The Chase

You are my star

The red sign of the operation turned off. Precisely and carefully, the operation team cleaned up their equipment and prepared to transfer the patient to the recovery room. When the nurses were doing their job, the main surgeon excused herself to the scrub room. Once she entered the room, she was greeted by a fellow doctor, who was in the white blouse, leaning her back on the wall. Her wavy black hair adorned the round, chubby and white face of a cute baby adult. Although her facial expression was serious, her eyes reflected the concern she had for her friend. The surgeon took off her surgical mask and hat, throwing both of them into the trash bin before washing her hand throughoutly in the faucet. Her silky light pink hair could not cover her elegant and beautiful face of a princess.

 

“How was the operation?”

“Tiring. He managed to survive tonight. But I don’t know how much time he has left.”

 

The surgeon answered exhaustingly. After drying her hands with the tissue, she put on her white blouse hanging on the wall and then walked out of the room along with her friend. The doctor, who was slightly shorter than the pink-haired surgeon, patted her friend’s shoulder gently.

 

“You have done your best, Haneul-ah. Dr. Park will handle the rest. He is his patient, not yours so don’t mind about it too much. You just happen to be the only surgeon on duty tonight.”

 

“I know.” SinB combed her pink hair with her slim fingers smoothly and tied it into a high ponytail. “I’m just exhausted. Night operations are never my fave. And because of this, I missed my movie night with Eunha-unnie.”

 

“You mean Sooyeon-unnie? Wow.” The black-haired doctor paused as some nurses walked pass them and bowed at them. She greeted them back before continued her conversation. “Although I’ve been your friends through many years in the medical university, I can’t stop being amazed how close both of you are. Are you sure you two are just childhood friends?”

“W-What are you implying?”

 

The pink-haired girl blushed at the statement, which made her friend giggle at the rare sight. After all, they were Kim Yewon and Oh Haneul, as known as SinB, the famous young geniuses of Seoul Central Hospital. The young girls passed the medical entrance exam when they were fifteen and became classmates. Because of their intelligence, both of them graduated at the age of twenty and started their careers in the biggest hospital in Seoul. When Yewon chose to be a neurologist, SinB was a cardiothoracic surgeon. Although they were working in the different wards, both of them maintained their close friendship, occasionally visiting each other during breaks and hanging out during their day-offs. Besides Eunha and her biological family, Yewon was the only person SinB could open her heart fully. Yewon was the only person who could see the different side of the famous Ice Princess, the true self of a beagle.

 

“You know, when we hanged out, you kept talking about her like a teenage girl talking about her crush. You two even have nicknames for each other, which I’ve never seen anyone else use them.”

 

“First of all, I did tell you to call me SinB, but only when we’re alone and not at work.” The pink-haired sighed quietly. “And I’m just a little upset that we haven’t been able to spend time together. Both of us are busy with our works. And lately, I noticed that Eunha-unnie is more anxious and stressed than usual. I tried to talk to her but she just brushed it away and told me to not worry about it... Yewonie, she is someone really important to me, more than my family, more than just a childhood friend. Seeing her like that hurts me a lot...”

 

Seeing the distressed look on the girl's face, the black-haired doctor her friend’s back tenderly. As they approached a vending machine in the hallway, Yewon bought two cans of black coffee and offered one to the taller girl.

 

“Here. My treat. You will need it to survive the night.”

“Thanks, Yewonie...” SinB smiled weakly and accepted the drink.

“I know Sooyeon-unnie cares deeply about you. I’m pretty sure that she just doesn’t want to bother you more since she knows how stressful your work already is. I believe she will talk to you about her problems once she is ready.”

 

The pink-haired girl exhaled, nodding softly in agreement. She opened the can and drank it while her hand dug into her blouse’s pocket. After a moment of searching, she realized she forgot her personal phone. She must have left it in her office. Suddenly, her working phone in the other pocket vibrated violently. She fetched the phone. A text message was sent by the reception, summoning her to come immediately. Seeing SinB’s brows furrowed, Yewon took a glance at the text, had some questions for her own.

