Chap 2

Curious

"Yeah you heard me. We broke up."

 

"Are you serious? When? How? WHY?!"

 

"We're just not meant for each other."

 

"WHAT!? After 2 years of being together, you just decided that one day you're not meant for each other?! W-"

 

"Seungwan, stop it." Joohyun sounded a little too serious which caused Seungwan to zip shut before she could interrogate her best friend further. She fliddled with her fingers, still holding the mug while avoiding any sorts of eye contact with the other girl. She felt the dip of the sofa as Seungwan rises up, standing in front of her.

 

"I'm sorry for being an . Do you need a hug?" Seungwan asks this time, with her arms wide open as she threw her towel onto the sofa. She looks at the girl apologetically and is soon enveloped by the girl's hug. She pats the girl's back and carefully combs her silky hair to avoid the tingling sensation from her nose. Joohyun has smooth silky black hair which is a contrast to her slightly rough golden brown locks, most probably due to it being damaged by the amount of times she keeps experimenting with her hair colors. She rests her hands just below the end of Joohyun's long hair, making slight movements from her fingers to soothe the girl.

 

They stand there for a while (which was an awkward eternity for Seungwan) as the girl is still hugging her tightly. She feels the girl snuggles into her neck as she fidgets with her black hair playfully because she didn't know what else to do besides being mesmerized by her delicate scent of a mix of shampoo and fabric softener. 

 

"So are we going to talk about it or are we just going to stay like this until my hair dries?"

 

"I miss your hugs. You're so warm."

 

"Well if I was cold, you probably need to immediately call the ambulance and maybe even pay some respects to me the next day with some white flowers- Ow!" She chuckles as she felt a light slap from the girl. Seungwan was used to it, you see. Since she always make lame cheesy jokes to hide her vulnerable or panicking self, she often earns light hits from her friends. If she could earn a buck for every single time they hit her because of her remarks, she could already bought a second-hand car for herself. 

 

"I'm not able to reciprocate his feelings." She murmurs softly against her neck, feeling a little lost as she tries to find the suitable words to explain. She feels Seungwan pause from playing with her hair, chest rising as if to reply something but she only hears her sigh instead. 

 

"Well, welcome back to the single club! Hope you'd enjoy your stay at the Single Express! Introducing today's exclusive promotion just for you, my lady-" Seungwan laughs with her after she receives yet another slap from the older girl. It isn't difficult to make Joohyun smile again whenever the girl isn't feeling good. She just makes her greasy way into the girl's mind and accepts her light punishment from the girl later. It was way better than dealing with a moody girl for the rest of the day. She usually does the same thing to their other 2 friends, but her grease has a much bigger impact towards Joohyun. 

 

"Feeling better?"

 

"Yeah. Thank you, Seungwan." Joohyun finally lets go of her and smiles before they sat back on the sofa, this time side by side and of course with linked arms. Seungwan secretly laughs inside as she suddenly thought of a brilliant idea. She grabs her wet towel and slowly inches it closer to Joohyun to mess with her.

 

"YAH!!"

 

The older girl acts way faster compared to Seungwan. She takes the towel with both hands and covers the prankster's face instead as they struggle with each other, but she's stronger than Seungwan whenever the situation calls for it. Laughing at each other, the younger girl removes the towel that was blocking her vision and her heart beats a little faster than normal as she realizes how close their faces were. She feels herself staring a little too long into the now joyous girl's eyes before she shoots up from her seat to hang her towel.

 

It's not that she has a crush on Joohyun, but it's been a while since she had these kind of tension. She definitely does not like her best friend in that way. Sometimes she feels her heart jumping a little too irrationally due to the amount of totally straight contact she'll have with these girls here but she assures herself that best friends will only remain as best friends. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing that will damage her. 

 

GODDAMN KOREAN CULTURE. 

 

She curses at herself and takes deep breaths before coming back to reality.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Seungwan is finally done with her work for today and heads on to a cafe that she has promised to meet up with the rest of her friends. She has gotten better at her job after a month of getting used to the tasks and learning the daily affairs. She was even asked to assist her desk buddy with his ongoing project so that she could learn more tricks and hopefully secure herself a project by the end of the year. She has even received praises by her colleagues for her efficient tasks and sometimes they would buy her a drink for helping them with their last minute work. Being the only female (apart from the office secretary), she knows they wouldn't pressure her too much, it's not like she minded anyways. She was content with the lack of female distractions but too much interactions with males can be dreadful for her sometimes. Especially when they're trying to know her better as more than friends. Oh, she knows about their advances alright, but she just shrugs it off and pretends to be oblivious. It's one of the reasons why she's more close to Eric in general, because he already has a girlfriend anyway so he wouldn't ask her too many personal questions that would bother her. 

