Thursday

What U Do?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Just barely out of reach,

I don’t think you’ll lessen the distance between us...

But why is it making me like you so much more?

When this night passes,

I’m going to make a move I won’t be able to take back...

The story will be starting tonight.




 

Meeting her favorite author did nothing to brighten her mood. Did he really just not want to come? Or maybe, something had come up?

 

She wasn’t sure what she was...Sad, angry, disappointed. But then again, he had never really led her on. She supposes he was kind to all of the students. She doesn’t understand why she’s acting or feeling this way. Hadn’t she insisted before that nothing could ever transpire between them?

 

But the way her name rolled off his tongue was so satisfying. The way his eyes always seemed to be searching for hers. The way that shy, soft smile seemed to be reserved just for her.

 

It had all been in her imagination then. Of course someone as handsome and mature as Mr. Byun wouldn’t want to be with someone like her; a dorky, awkward university student. He could’ve broken it to her gently though.

 

Krystal noticed her friend sighing for the nth time that evening. She had urged her to go with her to the nearest cafe and have a drink to try to lift her spirits. But it was painfully obvious that the other girl was just absorbed in her thoughts.

 

“Is everything okay?” Krystal asked, but already knew.

 

“I’m sorry I’m not much fun right now...Thank you for the smoothie Krys. You’re always so kind to me.” She mustered up the strength to send her friend a small smile. Krystal had always been there for her since high school. They were an odd pair, like day and night. But somehow, they got along very well.

Even though they were so close, she didn’t really want to talk about her troubles. It was usually hard for her to open up as it was but talking about possibly having a crush on Mr. Byun was embarrassing.

 

Krystal didn’t want to probe her any further. She knew what was upsetting her anyways.

 

She felt like such a bad friend. But...this was for her own good. Wasn’t it?

 

She walked her to the bus stop once they were finished with their drinks.

 

She was seconds close to telling her the truth about the whole situation but a tight hug later, Krystal decided against it.

 

Love could be selfish sometimes, couldn’t it?

 

“What do you want Seulgi? I’m busy.” Baekhyun had been in a horrible mood all week. He had deadlines to meet regarding inventory and Seulgi had made it more difficult dropping by at unwarranted times.

 

But that long, wavy hair he longed to catch a glimpse of was nowhere to be seen.

 

Life was unfair.

 

“I just came to visit my coworker. I don’t see the harm in that.” Seulgi said, pleasant as ever.

 

“Well, as you can surely see, I’m very busy.” Baekhyun let out a quiet growl seeing her still standing there.

 

“Let’s go out for lunch? I miss seeing you.” She asked, resting her chin on her palm, playing coy.

 

Baekhyun loosened his tie in frustration. His tone became authoritative, dark.

 

“Listen well, because I’ll only be telling you this once. There is absolutely nothing between us nor will there ever be. You are the one who chose to cheat on me. I am completely happy now, without you in my life. We are coworkers and that’s all we will be. Don’t cross the line. Now if you’ll excuse me. I have work to do and I assume you do as well. Or did they hire you to stand idle?”

 

Seulgi couldn’t even be angry. She missed seeing him worked up. But since she did need her job, she bid him farewell and left.

Baekhyun groaned as soon as she walked out. He knew he should’ve called in sick today. The more he saw her, the more he reopened wounds from the past.

 

Because at one point in time, Seulgi had been Baekhyun’s baby. And it had been a terrible mistake.

 

-

 

“The new history prof is getting on my nerves. How can she give us so much work? I miss Mrs. Lim.” Chanyeol, who was taking the same history course as her, complained.

 

“Well, at least it’s just an essay. It could’ve been a powerpoint or something.” She tried to reason. Sure Mrs. Kang was a little tough, but she taught really well. And essays were easy breezy to her.

 

“I’d rather it had been a powerpoint. I could’ve just copied and pasted things together. At least she’s pretty. It makes lectures easier to pay attention to.” Chanyeol smirked.

 

“I take it you’re getting over your crush on Mrs. Lim?” She asked. He had adored their previous teacher and had gotten sad when she had to go on temporary leave because of a family issue.

 

“Hell no! That woman’s a goddess. If she didn’t have a partner, I’d definitely try to hook up.”

 

“You don’t think it’s inappropriate to want to…’hook up’ with a professor?” She asked. She knew Chanyeol was a big goofball. He joked about everything. But was it really not as taboo as she thought?

 

“The way I look at it, we’re adults right? We’re nineteen, twenty years old. We know about consent. Sure, it’d be a little strange to others to see you having a steady relationship with your prof who is most likely decades older than you. But, I’m mostly just joking about Mrs. Lim. I know she’s married. I can’t help but appreciate beauty when I see it though. Like you.” Chanyeol stopped, holding onto her shoulder so she would stop walking too. She had been so absorbed in reasoning with his reasoning that she didn’t even catch what he said last.

 

“We don’t talk often and when we do, it’s mostly about class stuff. But looking at you right now, you’re really pretty. You know it don’t you?” Chanyeol said earnestly.

 

“Know what…” She wasn’t sure what Chanyeol was getting at. How could he find her pretty? He was handsome and outgoing. He was friends with all the handsome boys, like Sehun and Kai. While she was...a literature geek?

 

“When you do that...you’re the prettiest. Hmm, I can’t believe it took me this long to notice.”

 

“Notice what? Chanyeol, are your eyes okay today? I think all this extra work is giving you stress.” She said.