 

“It must be an emergency. The message sounds really urgent. Shouldn’t you check it out?”

“When I expect to have a chilling night during a snowstorm, they just don’t want to give me a break.” SinB sighed, quickly finishing her drink before heading toward the reception table.

“Don’t worry. I’ll come with you. I’ve finished my checkup round already so I have nothing to do.”

“Thanks a lot, buddy.”

 

SinB wrapped her arm around the shorter girl’s shoulder while they were heading toward the main entrance of the hospital. Once they reached the last corner before they saw the reception table, the pink-haired girl suddenly stopped by the strange noise. She decided to pull Yewon with her and hid behind the wall. The shorter girl was confused and nervous as she also realized that there were more people than she expected. Sneakily glancing behind the wall, SinB saw there were at least ten masked guys, dressing in black soldier uniforms. One of them was having an argument with the receptionist. She could not see any rifles but the pink-haired was sure that they all carried guns. Biting her lips nervously, she detected the symbol on those guys’ sleeves. The blue hawk. It was the worst case she had always feared of. Quickly dragging Yewon away, who still did not have any clue about the situation, SinB tried to run as fast as possible.

 

“Haneul-ah, why are we running? And who are those guys?”

“I don’t have time to explain the details but they’re here for me.”

 

SinB picked up her pace as she heard a faint noise of footsteps coming right behind them. Once they reached another corner in the building, she released the girl’s hand and instructed her to go in the opposite direction.

 

“What? Why?”

“They’re coming for me, Yewonie. You have nothing to do with my problem. Just run away and pretend you don’t have any relation to me then you’ll be safe from them.”

“How can I leave my best friend alone? What if they kill you?”

“Please, listen to me, Yewonie. This is far more complicating than you think. They will kill whoever around me. I’ve lost many people that I loved. I can’t lose you too. Just go. You deserve a normal life.”

“Screw it. I’ll never leave my friend alone. I’ll go and try to call Sooyeon-unnie and the police. And I’ll come back for you. Mark my words.” Yewon stomped away. However, she glanced back at the pink-haired girl briefly before leaving. “You better stay alive or I’ll kill you myself, Oh Haneul.”

 

Watching the shorter girl running away, SinB chuckled softly, feeling grateful for having such a great friend like Yewon. But the footsteps woke her up once again, she rushed upstairs, heading toward her office. Once she was inside, she locked the door and searched for her phone inside her backpack. SinB unlocked her phone, a missed call popped up on the screen. It was from Eunha. The pink-haired immediately dialed the older girl’s number as she listened carefully through the door for any incoming guys. After a few rings, a panicking high-pitched voice answered.

 

“SinB-ah? Is that you?”

“Yes, it’s me, Eunha-unnie. They are here, at the hospital.”

“Where are you now?”

“In my office. Yewon is out to call for help.”

“Get out of there, SinB-ah. We’re coming for you.”

 

At that moment, SinB heard the footsteps coming toward her office. Louder and louder every seconds.

 

“Damn it. They’re here already. I can’t go out.”

 

Pinching the phone between her ear and her shoulder, Sinb pushed her working table to block the door, hopefully buying her some time more. She heard some faint yells on the phone, mostly coming from Eunha who was urging someone to go faster. The pink-haired girl was surprised to find that Eunha was with someone but she did not have time to think about it anymore. She opened the window in her office and looked down. Fortunately, she asked the hospital managers to give her an office on the second floor. There was a narrow edge in between her floor and the ground floor, enough for one person to stand there.

 

“I found a way out. I’ll have to hang up now, unnie.”

“OK. Meet us at the West entrance. We’re almost there. Stay alive until we get you.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll meet you there in one piece.”

 

SinB ended the call and put the phone inside her jeans’ pocket. She took off her blouse and climbed over the window frame. Looking down at the ground about ten meters below, she gulped quietly. Knocks coming from the door and some masculine voice demanded her surrender.

