The Awakening

You are my star

Sitting on a white fur couch, Yuna took a sip of the hot tea in a white cup placed on the black coffee table in front of her. Exhaustedly leaning back to the couch, she looked around the interior of the house. Pure white and black. All the furniture were mostly in those simple colors. Not to mention that everything was organized neatly and spotlessly. She guessed the owner was a tidy person seeing how lean the place was. Because of it, for a person who did not care to even organize her wardrobe, Yuna was stressed not to spill anything in here. She did not know why she had to stay here.

 

After bringing the mysterious blond girl to this house, the owner and the one who requested the favor from the young detectives let her in while taking the blonde into one of her bedrooms by herself. A hot cup of tea was already prepared for her in the living room, the red hair was surprised to see that the psychologist from Seoul Police Department was the requester. She was even more shocked when she witnessed how a slim and small girl like her could carry an unconscious body by herself to the bedroom upstairs with ease when Yuna and Sojung were struggling just to get her into their car. The red hair girl had so many questions in her head that she did not know what to think about anymore.

 

The doorbell rang softly. Yuna was alerted as she looked at the stairs, wondering if she should get the door or not. After a few seconds, the host did not show any sight that she would come out. Yuna stood up and opened the door. Greeting her was no one else but her partner, the senior detective, shivering while rubbing her hands together. The younger girl let her in, who dusted off the snow on her clothes and hair before entering. The latter girl took off her coat and hung it on the coat hanger.

 

“Where is she?”

“She is in the bedroom with the corp-... the blond girl. She would be out in a few minutes, she said.”

 

Sojung nodded at the answer when she took off her winter boots and walked to the living room. She observed the interior for a minute before settled down next to Yuna on the couch. The younger girl poured another cup of tea from the teapot and offered it to her partner. After they had warmed up, both of them flinched when they heard footsteps coming down from the staircase. Nervously, Sojung stood up from her seat as a person came into her sight. A petite girl – small comparing to Sojung’s size – dressed in a white shirt and a black mini skirt. Her long raven silky hair hugged the thin waist, bolding her white chubby baby face. Her alluring aura caused the senior detective to be speechless for a moment until Yuna elbowed her side to wake her up, earning a soft giggle from the shortest girl in the room. Remaining her composure, the raven girl stood in front of the detectives with a warm smile.

 

“Thank you Sojung-ssi and Yuna-ssi, for accepting my request. I owe you my life.”

“Please, It’s nothing. You’re one of our colleagues so it’s normal for us to help each other.” Sojung replied firmly. However, her expression tensed up quickly. “You don’t owe us anything except for an explanation. I’m pretty sure you know that, Sooyeon-ssi.”

“Of course.”

 

The raven girl smiled weakly when she sat down on the armchair next to Sojung. She saw the determination and seriousness in those black orbs, confirming that they would not leave until they got what they wanted. It was understandable since she just asked them to commit a crime, a big crime that could cause all of them their whole careers.

 

“You seems to have lots of faith in me, Sojung-ssi. To a point that you’re willing to put your and Yuna-ssi’s career on the line to accept my request. Although, we don’t know each other that well.”

“I only do things I believe it is the right thing to do. And to be honest, I trust you more than those strangers in the research lab.”

“What if I tell you a fairy tale, will you still believe it?”

 

The atmosphere tensed up. The raven girl kept her mysterious smile all the time while Sojung and Yuna stared the girl, trying to find any hint of lies from the girl’s expression. To their disbelief, the girl was as serious as they were. Her big round black eyes did not sway for even tremble. They stared back at the detectives, who were experienced in doing interrogation for years, with confidence. Sighing heavily, Sojung took a sip of the tea to soothe her dried throat before continuing.

 

“Considering what happened tonight, I don’t think it is impossible anymore.”

“Then take it as my gratitude for helping me, I’ll answer any questions you have for me.” The raven girl said calmly. “However, think carefully before you ask. Once you get the answers, you can’t turn back. It’s far more complicating and dangerous than you think. So I do advice you to stay out of this and live your normal lives like before.”

 

Yuna gulped quietly as she gazed at her partner. The older girl seemed to be more composed than her. The young detective knew that once they accepted the unbelievable request, they already got themselves into a big mess. No matter what, they could not turn around anymore. And her curiosity did not allow her to run away either. The red hair girl just sat still and wait for the older girl to speak up for both of them. She trusted her partner more than the stunning psychologist in front of them, whom she actually never met in person before until now. She was sure that the senior detective was thinking about all the possibilities could happen in this situation to protect both of their lives and careers and also solve the mystery they were facing. The frown on the older girl face soon disappeared after another unexpected answer from the raven girl.

 

“And don’t worry about your career if you choose to withdraw. I have my way to guarantee that your job will be untouched by the superiors.”

“In that case, if I choose to stay, what will happen to us?”

 

The raven girl smiled again. An enigmatic smile that no one could understand the meaning behind it.

 

“You will risk nothing but your own life. And I can’t guarantee your safety. Neither of you is safe once you get involved.”

 

The detectives were hesitant. It was displayed clearly by their uptight expression. The raven girl smiled weakly. She knew it was hard to decide since they did not know each other that well to sacrifice their lives for an acquaintance. However, she was amazed enough when the senior detective did not decline her request right on the spot. Their presences in her house right this moment was a solid proof that they had goodwill to help her.

 

“Since this is a serious matter, I think both of you will need more time to think about it. How about spending one night here then you can answer me later in the morning?”

 

Sojung looked into those black orbs. She was thinking about rejecting the offer. But considering the situation, she and Yuna had already known too much. The raven girl would not allow them to leave with the secret she was hiding until she knew whether they were her allies or enemies. Forcing a smile, the senior detective politely accepted the offer. Then, the raven girl conscientiously prepared and guided both of them to one of her guest rooms which had a queen-size bed. There was already a big tray of hot meal placed on the table next to the window, waiting for them.

 

“My apology for the inconvenience. I didn’t expect to have guests today so I could only prepare one guest room. The other rooms aren’t cleaned up yet. So I hope you don’t mind sharing the bed.”

“Not at all. Thank you for letting us stay here.” Sojung replied friendly after she had checked out the room.

“There are some new pajamas in the wardrobe you can use if you want. The bathroom is in the corner so just make yourself at home.” The raven girl instructed them then turned around to the door. But before she passed through the door, the girl halted, facing her back toward the detectives. “One last warning before I go. No matter what you hear tonight, do not go out of this room. This is for your safety only. Remember my word if you don’t want to die young.”

 

After that, not even waiting for the reply, the raven girl shut the door behind her back, leaving the two dumbfounded detectives alone in the white room. Sighing in relief, the older girl threw herself onto the soft mattress, covering her eyes with her arm exhaustedly.

 

“What did we get ourselves into?...” She guaranteed that she would not be able to sleep well that night. Too many things happened that her brain almost malfunctioned from overworking.

 

“Sojung-unnie. I tend to move a lot on the bed, even sleep talking so... you might want to think again about sharing a bed with me.” The older girl raised her head up and raised an eyebrow at the younger one, who just shrugged then hummed mischievously while taking a spoon of the hot ramen on the table.

“Really? You just have to choose this moment to be weird. Can you help me out a little?”

“What do you want me to do then? It’s not like we can do anything besides thinking.” Yuna said with a mouth full of food. “They always say a full stomach will help the brain to think better. So come and eat before the ramen turns cold, unnie.”

 

Shaking her head, Sojung got off the mattress and headed toward the door. was dry and the host had forgotten to prepare water int heir room so the senior detective was planning to get some for herself in the kitchen. Once she opened the door, she was startled by the presence of the host, who was just leaning her back on the wall at the staircase, as if she had been expecting the detective to come out. The seducing pair of lips curled up almost immediately after the taller girl was in her sight.

 

“I thought Detective Kim would be more disciplined than this. I did warn you not to come out of the room, didn’t I?”

“I just want to get some water. I didn’t mean to disrespect you by any means, Sooyeon-ssi.”

“Oh, my bad. I let it slip through my mind when I prepared the room. Come with me then, Sojung-ssi.”

 

Sojung did not flinch by the mocking tone of the girl in front of her. Instead, she quietly followed the girl after closing the door behind her. Before she was promoted to senior detective, she had worked with the forensic scientists in the lab for more than a year. During that time, she had the chance to work with the raven girl in several cases, growing from strangers to trusted colleagues. Although the petite girl was only around Yuna’s age, Sojung was impressed by how intelligent and calm the girl was each time they encountered a difficult case. She seemed to know more than anyone in the lab, more experienced than anyone Sojung had met in her life. She was a girl with a wise choice of words and a cool head that Sojung had always admired. The detective wanted to get closer to the girl. But yet despite being friendly and bubbly to almost everyone, the raven girl always built an invisible wall around herself. No one could actually get closer to her than being colleagues, except for that doctor who was her childhood friend. Both of them had this mysterious aura that no one could see what was inside their heads. Yet, the raven girl could read people like she could read their minds.

 

Reading their minds...

 

It was one of the possibilities Sojung had come up with. Being a psychologist gave you the ability to read people. But literally reading minds was another matter. The senior detective had her doubt after remembering about the call. The raven girl knew exactly where and what was happening at that time. She knew Sojung and Yuna was there, with the blonde girl. That was why she called the older girl to transport the girl back to her place. They received the urgent call from the HQ on the private line. There was no way a psychologist would be allowed to get that information with her authority. There could be only two options.

 

One, she could hack the system but it was quite impossible. The girl did not look like an IT nerd to her.

And two...

 

“You’re thinking that I might possess a superhuman power such as reading minds, am I correct?”

 

The sweet high-pitched voice woke her up. Her grip tightened on the glass of water which she received from the girl just a moment ago. Staring at the shorter girl in disbelief and composure, Sojung was sure that her years working as a detective had trained her to keep her poker face whenever she did not want anyone to read her mind from her facial expression. She was so confident about it but now she was not sure about anymore.

 

Unless...

 

“So It is true after all. That’s how you know where we were and asked us for a favor, correct?”

 

She asked sternly. The raven girl did not show any reaction to her question, as if she already knew it. Instead of answering her, the shorter girl kept her friendly smile as she also poured a glass of water for herself. Later, she took out a small bottle from a small cabinet beside the fridge, containing small round white pills. Sojung watched the girl picking one of the pills and dropping it into her glass. The pill dissolved in a few seconds, turning the transparent liquid into dark crimson, almost looking like blood. Furrowed her brows, the senior detective had many questions for the girl. But she remembered the girl’s warning. It would be too dangerous if she knew too much. Therefore, she decided to remain silent while watching the other girl drinking the strange red liquid.

 

Looking down on her own glass, she raised it nearer to her nose to take a sniff before taking a small sip of it cautiously. She heard a soft giggle from the other girl but she did not care. She was a skeptical person. That was how she could survive in this job. However, if she wanted to follow her heart, she would not hesitate to help the girl who captured her heart long time ago. But she had this feeling that whatever it was, it was beyond her expectation.

 

“Sooyeon-ssi, if I may ask you one question, why do you give me choices?” Sojung was sure that she had pointed out something when the girl’s expression changed a little by her question. “From what you told us before, it wouldn’t be a problem for you to just kick us out and cover your secrets from us. Why does it seem like we have something you want?”

 

The shorter girl smiled sadly when she kept her gaze on the empty glass in her hand. Gently, she placed it down on the counter, facing the taller girl.

 

“You’re correct... You and Yuna have something I want. Or truth to be told, you two are bound by fate that you can’t escape from this mess. I’m not a kind person as you might think I was. I’m just being considerate to give you an opportunity to prepare.”

