Chapter 6~

Eventide

             Jinki was sitting on his knees. He was wearing blue, simple pants and a light colored shirt with short sleeves. His hands were pushed into the soft dirt of his garden as he cultivated his plants. Jonghyun watched from the chair that had been pulled to rest against the stone wall that divided the bedroom from the rest of the circular room, right beside the curve of the garden in the center. “Did you plant this all yourself?”

             “Most.” Jinki’s hair was tied back, but a few strands that were too short for the band were falling into his eyes. He had an easy smile on his face. His body language was relaxed. He wasn’t on guard, looking out for possible attackers. He was at peace. “When I was appointed Archmage the dirt and tree were here, but the rest were crumbled and dead. My predecessor seemed to lack a green thumb.”

             “How do they stay alive while you’re gone?”

             “A bit of magic, a bit of asking Kibum to look after them.” He grinned, leaning back on his feet to admire his work. “I have a book on my shelf that says, Gardening for the inept if he ever has questions.”

             “Are you… close with Kibum?”

             Jinki’s eyes narrowed as he looked at the man. “You sound slightly jealous.”

             “I do not!”

             “Your squeaky voice says otherwise, Jingles.” He chuckled quietly when Jonghyun looked away, crossing his arms and mumbling to himself. “And yes. We used to travel together back when I was a warrior myself. We joined the college at the same time.”

             “Do you,” Jonghyun ran his thumb over the rim of his wine bottle. “Miss it?”

             “Not even a little bit.” Jinki leaned forward onto his hands to reach a plant further in. He smiled up at Jonghyun then, “You’re a much better companion, Jonghyun.”

             Jinki returned to his garden, which was a blessing for Jonghyun because it meant the mage didn’t see the rouge of his cheeks.

-----

             “Are we even allowed in here?” Jonghyun whispered, sticking close to Jinki as they stepped into the darkened room.

             “I’m allowed wherever I wish.” There wasn’t much of Jinki he could see until the magelight appeared in his right hand. It was when Jinki tugged him further into the room he realized he was still holding the mage’s hand. Jinki shot the magelight toward the closest lamp and soon the light traveled around the room until the ancient library was clearly visible. “As long as we don’t damage anything, they’ll never know. Come on and look around. There are probably books on subjects and creatures you’ve never even heard of.”

             “Jinki?”

             “Yes?”

             “Your bookworm is showing.”

             Jinki dipped behind one of the two large walls in the otherwise circular room then, “I apologize.”

             Jonghyun wished he didn’t. “Where do you think I should start?” Just as quick as he left he was standing in front of him again, a book volume in his hands. The cover read, How to Start a Campfire. Jinki was grinning from ear to ear, pleased with himself. “Oh off Magey.”

             “I figured with us parting ways soon you won’t have my fire to save you.” Jinki had turned away, his facial expression unknown then.

             He ran his fingers over the smooth red cover, opening it slowly to feel the way the pages felt against his skin. “What do you plan on doing after I leave?”

             “Stay around here for a few days to get a hold on things, but then I’m needed in a Dwemer ruins to the North of Riften. I sent two mages there a few months ago and have lost contact.” Jinki gently sat in one of the chairs facing the archway and Jonghyun, smiling as he flipped open a book. “On the way, I may kill a dragon or two, collect a few rogue bounties for the school to use. Break a few peoples hearts, maybe.”

             “Do you break a lot of hearts, Jinki?”

             “A few.”

             “I know coming into this I wasn’t keen on accompanying you, but,” Jonghyun swallowed thickly, faced with the knowledge that come a day or so, he’d most likely never see Jinki again. “You were a good companion these last few months. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.”

             “Oh, you enjoyed being my meat shield, huh?”

             Jonghyun whined, “I’m trying to be heartfelt here, Jinki. Give me a break.”

             Jinki placed the book he was reading into his lap, his hand fell to rest upon it’s open pages, as he looked up with a soft gaze. “If anything, I am glad you don’t hate me anymore.”

             “No, I don’t hate you.” His voice came out so quiet it was almost a whisper. “To be honest, I think I’ll miss traveling with you.”

             “And why’s that?”

             Jonghyun found a seat across the way from Jinki, up against the other wall that split the room into thirds, facing the other man. “It gets quite lonely on the road. I love what I do, but it was really nice to have a partner I guess.”

             “It is.” Jinki’s gaze fell then and Jonghyun frowned, trying to figure out what had the usual confident, bordering cocky mage, so soft and almost shy. “Before you set off, I wish to make you a few potions and salves.”

             “Are you worried I’ll get hurt, Jinki?” He teased, but his ribbing stopped when Jinki rose his gaze.

             “Yes. I won’t be there to heal you, Jonghyun.” Jinki chewed on his bottom lip for a moment before he sighed, gaze falling. “And you like to run head first into trouble without thinking it through. I won’t be there to save you.”

             “I managed all by my lonesome for many years before you came along, Jinki.”

             “Please don’t belittle my feelings. If you don’t wish to accept them, I’ll hide them in your bags for later use.”

             “That’s cute.”

             “What?”

             “It’s cute.” Jonghyun repeated, “That you’re worried for me.”

             “Shut up.” Jinki mumbled as he dipped his head and his hair fell, cutting his features from Jonghyun’s vision. But the tips of his pointed ears were pink.

-----

             As they were getting ready for bed later that night Jonghyun was sitting on the bed when he asked, “I’m not overstepping my welcome, am I?”

             Jinki looked over his shoulder briefly before he turned, continuing to brush his hair as he walked toward the bed. The brush was laid on the bedside table as he slipped under the covers. “What makes you ask that?”

             “You’re sharing your quarters with me for free, your food and bed.” Jonghyun waved his hands in a gesture toward the room. “I don’t want to offend you.”

             He shook his head, scooting further down until his ear was against the pillow and his back toward Jonghyun. “You can stay here as long as you wish, Jingles. Before you leave you can have whatever you need for supplies. You aren’t stepping over some unspoken line.”

             “Are you sure because-”

              “Jonghyun.”

             “Yes?” He almost squeaked.

             “Go to bed.”

             He pouted deeply but laid down on his pillow, staring at the broadness of Jinki’s back. Then the lights around them went out, cutting him from his vision. “Goodnight, Magey.”

             He might have heard Jinki laugh. “Goodnight, Jingles.”

----

             Early the next morning Jonghyun woke up to Jinki walking past the bed multiple times, in various states of undress until finally he was fully dressed in his main robe. “What are you doing?”

             Jumping slightly he fumbled for a moment for the scone in his hand. He turned with a soft glare. “Good morning to you too, Jonghyun.”

             He yawned widely, stretching as he sat up in bed. Smacking his mouth a few times he quipped, “That didn’t answer my question.”

             "I have a class to teach. The Storm Mage who was supposed to teach it is too drunk to do so.” Jinki pinned his hair back before putting a hand on his hip. “You could come to watch if you wish.”

             “A room full of mages learning how to use electricity?” Jonghyun’s face twisted. “Doesn’t sound safe at all.”

             “Don’t you trust me to protect you?”

             “Well, I-”

             “You don’t have to come, Jonghyun. I just thought it would be a once in a lifetime experience.” Jinki downed his juice before rolling his shoulders. He smiled sweetly at the man in the bed, “If you wish to come, I’ll be waiting on the other side of the wall for about fifteen minutes. And, don’t wear your armor. It’s like a magnet for the stuff.”

             Jonghyun frowned deeply as Jinki grabbed his staff that was leaning against the wall between the long storage bins along the wall. He decided that he did trust Jinki to protect him and that he was intrigued by the whole thing. Especially the concept of Jinki teaching anything with how snippy and sarcastic he was as a person.

             By the time he came stumbling around the corner fighting to put on his last boot, Jinki had paused in the archway about to leave, a bright grin on his face upon seeing Jonghyun.

----

             “What’s he doing here, Archmage?”

             Jonghyun felt incredibly small leaning against the pillar behind Jinki as the 8 students looked directly at him. Jinki didn’t even glance over his shoulder as he replied, “He’s just an observer. Pay him no mind.”

             “But-”

             “Ah ah ah,” Jinki let his hands fall from where they were held just above his navel. “You were expecting Master Kyuhyun, who’s is much softer than I am in lessons. Electricity is my specialty.”

             “But you aren’t a storm mage!” A young Khajit spoke from the back.

             “As Archmage I am supposed to Master all forms of magic as I can.” Jinki caused fire to swirl around his fingers, quickly changing to frost before it moved to electricity. “All of these are in the school of Destruction. Some of you will go on to research different schools of magic, but one must know the basics of destruction to defend themselves. As much as Master Wizard Kibum likes to say, you cannot defend yourselves solely with an Atronach.”

             "What if we can’t control it?”

             “Than I guess it’s good I am also a master of healing.” Jinki smirked when the young students gasped. “Please don’t worry. No harm will come to you other than maybe your hair standing on end if you have it. Now, I am going to show you the simple form to create electricity. Then you’ll practice, turning away from each other and shooting it through the pillar openings around the room. Understood?”

             When the students murmured their understanding, Jinki slid his feet into position, raising his hand flat with his fingers pointing out. He breathed through his nose, eyes sliding closed as the crackle filled the hair, before it shot over the students' heads, causing them all to duck with a shriek. Jonghyun giggled behind his hand as Jinki stood with both hands on his hips. “It was nearly ten feet from the tallest of ya, please stop being dramatic. That’s my thing.”

              A short Nord girl stepped forward and Jonghyun was surprised to see a fellow Nord surrounded by magic. “Can you show us any other abilities you know?”

             “As in what, Soria?”

             “Wall of Storms, maybe.”

             “Ah, that’s quite a fun one.” Jinki nodded, “Alright, just don’t move. This will hurt you if you touch it.”

             Jonghyun was just as amazed as the novice mages watching Jinki create sparks at his feet. With each deep breath, they rose and fell, gaining strength before it shot out from either side of him, crackling as it traveled across the stone of the floor. When he lowered his arms and opened his eyes there was a bright line of sizzling electricity around the circumference of the inner circle of the room. He clapped his hands together and just like that it was gone, the only remnants of it occurring were the scorch marks on the stone.

---

             The soft clack as Jinki used the mortar and pestle was the only sound in the room other than their gentle breathing. Dinner had been eaten not too long ago, but Jinki had moved to work on his potions right as he was done. Jonghyun leaned against the wall, arms across his chest as he held the blanket around his shoulders tightly. “What are you making?”

             “Potions that replenish my energy for magic.” Was his soft reply, barely louder than the stone scraping as he used his stool to grind up red mountain flower and dwarven oil. “If I use more powerful spells for an extended period of time, my energy is too low to cast even the smallest flame.”

             “So if you had no energy you’d be powerless?”

             Jinki paused only for a moment as he pressed his lips together before continuing his twisting motion. “I suppose so.”

             “Interesting.”

             “Why do you ask?”

             “I was wondering if you were working on the ones for me.”

             The mortar was placed on the Alchemy table softly as Jinki lifted his gaze to find Jonghyun’s. “Are you planning to leave soon?”

             "Relatively.” He shuffled on his feet, a little awkward with the shift in the room. “I was on the way to see my mother when you made the agreement with me. I miss her.”

             “Ah,” Jinki ran his tongue over his lips quickly before cracking his knuckles gently. “I’ll have them ready by morning for whenever you leave, Jonghyun.”

             He opened his mouth to say something but decided to simply say, “Thank you,” Before turning to his right and finding his way to the bed and out of Jinki’s line of sight.

-----