Pressure

The Runaway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

DISPATCH.co.kr : Trending News

 

SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA – Friends, family, and the richest of South Korea are gathered at the Grand Korean Palace Complex of the royal family to celebrate the 27thbirthday of the heir to the throne, Park Chanyeol. Prince Chanyeol, the first son, is expected to be betrothed within the year, with multiple names from Korea’s Old Rich and other chaebol heiresses floating about rumored to be his wife. Prince Chanyeol graduated from the Seoul National University with a double degree on Economics and Development Studies, took his masters from the London School of Economics and is now currently working with his father, King Park Sungwoo in crafting policy papers for the national government and assisting her mother Queen Park Yejin in her advocacies in the Royal foundation. Stay tuned for more updates on the Prince’s celebration and the bachelor prince’s love life!

 

“I’m so proud of you,” Yejin said as she hugged her only son, the heir to the throne, Park Chanyeol. “Happy birthday, Chanyeol.”

 

The royal family members were gathered in the living room of the main palace, where the King and Queen resided. Traditional Korean architecture from the Joseon dynasty lived on in these walls, and the national government and its citizenry fought to preserve and maintain the monarchy and its architectural heritage as part of their culture and history. While the monarchs were no longer in power – the country voted for its own government – the Korean royal family still wields large influence in the country. The Korean people loved the royal family – they were a symbol of strength and tradition in rapid changing times. In addition, the royal family always listened to the woes of the nation’s poor, advocating for better working conditions, wages, and equality, among other advocacies.

 

“Thank you, mom,” Chanyeol smiled in reply.

 

“Happy birthday, son,” the King Park Sungwoo, usually stoic, came forward to hug his son as he greeted him.

 

“Dad, thank you,” Chanyeol said, returning his father’s hug.

 

“You’re 27 now,” his dad said. “You know what that means, right?”

 

Chanyeol loved and appreciated his parents for everything he’s received in life – he graduated from the best university in Korea and studied briefly abroad to take his masters. He knew how lucky he was, but at the same time, he knew his responsibility to the country. Their family was a symbol. He knew where his parents were going with ‘what it meant’ for him to be 27.

 

“You’re almost 30, Chanyeol,” the Queen sighed. “And we still have no betrothal!”

 

“Mom—”

 

“Silence,” the King interrupted sternly. “This party is for you. It’s for the country. It’s modest, and we’ve already arranged everything.”

 

“What your dad meant is that we already talked to the Lee family,” Queen Yejin supplied. “You know Hyerin. It will be a great match. Everything’s been arranged. You can get married next year.”

 

“Mom, Hyerin and I are friends, and I told you, I don’t want to get married yet,” Chanyeol rolled his eyes.

 

“You will not act like that in front of your mother!” King Sungwoo answered loudly. “And certainly not in front of the press. No more questions, no more delays, and no more complaints. You’ve delayed long enough. You will get married to Hyerin next year, and that’s that.”

 

“Can you all just relax? It’s his birthday,” the Princess, Park Yeri, suddenly interrupted. “Happy birthday, big brother,” she grinned. Chanyeol breathed a sigh of relief and grinned back at his only sibling.

 

“Thank you, as always,” he whispered to his sister’s ear, as he hugged her tightly.

 

“Okay, okay, that’s enough sibling love, I’m suffocating!” Yeri laughed as she got out of her brother’s bear hug. “Anyway, as I was saying,” she continued. “It’s my brother’s birthday, so can you two please just relax? And just let him be happy for like five seconds?”

 

“Yeri—” Queen Yejin tried to reply but was interrupted by the King.

 

“Yeri, we’re doing this for the country. Your brother knows this,” King Sungwoo said. Chanyeol continued to stand in front of his parents, shaking with anger.

 

“Don’t fume,” Yeri whispered to his brother. “It isn’t worth it.”

 

“Let’s just go to the dinner, mother, father, please,” Chanyeol sighed. Yeri was right. It isn’t worth it.

 

“Fine,” Queen Yejin surrendered. “But Hyerin will accompany you when you enter.”

 

“Mother—”

 

“No questions, no delays, no complaints,” Queen Yejin repeated her husband’s words earlier.

 

No questions, no delays, no complaints. Chanyeol scoffed. But wasn’t that the story of his whole life?

 

 

Chanyeol sighed as he adjusted his tux in his huge bedroom – way to feel suffocated physically and figuratively. He was alone and felt alone in his huge bedroom, designed to feel both “modern” and still Korean – retaining the themes of wood, clay, and water, but updated to fit Chanyeol’s more modern tastes.

 

All his life, Chanyeol listened to his parents. He wanted to take up music in college? No. Economics. What about a double degree, so I could study music? Or film if you don’t like music?No. International Development. He had no qualms taking those degrees – he was quite competent at math, anyway, and hedid want to study development too – it was his other passion, aside from music and the arts, to help the marginalized from less developed countries, something he shared with his mother and sister.

 

No questions, no delays, no complaints.

 

Interfering with his personal life was not a new thing for him. He’s had three serious girlfriends in the past – all from pretty rich families (how would he even meet commoners with the way he was raised and the way he’s being protected now), but his parents thought they were just flings. It will pass. Well, they were right to a point – he can’t really say that what he felt for those girls were true love – the love he saw between his grandparents, and yes, even between his parents (no matter how strict they were to their children, the love they had for each other was undeniable). His parents always argued that they were betrothed to each other, and it worked out for them. They expected that Chanyeol would be the same.

 

“You’ve been fixing that bow tie for like fifteen minutes now,” Jongin, Chanyeol’s personal security guard and childhood friend. Jongin is also the son of the King’s bodyguard and head of security, which was how Chanyeol and Jongin met. Jongin grew up in one of the numerous staff houses located within the Palace Complex. Despite the difference in societal stature, the two quickly became best friends and wouldn’t be separated ever since – especially now that Jongin is working for the Royal Guard to protect Chanyeol from any threat – imagined or real.

 

“Just thinking,” Chanyeol sighed. “I think they’re going to announce it in a few months. The engagement, I mean.”

 

“With Hyerin?”

 

“Yep,” Chanyeol replied as he combed through his hair with his hand.

 

“Sheesh,” Jongin clicked his tongue. “Thought they were gonna let you free now.”

 

“That would never happen,” Chanyeol laughed bitterly.

 

“Anyway, I came in because everyone’s already at the banquet, and we don’t want news saying the prince is a spoiled brat who doesn’t follow the rules of time and proper etiquette—”

 

“Yeah, got it,” Chanyeol rolled his eyes at his best friend.

 

The two hopped into the limousine waiting for the prince, and the driver took them to one of the halls of the palace. Outside, Hyerin was already waiting for him.

 

“Happy birthday,” Hyerin smiled at Chanyeol. “Still forcing you, eh?”

 

“Thanks, and yes,” Chanyeol smiled in return.

 

“I just wish they would stop,” Hyerin sighed. “I should just tell them about—”

 

“No, don’t,” Chanyeol stopped her. “Let’s just get through this one party and I promise we’ll get out of this.”

 

“Please do,” Hyerin was joking, but Chanyeol knew she was dead serious. He’s known her since high school, and he knew her situation. He didn’t want to get married to someone he didn’t love – and so did she. It was a win-win if it were just exclusively up to the to of them, but it’s a lose-lose when their parents were involved. Chanyeol had to find a way.

 

The two entered the hall side by side (with Jongin following some steps behind the Prince), refusing to hold each other’s hand or even give the slightest hint that they wanted to be anywhere near e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter