Act I, Scene 1

through time and time again

Hyesung rubs his hand absentmindedly along Andy’s thigh. “What are you playing?” he asks, peering at Andy’s phone. “Is it that game everyone’s obsessed with? The balloon-popping one?”

“It’s Candy Crush, hyung.” Andy shifts slightly, allowing Hyesung to see the screen. “And it’s old. No one plays it anymore.”

“No one other than our Lee Sunho,” Hyesung teases, tapping his fingers against Andy’s knee. “You only play the old games because you’re old yourself.”

Andy pauses the game to argue with his hyung, a retort already on the tip of his tongue, but Hyesung laughs and gets up. “Take care, hm?” he says softly, patting Andy’s cheek. Then, with a light step, he’s back to practicing, getting yelled at by Eric and Minwoo, fooling around like he didn’t just mess with Andy’s heart.

He can’t remember when it started, how it happened. He only remembers the feeling, the way his heart dropped, the twinge in his stomach, when Hyesung had smiled at him one day, eyes all crinkled up and hair plastered to his forehead.

He looked gorgeous, and a sharp pain tore through Andy’s heart. Since when had his hyung been so beautiful? Since when had he shone so brightly?

Since when?

“Yah, Lee Sunho!”

The telltale whistle that begins Sniper fills the room, and Andy starts. He avoids Eric’s glare and scurries to his place in the back of the group. As the song starts, he can only breathe a sigh of relief that he doesn’t have to interact much with Hyesung in this song. But nonetheless, whenever Hyesung’s in front of him - which is, like, half the song - Andy can’t help but let his eyes stray to the main vocal.

There’s something in the way that he moves, the softness of his dance compared to Minwoo’s passion, Junjin’s precision, and even Andy’s own caution. Part of it might be that, yes, he can’t risk his knees, but Hyesung was never a main dancer in the first place, never needed such sharpness in his moves.

I’m a sharpshooter, a bullseye straight to your heart, you can’t stay, ca-can’t escape from my eyes.

“What’s wrong?” Minwoo pauses the music and turns to Andy. “You’re not very focused today.”

Everyone stares at him, and Andy burns under the gazes of all his hyungs. “I’m fine. Sorry for messing up.” He dismisses the problem with a quick shake of his head. “Should we do it over?”

In the mirror, Andy sees Hyesung’s worried eyes follow his every move, every step, all the way through the song. Then, as soon as the song ends, Hyesung makes his way to Andy, resting a protective hand on his waist.

“What’s wrong?” he asks quietly, applying gentle pressure. Despite nothing being wrong today, the warmth feels good, and Andy sighs without meaning to. “See, I knew it, I knew you overworked yourself again.” He helps Andy sit down, prattling on about how he should take care of his health, how stupid Eric and Minwoo are for working him this hard, how stupid he is for working that hard, how his company can manage without him for at least one day…

“Hyung,” he sighs, placing a hand on the back of Hyesung’s knee. Hyesung stops talking. “Hyung, I’m okay. It’s not too bad.”

Not as bad as the pain in my heart.

Hyesung’s eyebrows knit together, and he opens his mouth to say something, but Andy cuts him off, standing up. “Seriously, hyung.” He smiles and runs his fingers through Hyesung’s hair, not caring about the sweat. “Honestly, I’m more worried about your legs.” He sticks out his tongue to show that he’s teasing, and Hyesung’s eyes soften into amusement.

“You little brat!” He jabs his fingers into Andy’s ribs, lightly, just enough to make him screech in laughter but not enough to actually hurt. “You’re half the reason I hurt anyway.”

Andy doesn’t get a chance to ask why, since This Love begins to play, and Junjin drags him into place, but Hyesung’s words echo through his head throughout the entire dance.

(You’re half the reason I hurt anyway.) I can’t get enough, can’t get off of your love. (You’re half the reason,) I’m addicted (half the reason I hurt anyway.)

The irony in that, he thinks bitterly, is that Hyesung doesn’t know how much he hurts him.


So we've got Act I Scene 1 down! There's only like.... eight more chapters to go!!!