First Tastes

The Runaway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol and Jongin were driven back from the bank by one of the royal family’s drivers. Thankfully, the bank manager had no questions regarding Chanyeol’s withdrawal – he was the prince, after all. The two best friends were silent all throughout their ride back to the Palace, afraid that they would accidentally disclose information to the driver if they uttered even one word to each other.

 

When they arrived at Chanyeol’s ‘house’ in the palace, the two immediately went into packing their essentials in their respective rooms (Jongin had a room for himself in Chanyeol’s house as security detail). Chanyeol was busy putting in clothes to their luggages went Chanyeol’s door suddenly opened.

 

“The are you doing?” Yeri asked, confused. “Where are you going?”

 

“Oh, it’s you,” Chanyeol breathed a sigh of relief. “I should be the one asking you why you’re in my part of the palace—”

 

“Oh ,” Yeri said excitedly. “Oh !”

 

“What?” Chanyeol now became the one confused.

 

“You’re taking my advice, aren’t you?” She asked teasingly.

 

“I am,” Chanyeol smiled. “Promise me you won’t tell our—”

 

“Of course I won’t,” Yeri scoffed. “But can you please tell me at least where you’re going? So that I know where to visit you in case? And how will I contact you? When are you going?”

 

Chanyeol smiled at his sister. They might always cuss at each other and playfully fight, but they truly had a good sibling relationship.

 

“I’m going tonight. Anyway, I know your number like the back of my hand,” Chanyeol said. “I’m leaving my phones here. I promise I’ll find a way to contact you,” he grinned. “I owe all of this to you. And Jongin.”

 

“I’m jealous, I wanna go with!” Yeri pouted.

 

“Maybe graduate from uni first then we’ll talk,” Chanyeol chuckled. He walked to where Yeri was and gave her a huge hug. “Thank you, Yeri,” he said. “I mean it.”

 

“I know,” Yeri sighed. “Just promise me you’ll find your happiness there.”

 

“I’ll try,” Chanyeol grinned and Yeri smiled back.

 

“I’ll leave now, and I’ll probably visit you, okay? Need some fresh air, too,” Yeri said as she exited her brother’s room.

 

“Whatever you say,” Chanyeol exclaimed before Yeri shut the door.

 

Chanyeol and Jongin quickly finished packing, used to the frequent traveling the Prince had to do all over the country and abroad. The two quietly slipped away from the workers in the palace and hopped onto Chanyeol’s personal car – the one he bought with his own money and didn’t allow anyone else to drive (except Jongin). They made their way to the international airport and waited for Kim Junmyeon, the airline’s CEO and Chanyeol’s friend, to meet them by the parking area.

 

A knock on the door startled the two – they were scared of getting caught by anyone. Jongin didn’t even tell his own father that he was following Chanyeol – it was a given, anyway, that he’ll follow him anywhere with his job being security and all. Junmyeon waved from outside Chanyeol’s car, and Jongin and Chanyeol made their way out and got their stuff.

 

“I owe you,” Chanyeol said to Junmyeon quietly.

 

“No, I owe you,” Junmyeon politely smiled to his friend.

 

“You do know there’s no way I’m marrying Hyerin, right?” Chanyeol chuckled. “I can’t do it. Feel like I’m marrying my sister,” Chanyeol said in disgust.

 

“I know, but still,” Junmyeon replied. “You’re the prince” he smiled. “I was confused when you called me last night… and I know you’re mostly doing this for yourself, but still, thanks.”

 

“Dude, you’re one of my closest friends,” Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “Of course. It’s nothing. Don’t mention it. I’m the one who should be thanking you right now.”

 

“This is nothing compared to what you’re doing, trust me,” Junmyeon chuckled. “Let’s get you to the plane.” Jongin and Chanyeol followed Junmyeon and made their way straight to the runway, and Junmyeon personally assisted them to the first class area of the plane.

 

“I advise you wear your mask and cap all throughout the plane ride,” Junmyeon said. “Our flight attendants have no idea. I gathered it would be better, and I know you’re good with disguises. Even you, Jongin,” Junmyeon laughed.

 

“What? Why me?” Jongin asked.

 

“Dude, you have your own fansites,” Junmyeon chuckled and patted him on the back. “Anyway, I’ll be off. Thank you, both of you. Chanyeol. Good luck.” Chanyeol went and hugged his friend and thanked him for his help.

 

The two sat in their wide seats and tried to relax. While they didn’t get the connecting flights they wanted – they were flying on a direct flight instead – they expected Kim Minseok, whom Chanyeol contacted right after he called Junmyeon the night before, to help them out when they get to LAX.

 

It was a 12 to 13-hour flight, and while Chanyeol did want to get some sleep in, he just couldn’t. Thankfully, they had Zootopia and Deadpool on their movie list and went on a movie marathon until his eyes gave up and sleep finally found him.

