling a soft ‘Thank you’ on behalf of his hyungs.

 

Youjin was slightly disappointed by their reaction. She was expecting something more enthusiastic… she had to make this work, it was her first work experience – she couldn’t believe she got accepted to care for the three boys when she was not even qualified properly.

 

She studied the orphans in front of her; taking in their blank, sullen faces. She tried to make conversations with the oldest boy, Jonghyun, but he merely replied in monosyllables. ‘Yes, miss’ ‘No, miss’… Pursing her lips, she wracked her brains for ideas… They were incredibly shy, refusing to interact with the other children – maybe it would help if they knew a child to trust? She took out her phone and pressed number ‘1’ for a speed dial.

 

It was time for some drastic action.

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jinki was with his friends, playing basketball in the school courts. Sweat glistened on his toned body, making his fan girls squeal in delight. Even though he was only thirteen, he already had the largest fan club in school.

 

The match was very tight. Both teams were the best in the town – thus, it was more of a battle of pride. So far, Jinki’s team was winning and he definitely wasn’t planning to let it go. They had their reputation to think of – besides; he promised noona that he would win today. He took a deep breath: it was time to score.

 

He ran past the defenders and signaled to his team to proceed into an attack plan. They formed a zigzag pattern across the court, momentarily confusing their opponents. Using the situation as a diversion, his teammate passed the ball to heir captain, who casually threw the ball to the hoop and scored.

 

The crowd roared, one half out of ecstasy, and the other with disappointment. The cheerleaders performed a short victory dance, shouting their team’s name in harmony.

 

In the midst of the uproar, the opposition team blinked – how did that just happen without them noticing? At their surprised look, his team grinned at them and dipped their thumbs down at the leader. It was the classical ‘You’re going down’ pose. His teammate ruffled Jinki’s hair and laughed at the opposition team’s furious faces.

 

Jinki chuckled and walked off towards his bag for a short break. He fanned his face with his hands. He really needed a towel – where was it? He reached for his bag, but before he even got to it, a towel was suddenly offered to him.

 

‘Thanks.’ he accepted it happily and looked up to smile at the person. He recognized the face instantly. ‘Ah! You’re the new stand-by… Minho, right? Jaejoong’s brother!’

 

‘Y-yes, sunbae!’ He stuttered, surprised that the captain knew his name.

 

Jinki studied him – Minho, huh? His body build was more than just ‘good’… He needed a new sub player – could it be him? He grinned. ‘We’ll just have to find out.’

 

‘So, Minho-’

 

He was interrupted by his phone, its ring tone muffled under his bag. Jinki frowned. It just ruined his style, right? In front of his hoobae too. But regardless of the situation, the phone continued to ring; He sighed and bent down to rummage through his belongings until he reached it.

 

‘It better not be one of those fan messages again.’ he grumbled.

 

He flicked the lid up and answered in an annoyed tone: ‘Hello?’

 

‘Oh, hi Jinki! It’s noona.’

 

His face instantly lit up as her flowing voice filled his ears. ‘Youjin noona! How’s your first day at the orphanage?’

 

‘Good thanks. But, Jinki… I have a favor to ask…’

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------- 

 

Minho looked at his sunbae quizzically. He wondered who this ‘Youjin noona’ was to create such a reaction from his famous captain. Jinki tilted his head as he listened to her request.

 

‘Okay then noona, that’s fine! SeoulPark, right? I’ll be there in… 10 minutes?’

 

Minho blinked rapidly. His captain was LEAVING? But… What about the match?

 

‘Yeah… okay! See you, noona.’ Jinki shut his phone and proceeded to pack his bag.

 

Minho stood, rooted to the spot. He didn’t know what to do… Did he have the right to say to his captain that he shouldn’t leave? Or would that be just rude? In his hesitation Jinki had already packed his belongings. He turned to walk out of the court – Oh, what the heck. He had to say SOMETHING, right?

 

‘S-Sunbae!’

 

Jinki stopped in his tracks and turned to look at him. ‘Yes?’

 

‘S-sunbae! Y-Yoocn’tjstlive!!’ he stumbled his words and felt his face heat up.

 

‘What?’ Jinki felt a smile coming.

 

‘Y-You Y-You…’ his face was burning as he felt the eyes of his captain. Damn… alright – here goes nothing: ‘Y-YOU CAN’T JUST LEAVE!!’

 

Instantly, the whole court’s attention was trained on the pair. The crowd grew silent, wondering what was going on. The players frowned at Minho– what was the new stand-by doing, shouting at the captain?

 

Minho wanted to die at that moment. He had just made fool of himself in front of the ENTIRE team – not to mention to the CAPTAIN, who must be thinking that he was a complete idiot. He looked down to the floor in embarrassment. He couldn’t believe it – he had just wrecked his career as a basketball player. He felt the eyes of the crowd, silently mocking him.

 

To his horror, his vision started to blur, but he clenched his fists and forced the tears back. He waited for the anger – or at least the annoyance from the sunbae. But instead, he heard a snort of laughter break the silence. Minhoblinked, why was he laughing?

 

Jinki looked at the younger boy happily, laughing at his reaction – He liked him: recruiting finished!

 

‘It’s decided! You’re in the team!’ he announced. ‘Practice is nine to twelve every Saturday – don’t forget! Oh yeah, you’re my replacement for the rest of the match by the way.’ Jinki threw him a grin and started to walk away from him. He paused before going out of the gates. ‘Remind that brother of yours to come! He hasn’t turned up for weeks!’ and with a final wave, he was gone.

 

Everyone gaped at him – all of them too shocked to say anything.

 

Minho just smiled. He liked the captain already.