Chapter 8~

Eventide

             The snow flurries had lessened significantly as they made their way past the lumber mill. Off in the blurry distance, Windhelm could finally be seen. Jonghyun was trying to sip warm apple juice from a tin cup that Jinki had heated up for him, but the slight jarring of his steps was making such a simple task almost impossible. He glanced over the rim when Jinki spoke. “Is there a special lady waiting for you back home?”

              “Ah, not for this man.” Jonghyun laughed quietly, cradling his warm cup to try and steal it’s warmth. “I’ve never been one to fancy women.”

              “Ah.”

              Jonghyun’s eyebrow lifted, “Why do you ask?”

              “Oh, uh,” Jinki gently kicked a stone that was lying in his path. He shrugged as he continued. “I was just wondering if I had kept you from someone important to you other than just your mother.”

              Once he swallowed the rest of the juice, he handed the cup back to Jinki who tied it onto the side of his pack. “Well Magey, don’t you worry. There’s not a lover waiting for me back home.”

              “That’s a relief.” A small smile curled at his lips. “Wouldn’t want to anger two different women.”

              A few more paces and Jonghyun quietly asked, “Do you have someone special hiding somewhere in that College of yours?”

              “Not a woman or a lover.” Jinki’s voice was soft and distant when he continued. “I once had a daughter. Jaehwa was very special to me.”

              “Jinki wait, was? What do you mean was?”

              He gave a hesitant glance to his left, quickly reverting his eyes when Jonghyun’s were waiting for him. “Her Nord Grandfather found out she was half high elf and she never reached further than her third birthday. He… killed her.”

              Jonghyun abruptly stopped, curling his fingers around Jinki’s arm to halt his steps. “Hey, I’m so sorry I asked.”

              Jinki softly met his gaze and the expression of sorrow gracing his features was startling for Jonghyun. He had only seen something resembling sadness once when he admitted his hatred of mages to the man. And even then it was nothing like the bone-deep despair he saw then. “You couldn’t have known. It’s quite alright. A few years have passed since then.”

              “Does this have anything to do with why the guards in Winterhold don’t like you?”

              “Quite perceptive of you.” Jinki swallowed thickly, eyes fluttered shut as he turned his head away. When he turned toward Jonghyun once again his head was lowered, gaze on Jonghyun’s torso for he knew he couldn’t look at Jonghyun with how his vision was beginning to blur with tears. “Her... Grandfather is the Captain of Winterhold Guard. I don’t often go into town other than to leave for travels.”

              “Then why did you go with me?”

              “I don’t trust the guard.” Jinki finally looked up, lip pulled through his teeth for a moment. “I had to protect you.”

              “If I had known, I’d never had asked to go.”

              “It’s okay.”

              “It isn’t though, Jinki. You respected my past and did your best to lessen the amount of exposure I had to things, such as the dark elves at the College, that could cause me emotional pain. You deserve the same respect.” After a few moments of gazing up at him and rocking a little on the balls of his feet, Jonghyun shyly asked, “Can I hug you?”

              Jinki quietly laughed, before opening his arms. “Come on.”

              He wasn’t even finished answering before Jonghyun was half crashing into him, squishing his cheek against his chest. “I’m so sorry, Jinki.”

              It was a moment more that Jinki gave in, closing his eyes and pressing his nose into Jonghyun’s hair. The wind was picking up around them, forcing them to pull apart. Jinki flashed a little smile, trying to reassure Jonghyun as much as he could without words before they both began walking down the path once again.

----

              The snow crunched beneath their feet, pebbles being kicked, as Jinki walked a few paces in front of him. He always did manage to walk slightly faster. Jonghyun has put it under the fact he was wearing less heavy clothes and like to ignore the slight length difference in their legs that probably was the biggest reason. Except now, he was conscious of the fact he was walking slower. Learning that Jinki had once had a daughter, who was murdered for being who she was, only reminded him of his own prejudices. Not so long ago he had hated Jinki for just being a mage, had had thoughts of murdering him in his sleep to be out of the deal and away from him. While that was months ago, it still weighed heavily on his heart.

              The sun was beginning to set. He knew more than likely he wouldn’t get the swim lesson Jinki promised him, but that was the last thing on his mind when Jinki turned with a bright smile and brought him out of his thoughts. “We should fill up our water skins here. The inn is just up the hill, right?”

              “Yeah, yeah it is.”

              Jinki’s head cocked to the side a little as he studied him, “Is there something on your mind?”

              “Always.”

              A short laugh left the mage’s lips as he lowered to the river’s edge to fill his water skin. “Care to share, oh wise one?”

              “I feel guilty.” Jonghyun softly confesses as he kneels beside Jinki. He focuses on getting the cap off his water skin. “I hated mages, elves, because of what happened to my father, and I just keep thinking about how similar my feelings are to.. His.”

              “Jonghyun, you’re nothing like him.” Jinki reached out to curl his fingers around his arm, causing him to look at him. “You had a reason for your hatred. She was a little girl that never did anything to him.”

              “You should hate all nords for what he did to your daughter, but you’ve never treated me as such. Even the man in Windhelm who bruised your arm got more respect from you that I gave you when we first met.” Jonghyun in a rough breath, chest aching a little. “I’m sorry I didn’t give you a chance.”

              Jinki let his hand fall from his arm to put the cap on his waterskin. He straightened before quietly saying. “She would have liked you.”

              Jonghyun stumbled slightly in his rushed attempt to stand. “You really think so?”

              “Yeah. I wish she could have.” Then without another word Jinki turned and headed up the hill to find the path leading to the inn in Kynesgrove.

-----

              Jonghyun grinned widely as Jinki walked toward him. He held up the key to their room. “They only had one room left. Apparently, there was a big hunting party that came through.”

              “It’s not like we haven’t shared a bed before.” Jinki brushed past him with a little smile, walking toward the rooms. “Which one is ours?”

              “The first on the left.”

              As Jonghyun showed him the way to the room, Jinki softly commented, “I’m sorry it took so long to get here. I know you were looking forward to learning to swim.”

              “It’s alright.” He flashed a little grin over his shoulder as he wiggled the key in the lock and pushed open the door. “I’ve survived this long without knowing how to. I’ll get by.”

              Most of Jonghyun’s things were already unceremoniously laid out on the floor near the thick table against the wall. After closing the door behind him, Jinki climbed up onto the bed and crisscrossed his legs up on the mattress. He fished out an apple from his bag, rubbed it on the inside of his robe before taking a huge bite. He glanced over at Jonghyun, who was stumbling around taking off his armor. Jinki’s lips curved slightly, amused, as the man almost fell over wiggling off his boots. He didn’t like to stare so obnoxiously, but Jonghyun was cute as he lightly struggled. He was mumbling incoherent words, though Jinki could take a guess they were curses, and hopping on one foot as he worked off his armor.

              Jonghyun, at first, didn’t seem all that muscular. With the armor off and the tighter lining underneath the only thing on him, while it made his size look smaller, it also allowed the firmness of his body to be seen. As he heaved his armor up to move it into a pile against the wall, his shirt rose, showing off his soft tummy. Jinki had no doubt he was rock solid. He averted his eyes quickly as Jonghyun turned. “So I think I’m going to go get dinner. I’m famished.”

              Jinki rose his hand holding the apple and wiggled it. “I’m good with this for now.”

              “Mmm, alright. Be right back.” He grabbed a few coins from his coin purse and exited through the door.

              While he was gone Jinki stretched out his legs and moved to wash his face in the bowl of water provided. He’d much rather take a bath, but without a tub he would deal with this. Once his face was dried, he took the pins from his hair and changed out of his robe into a soft pair of old pants and a loose shirt. With how late it was, there was no reason for him to leave the confines of their room, and he wanted to be comfortable. He wasn’t exactly sure when the next time he’d truly have a bed to sleep in. Well, that was if Jonghyun didn’t agree to stay one more night with him.

              The closest chair was pulled out, a book he had pulled from his bag in search for his apple earlier open in front of him, when Jonghyun returned through the door. Jinki didn’t even look up until a plate was pushed under where he was holding his book up. “What’s this for?”

              “Just because.” A blue bottle was softly placed beside it. Jinki looked between the food, his favorite wine, and Jonghyun slowly before he understood.

              “Thank you.”

              “We all have ways of protecting.” Was all he said before he went back for his own dinner.

-----

              Later that night as they laid in bed to sleep, the only light being the candle on the windowsill above the bed, Jinki quietly asked, “How would you feel about staying one more night here?”

              Jonghyun slowly opened his eyes, an easy smile on his face. “Why?”

              “I promised to teach you how to swim. I like to keep my promises.”

              “I think you just want to tease me.”

              Jinki laughed quietly as his eyes narrowed a little in his amusement. “There’s a great possibility, but mostly, maybe I wish to spend another day with you.”

              Jonghyun’s eyebrow rose, intrigued. “And why would you want that?”

              “Because I care about you. I’d like to consider us friends and,” Jinki tightened his hold on the blanket held tightly around him. “I don’t know when we’ll see each other again or if you’ll want to keep in touch.”

              “Oh, you want to keep in touch?”

              “Yes.”

              “Then... I’ll stay one more day.” Jonghyun smiled brightly, nuzzling his cheek into his pillow.

              “After breakfast, I know a natural hot spring about an hour long walk from here.” Jinki yawned quietly, “Goodnight Jonghyun. I’ll see you in the morning.”

              “Goodnight.”

              Jinki moved to get comfortable after Jonghyun rolled onto his back, but then he realized Jonghyun’s eyes were still open. He leaned on his palm, lifted up by his elbow on the bed. “Are you still thinking about being guilty?”

              Jonghyun whipped his head to the side, eyes wide, “How could you possibly know that?”

              “You’d be surprised.” Carefully he reached over to squeeze Jonghyun’s hand resting beside him. “I forgive you. For the way you used to view me, for thoughts you never disclosed to me that are making you feel guilty. I forgive you, Jonghyun. I need you to forgive yourself, now. Okay, Jingles?”

              “Okay,” Jonghyun whispered, eyes blurring a little bit. He was grateful for the low light.

              “I know you care about me now.”

              “I do.”

              “Just like I do you. If I didn’t I wouldn’t have forgiven you. Goodnight, Jonghyun. Rest that mind of yours.” Jinki smiled before turning over, getting comfy and closing his eyes. Jonghyun gazed at the back of him for a long moment, before reaching up to grab the candle and blowing it out. Once it was safely back on the ledge, he softly laid back, careful not to jostle Jinki too much.

------

              The mid-morning sun was bright and warm above them, light filtering through the sparse trees and brush as they walked over the broken cobblestone path. Jonghyun skipped a little to catch up to Jinki, hands curled around the straps of the bag over his shoulders. His armor was locked up back in their room at the inn and he felt almost without it on. Jinki’s robes were also back in their room. The simple clothes on his frame were ones he used when he didn’t want to be recognized as a mage, and Jonghyun believed he looked really good in them. “When will we get there?”

              “Soon.”

              “How soon is ‘soon’?”

              “A few minutes.”

              “Well, I-”

              “Give me all your money or I’ll gut you like a fish.” Standing before them was an orc, sword held out firmly. Jinki slipped between the sword and Jonghyun, curling his left arm back around to make sure the man was behind him completely. The sword’s point cut through Jinki’s shirt, almost pressing into his skin on his stomach.

              “I don’t think you want to do this.” He quietly warned.

              “And why is that?”

              Steam billowed from Jinki’s nose as he breathed out roughly, fire swirling around his fingers before it shot out toward the ground. It created a circle around the thief as the long grass burned quickly. “You’ll never get that sword through me before the fire burns you unrecognizable.”

              The thief looked at them for a few moments before he sprinted the other way. Once he was sure the orc was gone, he looked down at his stomach, looking at the hole cut in his shirt. Jonghyun’s throat suddenly felt dry, breathing a little quick, as Jinki smiled so handsomely at him. “That was the most idiotic, yet cool, thing I’ve ever had to witness.”

              “Better me than you.”

-----

              “Come on! It’s warm.” The speed in which Jinki climbed down the rocks had Jonghyun’s heart in his throat. By the time he had gotten down himself, Jinki was pulling his shirt off and dropping it on top of his discarded bag. He looked over his shoulder for a split second, a bright smile on his face, before he was heading into the water. Once he was in the deepest part, he turned, leaning back to get his hair wet. “Aren’t you coming Jingles?”

              “But it’s too deep.”

              “I won’t let the demon water get you.” Jinki stood up slightly and Jonghyun focus was taken away momentarily by the water dripping down Jinki’s chest. “Come on. I got you.”  

              Jonghyun dropped his shirt next to his bag and took a few steps to the edge of the water. After a deep breath, he entered the water. When the hot spring was up to his thighs, Jinki offered his hands which Jonghyun quickly took. “What are you going to teach me first?”

              “How to float.”

              “How is that swimming?”

              “Swimming is just floating while you move through the water.” Jinki softly grinned. “Come on, get on your back for me.”

              “You’re going to drown me.”

              “Uh huh. Don’t you trust me?”

              Jonghyun chewed his bottom lip before groaning. “Yes. Fine.”

              With a little adjusting and a bit of flailing, Jinki managed to get Jonghyun floating on top of the water with his hands under him. “Close your eyes, relax. I won’t let the water hurt you.”

              A few deep breaths later, Jonghyun’s eyes closed. There was a soft breeze rolling over the East Marsh. It felt cool across the warmth of his skin with the extra heat of the water around them. “I think I’m ready to do it on my own.”

              “You already are.”

              Jonghyun’s eyes snapped open, finding Jinki standing there with his hands held above the water. “WHAT!” The panicked flailing at first was funny to Jinki before he realized how scared Jonghyun was. Quickly he was wrapping both arms around him steadying him.

              “Jonghyun calm down! I got you.”

              “I could have drowned!”

              Jinki’s nose was pressed against the back of his head, arms tight around his middle, and his voice was incredibly soft as he spoke, “I’ll never let anything happen to you around me, Jonghyun.”

              Jonghyun was sure Jinki had to feel the way his heart was beating roughly in his chest, the rush of his quickened breathing. They weren’t from the fear of drowning anymore, but the feeling of Jinki’s bare skin pressed up against him. “I think I’m okay. Thank you.”

              “Alright,” Slowly he withdrew his arms, swimming a foot or so away. “You should be able to stand up there.”

              “Thank you.”

              Jinki lowered under the water, massaging his scalp, before lifting his head back above the water. He grinned brightly. “Take it easy. No need to be  fish right away.”

              “Like you?”

              "I grew up swimming all the time and playing in the water. I miss it.”

              “Oh in Markarth?” Jonghyun hesitantly moved a little deeper, “There’s a lot of water there, right?”  

              “Yeah. The house there is still mine if I ever wished to go back, but I haven’t been back since my father died.”

              “Maybe one day you can show me it.”

              “You’d want to?” Jinki blushed slightly at how surprised he sounded, dipping his head a little to try and hide his pink cheeks.

              “There’s a lot about you I wish to learn.”

-----

              After swimming for hours and walking back, both of them were exhausted. The small things of food they had brought with them and been enough for lunch time, but quickly their stomachs growled with hunger once again. The hunting party had left that morning, leaving the inn empty besides the owners. The fire was warm as they sat near it, sipping at their drinks of choice. Jinki loved watching the way the flames flickered against the stone and wood of the inn around them. He noticed easily in the time he was with Jonghyun that them man always sat further away from the fire as he could and still be warm. Now, he understood why.

              Jonghyun had one mead already in his tummy, and a half of another already down as well. His skin was feeling tingly and his tummy warm. He kept thinking about the way Jinki looked in the light of the fire and how tomorrow morning his heart would break watching him walk away. The mead lowered his filter and before he could think against it, “I think you’re going to break my heart.”

              Jinki slowly turned toward him, eyes studying him intently. “You’d have to love me for that to happen.”

              “Maybe I do.”

              After taking a slow drink of his wine, Jinki sweetly smiled as he stood. He gestured with a nod of his head, “Let’s go talk somewhere more private, Jonghyun.”

His mead was left next to Jinki’s wine bottle as they headed to their room. He pushes the door closed slowly and when he turns around Jinki is carefully taking each of his rings off and setting them on the table. Once finished he looked over to see Jonghyun heavily leaning against the door. “You make it seem as if you’re scared I’ll hurt you.”

              “Not physically. You’d never do that. But,” Jonghyun fidgets with his fingers, eyes downcast as he continues. “Emotionally? You very well might. I don’t know much about your past in terms of love. You could be a breaker of hearts, a flirt and a lover.”

              “I could be.”

              “You use things for your own purposes without remorse.”

              “For the most part, I do.”

              “You could very well be using me.”

              “You’re right. I could be.” Jinki responds as he reaches up to take the pins from his hair that he had pushed in after swimming. He smiles up at Jonghyun as he leans heavily against the table behind him, curling his fingers around the edge. “But, I promise you I’m not. You very well may be the one to break mine Jonghyun.”

              Jonghyun’s breath is soft, yet ragged, watching Jinki’s hair fall around his face. It’s longer than when they first met, down to the base of his neck. The soft, warm white always looked so beautiful against the color of his skin. It was Jinki who broke the silence between them. “You’ve cared for me for a while since before Winterhold, haven’t you?”

              “Maybe.”

              “Here I am, willing to be open and vulnerable for you, least you can do is be honest with me.”

              Jonghyun opens and closes his mouth quickly, trying to find the words to say to express his feelings. He takes a few steps forward after locking the door. “Yes. I’ve liked you since the first time snow fell on the way up to the college.” He swallows thickly, hands slightly shaking with his nerves. “I knew I loved you when we stood out in that blizzard trying to get you to not be so mad at me when I thought I lost you.” One more step is taken. “I didn’t need an . I needed more time with you.”

              “You knew you loved me then?”

              “I almost told you, but then the thought came that there’s much about you I don’t know yet, and I didn’t want to be used or hurt.”

              “Now, do you think I’m going to hurt you?”

              Another step. “It’s highly likely.”

              Jinki pushes off the ground to sit up on the table, legs spreading slightly as he relaxes. “I know something that’s more likely than that, Jonghyun.”

              “And what would that be?”

              “That I’ve loved you since you sneezed because of the snow crystals on your nose.” Jonghyun takes the last few steps until he’s standing between Jinki’s thighs, hands hesitantly resting on his thighs. Jinki gazes at him so soft and fond as he continues. “And that I dread how tomorrow morning bids our goodbye.”

              Jonghyun leans so close they can feel each other’s breath against their lips, nose’s brushing as he whispers, “Do you want it as a goodbye?”

              “Give me a moment and you tell me Jingles.”

------