2 0 1 8

Want you back

(( minor tw/ 18 dec ))
 

 

 

Naeun stood in the corner of the room, watching famous people interact with one another. She was currently at an event, promoting Adidas as she had recently signed on board with them. Naeun sipped the champagne in her hand, eyes still scanning her surroundings.

Naeun spotted Taemin and watched him communicate with a stranger. They had started patching things up during late November. It took Naeun at least a week to pluck up some courage to send Taemin a message. To her surprise, Taemin replied immediately to her text. Since then, they begun texting each other again.

Things were going great between them until that fateful day. She remembered the shock which caused her heart to stop for a second before taking a deep breath. With shaky hands, Naeun called Taemin. She knew he would be receiving many calls but she couldn't believe the news herself.

Receiving the confirmation felt like fever dream sequence if she were to be honest. Naeun just remembers the chaos of the world, how heartbroken she felt losing someone once personal to her, how she wanted to be there for Taemin and s too. 

Visiting the memorial hall was kinda odd too. You could tell how everyone there was still in disbelief despite being in the same room as his coffin. Naeun and her members exchanged greetings and condolences, spent a couple moments praying and just remembering Jonghyun.

It's been five months now since his passing, Naeun have almost made her peace with it while Taemin was still trying his best. He's thankful for having his friends and fans to help him through this, knowing he isn't hurting alone is more comforting than ever. 

Taemin quickly ended his conversation, politely thanking them and making his way towards Naeun. They were in a safe zone, the press all the way at the entrance. Taemin's grateful for Naeun too. For sticking around, for giving him a chance, for being someone he can rely on when he feels like he's bothering his hyungs. 

An easy smile graced his face as he easily fits himself next to her. Naeun grins too, offering her glass of champagne. 

" Thanks, " he mutters before downing the remains of her drink. Naeun shakes her head fondly. 

" Who was that? " Naeun asks, referring to the stranger Taemin was caught up with.

Taemin shrugged, " Not sure. He knew me though. Found out he was some international designer. "

Naeun teasingly jerked her elbows into Taemin's side, " Someone's famous. " 

" Right, says the girl who has standees of her littered all over Seoul. " He counters back jokingly. They carry on, making small talk until they're forced to separate to complete their own promotions for the event. 

 

It's July. SHINee's still promoting their album, the final instalment of the series while Apink finally released their anticipated album. Taemin and Naeun are lucky that their scheduled clashed again. It's been a while since they've been able to meet outside of their schedule, even this small opportunity at a broadcasting station is enough to hype them up. 

Naeun was getting her hair done when a notification popped on her screen. She read it quickly, a small smile forming immediately at the sender's name. Naeun typed in a quick reply and checked her reflection. " I think this is good enough, " Naeun informs her hairstylist. 

She stares at Naeun for a second, examining her hair. " I need the restroom, please it's great! " Naeun whines, pouting at her. She untangled her fingers from Naeun's hair, releasing Naeun from hair and makeup. 

" Going out real quick, " Naeun announces out loud and quickly leaves her waiting room without waiting for a reply. 

She's got the floor layout memorised by the back of her mind, her footsteps leading her to the secluded stairway. No one used the stairs in this day and age, especially the back stairs. Naeun easily slips away from the busy environment, finding Taemin sitting on the steps. 

It's like clock work, Naeun settles next to him and brings him close to her. She cuddles him, rubbing his arm soothingly. She understands how worn out he feels, especially now more than ever promoting such a meaningful song. He needs this and she knows it

They continue to sit in silence, just basking in each other's presence until Taemin breaks the silence. He moves his head up, nuzzling into Naeun's neck, " Thank you. " 

She squeezes him, affirming him. " You're always welcome. " 

Taemin pulled away, checking his phone. " Come on, you gotta go on soon. " 

Naeun juts her lips out, knowing at the end of the day she has a job to fulfil to. Taemin stood up, offering his hands to pull Naeun up. She takes his offer, placing her hands in his as he pulls her. Naeun lands chest to chest, on him and they laugh. Taemin gives her a peck on the lips before fussing for her to hurry before she's late. 

 

( Naeun did end up running down the hallway but it was worth it. During the end of the show, as Nuest W stands in between the two groups, Minho leans in close to Taemin to tease the younger about Naeun. No one needs to know though, aside from Taemin. )

 

The Korean Music Festival line up is pretty impressive. Shinee sticks to their regular set list for the past few months. The only difference about today is the rose event where they gift a random fan in the crowd a rose to express their gratitude. 

Currently, Apink is wrapping up their ment. They've gone through a brief interview with the host and even surprised their fans with a group pose. Taemin and s did laugh at their creativity. The minutes flew by quickly and he was rushed to the backstage, waiting for his turn to take the stage. Taemin observes them, jamming to their songs before he's forced to a quick group meeting. He does his warmup as Apink performs, their backup dancers dancing along to Apink.

Apink exited at the other end of the stage. As the light dims, and the vcr starts to play, Taemin picks out Naeun's thumbs up when he makes his way onto stage. She disappears and Taemin composes himself for the fans.

 

Promotions finally ends for the two of them, however Taemin is in the midst of prepping for his Japanese comeback. That isn't sometime till late September though which is why Naeun was currently situated in the comfort of Taemin's arms. They were watching a horror movie together, Taemin occasionally tries to scare her but fails miserably. ( " If you keep this up, we'll just watch Twilight again. " " Oh, I'll stop I promise. " ) The rest of the experience goes by smoothly and the soon enough, the credits starts to roll. 

Taemin stretches his arm behind the two of them, yawning in the process. Naeun exits Netflix, and brings their mugs back to the kitchen to rinse it. Taemin joins her after he fixes the couch throw, wiping the mugs clean and drying them.

Wordlessly, Taemin offers his hand and Naeun gently holds it as they make their way to bed. It's a connection they have naturally implemented between them, able to codependent on one another. 

Since they're already in their pyjamas, they head straight for bed on their respective sides. The lights are off and the curtains were drawn, leaving them in the comfort of darkness and their presence. Taemin has practice tomorrow morning but she's thankful he still chose to stay up and spend some quality time with her. 

" Taemin? " Naeun whispers, knowing he was still awake by his breathing pattern just needed to grab his attention. She feels him shift his head downwards to look at her. Naeun tilts her head up, reaching to close the gap between them. It soothes Taemin, feels like coming home and Naeun could feel it too. When they pull away, Taemin holds Naeun tightly towards him despite being on a bed large enough for the two of them.

" I love you, just so you remember that I'm always here for you. " Naeun says softly. 

Taemin kisses her forhead, " I'll always remember that. I'm here for you too, so thankful to have you by my side. I love you Son Naeun. " 

If love was a personified as a person, then they're each other's definition of love. Drifting off into slumber, all wrapped up in the safety of each other despite their own hardships as a couple and an individual, is enough for them both as a reminder that they'll find each other no matter the odds. A sign, that no matter how long they're gone, they'll always gonna want each other back.