 

Wasting no more time, she stepped down the edge and skirted through the outer wall carefully. After a few steps, she kneeled down to grab on the edge with both of her hands. Tightening her grip on the solid surface, she jumped off the edge with her hand holding on the edge, supporting her weight. She hovered in the air for a few seconds to steady her posture before she let go and landed softly on the ground beneath. She rolled a few rounds to prevent herself from getting hurt by the height and gravity. Casting off the dust on her clothes, SinB once again ran away at full speed, as she heard some yelling coming from her office. Years of practicing parkour really paid off, SinB mentally reminded herself to keep up with her exercise no matter how busy she was once she got out of this trouble. She jumped over fences and any obstacles on her way without slowing down. Her office was in the East wing of the hospital so she needed to speed up in order to get away from the guys pursuing her.

 

Gunfires echoed everywhere, SinB managed to dodge all the bullets coming at her with her speed and parkour. She evaded the guys trying to tackle her by climbing and jumping from walls to walls. She tried to avoid crowded place since there were lots of patients staying overnight in the hospital. However, no matter how athletic she was, she still had the stamina of a girl. And the long day of work really burned all of her strength. She was panting hard and her legs were trembling from all the hard running and jumping. When she was only 30 meters away from the west entrance, SinB halted as she heard a familiar yelp, coming along with a deep male voice behind her back.

 

“Stop right there, Hwang Eunbi. Or else I’ll kill your friend.”

 

The pink-haired girl clenched her teeth in anger, cursing quietly under her breath. The man ordered her to face him, which she obeyed and slowly, carefully turned around. Once she faced the man, her brows twitched in anger as she saw Yewon was head locked by a big guy with a black mask and sunglasses. The young doctor struggled from the strong grip around her neck but failed. Tears already formed on her round eyes. She was scared but she still tried to stay as calm as possible. She looked at SinB, trading eye contact to beg the pink-haired girl to run away when she still could. Understanding that, SinB smiled reassuring the girl, slowly shaking her head as she coldly looked at the man. The mocking smirk behind the thin mask really got on her nerve.

 

“Finally, I got you now, Hwang Eunbi.”

“Let Yewon go. She has nothing to do with this.”

“That’s what you think.” The man laughed evilly as he tightened his grip on the young girl’s neck, almost choking her with his muscular arm. “This girl is also one of our main targets. It’s just lucky that you two are in the same place. Convenient, huh?”

 

SinB was bewildered. She stared at the dark orbs reflecting uneasiness. Unconsciously, Yewon bit her lower lip, avoiding the intensive gaze from the pink-haired girl. The young surgeon gripped her fists tightly. She did not understand a thing. Yewon was hiding something from her. She knew the Organization. They had been seeking for one thing. And SinB was the only one who possessed what they wanted. What would they want from a mere human like Yewon?

 

Kim Yewon was her best friend, her only human friend. The girl knew almost everything about her, resulting in that they took no time to get close together when they first met each other. She noticed that the girl’s face looked similar to someone they knew before. However, living in this for 600 years, SinB learned that people looking like each other was not an unusual thing anymore. Yewon had been always a kind and generous friend to her. A sincere and smart girl. How comes such an innocent girl like her would be involved in her dark life like this?

 

At that moment, two other guys approached SinB, locking her arms behind her back. She tried to break off but her stamina was drained, plus the guys were stronger than her. Although it was hopeless, she could not just give up yet. Not after what she and Eunha had been through for so long. Bending at the waist, she pulled the guy behind her forward by her weight. When the guy was stumbling, using all her remaining strength, SinB headbutted the guy hard. Her arms were released enough for her to make a round kick on the other guy, knocking down both of them. As she was about to rescue Yewon, the girl was apprehended by two different guys. The one before was nowhere to be found. Before she could move her feet, SinB felt a sharp pain on her nape. Her vision suddenly became blurry.

 

“You’re really a contrarious girl. Refuse a toast only to be forced to drink a forfeit.”

 

Soon later, her whole body felt weak she bit by bit lost her consciousness. She collapsed on the ground, her eyelids felt so heavy. Before she completely lost her sense, she heard Yewon calling her name desperately.

 

“Yewonie... Eunha-unnie... Yerin-unnie... I’m sorry...”