The Past

You are my star

Running through the burning leaves butches in a small village far in the northern region of Korea, two young girl in hanboks was outstanding from the paranoid scene of the villagers spreading everywhere, trying to save their lives. The shorter one pulled the taller one by her wrist, guiding them to avoid any incoming flame arrows coming at them. Their raven hair were both stained by ashes and dust. Their once pale skin was now covered with dried blood and soil.

 

A few arrows flew toward the girls, which were blocked immediately by an invisible force field as the shorter girl waved her hand up. More were coming at them, driving them to take cover behind a half-demolished hutch. Assisting the taller girl to sit down, leaning on the hutch gently, the shorter girl turned around and quickly knocked off a few masked assassins approaching them. Her bobbed cut hair swayed in the air, soaked in blood and sweat. She sent them flying away as far as possible. However, a few stubborn enemies always found their ways back to her, giving her no choice but to rip their heads off their body with her inhuman strength.

 

“U-unnie...”

 

A weak and breathless voice called out for her, capturing the bobbed-hair girl’s attention. Doved next to the girl, the shorter girl stared at the deep stain of blood on the other girl’s hanbok around the abdominal area. The taller breaths were shallow and heavy. Her hand was pressing onto her big wound on her belly but the bleeding was getting worse. Her complexion was losing its color and warmth as every single second passed. A pair of crimson orbs connected with her black ones, reflecting guilt and pain. Shaking her head in a slow motion, the taller girl smiled weakly at the other girl. Her hand found its way to the girl’s gorgeous face, caressing the mochi-like cheek that she loved to tease the girl about. The bobbed-hair girl gently held the hand on her face that was losing its strength. Her lips trembled, holding back a painful sob.

 

“I’m sorry SinB-ah... I’m really sorry... I failed again...”

“No unnie...” The taller whispered in consolation. “It’s... never... been... your fault...”

 

More assassins came, interrupting their moment. The bobbed-hair girl roared in frustration. Tears ran down her cheeks like a waterfall as she executed anyone coming within her range, did not even care about her non-killing policy anymore. Seeing her beloved sister was in a rage, SinB sighed quietly, feeling hopeless and grey. How long had it been like this? How long had she seen this side of her? She was supposed to be a cute bunny. Not a bloodthirsty maniac. Eunha was her dear friend, her only beloved person left in the world. And it was because of her, the older girl suffered the outcome from this meaningless and endless loop.

 

Lazily turning her head to her side, just a meter away from her lied a bloody body of a young girl. Several wounds from arrows were visible on her stained hanbok. Her messy long black hair was covered half of her face. She was gasping for air, as she was dying. Her teary eye stared at SinB, desperately begging for help. Dragging her injured body closer to the girl on the ground difficultly, SinB gently tugged away the girl’s hair with her least dirty hand, revealing a cute round face of a beauty. Smiling guiltily, SinB whispered her apology sincerely to the anonymous girl.

 

“I’m sorry... You’re supposed... to have... a bright future... ahead of you... With a good husband... having kids... It’s my fault... that you lost everything...”

 

Gripping strongly on her wound, SinB groaned painfully while her blood kept pouring onto her hand. She caught it with her hand, raising the pool of blood in front of the girl’s shaky lips.

 

“Drink it... It’s my compensation... for all of your loss...”

 

The girl did not say anything as she did not have any strength left. She was dying. She was desperately wanting to live. Therefore, without a second thought, she accepted the warm rusty liquid into , flowing down . If this was her only chance to survive, she would accept anything. However, the anonymous girl soon lost her consciousness after the liquid entered her system, lying there motionlessly. SinB sighed in relief, the girl’s hair for one last time before her body lost its strength. She collapsed on the ground, staring at the starry sky. Her vision became blurry from all the blood loss. She heard a faint noise but she could not hear it clearly anymore. She saw Eunha rushing to her side. TIme already ran out. She smiled once last time to the older girl, silently wishing for the older girl’s safety.

 

“See you later... Eunha-unnie...”

 

 

 

 

***********************************************

 

 

 

The eyelids lazily opened themselves. The soft surface beneath her did a very good job to soothe her pain on her nape. Squinting her eyes to adjust the bright light in the room, the pink-haired girl tried to process her surrounding, as she just a dream of her past, when she should not have them for a long time already. She did not understand. Trying to recall her memory, she was in the hospital, having night shift with Yewon and then the Organization men found her. She tried to run away to meet up with Eunha until she was caught by them when they used Yewon as their hostage. Then one of them knocked her out cold. And next, she found herself lying on a soft bed, in a room. Her own room in Eunha’s villa. SinB was confused about how she got here in the first place.

 

Trying to move her numb body a little, the pink-haired girl then finally noticed a light weight on her lower body. She looked down, astonished by a sight of a soft slim arm wrapping securely around her waist. Disbelief and uncertainness, her gaze followed the limp, a slim toned body dressing in shorts and a white tank top lying just a few inches next to her. She could feel the warmth from the milky skin on her own. Her heart beat quickly as she noticed the familiar features. White and mochi-like skin. Long slim legs. Soft yet strong arms which she used to be addicted to sleep in every nights when she was just a little girl. And that blond hair, why did she feel so weak when she saw those locks of silky blond hair? Her heart was racing as her black orbs met the ambers. gaped at the sight. Her slim fingers shakily touched the warm skin as if she could not trust her eyes anymore. Gently, she traced her fingers on the face, drawing all the glory of a certain beauty that she had always been wanting to see again. Tender and caring golden orbs. Tall and proud nose. Creamy flower petal lips. The pedals curled up into a passionate smile as the ambers formed into crescent moons that had always been in her memory in the past 600 years.

 

SinB felt her cheeks were soaked. Unconsciously and constantly, her tears were racing down, staining the white sheet. Happy. Relief. Misery. Anger. She was overwhelmed by her own emotions. Her mind went blank. Her fingers moved up and down, tracing, feeling the contact. She wanted to believe it. Even if this was another dream of hers, she did not want to wake up yet. The warmth she had been longing was too real for her to stay in her right senses.

 

“Even in my dream... why are you still so beautiful, Yerin-unnie?”

“Am I only beautiful in your dream, SinB-ah?” asked Yerin curiously.

“No... You’ve been always gorgeous. The prettiest girl I have ever met in my life... But now I can only see you in my dreams.”

 

Twitching her brows a little, Yerin chuckled softly. She snuggled closer to the young girl, tightening her arm around the girl’s waist as she let the girl get swamped in her warmth.

 

“Tell me, SinB-ah. Does this feel like a dream to you?”

“No... But every time I convinced myself like that, I was always disappointed when I woke up in Eunha-unnie’s arms. It would be the same thing this time.”

 

Furrowed her brows again, Yerin mentally reminded herself to have a talk with Eunha after this. She was too eager to be able to meet her beloved sister once again, after many years. And yet the girl did not believe her. She did not accept Yerin’s return yet. It was more difficult than Yerin thought. Although Eunha did warn her about this, considering all the toughness and misery the young girl had been through, Yerin would never expect it to be like this. Remembering their childhood, Yerin shortened the distance between their faces. Passionately and delicately, she placed a loving kiss on the girl’s left eyelid. Where the eyepatch given by her late father used to be. Where the only proof of the existence of Hwang Eunbi lied beneath.

 

“I know I had broken many promises in the past. And I’m ashamed of it. But now, please give me a second chance to change it. I won’t leave you again. I’ll stay by your side all the time. And it won’t be a dream anymore as it will be always me whom you will see first every morning you wake up to.”

 

SinB’s heart was flustered by the sincere low voice. This greasiness. Eunha never said anything like that to her. She had her own way to show her love for the young girl but not this greasy. There was only one person in the world who could make her heart skip a beat by such words. Her tears were pouring out from the corner of her eyes once again, she cupped the girl’s cheeks with both of her hands, connecting their forehead together as their eyes never broke their gaze.

 

“Yerin-unnie... Please tell me that this is not a dream...”

“It’s not a dream. SinB-ah, I won’t go anywhere. I’m here for you.”

 

Her mental walls finally collapsed. All the misery and sorrow she had kept inside her poured out along with her sobs. Snuggling closer to the source of warmth, SinB let herself being weak for the first time in many years, crying out all of her pain in her heart. The blond girl let her cry into the crook of her neck, never mind about her clothed getting dirty from the tears. Her hand the girl’s back in a slow motion, soothing and reassuring. She planted several kisses on the crown of the pink hair, whispering consoling and sincere words like a lullaby to the girl. Gradually, the sobs were gone, replaced by steady breathing. Slightly looking down without breaking their embrace, Yerin smiled at the sight of a sleeping beauty in her arms. She noticed the unfamiliar scent of the girl. Not like Eunha, who had her appearance changed only, SinB’s scent was really bothering her. She could tell it was the Hwang Eunbi she knew. But something of the scent told her the opposite. Once again, she was left dumbfounded by the fact she had missed out so many things. What on earth had these girls been through?

 

Staying in the same position for a while, the door of the room was opened carefully, not making any sudden sound to wake the girl up. No need to turn around, Yerin already knew who was entering but she kept gazing dearly at the sleeping princess.

 

“I heard her sobs from outside. Everyone is worried.” Eunha said quietly, looking at the young girl sleeping soundly with puffy eyes.

“My return must be a misery to her.” Yerin chuckled bitterly. “I’ve caused so many pain to both of you. Too much that she welcomed me with her tears.”

 

Eunha bit her lips. Walking closer to the blond girl, she tapped the girl’s shoulder, soothing any doubts and guilts remaining in those ambers.

 

“She adores you more than anyone else. She’s been never good at handling her emotions and both of us know that really well. Give her more time then she will be back to the little Eunbi we used to know.”

 

The blond girl sighed, caressing the young girl’s cheek. Feeling the touch, SinB smiled in her sleep. The raven-haired girl was relieved by the scene. Their family had finally completed. She wanted to enjoy this moment longer, however, the reality did not allow her to relax anymore. The danger was getting closer. Judging from what happened last night, they did not have much time left to prepare for the next fight. Seeing the fondness love in those golden orbs, Eunha did not have the heart to break this moment. She was about to make her retreat until the blond girl gently broke the embrace without waking up the girl. She carefully tugged the girl inside the comfortable blanket then got off the bed. Taking the final glance at the sleeping girl, the blond girl then changed her expression into a serious one, following Eunha outside.

 

They closed the door then headed downstairs when they met up with three uneasy people who were wandering in their living room. The red-haired girl did not have any visible injuries. She just tiringly leaning back on the couch for a short nap after a long night. On the other hand, the senior detective suffered from a gunshot to her right forearm and a cut on her forehead as she had to fight a bunch of trained muscular guys in the hospital. The young doctor, who got caught up with the mess, was kind enough to patch up the purple-haired girl’s wounds. She was also worried about her best friend’s condition. That was why she offered her help and now was staying in Eunha’s residence along with the detectives. While finishing wrapping bandage around Sojung’s forehead, Yewon noticed the presence of the girls. She wanted to ask about SinB. But from the stern looks on both of the girls’ faces, she chose to keep her silence. The detectives were also alerted by the vampire girls. Yuna straightened her back to sit properly on the couch while Sojung just sat on the armchair, patiently waiting for the doctor to finish her job.

 

Sensing the questioning gazes from the other girls on herself, Eunha glanced at the blond girl beside her. Yerin was clearly not fond of having humans around her. Although she had been friendly to the humans, sharing the same ideology with her late father. However, after witnessing what happened to her race, her family, Eunha sympathized with her cousin’s hatred and grudge for the humans. Trust her visions, she knew that if they all wanted this misery to end, they needed to clear all the misunderstandings and work together. Patting the blond girl’s arm, Eunha then stepped forward, wearing her infamous poker face.

 

“SinB is fine now. She just has some mental shock from the incident but nothing serious.” The raven-haired girl then turned to the senior detective, showing her concern. “How do you feel, Sojung-ssi?”

“I’m fine, Sooyeon-ssi. I’ve suffered the worse. And Yewon is a really good doctor so you don’t have to worry.”

 

Sojung replied. However, her low voice suggested that they could not delay this matter any longer. Sighing heavily, Eunha tugged a lock of her hair behind her ear before continued.

 

“First of all, I really appreciate your help last night. To show you my gratitude, I’ll tell you everything I know up until now.” Inhaling deeply, Eunha explained in a steady and serious tone. “My name isn’t Park Sooyeon, which is written in my birth certificate. It’s a fake identity I created to hide my real one, Jung Eunbi. And this girl, the one who both of you rescued from the gang yesterday, is my cousin who had been prisoned inside the ice block for 600 years, Jung Yerin. As you have already been able to tell, we’re vampires.”

 

The raven-haired girl paused to observe the humans’ expressions. They took this better than she thought. All of them just stayed in their places quietly, concentrating on her speech. Gathering all her strength, she nonchalantly retold her story with SinB, both to the humans and to her cousin. And of course, she only told the story on her side. She intentionally left out SinB’s side of the story. She talked about their endless hide-and-seek with the Organization, about their method to hide among the humans, their greatest enemies.

 

Calmly digesting all the information, the experienced senior detective scratched her chin, a habit when she was in deep thought. The story was clear but it was too complicating. She still saw lots of things were missing in the girl’s story. The real purpose why the Organization was willing to spend all of their resources to capture one young girl alive, only for her blood? They could just easily kill her to prevent all the troubles and extracted her blood from her corpse. And even with a fake identity, it was almost impossible for both of them to be able to hide from the Organization through those years, considering how big influence they had to this world. The raven-haired girl was still hiding something from them.

 

Sojung darted her gaze to her partner and the young doctor. They showed a different emotion on their poker faces. The red-haired girl was unusual calm while the doctor was fidgeting uncomfortably. She then turned to the blond girl, who was clearly feeling guilty and hurtful after hearing the story. Knowing how close the relationship they were sharing, the detective understood the blond’s feelings. Even though they just met. Even though they knew nothing about each other. Even though they were from a different race. Both of them shared one thing. Their love and care for their beloved ones. However, it was not the time to be sensitive and emotional, Sojung cleared .

 

“So, let me get this straight, all we need to do is to prevent the Organization to lay their hands on... the younger Eunbi-ssi, am I correct?”

“Yes and no.” Eunha rubbed her nose bridge. “It’s true that SinB had been their only targets in the past. But not anymore. Lately, I did my own investigation and find out that they have alternative options to achieve their goals.” The crimson orbs landed their gaze onto the three humans. “That was why I said you’re already involved before you even realized it.”

 

Sojung was bewildered at first. Her brain seemed not to catch up with whatever was thrown at her, until a click occurred in her mind, waking her up completely.

 

“Don’t tell me... I’m also one of the targets?”

“Not you.” Eunha turned her judging gaze to the other two people, who immediately avoided her eye contact.

 

Sojung quickly followed the raven-haired girl’s gaze, staring at her partner in disbelief. The red-haired girl lowered her head in guilt, biting her lips as she felt the furious stare from the older girl. Not only Sojung, the blond girl was also surprised by the news. She never thought about how a mere human like Yuna and Yewon would be other potential targets of the Organization besides SinB. She would understand SinB’s case since she knew that the girl had always been really special. But for these two, whom she literally just met, Yerin could not find an answer to satisfy all of her messy questions inside her head.

 

As they were all having this eye battle, Yerin and Eunha suddenly sensed an unexpected presence behind their backs. Both of them turned around at the same time, nervously stared at the girl who was supposed to sleep in her room. The stern and emotionless face of the pink-haired girl made the older vampires swallowed their tongue in fear.

 

“You started the meeting without me, huh?” SinB stated in a monotone.

“We just want to give you some more rest. “ Eunha answered sincerely.

“I’m fine now. And besides, how can you talk about the problem without the main culprit?”

 

Casually, the pink-haired girl approached the girls. She stood in between her sisters. She reassured the blond girl with her smile then turned to the awkward three people in front of her. She could see her friend, both feeling delightful from seeing her and guilty for whatever she had not known yet. Then, SinB looked at the two detectives then bowed at them politely.

 

“It’s my pleasure to meet you, Detective Kim and Detective Choi. My name is Hwang Eunbi, but you may know me going by Oh Haneul for now. Since my first name is the same as Eunha’s unnie, I usually go with SinB. So if it’s easier for you,” she darted her eye toward the raven-haired girl next to her briefly, getting a nod from the girl. “You can call both of us as Eunha and SinB respectively.”

“So Oh Haneul is your fake name?” Sojung asked skeptically.

“No... I am both Hwang Eunbi and Oh Haneul.” Her exclaimed startled everyone except for Yewon and Eunha, especially the blond girl who was the most lost.

 

Without any further explanation, SinB turned to her best friend, full of questions and doubts. The young doctor looked at her apologetically. Suddenly, she remembered about the dream she had previously. She smiled at the conclusion she found.

 

“I really did meet you before, didn’t I? That’s why you understand me so well. That’s why I always found your face too similar to someone I knew.” The young black-haired girl shyly nodded, biting her lower lip nervously.

 

SinB chuckled dryly. Two strong hands took a hold on each of her own, as the girls beside her shot their worried look on her. She shook her head to tell them that she was fine. She darted her gaze back and forth between Yewon and Yuna, then gulping down in difficulty. She was facing the truth. The cruel reality she had tried to avoid. The only purpose for her existence. The pink-haired girl took in a sharp breath. Her grips on both of the older girls’ hands unconsciously tightened as she regained her courage.

 

“Do you... remember me?”

 

The young doctor asked timidly. She watched her best friend nodding in confirmation while the raven-haired girl furrowed her brows. Yewon grinned sincerely, rising from her seat.

 

“Allow me to reintroduce myself. My name is and has always been Kim Yewon. And I was born almost 300 years ago. I was the village girl saved by Eunbi-ssi when the Organization pursued them in our village.”

 

All the girls, except for Eunha and SinB, gasped in surprise. The pink-haired girl smiled a little, seeing that she was able to save a life. But then the fact that Yewon had been living for 300 years and still looked as young as the first time she met her. This was how her blood affected a human body?

 

“So, all of my hypothesis is correct, Yewon-ssi?”

 

Eunha confirmed in a sad tone. The young doctor nodded continued her speech.

 

“Yes. I’m pretty sure you have known everything, from reading my mind and from my scent. I’m not a vampire. I don’t crave for blood. I live like a normal human should be. However, what makes me different from normal humans is my endless youth and...”

 

To demonstrate her words, Yewon raised her wrist in front of herself. She took a surgical knife from her medical box then cut her wrist in a swift movement. SinB and the two detectives panicked at the bleeding while Eunha and Yerin hastily stepped back from the strong scent of blood. Rushing toward the medical box, the pink-haired girl grabbed a cotton pad and some sterile liquid to disinfect the wound. As she carefully wiped away the blood, she was startled by the strangeness she found. The cut was gone. Completely disappeared like the blood did not belong to it. She darted to the young girl, who just smiled weakly.

 

“I can’t die. No matter how severe the wound is, even if my limps are chopped off, or even my heart is pulled out of my chest, it will be recovered in no time. But I’m still a human. Both my stamina and my strength are at the same level as a female adult. I don’t have any special ability like Eunha-ssi.” Yewon sighed, retracting her hand from her friend’s hold. “Although, I have a special connection to SinB-ssi which I can’t explain. I used to hate her for destroying my village, my life. But then she saved me, giving me a second chance. Losing my purpose of living after my village was gone, I wandered around, heading to nowhere until I encountered both of them again after years. Then I understood my new body. I started following Eunha-ssi and SinB-ssi, learning more and more about them. Because of that, I know myself better. Eventually, I found a purpose for my existence. I was given the chance to see new things, to enjoy this world a little longer. Therefore, I swore to dedicate my life to my savior. I approached SinB-ssi in different periods of time as her friend, keeping her away from the danger, away from the eyes of the Organization with everything I have. That’s when I found out I could actually die.”

 

Yewon inhaled sharply, observing Eunha’s and SinB’s reaction before she could continue. “Everytime SinB-ssi dies, my heart ceases functioning and I will fall into a deep coma until she reincarnates.”

 

“Wait... What?”

 

Yerin shouted in confusion and disbelief, darting her gaze back and forth between the Eunbi duo. Yuna seemed to realize something by herself after Yewon’s confession so she chose to remain silent. Same as Sojung since she knew this was more complicating than her knowledge.

 

“What does she mean by death, Eunha?” Yerin glared angrily at the raven-haired girl, grabbing both of her shoulders to demand an answer. “Eunha, what are you hiding from me?”

 

Eunha bit her lips, not sure how to explain it clearly to the older girl. She avoided the eye contact, causing the force on her shoulders to be strengthened. She thought she could hear the sound of her breaking bones until SinB stood between them, saving her from the rage of the older vampire.

 

“Please, Yerin-unnie. It’s not her fault. She just doesn’t have the right time to tell you yet.”

 

Seeing the pleading eyes, Yerin’s melted. She backed away, remembering that Eunha was trying to tell her about SinB before her vision came and then they rushed to the hospital.

 

“I’m sorry. I lost my mind for a moment. I’m really sorry, Eunha.” Yerin said apologetically. Eunha shook her head, mumbling that it was fine. SinB sighed then held the girl’s hands. She did not know how the girl would react to the truth. But she believed that Yerin had all the rights to know her true self.

 

“Yerin-unnie, be honest to me. What scent do you smell from me?”

 

The blond girl was confused. But the serious gaze did not let her have time to prepare. She closed her eyes, focusing all of her senses on the girl. Scent. She tried to recall all of her memories about their childhood, how SinB had been to her. But something was clearly missing like before. Something was so strange that she disgusted it. Furrowing her brows, she opened her eyes again, uncertainly staring at the young girl who just smiled weakly at her.

 

“You smell like... human...”