Make Me Feel Safe

Pebbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kihyun stays pressed against the sand as he stares death right in the eyes. The shark draws nearer and nearer until Kihyun’s sure it can smell his fear.

 

He holds his breath in hopes that he can be stiller than he already is. The creature is so close and right behind it is its companion. Both sharks are practically closing in on the poor merman as he trembles and shakes. He’s never been so scared for his life before.

 

The shark is now just a few feet from him and he’s sure this is the end. He wishes Changkyun the best and he wishes he had more time. He thinks back to his birthday and when he blew out the candle.

 

He wished for happiness for Changkyun and he still wishes nothing more than that.

 

If possible, he’d be crying right now. But his tears only mix with the salty water surrounding. He lets out the breath he’s holding as he accepts his dark fate. He knows the bubbles will alert the sharks. He has no other choice.

 

The bubbles float up in a sudden burst and the sharks do turn sharply. They pointedly look at the source and notice Kihyun. Coming closer, they swim quickly.

 

The boy counts to ten to calm himself down as his life flashes before his closed eyes.

 

One. Memories of Minhyuk come to mind. The red-haired merman who’s taught him all he knows—well all he knew until Changkyun.

 

Two. Changkyun is the next thing he thinks about. He recalls the first night they met and how he was so bold to approach him.

 

Three. He thinks about the sand castles Changkyun made each night and how beautiful they were and how the human boy let him help every so often.

 

Four. He remembers the night when he felt the warmth of a human when Changkyun asked to touch his tail. The warmth radiated within him, originating from his colorless tail and moving all the way up his spine.

 

Five. The first time he tried human food is his next recollection and he finds himself smiling.

 

Six. His birthday is now all he can think about. His twenty-second birthday that he was able to share and celebrate with Changkyun. How he made a wish on a birthday cake made specially by the human boy.

 

His counting stops when his eyes open to nothing but empty waters. He turns to look in every direction until he spots two retreating shadows in the distance.

 

Relieved beyond belief, he sighs and nearly shouts in joy. He feels tears welling up as he swims toward the shore faster than ever before. He needs to see Changkyun.

 

◇ \ ◇ \ ◇

 

The feeling soon disappears moments before he spots a tuft of pink hair in the distance. He sighs in relief and smiles at the sight. The merman swims closer until he slides up on the sand near Changkyun’s feet.

 

“Did something happen? You look stressed out,” Changkyun points out as the merman’s expression harbors many emotions.

 

Kihyun shakes his head. “I had an encounter with some sharks. I thought I was going to die. There was no place to hide where I was. It seemed like they were waiting for me to make a move so they could attack.”

 

Changkyun grows confused at the boy’s words. “Did you happen to call for help?” he asks hesitantly. It can’t be, he thinks to himself.

 

The merman gapes at him with widened eyes as he nods slowly. “I didn’t say it out loud, but I thought it.”

 

“I think I heard that,” Changkyun whispers. “I don’t know how, but I felt what you were feeling. I think. And then I heard your voice. You were crying for help, Kihyun. Tell me why I could hear you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter