Sea Witches and Sandwiches

Pebbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minhyuk leads the way as the two brothers start their journey to the Sea Witch. Kihyun was told that they’d be swimming for the entire day and can rest once they find a certain hiding spot near the Sea Witch’s lair.

 

This is the farthest Kihyun will ever be from home—from the shore, actually—and he’s growing nervous. His senses are on high alert as they swim close to the surface but out of sight from the humans above in boats or planes.

 

Kihyun stays close to his golden-tailed brother and tries to calm his own anxious heart. He knows if he thinks too much, Changkyun may be able to hear him. The last thing he wants right now is for the human boy to worry.

 

He told him he’d keep them both safe and Kihyun never backs out on his promises.

 

“Keep an eye out from here on,” the older brother advises. “If you see as much as a shadow, tell me.”

 

Shivers travel down the younger’s spine as he nods and obeys. His eyes dart around and below the two. Though he earlier regretted not spending his time with Changkyun in a conscious state, he’s now thankful for the bit of rest he managed to get. The sleep he was able to have is now aiding him in his alertness.

 

They continue to swim in the most empty water Kihyun has ever seen for what seems like days. He glances up to the surface and notes the orange streaks above. It’s evening, he thinks, wondering if Changkyun can hear him.

 

Part of him wants something to happen just so he can signal the human boy. But the other part of him knows how stupid a thought that is. The last thing he wants is to put either in danger, so he shakes the thoughts away.

 

Minhyuk slows and places an arm out before Kihyun to stop his movements. “We’re close,” he whispers. “But I don’t think we’re alone.”

 

The younger scans the surrounding waters and sees a slim figure in the distance, in the direction they’re headed to. “What is it?” Kihyun questions quietly.

 

He sees the older one shake his head slightly in confusion. “I’m not so sure. I think it might be one of our kind.” He then adds with dread, “Or maybe a siren. It’s too human-like to be anything else.”

 

Kihyun gulps as he looks to his brother for further instruction.

 

“Just swim slowly and keep watch. If you see it get any closer or make any sudden, suspicious movement, let me know and we’ll bolt to the hiding place I know of,” he guides. “Got it?”

 

The younger makes a small noise of affirmation and continues to follow his brother as if in slow motion.

 

Surprisingly, the figure swims past them from far away. Its path seems near parallel to the brothers’. Kihyun keeps an eye on the waning shadow.

 

He sighs in relief once it’s out of sight.

 

“We’re here,” he hears from in front before noticing his brother had stopped swimming.

 

Kihyun looks around to what seems like a regular deep water floor. He blinks stupidly at the plain sight before him. There’s nothing special about it. He starts to doubt his brother’s sense of direction until a sudden swarm of sting rays sways him.

 

The sand beneath them swirls around with the motion of the sea creatures. They create some sort of pathway of sand that leads the two mermen to a hidden cave entrance decorated with dark green kelp and a large pearl-donning clam.

 

Kihyun admires the beauty with a longing gaze as he’s pushed into what he believes is the Sea Witch’s lair.

 

“So you’ve come,” a deep voice projects, sound bouncing off the walls with so much resonance Kihyun can’t determine the source. “I’ve been expecting you two.”

 

A figure appears from the back of the cave and comes into the visible part of the cave, lit by glowing algae and other bioluminescent creatures. Reflective silver hair shines teal with the lighting of the cave. Kihyun’s sure that the Sea Witch’s hair would be absolutely stunning if under the moon’s glow.

 

The Sea Witch nears the brothers and his appearance draws a sharp breath out of the younger.

 

“Don’t be alarmed, I’m still one of you,” the silver-haired man reassures. “Well, technically. My kind is distantly related.”

 

Minhyuk wraps a secure arm around his brother and tells him that it’s okay, that he’s okay.

 

“I’m a Selkie, part human part seal. In the water, I take the appearance of a human with a seal tail, but I’m capable of going on land as a human. Only if I shed my skin.”

 

The Selkie’s words send shivers throughout the younger. He’s only heard about Selkies in stories from sailors sea-tales. He thought they were all long gone.

 

As if the Sea Witch is reading his mind, he adds, “I’m the last of my kind. I’ve been banished by the other creatures to this cave because of my dreaded appearance. After many tides of isolation, I mastered magic and spells, I learned the tales of the sea people, I cast and broke too many curses to count. I became today’s Sea Witch, Ravi.”

 

The older brother pushes the younger forward and speaks up, “I’m sure you know already, but my younger brother has gotten himself locked under a curse. He’s accepted a gift laced with wishes from a human. It seems they’re already bound together. My knowledge is limited, so I was hoping you could help us out.”

 

Ravi nods slowly and threads his fingers through his silky, shimmering hair. “You know that my services aren’t free, correct?”

 

The red-haired merman nods. “Let me know your price.”

 

The Sea Witch’s cold, blue eyes slowly trail down the merman’s body and to his tail. His focus shifts to the younger’s tail before he asks, “Why is his tail without color? Has it always been that way?”

 

Kihyun nods cautiously. “It has. I don’t know why, though.”

 

“It’s because you’re incomplete,” he states simply.

 

The younger feels his shoulders droop with the statement. He’s always felt insecure about his tail and he’s known that he’s incomplete without the color. But the words Ravi used were different. “What do you mean it’s because I’m incomplete? Doesn’t the lack of color make me incomplete?”

 

Ravi shakes his head softly. “No, no, child. This curse, there’s much more to it. And now that I know about your tail situation, it all makes sense. You see, it’s quite difficult for the curse to actually come into action. Many times, a human will gift a mermaid a wish, but they won't bind because of some external factor. However, with you, dear, this is fate.”

 

Minhyuk scoffs at that. “Fate? What’s that supposed to mean? You’re trying to say that this curse was supposed to happen to my brother?”

 

“Exactly,” the Selkie affirms. “Kihyun isn’t supposed to be in this life. He never was supposed to be. Or maybe that boy Changkyun wasn’t made to be human. Either way, one of you two aren’t where you’re supposed to be.”

 

He continues, “You said the human boy gave Kihyun pebbles?”

 

The golden-tailed merman gapes at the Selkie. “You really do know everything, huh?”

 

“Almost everything,” he corrects before going on. “Any form of rock, gem, or mineral has the strongest bond capacity for a human and a merman. Why? Because it is solid and can surv

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter