The Big Dipper

Pebbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The pink-haired merman lays on his back as he waits for the two humans to rejoin him on the shore. They had walked a decent distance down the sand as Hyungwon tried to process the words Changkyun spoke of the curse. Kihyun’s eyes trace made-up constellations his friend had once told him about, attempting to identify shapes in the twinkling lights up above but failing nonetheless.

 

He thinks he sees a spoon or something when a face with a soft smile blocks his view. “What are you looking at?” The boy asks, joining the merman on the cool, sandy surface, sitting just far enough out of reach of the water.

 

Kihyun turns his gaze to Changkyun and returns the smile. “I think I see the spoon star.” He uses his left index finger to trace the invisible lines connecting the stars.

 

Changkyun chuckles and shakes his head. “You mean the Big Dipper. Hyungwon, can you see it?” He reaches his hand up to grab the older’s arm and pulls him down next to the two. He cranes his head up to stargaze along with the merman. “It’s right there,” he says, pointing it out with his right hand.

 

“The Big Dipper,” Kihyun repeats with satisfaction. “I saw it on my own this time!” He grins up at his friend and then to Hyungwon, as well. “Do you know about constellations?”

 

Hyungwon looks at the merman just as a hint of confusion graces his face. “Um, yeah. I learned about them when I was really young,” he says with a quiet laugh under his breath. A yawn escapes his mouth, and he mumbles, “It’s really late, so I think we should head back soon.”

 

The younger pouts at his friend and mutters, “Can’t you just sleep in the car? I’ll drive us back later.” He looks up at the older through eyelashes and continues his pout, ignoring his friend’s questioning look. Hyungwon sighs in defeat and agrees, saying goodnight to the two boys before making the short distance to the car.

 

The merman props himself up on his elbows to say goodbye to the man. He his head at Changkyun after Hyungwon leaves the two alone.

 

“What?” The human boy questions, shrugging as if he already knows what Kihyun wants to ask just through the look on his face.

 

Kihyun, now sitting up with his head tilted, wonders, “You’ll see me tomorrow, so why not get some actual sleep tonight?” His hand is soon covered by the human boy’s. With heat creeping up from that connection, up his arm, neck, covering his face, Kihyun thinks for a moment to retract his arm in hopes of returning to his naturally cool state. But he doesn’t. He watches the boy’s eyes for something, but Changkyun doesn’t move. He just stares back.

 

“I want to stay with you,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter