Act II, Scene 3

through time and time again

“Yo, what’s wrong with Pilkyo?” Eric asks Minwoo. “He’s been more pissy than usual.”

Minwoo shrugs, being careful not to let anyone hear his reply. “Maybe he’s got a girl?” he suggests conspiratorially, and Eric suddenly lets out a laugh.

“Impossible.” They finish packing up and head off. From the other side of the practice room, Andy can only watch as Eric slings an arm around Hyesung, who throws it off angrily before stalking away.

The comment about the girlfriend hurt. What hurts even more was what Hyesung had said two days ago. ‘Because I ing love you too much!’

What the had he even meant? Andy had reflected upon his actions, burying himself in the comfort of his bed, and realized that he had let himself run out of control. He probably should have sent Hyesung an apology text, but that would have meant having to explain himself, which he really didn’t want to do.

How does he tell his hyung, his best friend of twenty years, that he’s desperately in love with him?

The answer: he doesn’t.

Andy can only watch, painfully, as he chooses to hang out with Junjin, his other best friend, the one the fans always ship him with, and laugh like there’s nothing wrong in the world, like he doesn’t give a single about anything.

But Andy does. He gives way too many s, cares about way too much, including those he shouldn’t care about. Does that include Hyesung? Yes, of course. Does he regret it? Yes, of course.

But no.

No, he doesn’t.

Andy doesn’t regret loving Hyesung. He only regrets that Hyesung doesn’t love him back.

So he stands up, leaves the practice room, and calls up Dongwan to go eat with him.

***

“Someone’s moody today.”

Andy doesn’t even bother to answer Dongwan’s good-natured jab, choosing to focus on his noodles instead. Evidently unsurprised, Dongwan lets out a soft snort and reaches over to tap Andy’s head.

“Hellooooo,” he calls. “I’m talking to you, Sunho.”

“I know.” If Andy’s short reply bothers him, Dongwan doesn’t show it. He smiles brightly at the acknowledgement and takes a sip of beer. They sit in silence for a while, eating and drinking, until Andy finally stands up to pay.

“Wait, wait, wait, what are you doing?” Dongwan leaps to his feet, arms outstretched. “I can’t let our cute little maknae pay when he’s having a bad day, can I?” He dashes away. “Just stay here, Andy, and I’ll be right back!”

Admittedly, Andy’s a bit taken aback. Dongwan never pays if he can help it. Must his misery be so evident? Utterly defeated, Andy sits back down and waits for his hyung to come back. When he does return, Andy pours him a shot of beer as a silent thanks.

“What’s been bothering you lately, hm?” Dongwan doesn’t drink the beer, instead leaning against the table. “It’s really affecting the group mood, you know, and I thought we didn’t hide secrets between us.”

“Why don’t you go ask Hyesung-hyung?” Andy mutters, taking Dongwan’s beer for himself. He throws the shot back, and Dongwan’s eyebrows rise into his bangs.

“What’s Hyesungie got to do with it?” It’s evident by his tone that Dongwan is curious now, wanting to find out more about the conflict than to help Andy. “Did he yell at you? I can go beat him up if you want.”

Despite the heaviness in his heart, Dongwan’s words draw a chuckle from Andy. He can already imagine the shock on Hyesung’s face. “Nah,” he answers with a sigh. “Hyesung-hyung will end up destroying you.”

“So what’s wrong?” Dongwan persists, and Andy knows that he’s not going to give up. His best bet to get out of a counseling session is to either get Dongwan drunk, or get drunk himself. Taking into account his current situation, neither is a particularly good option.

“It’s just a stupid fight we had.” Andy eyes his glass with great interest, trying to keep his cool. “We’ll get over it.”

“Hmm.” Dongwan leans back in his seat, tracing the pattern of the tablecloth. “Well, you know, I asked Hyesung about it a couple of days ago, when we drank together” - wait, they drank together? The night we fought? - “and he babbled something about liking Jinnie better. You, him, and Jinnie?” Dongwan wiggles his eyebrows. “Are the fans’ dreams coming true? You’re all in a ?”

Oh my god. Andy cannot believe this hyung. Jokes aside, though, it’s almost satisfactory to learn that their fight affected Hyesung as much as it did him, but at the same time, it also hurts, that instead of talking it out, Hyesung had gone to Dongwan.

But whose fault is that, you little ? “I got mad that he never hangs out with me on broadcasts.” Before he realizes, Andy’s pouring the entire story out. “The fans are all Ricsyung and Jinsyung, but they never seem to remember that I’m a baby bird too, that Hyesung-hyung loves me the best, and it’s never been about Choongjae, and I’m so ing selfish but--”

“Okay, stop.” Dongwan holds up his hands in surrender. “Back up. So, you think that Hyesung prefers Jinnie over you.” Andy nods miserably. “And… you went and yelled at him about it.”

“In public. At a brunch place.”

Dongwan bursts out laughing, and Andy glares at him. “Okay, okay, sorry.” He attempts to hide a lingering smile. “So you fought with him in a brunch place, and I’m assuming you didn’t explain the situation?”

Andy shakes his head, also miserably, and Dongwan takes a deep breath. “You really need to,” he says, as seriously as he can. “Sunho, it’s bad if you keep it in. Even if it’s embarrassing to admit, you need to talk it out with him.”

“He hates me now,” Andy grumbles, putting his face on the table. “He’s ignored me for two entire days.”

Dongwan can’t manage to hold in his laugh, and Andy can’t help the throbbing pain in his heart.

“You’ll be okay,” Dongwan promises, ruffling his hair. “Don’t worry, I’ll talk to him for you.”

Usually, Andy would object, preferring to settle matters himself, but today, he just doesn’t have the energy to say anything. Dongwan hums, taking his silence as an affirmative, and goes, leaving Andy alone with his thoughts.


so dongwan, right? LOL i felt like dongwan was being neglected (although in reality it's probably eric and minwoo who never appear) so here comes this . I actually have not written a lot of Act III (which will be longer, btw) so time to get snap snap!!