Chapter 2~

Eventide

             Jinki was leaning against a thick tree, arms crossed as he casually ate his papaya. He smiled, incredibly amused as Jonghyun struggled to start a fire as the setting sun was quickly disappearing on the horizon. “Do you need assistance?”

             Jonghyun glared up at him, grumbling as he wiped his forehead. “No, I got this.”

             “All you’re doing is making a scent that’ll keep the wildlife away.” He pushed off the tree as his hand fell from his lips, papaya still held in his grip. Flames appeared around his other hand, swirling around as he lifted it from his side. “Come on, it’s almost dark. You can redeem your pride tomorrow night, I promise.”

             Defeated, Jonghyun fell back into the leaves and dirt, glaring as he waved his hand for Jinki to continue. “Just, don’t burn everything down.”

             “Are you questioning my aim, Mr. Swing at everything and hope one of my strikes hit?” Jinki shot a little flame straight at the pile of dried leaves in the middle of the stones they collected as he sat down on the log he had found when they decided to stop for the night.

            “You weren’t complaining about how I fight back with the spider.”

            “I thought we agreed those gross things wouldn’t be discussed again.” It wasn’t a question, and with the flames still present in his palm. Jonghyun pressed his lips together and let the topic go. Then the fire was put out, and he worked on eating his piece of fruit.

           “Are mages vegetarian?” Jonghyun quietly asked after ripping off a piece of jerky.

           “Some, I would take a gander that they would be statistically,” Jinki hummed, “If you’re referring to myself, then no, I’m not.”

           “I’ve just never seen you eat meat.”

           “We’ve only known each other for three days Jonghyun.”

           “Mm, good point.”

            After a few more bites and wiping his mouth with a cloth from his bag Jinki quipped, “And you missed killing that hare.”

           “Well, I didn’t want you to burn it to a crisp!”

           Jinki sighed, focusing on the last bit of his fruit. “I do have other powers you know. I just prefer fire.”

          “Mm, don’t you all,” Jonghyun mumbled.

           He almost didn’t catch it. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

           “Nothing.” Jonghyun moved to lay on his bedroll, chewing on his jerky and staring up at the sky. Jinki pressed his lips together before grabbing his book from his bag, raising his hand to produce a soft floating light, and quietly began to read. The quiet sounds of the woods as night completely fell were interrupted when Jonghyun spoke again. “I’d like to stop in Windhelm.”

          Jinki rose his gaze, finger brushing against the corner of the page he was reading. “Alright. It’s on the way.”

          “You aren’t going to ask why?”

          “I have no business to.” He hummed, closing the cover of the book with his right hand still flat against the pages to hold his place for the time being. “Do you wish me to?”

          Jonghyun was lifted up onto an elbow, to his side, and the fire illuminated him as the flames flickered. “It delays your quest. I figured you’d want to know why to see if you deem it worth it.”

          Jinki laughed quietly, opening his book to continue reading as he commented, “We both know you don’t respect my opinion.”

          And he was right, so Jonghyun just pressed his lips together and rolled over to try and sleep. Jinki’s gaze lifted, watching his back for a moment as a frown pulled at his lips. He wasn’t sure what he had done for the warrior to dislike him, but he could feel the animosity coming toward him in waves. He hoped he could figure out why by the end of this.

—-

          “Good ole Whiterun.” Jonghyun softly stated as they walked through the big wooden doors.

          Jinki rose his hands to gently curl around his hood, pushing it back from the top of his head. The sun was high in the sky for such an early morning. “Let’s get supplies and move on. I want to make some more ground before nightfall.”

         “Can’t we just stay the night here?”

         “Why?”

          "I like sleeping in beds any chance I can.” Jonghyun gave him a goofy smile, “Besides, I want to explore the city. I basically grew up here.”

           Jinki squinted suspiciously. “I thought you said you grew up in Riverwood.”

          “I was born there yes, but Grandpa always rode up here when he wished to buy things the local merchants didn’t and I remember running these streets way past sunset.” Jonghyun hummed, “Like the sweet rolls Mama likes.”

           With a deep sigh, Jinki gave in. “Fine, but we’re leaving first thing in the morning.”

           Jonghyun was almost running toward the inn before he was even done speaking.

—-

            Dragonsreach, the castle of Whiterun’s Jarl, loomed before him as he made it over the last step. If he was correct, the court mage' quarters would be in the keep, and it would be nice to see if they had anything of interest to him for sale. The guards watched him closely as he walked further into the place, taking the steps and looking around. The Jarl wasn’t sitting on his throne, but after a quick survey, Jinki could see the mage in a room to the right. As he stepped into the rooms the woman raised her head, and she was quick to bow it again. “Archmage~ I wasn’t told you’d be visiting.”

            Jinki shook his hands with a kind smile. “No need for formalities my dear. I’m on my way back up to the College and thought I’d see what you have for sale. Maybe even ask you about your research.”

            “Oh- I.” The young girl nervously giggled. “Wow, the Archmage asking me about my research.”

            “I remember teaching you how to control your power when you learned how to produce flames.”

             She dipped her head, shy, and almost embarrassed. “I promise I still remember.”

             “You wouldn’t be the court mage if you weren’t qualified, my dear.” Jinki smiled softly, “Now about that research.”

—-

             He found Jonghyun by the fire in the inn sometime after the sun had set. By the looks of him and the sound of his voice, the man had at least a few ales in his system. After paying for his own room, a loaf of bread and a drink, he made his way over to sit across from him. Jonghyun squinted, trying to make out his form in the flames. When he recognized him his face bloomed almost. “Magey!”

            Okay, maybe more than a few. “It seems you’ve been enjoying your night Jonghyun.”

            “Mmmm maybe a bit too much, but,” He reached behind his back as if reaching for his ax that was no longer there. A pout formed on his lips. “I guess I left my ax in my room.”

            “What about your ax is so important you wish to tell me?” Jinki asked as he pulled off a piece of his bread loaf.

            “I sharpened it at the blacksmith.” His words were slurred, face flushed so easily seen even in the dim light of the inn. “Ssssso sharp.”

            “I think it’s time for you to get some rest.”

            “But I’m not done with my ale~”

            “You can take it with you.”

            “Can I?”

            “Yes.”

            “Will you mm help me to my room?” Jonghyun was permanently squinting. “This place is spinning. Did you know this place is spinning, Jinki?”

            “Mm, yes completely.” Jinki rolled his eyes before standing up. He downed his drink quickly and stuffed his bread into his bag. Once it was over his shoulder he rounded the firepit to hoist Jonghyun to his feet. The man clung to him desperately. “Where is your room?”

            “Mm, far one to the right of the bar.” Jonghyun softly explained, breath smelling of meat and old ale. “It has a red flower vase next to it.”

            Sure enough, there was, and as soon as the man had been laid in bed, Jinki tossed the blanket over him. “Try not to get sick everywhere. There’s a bucket under the bed.”

            “Mm, yes, bucket.”

            Jinki was just about to step out of the door when his eyes squeezed shut. He let out a frustrated breath before turning and slamming the door close. He pulled out his bedroll and leaned against the wall, getting his bread and canteen to eat. He couldn’t leave Jonghyun alone this drunk. Even being a slight as he was, Jinki knew he’d never forgive himself if something happened to the poor bloke. He did, however, owe him his room fee.

—-

            In the morning Jonghyun’s head was pounding. He felt like he could hear smells at the point. Hearing the sound of wood scraping against wood he turned, a little panicked, only to see Jinki sitting at the small desk provided in the room eating his breakfast. “What the hell are you doing in my room?”

            Jinki didn’t even look up as he said, “Good morning to you too Jonghyun.”

            “You didn’t answer my question.”

            “That was a question?” Jinki finally glanced up, flipping a page in his book with his left hand as he ate with his right. “Sounded more like a demand to me.”

            “Jinki!”

            “Don’t yell at me.” Jinki calmly returned to his book. “You got drunk off your and against my better judgment I stayed to make sure you didn’t choke in your sleep.” After a moment he continued. “You’re welcome.”

            “Oh.”

            Jinki hummed, “Yeah, oh. Do you want breakfast? I’d eat it before it gets any colder.”

            It was then Jonghyun looked to his left, seeing the plate of food for him. After pressing his lips together, trying to forget how much of an he’s been, he wiggled to sit up against the headboard and began to eat. When he looked at Jinki again he noticed he didn’t have his robes on. “What the .”

            “Hmm?”

            “Where are your robes?” Jonghyun’s nose scrunched up. “I feel like I’m seeing you .”

            Jinki snorted lightly. “I do own other things besides my robe. It’s just enchanted to help my powers.”

            “It’s… weird.”

            After closing his book and turning a little Jinki asked, amused, “It’s a heavy thing. I hate wearing it during the summer season.”

            “So… Weird.” He whispered. Jinki just laughed at him. Jonghyun tried to not look at his arms too long, but the thought of how a mage had such toned arms kept nagging at him.

—-

3 weeks later

            “Come on. It’s just one dwemer ruins.” Jonghyun almost whined, arm held out at the looming structure. “Think about the stuff that is inside this place and it looks completely untouched.”

            “I don’t doubt that it may be untouched,” Jinki’s gaze lowered back to Jonghyun’s face, “But, we both know that dwemer ruins are full of operational mechanicals. They’re also always forever long.”

            “There’s probably some type of long-forgotten book in there.” He tried to reason. “I may have only known you for a few weeks, but you’re a book enthusiast.”

            Jinki squinted at him, before sighing and moved to climb the staircase as he gathered his robes into his hands to prevent himself from stepping on it. Jonghyun beamed, the smile almost as big as his face as the mage grumbled. “You’re lucky I enjoy knowledge.”

            “Don’t get your skirt in a twist.” Jonghyun snorted when Jinki glared at him from his spot at the top of the stairs. “It is a skirt.”

            “It’s a robe.”

            “Uh huh.” A frown formed on his lips when he realized the front door of the place was locked. He turned, “Got any lockpicks?”

            “How do you not have any?”

            “Used too many on a chest when I was too drunk on ale to really see straight,” Jonghyun answered easily. “So, lockpicks?”

            Jinki rolled his eyes and reached into his pocket, laying the knife and lockpick for the man to use in the outstretched palm. “Don’t break it. That’s the only one you’re getting before we continue on our way.”

            “You sound like a mom.” Jonghyun laughed quietly to himself. “Scolding me for not lockpicking properly.”

            Before Jinki could retort, the lock clicked, and the ancient metal groaned as he pushed the door open. Inside was dark past the bit where the light from the sun shined through the open door. Jinki smiled as he waved Jonghyun through. “After you.”

            Pulling his ax from his back he grumbled, “What am I, your all-purpose meat shield?”

            “Basically.” Jinki softly replied, fire already swirling around his fingers as the magelight he created floated just before Jonghyun. “Like you said, I’m soft.”

            The clanking of metal and the hissing of steam caused the banter between them to grow silent. Soon enough a Dwarven Sphere rolled from the shadows. Jonghyun was quick to block their attack against Jinki, pushing them back. He froze for a moment as Jinki’s flames shot past his ear, hitting the sphere dead center. After a few more hits the sphere crumbled into it’s various parts. After kicking through the pieces Jonghyun turned to Jinki, “Do you want any of this?”

            “Just the oil.”

            “The oil?” Jonghyun rummaged a bit more before curling his fingers around the circular contraption. “What do you need the oil for?”

            “Of course I want the oil,” Jinki grinned as the little container was handed to him. “It’s used for a lot of my more.. Useful potions.”

            “Do I even want to know what that means?”

            Jinki turned to search an adjacent room in an almost too dramatic swirl of his robes. “Probably not.”

            The gem was deep blue and was cool to the touch in Jinki’s hands. He put it into his bag along with the history book he found and a few plants in the separate pouch. After they had found the large, domed room, they had split up to investigate the different rooms. The quiet of the ruins is shattered as the hissing of steam began. Gears roaring to life after centuries of being immobile. Slowly Jinki turned, to see Jonghyun standing in the middle of the larger room holding the sword that had been in the large contraption just to the right of him. He yells then, a little out of frustration, and to just be heard over the creaking of the newly awoken metal. “What did you do Jonghyun?”

            Jonghyun attempts to hide the sword in his hands behind his back, as he nervously says. “Pillaging?”

            Jinki whips around when he hears the crashing, and curses as the metal spider begun to attack him. Quickly, ice is shot, trying to slow the contraption down enough for him to get far enough away to hit them with something more powerful. He runs, full sprint until he’s a few steps from Jonghyun, looking around the room at the amassing foes. As the dozen or so dwemer protectors came closer Jinki hissed, “You just had to touch the sword.”

            “It was glowing!”

            “Number one rule of raiding ancient ruins,” Jinki growled, “Don’t touch the items that are glowing in the huge, domed ceiling room.”

            “Stop yapping at me and think of a plan.”

            “A plan?” Jinki exclaimed, baffled. “Why do I need to think of a plan?”

            “You’re the brains of this operation.” Jonghyun hissed.

            “Who pulls out a sword knowing it’s probably rigged WITHOUT A PLAN.” And then it sparked. “Stay close and don’t press out too far.”

            Jonghyun slowly stepped back until they were pressed against each other. He looked over his right shoulder, “What’s the plan?”

            “Hopefully these things don’t like lightning.” Jinki closed his eyes, taking a deep breath as he felt the power fill him.

            “Well,” Jonghyun hummed, sounding slightly panicked. “Whatever you’re doing, I’d do it fast. They’re so close I can feel the steam.”

            He also felt his hair begin to rise on his arms and the back of his neck as sparks began to grow from Jinki’s hands. Just before he let the power go, he calmly stated, “I’d just like to remind you, this was your damn idea.”

            As the thunderstorm crackled and boomed from his fingertips, Jonghyun ducked his head and squeezed his eyes shut to avoid the bright light. And then the crackling stopped and all that could be heard was Jinki’s heavy breathing and the sound of metal collapsing. Nervously, Jonghyun rose his head, opening his eyes and his lips parted in surprise. Every single one of their attackers was in pieces, their parts in a circle about a foot away from them. His attention fell on Jinki, standing behind him. His eyes were open, hair blow into his face, and his hands were still smoking a little from where he had them raised. Jonghyun blinked rapidly. Impressed and slightly terrified of the man. “Could you do that this entire time?”

            “Yes,” Jinki ran his hands through his hair before brushing off his robes. He leaned down to rummage through the remains of the metal protectors. “What did you want me to do, shock a deer to death?”

            “Well, no, I just-” Jonghyun pressed his lips together. “You’re a lot more powerful than I pinned you as.”

            Jinki smirked, rising with another tiny container of oil. “I know.”

            “And you didn’t think to enlighten me?”

            He shrugged, moving onto the next to find oil. “I can create thunderstorms and walls of fire. Create giant ice creatures that protect me.”

            “Wait, what?”

            “Like a Frost Atronach.” Jinki gestured with his hands. “This big, little faces. Blue and made of ice.”

            “You could literally make an ice man and you let me get hit by Falmer and dwemer spheres all morning?”

            “I was helping you your ego.” Jinki smiled over his shoulder, “It worked, didn’t it?”

            Jonghyun just grumbled as he moved to pick up his glowing sword.  It sure was pretty. Jinki shook his head and returned to the room he had been searching for when they had been attacked. There were a few mushrooms underneath the table where the soil had come up through the crack in the ancient stone floor. And then he saw the skid marks along the floor as if a door swung open. Curious, he searched for some type of rock to push, running his fingers over the stones of the wall. When he didn’t find one he took a step back and found the outline of the secret door.

            “What are you doing?”

            Jonghyun’s voice breaking the eerie silence made him jump, a curse flying from his lips. “Don’t sneak up on me like that.”

            “I jingle as I move.” To prove his point he shimmied a little. “Not my fault you were spaced out.”

            “To answer your question, I’m looking for what makes the secret door open.”

            “Secret door?” Jonghyun perked up.

            Jinki waved his hands in the general direction, brows furrowing as he focused his attention on other parts of the room. And then the torch on the wall caught his attention. The light was encased in woven metal, and for all intended purposes, it shouldn’t still be lit. Going on his hunch he curled his fingers around the lip and pulled, and sure enough, it slid down, causing the door to begin to swing open. Lights around the room began to flicker on as Jinki stepped in, hands raised just in case something appeared. Dwemer ruins were full of old, powerful traps. When nothing jumped out, he lowered his hands and gave the room a good look around. That’s when he saw it. The book was up on a pedestal, thick pages with a heavy duty binding. He ran his hand over the cover carefully, a huge smile forming on his face as he read the title. “Seems this little side quest of yours panned out well for me.”

            Told you there was some old, dusty book in here.”

            “Yeah, yeah.” Jinki wiggled it into his bag before shouldering it. “Let’s get out of here before you find something else that’ll really get us killed.”

            “I’m never living this down, am I?”

            “Nope.”

—–