 

She greets her three friends that have already arrived at the cafe, a little aware that she has to sit beside Miss Touchy. They call the waiter over to take their orders in a very polite manner before finally letting hell break loose due to 4 hyperactive girls. 

 

"How are you girls!!??"

 

If someone sees them from the window of the cafe, they would've thought the girls were drinking soju instead of coffee, because Sooyoung and Seungwan like talking with their entire body, compared to the other two who are much more calm and composed, actually using their mouths to talk instead. Their over the moon conversations finally cools down when they reach the relationship topic. Seungwan knows the older girl hasn't tell the rest of them yet, so she reaches to grab Joohyun's hand under the table to give her a slight encouragement as she explains to them about their recent break up. They listen to her attentively as Joohyun reassures to them that she's more than fine and she doesn't feel awful about it anymore. 

 

Just then, a fine lady in skin hugging red dress that accentuates her hourglass figure passes by the cafe and of course immediately garners attention from an awestruck Seungwan who stirs her coffee slower than usual as her eyes were fixed towards the lady. This causes the girls to look at her funnily, turning around to see what captured the girl's attention, who usually focuses her 100% attention on whoever's talking. 

 

"Wah, she's y." Sooyoung blurted out and they agreed with her. It was one of the few moments that Seungwan was thankful to Korean culture; girls being able to drool over hot girls even though they're totally straight but unlike Seungwan who was totally checking out the girl in another manner. She doesn't have to pretend that she saw someone familiar, probably a relative like the multiple times she's done in Canada.

 

"It's been a while since we had sleepover at Seungwan's place." Sooyoung mentions as she sips the last drop of her iced latte.

 

"Oh! Yeah! When was the last time we had it? 1 year ago?" Joohyun adds.

 

"Yeah I guess. So let's do it tomorrow night!" Seulgi replies which the other girls agree that it was a good idea, but Seungwan on the other hand sips her coffee a little too fast after hearing their conversation, causing her to go into a coughing fit. They laughed at her as the older girl pats her back and passes her a glass of water while giggling at how red she's becoming from the lack of air. 

 

"Ooohh look at how happy she is! I'll get a few sojus before coming!" Sooyoung happily suggests but was shot down by Seungwan herself.

 

"WHAT?! No! The last thing I want to have is a few drunk girls and a stench of disgusting vomit in my apartment."

 

"We'll take it as a yes then!" Seulgi adds and high fives the other two girls who were still laughing at Seungwan trying to compose herself.

 

"Fine~ I'll just get a few bottles to spice up the night. I promise."

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

 

Joohyun was the first to arrive at her apartment, not that she was ever late to anything anyway. She could smell Seungwan cooking from the kitchen so she slipped inside right after placing her stuffs. 

 

"OH SH- JOOHYUN AH!!! Can you at least greet me first?!" Seungwan places her hand over her chest as she calms her surprised heart after the older girl casually sneaks behind her and unconsciously lies her chin on her shoulder to see what she was cooking. 

 

"Nope! I like surprising you. Your reactions are hilarious. Also, I think you should get hearing aids before someone robs your entire house while you're asleep." She chuckles lightly and stands beside her this time, earning a glare from the younger girl. Seungwan gets back to cooking as the girl stares at her with the most loving smile. She was kind of used to her intense stare at basically everyone so she just focuses on cooking. 

 

"Do you wanna try some?" She receives a nod and proceeds to scoop up a strand of pasta for her to try. She allows her eyes to linger at the girl's pink lips as she tastes the pasta. New lipstick? She forces herself to look at Joohyun's eyes instead, waiting for her reaction.

 

"Tastes good. Need a little more salt though."

 

"Really?" She slurps a stand of pasta from the pot and chews slowly with her eyebrows furrowed. "Yeah you're right."

 

Joohyun lightly grabs the younger girl's chin which makes Seungwan turn to look at her with eyebrows arched, now wondering what she was up to. She grazes her thumb over her lips to remove a chopped up basil leave, which causes the younger girl to panic and look at everywhere else but at Joohyun.

 

"There." Joohyun shows her the residue and smiles at her. She immediately turns to look down at her pot and awkwardly laughs at the encounter. Just then, they heard a familiar series of knock at the door.

 

"Can you help me open the door?" The younger girl thanked the lords before she goes into a nervous breakdown because of the oblivious girl. 

 

Best friend~ best friend~ she's your best friend~ she's just try~ing to help~ you~