 

“You know what? You’re right! And since I’m your favorite classmate and you’re obviously mine, let’s do the essay together! Kang said we needed partners, but she’d let us choose. So, what do you say?” Chanyeol smiled, his dimple popping up.

 

“O-okay. That would be fine.” She barely had time to react when he gave her a big hug.

 

“Yes! Our essay is going to be the best! It’s not due until Thursday. I’m free all week after school. Give me your phone so I can put my number in.” He was so excited. It wasn’t unusual for Chanyeol to be hyper but, as he had said earlier, they only ever discussed class stuff. He had never been this enthused with her before. She dug into her backpack pocket and handed her phone over.

 

“Are you sure you’re free? I thought you performed at Exodus after school…” She regretted saying that. But it isn’t like the whole uni didn’t know anyways. Chanyeol, Sehun, Kai, and Yixing, basically the school’s F4, performed there. She had never been but she heard their dancing, rapping and singing was amazing.

 

“I see my reputation precedes me.” Chanyeol laughed. Quite crazily.

 

“No but really, I’m free. SeKaiXing are doing a dance competition this week. Thursday I have a session but we would have turned in our essay by then so it’s all good.” He continued.

 

“Hey...did you maybe wanna come and check me-it out? We don’t stay late in case you’re worried about curfew or anything. I’d really like to see you there.” Chanyeol opened his eyes wide in hope. It wasn’t her type of thing but it was also so hard to say no.

 

“Uhm, yeah sure. I can go.”She answered. She would just drag Luhan with her. Krystal didn’t like those type of events either, so she wouldn’t even bother her by asking.

 

“I’m so happy!! Actually, did you want to go to the library? My class isn’t until the afternoon. We can hang out and gather some stuff.” He asked.

 

She hadn’t been to the library in a good two weeks. She wasn’t avoiding it per say...well maybe she was. Just like that, she and Mr. Byun had become strangers again.

 

But, maybe if she was with someone, the atmosphere would be less tense.

“Okay. We can go.”

 

“Cool.” Chanyeol wrapped his arm around her shoulders, leading them towards the library.

 

She wondered if he was always this touchy of a person. She didn’t mind skinship, but she wasn’t sure about doing it with Chanyeol.

 

He had always given off the impression he was a playboy. This wasn’t helping his case honestly.

 

“Don’t worry. I’m far from the bad things you’ve imagined or heard. You can rest easy with me.” As if sensing her discomfort, Chanyeol lets go of her shoulders and ruffles her hair instead. His words hold a bit of sincerity. It doesn’t matter anyways. Her heart is in a strange battle between liking Mr. Byun and disliking him.

 

“Hey Chanyeol? Can I ask you a purely hypothetical question?” She decides to ask. He doesn’t seem very judgemental. If anything, he’s pretty open minded.

 

“Yeah, shoot.”

 

“I- If...Say that you wrote a note to someone inviting them somewhere, but you slid it under their door because they weren’t available at the time. Would you say them not showing up to the place you invited them to is a clear sign of rejection?” Her inquisitive eyes bore into Chanyeol’s. So cute, like a bunny.

 

“Hmm.. I wouldn’t say it’s a clear sign. Many things could have gone wrong in this scenario. The person could have not seen it. They could have not even opened it thinking it was trash and thrown it. Someone could have gotten to it before them. The possibilities are endless. Sliding a note isn’t a full proof plan like just asking someone is.” Chanyeol explained.

 

“I understand.” He did have a point. Maybe there was hope in thinking he didn’t get a chance to see it?

 

Chanyeol wanted to ask her further, but didn’t want to seem nosy or pushy. And they had reached the library entrance anyhow.

 

“You get a table. I’m going to sign us in so we can use the computers.” He told her.

 

Her heart was racing. She wasn’t sure if it was doing so in nervousness or because Mr. Byun was sitting behind the desk as handsome as ever.

 

“Yah, are you listening?” Chanyeol pinched her cheeks, just as Mr. Byun made eye contact.

Flustered, she moved away from him and sped walked to a table in the far corner. She dug into her backpack, taking out her notebook to distract herself from staring at him.

 

..

 

He was calling her name. How she missed that voice.

 

“Hey, I signed us in! Whoa, your face...are you getting sick?” Chanyeol had came back, his hand resting against her forehead.

 

Before she could answer, Mr. Byun called out again from his desk.

 

“No PDA allowed. Keep your hands to yourselves.” Chanyeol snickered, dragging his fingers slowly along the curve of her cheek reaching her jaw bone until his hand came to rest under her chin, holding it gently.

 

“C-cha-”

 

“Young man. If you can’t follow the rules, I’ll have no choice but to kick you out.” Not surprisingly, Mr. Byun’s deep and strong tone of voice made shivers run down her spine whereas Chanyeol’s teasing touch did nothing short of confuse her.

 

She wasn’t attracted to Mr. Byun just because he was handsome. That would be vain. No. He was so interesting. In the time she spent hanging out in the library, they had become somewhat acquaintances or so she assumed. He was well educated, obviously, but his manner of speech was riveting. The way he took time to ponder a question and construct his sentences and the topics he could carry conversations about was charismatic. He provoked the inner fires hidden in her soul. Like a shot of whiskey, he warmed her up. He was a complete enigma that she wouldn’t mind unraveling.

 

She hated him for awakening these types of feelings in her. It annoyed her how love sick she was beginning to sound.

 

“Alright. Hands to myself, got it.” Chanyeol finally relented, not wanting to get kicked out. He took his seat next to her.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter