Chap 3

Curious

Seulgi offered to clean the dishes as they cleared Seungwan's bedroom to make space for them. Seungwan only owns a king sized bed in the tight space, so there clearly isn't enough room for them. In the past, 3 of them would squeeze on Seungwan's bed while she slept on the couch. She often sacrificed herself or went out of the way to make sure her friends or even the people around her feel comfortable under her care. It's a positive trait that makes her so likeable everywhere she goes. Despite receiving compliments about it, she would still remain humble as what her parents already taught her from a young age.

 

Seulgi comes back from the kitchen, wiping off her wet hands on Seungwan's back casually. They gathered around on the floor of the living room, even though the sofa could fit them all. Girl talks are much better when they're comfortable in their pyjamas, with legs sprawling on the floor and arms hugging whatever plushie they brought from their homes. Seungwan takes her speaker to set it on the floor as she plays calm, soft instrumentals for the night. Joohyun checks her phone to see if there's any important calls or messages, before she chucks it away for her friends. 

 

"Are you sure you want to sleep on the sofa? I can sleep there, since it's your bed after all." Sooyoung nudges her as she fills their glasses with soju. Only a few bottles were brought by the tallest girl among them, which wasn't too much to make them drunk, but just sufficient enough to open their hearts out. 

 

"Yeah. Why not? Your legs are too long for my couch anyway." She snickers at the girl who rolled her eyes. Besides, Seungwan wasn't sure if she wants to sleep on the same bed with girls. The mere thought of it makes her uncomfortable especially when she knows her friends like cuddling each other, a norm that she could never get used to here. She simply excuses herself during sleepovers that she would prefer sleeping alone because she 'will kick people and wake up with her feet on the pillows instead'.

 

"Seulgi has something to tell us!" Sooyoung shoots the girl a knowing grin. 

 

"What?! No..."

 

"Eishhhh. Come on, let's have a drink to warm her up!" Seungwan claims as they clinked their glasses together. 

 

"Well..... There's this guy in my workplace. We're already pretty close as friends so we'll get drinks together every now and then with the rest of our colleagues. He'll offer to give me a ride home every single time, and sometimes when I feel cold, he'll pass me his coat and gesture me to wear it. He'll also get me some snacks whenever I'm working late and even offers to pack dinner for me so we can eat together in the office. So......."

 

"Oh- Are you talking about me?" Seungwan adds innocently to lighten up the mood, as they burst out into laughter at her sudden interference.

 

"Go away, Wan! I'm serious here!"

 

"Does he only do that to you? What about your other colleagues?"

 

"I only noticed he did them for me. But he's really a friendly guy in general, so I wouldn't have known if he also treats others the same......"

 

"Office relationships can be a little difficult, Seulgi."

 

"We're not really from the same department. My department is actually pretty close to the pantry, so you can say that my team knows almost everyone."

 

"Oh- looks like someone has been thinking about it for a while. I'll wait for your good news, Seulgi." Joohyun finally chimes in the conversation.

 

"And soon we'll be able to go for double dates together!!" Sooyoung sounds more excited than usual, probably due to the effect of alcohol. Sooyoung is already in a loving relationship with her boyfriend since high school, so she's often the go-to relationship guru whenever they're having boy troubles. It can be pretty tough to relate sometimes when they seek for dating advices and Sooyoung has literally been in one relationship throughout her entire life. She just shoves her life motto of 'JUST GO FOR IT' everytime they're contemplating on accepting dates. 

 

"So how about our Wannie?"  With an exception of Seungwan who always seems to quiet down whenever they talk about guys. 

 

"Me? As usual. Forever alone I guess. Who wants to be with a freak like me?" She lets out an exaggerated sob. 

 

"Have you ever been in a relationship before?" Sooyoung asks, causing the rest to focus their eyes on the girl who looks like she was a deer caught in headlights. 

 

"Of course I did!" She shifts a little from her seat as the girls pester her with tons of questions. She gulps down a shot of soju before telling them about her 'partner' during prom. She stutters with her words a little as she tells them the gender neutral version of how she had lots of crushes back then in Canada, and actually fell in love with someone and confessed her feelings, but the person couldn't accept it and it made their dynamic awkward. You could say that she had a terrible relationship with her prom partner, almost got into another serious relationship, and multiple other high school crushes. Her voice suddenly cracks from talking too long as the alcohol makes dry up, and she looks at her friends only to receive sympathetic stares from them. It doesn't help that the song currently playing sounds too emotional for the room which makes her look like she's longing for a relationship. She receives pats on the back from them as she denies being emotional and blames it on the alcohol instead. 

 

"Stoooooopppppp. It's not like that!! I'm happy now guys! Since I have you~~~ Why am I getting all the attention? What about this girl here who should be today's spotlight?" Mouthing sorry towards the older girl who frowns at her, she could finally sit back and relax again. Relieved that she didn't turn into a mess, she tells herself that she's getting better at pretending to be straight and rewards herself with another mouthful of soju as she feels it burn . 


Joohyun looks down as she repeats the story for them yet again, this time with a little more details. It wasn't his fault, but she finds herself slowly falling out of love as they continue with the relationship. She simply couldn't look at him in the same manner again.

 

She takes few glances at Seungwan for assurance as she continues to talk her heart out. There was just something lacking in the relationship, she thought she was just overthinking before she accepted him, but she realised the problem only got bigger. She tried to shove off her worries because she knew his feelings for her were genuine. Guilt enveloped her as he casually talked about marrying her someday in the future, and she just couldn't picture her life as his partner. She knew he loved her more than she ever did, so she decided to break it off after so long. She tells him she's being unfair, and wants him to find someone that would reciprocate his feelings and loves him as much as he does. Seungwan looks away and fiddles with her glass after hearing the last sentence. 

 

Find someone who loves you as much as you love them too.

 

----------

 

Sooyoung gets up from turning and tossing on the bed. She feels exhausted from the night, so she couldn't understand why she she wasn't able to fall asleep. 3:13am. Great. Glancing at the other 2 who were cuddling in their deep sleep, she closes the door and heads to the sofa to check on the other girl. Widening her eyes in surprise as she sees the girl just lying down playing with her phone, she walks over and gestures the girl to give her a seat. 

 

"How come you're still awake?"

 

"I can't sleep. I should ask you the same, what are YOU doing with your phone at this hour? Watching something?" She nudges the girl and smirks at her before being pushed a little too hard by her. Seungwan mouths a big NO to her so she doesn't wake the entire house as the taller girl laughs at her response. 

 

"So... I have something to ask you." Sooyoung looks at her with a serious gaze. She wonders what the girl was up to and puts aside her phone, sitting upright properly to answer whatever she wants to ask. "Yeah?"

 

"You said you confessed to someone before from your high school, right? Why do you think didn't the person accept it?" Seungwan takes a moment to think a while before answering it. She doesn't want to reveal too much, in case she accidentally slips out something. 

 

"Uhh.. I d-don't know. Maybe it's because nobody could have accepted it s-so... we can't be together?"

 

"Why not?" She creases her eyebrows at the slightly flustered girl before throwing her into surprise, "Was it a guy or a girl?"

 

"What?"

 

"Did you confess to a guy? Or was it a girl?"

 

Seungwan stiffened up at the realization of the question. She wanted to run from the situation but she couldn't escape the girl who kept her eyes fixed on her. She inhales to say something, but words couldn't seem to come out from . She thought she was doing fine all these years, until now. Sooyoung just threw her right off the bat and she wasn't ready for something like this. She thought the girl would already know by the look of her face. Seungwan gulps and looks down at her fingers. 

 

How did she know? Did I say something earlier? It couldn't be. What did I do? Did I stare too long at the girl the other day? Did she notice my behaviour? But I didn't mention anything about girls!  


 

The taller girl breaks her train of thoughts, a little careful with what she's going to tell the girl who seems to be nervous. "Seungwan. It's okay. You don't have to tell me if you're not ready. I'm sorry for making you uncomfortable."

 

"No you didn't. I'm fine!" 

 

"I just want to let you know that whatever happens, you are still my friend and nothing will change that. You have my full support."

 

"Sooyoung..." She tries to speak further but was interrupted by Sooyoung instead. 

 

"I'm happy at whatever makes you happy, Wan. I'll always be here for you and you know it. I really hope you can find your true happiness someday. I hope I don't sound a little too sappy, but really, I'm serious."

 

Sooyoung smiles at her assuringly, her hand tapping the other girl's shoulder. The brown haired girl now has frowns on her face, remaining motionless at the contact. She tries to gather her thoughts but it doesn't seem to work, especially at that time and after they had drinks. She wants to know how did her friend find out about her. What about Seulgi and.. Joohyun? Do they know? How would they react when they know? What am I supposed to do? Will they hate me? Will they think I'm weird? What if they can't accept it? What's going to happen to us? 

 

"Seungwan." The girl calls her name softly, expecting a reaction from her but all she got was a stiff Seungwan with eyes wandering everywhere in the room, as if having lots of thoughts.

 

"Are you okay?"

 

"Can I hug you?"

 

"Su- Oof!" Sooyoung coughs lightly at her sudden action, she rubs her back as she hears the girl silently whispering "thank you"s to her. Seungwan was comfortable living in the closet all this while. She doesn't have to bother about what people think about her, she just has to pretend that no one was interested in her and she's also interested in no one, so she doesn't have to date guys that didn't attract her. She was comfortable with being around people that like her, instead of judging her for who she is. Suddenly, someone's knocking on her closet and she doesn't feel comfortable at the slightest bit, she doesn't want to be living in unwanted attention. 

 

"I'm scared." Sooyoung shifts a little from her tight grip. She hears soft sniffling sounds from the girl, she wanted to turn around to comfort her but she decided to let the girl continue instead after thinking twice. 

 

"Don't be, honey. I'm here for you. It's going to be alright." She feels her shirt getting a little wet from her tears. 

 

"No, it's not. What are the others going to think of me? What am I going to do once they find out as well?" 

 

"Seungwan." She finally pulls the shorter girl from the embrace. "If you're talking about the other 2 girls who are snoring in your bed right now, no they do not know. And they would not know unless you tell them. If you decide to tell them too one day, no, they would not leave you. Come on, Wan. Who do you think we are? Even if they decide to be no longer friends with you, rest be assured that I am still here, and I won't change my mind. But you don't have to worry about it because I know them. And I know they will accept you if you decide to not hide it anymore."

 

Seungwan looks at her with a questioning look, with more tears pooling at her eyes. "Really?" She mouths at the taller girl, receiving only a nod from her as she covers her face, silently sobbing in front of the girl. 

 

"Why are you doing this to meee?" The shorter girl asks in an exaggerated tone as she laughs while wiping her tears. 

 

"Because I love you soooo~~" She coos at the girl who was slowly getting back to her usual self, the girl who always had a smile on her face.

 

------------

 

Seulgi stirs from her sleep as she heard muffled noises from the living room. She glances at the others who were on the bed, only to realize Sooyoung wasn't in the room and Joohyun on the other hand, was sleeping soundly beside her. She slowly removes Joohyun's arm from her and slips out of the bed, opening the door slightly.

 

"Did you confess to a guy? Or was it a girl?"

 

She freezes immediately and stops behind the door. Her hands automatically went up to cover , acting as though they could hear her.

 

She heard it all. She heard everything. She glances at the other girl to see if she notices as well but all she could hear was light snoring from the girl. She wanted to run up to the sobbing girl and comfort her best friend, but decided against it. Gathering her thoughts, she closes the door and goes back into bed. She wants her best friend to be comfortable around them, and disclose it herself. Putting pressure on her isn't going make her feel better, so she silently wishes that Seungwan finds her bundle of happiness in her life.