Act I, Scene 2

through time and time again

“Come on, Sunho-yah, just fulfill hyung’s one wish,” Hyesung begs over the phone. “I’m seriously alone, and you don’t want your hyung to feel lonely, do you?”

Andy leans back in his office chair, clicking his pen. “Well…” He pretends to contemplate the question for a moment. “That’s your own problem, hyung. But,” he adds quickly, hearing Hyesung’s sharp intake of breath, “I’m actually at work, so unless you come to me, I can’t go to you.”

Hyesung stays silent, and Andy gives him five seconds to respond. One, two, three…

“Well--” Hyesung begins, but Andy leans forward and knocks on his desk.

“Oops, someone’s at the door” - he acts surprised - “I better go, hyung, bye!”

He cackles for a long time after hanging up, but the growing pain in his heart forces him to stop before his laughter turns into tears.

Why him? Andy tilts his head back, letting his eyes dry. It’s not like they haven’t hung out before, just by themselves, but Hyesung usually goes to Eric or Junjin, sometimes even Dongwan. He’s never been the first choice, so how desperate must Hyesung be?

He sighs, turning to look outside the window, but it’s a bad idea. He had forgotten about the framed picture of Shinhwa on the windowsill. It’s in just the right place to catch the late morning sun, and the members seem to glow with a golden aura.

Of course it’s just an illusion, but Andy would rather believe that it’s a sign from the heavens, that Shinhwa will live on forever. But, at the same time, he would rather not focus on the way Hyesung’s shirt complements his hair, the way his smile doesn’t quite reach his eyes (Hyesung never really smiles for photoshoots), the way he seems to know exactly what’s going on in Andy’s heart.

And it hurts him, that he never will.

A sudden, urgent knock at his office door sends Andy into a panic. “One second!” he calls, fanning himself to hide his flushed cheeks. “Please come in!”

“Whatchu gonna do, what I gotta do, keep me up and making a cash, in flash at last.” Hyesung peeks his head in, rapping Eric’s part from T.O.P, and Andy’s hasty mask of professionality all but breaks. “See, I came to you!”

Andy covers his face with his hands, trembling. He lets out a forced laugh, but tears make their way out of his eyes. What’s going on with him? Why does even seeing Hyesung hurt so much?

“Oh god, hyung,” he manages to say, wiping his eyes as if Hyesung’s antics had been extremely funny. “Hyung, I’m trying to do work.” He even makes a huge deal of showing Hyesung his computer screen.

“I know that.” Hyesung plops himself down on the couch beneath the window. “I’ll just sit here and wait until you’re done.” He stretches, obviously enjoying the warm sunshine, and his hand hits the picture. “Oh, what’s this?”

Andy turns away from pretending to work to look at his hyung in affection. Hyesung has a gentle smile on his face as he looks over the picture. He glances up, catching Andy’s eye (his heartbeat quickens), and pretends to be dissatisfied.

“Hey, what’s with this old picture?” he demands with a pout, brandishing it in the air. Andy rolls his eyes and stands up, plucking it away. “I look ugly as in it!”

“You do not.” Andy sits down beside Hyesung and puts the picture back. “You look fine, although to be fair, the glare makes us both look weird.”

“Exactly!” Hyesung leans back and studies Andy, who tries his best to do the same, but mockingly. “See, you have a very nice face,” Hyesung says, tracing Andy’s features with a hand. “First off, your eyes are bigger than mine, and your nose is very nice.” He places his fingers on Andy’s protesting lips. “No, don’t argue with me on this. Ooh, your lips are nice too. And you have muscles, and your voice is all soft, and you’re our cute little maknae.”

He leans in for a hug, but Andy puts his hand on his hyung’s face. “You’re so annoying, Andy-yah…” Hyesung hangs there, face buried in Andy’s hand, arms dangling down. “My nose is being squished,” he says nasally. “Hey, Andy, my nose is going to break.”

“Your own fault,” Andy retorts, but he takes his hand away, and Hyesung falls into his lap, nose inches away from his crotch. Andy takes in a sharp breath as Hyesung nuzzles around, trying to find a comfortable position.

“Hyung,” he whines, trying to sound normal, lightly pushing his head away. “Hyung, you’re being annoying. Why can’t you act this cute on camera?”

“Because it’s weird.” Hyesung’s voice is muffled by Andy’s pants, and he raises his head to breathe, looking imploringly into Andy’s eyes. “Then the whole world will know that I love you, and I don’t want that to happen.”

Andy scoffs, turning it into a laugh at the last second. “Hyung, you’re supposed to show the world that you love someone.” He pushes Hyesung off and crosses his legs. “Like how I bully hyungs, it’s because I love you.”

“Oh?” Hyesung suddenly sits up, reminding Andy of an overexcited puppy. “So when Andy always makes fun of me more than anyone else, it’s because he loves me the most!”

Andy rolls his eyes as Hyesung plasters himself to his arm, rubbing his cheek against the fabric of his shirt. “Are you drunk?” he asks, because it sure seems like it. “I’m going to take you home, hyung.”

“I’m not!” Hyesung insists, not budging an inch. Andy makes a face. It’s obvious that Hyesung knows that, with his waist, Andy would never be able to drag him up. “See, you’re bullying me again! You love me!”

“I love you, hyung,” Andy agrees quietly, running his fingers through Hyesung’s hair. It’s soft, dyed hazelnut brown, and Andy smiles, feeling his heart swell. “I bully you because I love you, and I never want you to leave.”

With a bit of difficulty, Hyesung lies back down on Andy’s legs. He smiles, taking Andy’s hand and lacing their fingers together. Andy’s breath hitches - stop this, he does this a lot, it’s not like it’s the first time - and he lets out a small breath.

“Do you really love me that much?” Hyesung asks, amused. He rubs his thumb across Andy’s hand. “Stay with me, then, Sunho.”

Sunlight falls across Hyesung’s face, and he glows. Andy swallows thickly, nodding, as the pain in his heart returns. “I’ll try, hyung,” he whispers. “As long as I’m able to, I will.”

A twinkle of mischievousness enters Hyesung’s eyes, and he sits up, still holding onto Andy. “Then let’s get lunch together!” he exclaims happily, dragging Andy out of the door. “You’ve done way too much work today!”

Andy can only laugh, feeling the warmth of his hyung’s hand in his, as Hyesung leads him to his car (it’s white) and puts on his own song (Rocodrama). He can only giggle as Hyesung makes terrible jokes, as Hyesung taps his fingers against the steering wheel, as Hyesung orders what seems to be his usual, as Hyesung hands the menu to him, as Hyesung, as Hyesung, as Hyesung--

Andy is so in love with his Hyesungie-hyung.


Uh oh, did I write Andy too out of character? Actually, I feel like I might have written Hyesung too OOC... looool but in any case, this story focuses more on Andy anyway so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