 

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Los Angeles International Airport. Local time is 9:15 p.m., and the temperature is 21C. For your safety and comfort, please remain seated with your seatbelt fastened until the Captain…”

 

Chanyeol gulped. This was it. Minseok told him that he would fetch him from the plane himself, and if the guy didn’t show up, Chanyeol was downright ed. The flight attendants offered to let them off the plane first, but the two politely refused. After a few minutes of waiting, Minseok arrived and approached Chanyeol.

 

“You ers, it’s been a long time!” Minseok laughed as he hugged his close childhood friends he hasn’t seen in years. Minseok was the son of an ambassador the King was close to, and naturally, Chanyeol spent his childhood with him and Jongin, with the three roaming around the palance grounds as kids, until Minseok decided to go abroad for college. “Finally deciding to live your life?” he joked.

 

“Please, lead the way,” Chanyeol said, laughing. “You don’t know how relieved I am to see you.”

 

“What more for me? When you told me your plan, I was almost sure you were going to get caught at Incheon, even before you got here,” Minseok said as they walked their way through the backdoors of LAX.

 

“Oh, you and me both,” Jongin admitted. “Chanyeol is here out of his mind.”

 

“Out of his mind? Nah,” Minseok chuckled. “I think he’s finally coming to his senses. A bit late, but. About ing time.”

 

“You’ve always been such a bad influence,” Jongin replied in jest.

 

“But what will you guys do?” Minseok asked. “I want to assist you—”

 

“Minseok. Please. I know you’re busy at the embassy,” Chanyeol said. “This is enough, really. Seeing you after such a long time is enough. Not to mention helping me out with this… thank you.”

 

“It’s nothing compared to what you did for me,” Minseok said, remembering when he was applying for colleges and universities. He wanted to pursue diplomacy and international relations, and his parents were strictly against it – Do you not even see how much our family sacrificed just for diplomacy? How we robbed you of your childhood? Minseok’s parents had so much concern for him, but he insisted. He loved traveling, he loved learning new languages, he loved being passive aggressive with foreigners. It was perfect. Chanyeol helped him to convince his parents to let him study abroad, and his parents finally agreed. It was the Prince. How could they resist?

 

“And I found an apartment already,” Jongin snapped them back to the present.

 

“You did?!” Chanyeol asked, flabbergasted.

 

“Of course,” Jongin answered. “It’s my job. And I’m paranoid. It’s pretty secure; it’s in a good neighborhood; and it’s nice. We’ll just have to pay our rent for like a year up front later.”

 

“A year?” Chanyeol’s eyebrows shot up.

 

“I know you better than you know yourself. It’s going to be a year,” Jongin sighed. “And those were the deposit terms.”

 

“Ah,” Chanyeol smirked to himself. He did want to stay up to a year, but no way did Jongin think that far.

 

The three finally arrived at the taxi stands, and Minseok bid them goodbye.

 

“Good luck to you two doofuses. If you need anything—” The two cut Minseok off before they swept Minseok into one big group hug – the same way they did when they were children.

 

“, you’re gonna make me ing cry,” Minseok laughed. “I’m actually transferring to Prague next month.”

 

“Damn, that’s soon… But at least we know where to go next if ever,” Chanyeol grinned.

 

“Alright, alright,” Minseok smiled at the two. “Just make sure you actually do what you want, okay? You too, Jongin.”

 

“We will, promise,” Jongin smiled before they hopped onto the taxi.

 

 

The two finally arrived at their destination – Chanyeol was expecting an apartment, but apparently, Jongin rented an entire house. Granted, it look small and modern from the outside, but still. Chanyeol only had limited money.

 

“Let’s go,” Jongin led the way.

 

“Wait, how the will I be able to afford this?!” Chanyeol asked nervously, raising his voice slightly.

 

“I already paid for it,” Jongin laughed. “It costed a dollar for a year.”

 

“What the ?! Is this some mafia ?” Chanyeol continued, still confused.

 

“Minseok owns this, ,” Jongin rolled his eyes. “He started moving out last month to a smaller apartment since he’s moving to Prague. I guess you chose the perfect time to run away.”

 

“I owe Minseok too much,” Chanyeol said as Jongin entered the house. Jongin then handed the keys to Chanyeol.

 

“All yours,” Jongin said. Chanyeol looked around the house – which basically looked like a bachelor pad. It was too small to call a ‘house’ per se, but too large to say it’s just another regular apartment. The walls were made of brick and concrete, with wooden floors. To the left of the entrance was a small kitchen and bar, and the living room – complete with a flat screen TV and a sleek dark couch. The house only had a ‘partial’ second floor – it only covered the kitchen, and not the living room. Going up the black wooden staircase, Chanyeol saw only one king-sized bed and another door leading to the bathroom.

 

“You’re not staying here?!” Chanyeol asked.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter