Concerns of a Brother or Two

Pebbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kihyun’s bright smile brightens impossibly more when he spots a shiny gold tail in the distance. Pebbles in hand, he meets his brother halfway. “Minhyuk!” he squeals as be brings the older boy into his embrace.

 

The other laughs at the sudden affectionate contact and gives his brother a questioning look. “Something seems different, Ki. Your hair is so much paler than I’ve ever seen it be before. Did something happen while I was away?”

 

The pink-haired merman couldn’t contain his excitement as he recalls the time spent with the human boy. “You wouldn’t believe a word I say even if I told you,” he teases.

 

His brother is accepting, and he knows it very well. His brother would understand and support Kihyun’s decisions as long as it makes him happy. So before the older protests, Kihyun decides to tell him.

 

“I met someone,” he admits, fiddling with the tiny colorful rocks in his hand. “And I really enjoy spending time with him.”

 

Minhyuk gasps, intrigued at the news his brother bears. “Really? Who’s all the way out here? I haven’t seen another one of us in years, since, you know, since N,” his voice trails off. But his dark moment soon washes over as he asks another probing question. “What’s his name?”

 

The smaller merman smiles for a moment as his heart starts racing. He giggles much to Minhyuk’s surprise. The older doesn’t understand what’s taken over his younger brother.

 

“His name is Changkyun,” Kihyun answers, beaming.

 

Minhyuk laughs at how cute his brother has become. “Where is he?” he asks curiously, looking around the surrounding open water.

 

The younger pauses momentarily to contemplate whether or not he should tell his brother that Changkyun is a human. He peers into the older’s inquisitive eyes and nods to himself. He bites his lip in thought before deciding to let him know. “He’s a human. He comes to the beach every night.”

 

The reaction from Minhyuk was a mixture of confusion, excitement, and fear for the other. His eyes grew dark before he mumbled, “That can’t be.”

 

“But it is, Minhyuk. He’s my friend and—”

 

“YOU CAN’T TRUST HUMANS!” Minhyuk shouts, face turning red out of anger and frustration.

 

Kihyun’s hair darkens with his expression. “I care about him,” he whispers weakly. “And he cares about me. He’ll protect me.” I trust him.

 

The older shakes his head in disbelief, eyes wide with rage and confusion. “But you can’t be together.”

 

“We’ll find a way.”

 

“He can’t protect you from on land.”

 

“Just the thought of him is enough to protect me.”

 

Minhyuk eyes the smaller with suspicion. “Are you going to see him tonight?”

 

The younger nods slowly, feeling tears warming up his eyes. “I see him every night.”

 

“How long has this been going on?”

 

“I don’t know how many days, but it’s been a little while now,” he replies honestly. “He gave me a birthday, Minhyuk. We celebrated me being born.”

 

The older noticed his brother’s hair lightening as his lips curve into a shy smile. “How do you celebrate something like that?”

 

“He made me a cake, I made a wish, he gave me a present. He told me the humans do all this every year for every single person’s birthday. Some of the birthdays are more special than others, he told me. It’s so fascinating,” Kihyun beams.

 

Minhyuk pales as the younger speaks. His mouth drops slightly before he dares to ask, “You said he gave you something?”

 

The younger nods excitedly at how his brother seems to be becoming more accepting of his new friend. He lifts his hand that cradled the stones. “He gave me these since I live in the water and can’t take much else with me. He says they’re called pebbles. They’re little rocks from the freshwater stream he visits occasionally.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter