Chap 9

Curious

Joohyun was lying down on her bed, humming to her playlist of favourite songs when she heard the doorbell ringing.

 

"Pizza?" A shorter figure can be seen with her head hidden behind the plastic bag of food. She smiles as she peeks from the bag, revealing her face at the older girl who opened the door for her.

 

Joohyun feels glad that Seungwan kept her promise after all. She didn't keep her hopes up even though the younger girl was the one who initiated it. She didn't want to be the reason why Seungwan was avoiding keeping in touch with them. She didn't want to lose her best friend. She didn't want her best friend to shut down on her. She didn't want to lose someone who means so much to her. She didn't want to lose someone who means so much to her...

 

"Come in." Joohyun replies back at her with a sweet smile, hidden with mixed emotions, as if afraid of something.

 

They settled themselves in her small kitchen, eating while standing due to Joohyun's lack of furnitures in her studio. They normally meet up at Seungwan's, so she couldn't find any reason to purchase more furnitures to complete her studio anyway. Especially not when she's no longer in a relationship. They munched on their pizzas, taking glances at each other as the younger girl starts the conversation by talking about their work today. It was as if both of them pretended nothing happened between them previously, but there was still a slight tension between them in the air, and neither of them wants to go into it first. 

 

"So, how are you? Did the list of males-getting-dissappointed-by-Goddess-Bae grew bigger while I was gone?" Seungwan asks this time, attempting to lighten the mood by averting back to her usual self, the sarcastic yet greasy Seungwan that Joohyun always remembers. The latter loves this side of her, even though the younger girl can get a little too cheesy sometimes, but she always finds it entertaining. She finds the girl's sense quirky, as Seungwan always finds a way to touch people's hearts somehow. 

 

"Stop it, Seungwan. I can say the same for you after today's luncheon." Joohyun chuckles, taking the last bite of the remaining pizza. She cleans up the boxes, signalling the other girl to continue their conversation in her bedroom. Seungwan wonders if she made the right decision to gather in Joohyun's house instead of hers, because now they have to move to her bedroom, and she could practically smell the tension in the air. Joohyun guides the younger girl into her bedroom with hands intertwining with each other, just like what she's always done.

 

They sat side by side on Joohyun's bed as they leaned against the headboard. Joohyun reaches out to play with Seungwan's fingers again as she lies on her shoulders. Warmth enveloping themselves as they've missed being with each other. 

 

"I really missed you, Seungwan." She shifts slightly on Seungwan's shoulders, frowning at how she didn't realize how thin the younger girl became, with her shoulders being more bony compared to how she has always remembered. Seungwan doesn't reply, looking down at their hands instead. More like she doesn't know what to say, since she's the one avoiding them as much as she could. She feels guilty as she suddenly realizes how selfish she was, only thinking about herself and didn't even bother to think about what her friends would've thought of her and how worried they must've been. She doesn't know if what she did was the right thing. She needed time to think. She had always told people that they shouldn't bottle up their emotions and here she was, being a hypocrite. 

 

"Seungwan?" Joohyun asks with a more serious tone that concerns Seungwan. The younger girl feels her shoulders being light from the sudden absence. She knows they'll eventually have to talk about it, but she still wasn't prepared for it. She was never prepared for this topic to begin with, especially when she has done something that she shouldn't. Moreso with Joohyun.

 

"Oh?" She tries her best to not make her voice shake, but fails to do so and only hope that the older girl doesn't realize it. They finally look at each other this time, although Seungwan reverts back her gaze to the front again beause she's not sure if she can control herself again.

 

"Can we talk about what happened between us?" Joohyun maintains her gaze at the younger girl who refuses to look at her. 

 

"O-Only if you want to." 

 

Joohyun sighs, brushing her hair as she shifts to find a more comfortable position on the bed, finally letting go of the younger girl's hands.

 

"I've been thinking about it a lot."

 

"Do you like me, Seungwan?"

 

"As more than just a best friend?" 

 

Joohyun wants the younger girl to open up about her feelings. She already knows the answer to her question. But she wants the girl to tell her herself, instead of just beating around the bush. She wants Seungwan to be more brave, she wants her to have more confidence in herself, instead of just hiding and playing pretend. Most importantly, she wants to know how Seungwan feels about her.

 

"I don't know." The older girl patiently waits for her to continue. 

 

"The thing is, I've always liked girls, Hyun. I knew about myself since high school in Canada. I came to Korea, hoping to leave the past behind, and I did. Remember when we were having a sleepover in my house and Sooyoung asked if I've even been in a relationship before? I didn't know how she found out about me, but she asked me later that night, and I just told Sooyoung about it, so she knows. Then you broke up with Daehoon, and became more affectionate and touchy in general. I don't know about the rest of our friends, but I'm certainly the one who felt the most impact from it." She chuckles at her last sentence, before continuing further.

 

"I know you've always been really touchy, but your actions made me so confused, Hyun. Especially when you're only doing this to me, and I never see you doing the same towards Seulgi or Sooyoung. My mind was so messed up. It's been so long since I've felt this way, this kind of affection, the sense of belonging from someone. You made me feel so loved, and it just pushes me into a state of panic, because I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to feel this way. We're best friends, Joohyun. All four of us.. since I came to Korea. I don't want to ruin our friendship. I don't want to lose the bond that we've built after so many years.. just because of my foolish actions."

 

"So.. I'm so sorry for what I've done that day, Hyun. I know it probably wouldn't be the same between us, but I hope you can forget it. And I will too, as well. I understand if you can't accept me. It's not something that everyone can accept, so..I will respect your decision. Even if you don't want to see me anymore, or even talk to me, I understand. I'll do whatever it takes as long as you're happy, and as long as Sooyoung and Seulgi are happy. Even if it means I don't get to see all of you often, as long as it makes everyone happy."

 

Seungwan smiles bitterly as her heart starts racing. That's it, she's done it. She's said everything she wants to say, and it's now up to Joohyun. A part of her feels like running away from the room immediately, but another part of her wants to hear from Joohyun. She mentally prepares herself, because she's sure Joohyun didn't feel the same way towards her, and she's just imagining and overthinking by herself.

 

"I guess it's my fault after all." Joohyun replies, disrupting her train of thoughts. The younger girl turns to look at her, a little surprised at her statement. 

 

"I didn't realize how my actions made you so uncomfortable. I'm so sorry for that, Seungwan. It just felt so natural for me, it's like I did everything without even thinking. I honestly didn't know you were into girls, and I didn't even know that this kind of feeling.. between girls would even exist.. until you kissed me that day."

 

"It somehow feels... right. And it felt so different compared to my past experiences. I couldn't stop myself. I was so into it as well, and I didn't want to stop you. But it felt so overwhelming. I felt all kinds of emotions when you captivated me, and I was scared at first."

 

"I thought about it for nights, and I realized that I actually enjoyed it more than what I've had before. Needless to say, you've been all over my mind for countless nights."

 

"How can you ask me to forget about it?"

 

"Stop blaming everything on yourself, Wan. You deserve more than what you think you should."

 

Joohyun finally looks at her, as they stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity for the both of them. The younger girl was speechless. What do I even deserve?

 

She never would've thought Joohyun would reciprocate her feelings. She didn't plan for this alternative ending in mind. She'd always pictured it to be one of them having their hearts broken, and it would most probably be hers since she was so sure Joohyun wouldn't accept her. When the older girl confessed, she wasn't sure how to feel about it anymore. Is she supposed to feel happy about it? Should she feel glad? Should she be worried about them? What would others think?

 

"Seungwan, can I kiss you?" Her heart skips a beat at Joohyun's question, closing her eyes as she feels the older girl leaning closer towards her. 

 

Now she knows the meaning of having butterflies in her stomach, because she feels Joohyun kissing her like they were meant to be, and it was so surreal for her. It was as if she could feel the heartfelt emotions from Joohyun. The kiss is slow, yet passionate as they poured their emotions in the kiss. It felt like the world finally answered to Seungwan's prayers, even though she was never really religious to begin with. It was as if they had found each other, in a place full of prejudice. Joohyun was kissing her, like she deserves all the love in this world. 

 

Joohyun could feel the saltiness from the tears of the younger girl's eyes, so she slows down and takes pauses between their kisses, pecking her lips, catching up with their breaths, telling her it's okay, wiping her tears with her thumb, planting kisses over her forehead, telling her multiple times of I love you, Seungwan over her continuous pecks which resulted in the younger girl almost choking as she chuckles, while still crying at Joohyun's actions. 

 

She finally stops and pulls away from their kiss, as they stare at each other for a moment that neither of them wants to forget. 

 

"Why are you making me cry..." Seungwan jokes, trying to control her tears as she laughs while wiping them away. She feels warmth enveloped her heart as Joohyun pulls her into a hug, patting her back and muttering it's okay, the total opposite of how they should've been because the older girl was always the one crying in front of Seungwan with relationship problems and the latter was always the one hugging her, telling her it's okay instead.

 

----------------------

 

They cuddled under the covers, with Seungwan having puffy eyes and Joohyun hugging the younger girl so tightly as she inhales the scent of her girlfriend, pizza and oranges. Seungwan squirms from the ticklish feeling of her nape being grazed by Joohyun's nose, just like their previous sleepover.

 

"Stop it! I can't sleep when you're tickling me. Heck, I don't even know if I can even sleep with you cuddling me."

 

"By the way.... I kinda told Seulgi about what happened between us.."

 

"You WHAT?!"

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

-- THE END -- 

 

 

 

A/N: Thanks everyone for your support! Lol. Didn't expect it to get more attention that I expected. I'm so sorry for the abrupt ending but I can no longer think of ideas in continuing the plot, probably a bonus rated chapter if I get inspired or something. Until then! Bye!