Chap 4

Curious

Joohyun frowns as she wakes up from the blinding sunlight that shines directly at her face. She sits up and looks over at the other 2 girls who were still on the bed sleeping. Walking out of the bedroom with heavy steps and sleepy eyes, she looks over at the girl who was sleeping with opened slightly. Chuckling silently, she grabs her phone and scoots closer to her. Another picture of the cute sleepyhead.

 

Seungwan shifts slightly from the sound of her camera, causing her shirt to expose her bare stomach when she turns over with her back facing the sofa. The older girl is squatting in front of her, observing how much her face has changed slightly compared to last time. Seungwan has more creases at the side of her eyes, a sign of getting older. But she looks fuller and wiser, a sign of how the girl has matured well for her age. She notices how Seungwan is also getting thinner lately, probably due to stress from work. She pulls the hem of her shirt carefully to avoid waking up the girl.

 

"Mmm-Wh-Whaat! Joohyun!" Wendy jumped and sat up immediately, startled by the sight of Joohyun in front of her and the touch of her hand pulling her shirt. 

 

"Sorry, did I wake you up? Your tummy was exposed to the whole wide world so I helped you pull it down." She replies innocently and jumps at the chance to lie on the sofa beside her. "Let me sleep here for a while. I can't sleep with so much sunlight in your room."

 

"There's something called curtains and I'm pretty sure you can pull them." She feels a little uneasy with the girl squeezing beside her with so little space for the both of them. So she decided to get up instead, tugging the older girl with the blanket. 

 

After washing up, Seungwan goes to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for them as always. Extra hashbrowns for Sooyoung, extra buns for Seulgi and extra tomatoes for Joohyun. She takes her own sweet time, humming her favourite songs, swaying her hips as if she's trying to dance while cooking for them. 

 

Just then, she was startled yet again by someone slapping her and it could only be one person. Joohyun. 

 

"Hey! It hurts, you know!" She scolds the older girl lightly before focusing back at her pan. 

 

"Someone's in a good mood." She smirks at Seungwan who already turned around, and leans forward to hug the girl from behind, doing the same as she did yesterday with her chin on her shoulder to smell the aroma of sauteed mushrooms. 

 

"Why are you so clingy recently? Are you on your period?" 

 

Joohyun clicks her tongue and slaps the girl again before adding, "No. I'm gonna go wash up."

 

Maybe it's because Joohyun just broke up with her boyfriend. Maybe she just needs someone to replace the emptiness she feels after she left him. Maybe she's always clingy and need someone to cling on to everytime. Maybe she feels sorry for Seungwan who's never been in a relationship since moving here. Or maybe she's just overly attached to Seungwan. Seungwan believes it's because of her recent break up, and denies whatever thought that Joohyun's being affectionate because of Seungwan herself.

 

------------------------------------

 

After a few rounds of discussion on what they should do on a sunny Saturday and some fierce stances from Sooyoung on the reasoning for choosing 'going to the mall' instead of Seulgi's option of 'flea market' and Joohyun's 'wherever with air-conds please', they finally showered and got dressed within 2 hours which was much faster than what Seungwan expected. They usually took at least 3 hours to get ready with Seungwan's one and only bathroom feat 4 long haired girls.

 

They headed to the mall's huge rooftop garden to enjoy the summer breeze and were lucky enough to see not many people there. Usually, there would be large groups of tourists there for sight seeing. Sooyoung leads them and walks in front, searching for locations to take pictures with the best lighting. 

 

"Seungwan, can I borrow your phone? Seulgi, take for me please!" She smiles brightly at the camera with an enthusiastic Seungwan turning into a bossy camera director as the other girl shoots from a low angle. They've always used Seungwan's phone with the best camera, and never asked Joohyun to help them in taking pictures because the girl simply does not know how to shoot for people, even though she's the opposite when it comes to selfies. 

 

As they walked around to take pictures of the scenery with their fresh summer outfits, Seungwan rests on a bench nearby, feeling tired from the girls and their huge amount of energy when it comes to taking pictures. She smiles at the sight of her best friends simply spending time and laughing at each other, without any worries burdening them. 

 

"Wendy?" 

 

She hears the sound of someone calling her nickname and curiously turns around to look for the voice. She never uses her nickname in Korea, so they couldn't be calling her. 

 

"Troy!?!" She drops her jaw and stands up to take a better look at the guy who was making his way towards her, with a backpack and professional DSLR hanging over his shoulder. He must have came here for a trip, she thoughts. 

 

"It's you!! I can't believe it! How have you been?" He greets her with a hug, which doesn't go unnoticed by the other 3 girls who seem to be surprised at what they saw. Seungwan forgot that she's in Korea where hugging the opposite becomes a big deal, something she learned from watching too many Korean dramas. She laughs innocently at her friends briefly before focusing her attention at the guy in front of her who is a head taller than her.

 

Sooyoung swears he's one of the best looking foreign guy she's ever seen in her life. The exact definition of tall, muscular and handsome. 

 

"He's so handsome."

 

"Should we interrupt them?" Joohyun asks, crossing her arms. 

 

"Why? Don't worry about her. Come on Seulgi, let's take more pictures!!" Sooyoung pulls the 2 girls who were still staring at both of them.

 

Words couldn't describe how Seungwan feels right now as memories of her high school life rush to her mind. She doens't know if she should feel melancholic about her not-so-positive past or glad because one of the people who made her high school bearable, is sitting right next to her after so many years. She thought she could let go of her past by moving to Korea, and she definitely doesn't expect to see someone she knows here. 

 

If someone asks her to describe Troy, she would tell them that he is her fraternal twin. They are so similar to each other, including their hobbies, interests, music, dislikes, and even their personalities match each other so well that strangers often think they're together. But both of them knew that they will never end up together, simply because their preferences are similar. He doesn't like girls, and she doesn't like guys either. They were each other's fake partners whenever needed to escape from any awkward situations, and cheered on for each other when it comes to talking to their crushes. 

 

"So are you with anyone right now? Perhaps one of them in your group over there?" Troy simply shoots her a smile.

 

"No.. No one knows I'm not straight here. I only came out to one of them. It's not like in Canada, Troy. It's a little difficult." She glances at her friends, looking straight as she fiddles with her fingers, recalling the night before. Troy pats her back as he looks at her apologetically. They stayed like that for a moment, before Joohyun walks over to them without them noticing. 

 

"Seungwan, we're going to take a group photo before going for desserts. Let's go!" Joohyun pulls her hand. 

 

She looks up at Joohyun, a little surprised at her tone that was slightly aggressive, as if wanting her to abandon her friend that was just right beside her. Perhaps it's because she looks upset, which was why Joohyun misunderstood and tries to pull her away from the situation. 

 

"O-oh okay-" She looks at Troy to say goodbye to him but he was much faster than her, "I can help you girls take a group photo if you want. Since my DSLR is right here." 

 

"Sure! That would be awesome." She leads him to her friends as she feels the older girl being clingy again by attaching herself to Seungwan's right arm.

 

--------------

 

"All done! I'll send the pictures to you after I get home. Give me your number." He takes out his phone and passes it to Seungwan to let her key in her number. 

 

"Thanks, Troy. I'll see you again next time? How long will you be in Korea?" 

 

"I'm actually going to start my permanent job here next month. So I guess you'll be seeing me more often now. I'll call you! It was nice catching up with you, Wendy. Bye now!" He gives them a charming smile before waving them goodbye.

 

"Wendy? You're Wendy?" Seulgi asks with an arched eyebrow. 

 

"Yeah. It's my nickname. They call me Wendy in Canada."

 

"Why don't you use it here?"

 

"I don't know. Just wanna leave the past behind, I guess?"

 

"Does he like you?" Joohyun asks.

 

"What?! No! He's my best friend in Canada!"

 

"Ooohh, he seems interested in you." Seulgi adds, pretending that she doesn't already know about last night's conversation. She notices Sooyoung who seems to be uninterested in their questions, which is the opposite of her because she usually jumps at any of their gossips that are related to relationships. 

 

"Never. I bet he already has someone."

 

"You sound like you're interested in him." Joohyun adds, as if trying to trigger the poor girl. 

 

"What?! Come on, guys. I have never and will never be interested in him. We're too similar to each other. He's more like my twin, you know." Seungwan sighs and stops them before they could ask any further, "Let's go for desserts. I would appreciate it if you guys don't make me suffer from a migraine."

 

Seungwan feels a little bothered by Joohyun's tone in questioning her. She doesn't know if she's geniunely curious as a best friend, because she's acting as if someone is trying to challenge her for the best friend position, as if she's jealous. Maybe she's on her period. Joohyun has been acting different around her recently after her break up, and Seungwan is feeling uneasy at her actions.