Chap 1

Curious

Seungwan feels a little overwhelmed after receiving so many tasks on the first day of work itself. 

 

"Youre the new engineer right? How about you help me with this manual calculation over here?"

 

"Sure!"

 

"Hey! What's your name?"

 

"Hi! I'm Wendy-"

 

"Great! Nice meeting you! Now can you just do this over here and calculate this design for me, boss wants it by today but I still have tons of work to do. Thanks."

 

"Okay!"

 

"Wendy? Can you photocopy all these for me? I need around 15 sets of this."

 

"Yeah......."

 

---------------

 

Seungwan plops down on her sofa after a long day of work. She was used to the university culture in Korea, but it was a whole new level when it comes to working in Korea. Maybe it's just her office, she thoughts. Spending most of her adolescent years in Canada, she was so used to the friendliness and how open minded everyone was, which also leads to her discovering her orientation. She had never told her family about it, but she was pretty known in her high school as one of the popular seniors. The chic senior that everyone has a girl crush on. Not that she minded, of course. She was pretty satisfied with receiving a few love letters during Valentines, which leads her to experimenting. Which leads her to fully accept that she has zero preference towards the male population. 

 

She was cool with guys. She definitely had no problems in communicating with guys. The tension that is supposed to happen between two people of the opposite , however...

 

She finally concluded that she had zero ual attraction towards guys after forcefully attempting to kiss her partner during her high school prom. Fortunately for her, he was pretty drunk and didn't remember anything that happened that night after Wendy fed him with more shots. Unfortunately for her, she remembers everything that happened and how she felt herself cring over his sloppy grab at her waist as she deepens the kiss.

 

Seungwan stirs from daydreaming on the sofa as she heard her phone vibrating. 

 

"Yeah Joohyun, what's up?"

 

"Hey! How's your first day?" 

 

"I'm so exhausted, I don't think I have the energy to talk, Joohyun."

 

"Oh come on. Feed me some gossips, Wan. Are there any interesting guys?"

 

"*groans*"

 

"Do you wanna have a drink?"

 

"What? Now?"

 

"Yeah, I'm kinda bored. I'll be there in 15. We're no longer friends if I don't see you in clean pyjamas when I reach. I don't want my clothes to stink after visiting you."

 

Joohyun the hygiene freak. Sometimes Seungwan wonders how someone messy like her can be best friends with a neat freak like Joohyun, then she realizes that she practically made friends with every single person she encountered after moving to Korea to further her studies in engineering. She greeted everyone on her first day and received mixed reactions because of her friendliness. Some thought she was a lunatic, some thought she was a cute foreign girl, some thought she was annoying with her overwhelming presence, some thought she was a breath of fresh air to the stressed competitive environment. Joohyun only got closer to her because the course was filled with plenty of group assignments, so she was pretty much stuck in the same gang with Seulgi and Sooyoung throughout their degrees, since the rest of the class was filled with guys. Therefore, the creation of a strong bond between four girls with totally different personalities. 

 

"So how's work?"

 

"OH SH- JOOHYUN!! Can you at least make some noise when you enter the house?!"

 

"I did. Can't you hear how loud my keys were opening your door?"

 

"NO!"

 

"Too bad." she giggled before adding, "I asked Seulgi and Sooyoung to come but they're busy tonight. I guess it's just me and you again. So how's work? Anything interesting? Any guys?"

 

Seungwan walks into the kitchen with a towel over her head. She adds a bag of tea into a ceramic mug and pours hot water over it for Joohyun, since she knows the girl doesn't drink coffee. 

 

"Here." She hands over to Joohyun before sitting at the other edge of the sofa as she dries her wet hair with the towel. Joohyun looks at her with an excited smile as she sips her favourite tea. She calls it the gossip tea because they always have it in Seungwan's house during girl talks. They love gathering at her house because Seungwan, despite being a messy person, makes amazing desserts for them. Who wouldn't love free desserts when you're a broke university student living on a tight budget?

 

"There are plenty of guys of course since I'm under consultants. What's new?" 

 

"How are they? Did you make any friends?"

 

"Not yet.. Only my desk buddy Eric, who was sitting right next to me. Everyone looks really stressed out and when I approached them, they just gave me more stuffs to do! So I ended up with many tasks in hand and only one friendly human connection."

 

"Aww, it's okay. It'll be better tomorrow." The taller girl shoots her friend an assuring smile, before she places a hand right below Seungwan's collarbone to comfort her.

 

"I have received blessings from the Goddess of Peace herself! All will be fine tomorrow!" Seungwan simply lets out an awkward laugh and jokes about how painful her day was as she delicately shakes off her hand. She doesn't want Joohyun to know how flustered she was over her subtle touches. 

 

After moving to Seoul, she told herself to never reveal her orientation to anyone because of the conservative culture compared to what she faced in high school. She wanted to leave her past behind so that she wouldn't disappoint her family. Throughout their university lives, she was the only one amoung four of them who didn't go on a date even though she knows there were guys who tried to flirt with her. She didn't care about the girls making fun of her boring love life, she knew what her mind wanted. She knew no matter how good looking or affectionate the guy is, her heart just downright rejected them. Of course she didn't disclose it to the girls, she doesn't want to risk her friendship with them as they were the only friends she have in Korea before she unconsciously built a wall around herself and became less sociable as she becomes more aware of her feelings.

 

Now, the only problem she has with their friendship is the overly affectionate Joohyun and her skinship. No straight girl would touch her friends like how Joohyun likes linking arms so closely with her friends. Seungwan repeats this phrase in her head probably more than the number of times Joohyun receives a compliment about her beauty by someone. The first time Joohyun grabbed hold of her arm and intertwined their fingers together, Seungwan froze there for a few seconds before the rest of the girls looked at her weirdly and signalled her to follow them for class. It took Seungwan a few months before finally getting used to her, only because she sees the entire female population in Korea holds hands and links arms with their friends like it's nothing. Of course this means Seulgi and Sooyoung linked arms with her as well, but in her imaginary list-of-skinship-moments she's done so far, Joohyun had triple of what both of them had combined together. Joohyun is someone dangerous to her when it comes to crossing boundaries.

 

So Seungwan decided it was best to bury her emotions into the closet and never take it out. She doesn't want to add anymore burden to her parents, even though it means she'll never get to find happiness and stay single forever. She decides that she will be a responsible daughter for the sake of her parents. 

 

"Oh yeah by the way, I broke up with Daehoon." 

 

"WHAT?!" Seungwan immediately shoots up to look at the girl who was calmly sipping her tea, with the end of the towel slowly swinging beside her head due to her sudden halt in movement.