“So... you already knew the answer...”

“Unfortunately, yes. Even if I have the possibility to hide my secrets from both of you for a longer time, it is unavoidable that you will get involved later. It’s just about the matter of time.”

 

Sojung was speechless by the facts she heard. She was a science person. She did not believe in paranormals and stories. However, after tonight, she did not know what to believe anymore. The raven girl’s voice was so serious and placid that she could not detect any lies in the girl’s words. Massaging her nose bridge, the taller girl let out a heavy sigh from exhaustion.

 

“You still have the whole night to think about it. Remember my words and take your time. For now, good night, Sojung-ssi.”

 

The raven girl smiled gently at the taller one. Sojung’s head was so painful that she just nodded, quietly replying with a ‘goodnight’ then went back to the guest room. As soon as the detective was out of sight, the smile of the pale baby face was wiped off. Quietly sighing, she stared at the two empty glasses in front of her, drowned in her train of thoughts. Only when the vibration of her phone on the counter abruptly interrupted her silence, she grabbed the device. A sincerely sweet smile formed on her lips when she saw the caller’s ID.

 

“Eunha-unnie, I’m really sorry! An emergency came up so I have to stay in the hospital until tomorrow afternoon.”

“It’s fine. Our movie night can wait. Just don’t overwork yourself.”

“I will. Are you sure you will be fine? Do you have enough pills?”

“Still have plenty of those, don’t worry. And besides, I’m older than you. I can take care of myself very well.”

“OK. Just call me if you need anything. Good night, unnie.”

“Good night... And SinB-ah...”

“Hmm?”

“I love you...”

“Love you too, unnie. Get some rest. You sound really exhausted.”

“I will... Take care.”

 

The call ended. The raven girl stared blankly at her phone before placing it down on the solid surface. She tasted the bitterness on her tongue as her heart throbbed painfully. She had wondered how many times she had been through this feeling. How many years she had been enduring this pain just to keep a promise. But yet she blindly fell headlong into this endless sorrow. Suddenly, the image of her childhood, when the three little girls played together, having fun day by day without giving any concern about the outer world, popped into her mind. Unconsciously, a single drop of crystal fell on her cheek.

 

So close... yet so far away...

 

Wiping away the crystal drop, she raised her hands up, carefully took off her contact lens then put them back in the containers located in the cabinet where she stored her pills and other medical equipment. Dragging her heavy legs, she retreated to another guest room at the end of the hallway on the second floor. Pushing through the door then immediately locking it, she carefully sat down on the bed, right next to the sleeping beauty. The blond girl lied on the soft mattress; her eyes closed tightly and her face was relaxed, almost like she was just sleeping peacefully. Slowly reaching out, she placed one of her hand on the blonde’s chest, where the heart was supposed to be.

 

Fainting beats.

 

She was astonished by the sight of life. Relieved and delighted, she held the cold pale hand, raising it up to her lips to give it a soft kiss. Her crimson orbs dearly gazed at the angelic face. Gently placing the hand down on the mattress, she brought her wrist to her lips. Her fangs grew longer before she bit her wrist. The warm and black liquid flowed into . After taking a full mouth, she lowered her head, hovering above the blonde girl’s lips.

 

“I’m sorry, Yerin-unnie.”

 

She apologized silently before she closed the distance between them. Her soft lips gently touched the cold ones. Using her tongue to gently open an entrance, she transferred the liquid into the other’s mouth. After the rusty and bitter taste disappeared from her tongue, she broke the contact, gently wiping away the excessive liquid in the corner of the pale lips. Then she moved back a little, patiently observing any changes from the girl.

 

Slowly, the pale and freezing skin gained some colors as the immobilized body twitched quietly. Gradually, she felt the body beneath her warming up. After minutes passed by, the heavy lids lifted up. A pair of golden orbs slowly opened themselves and gazed at her.

 

Dull and ambiguous.

 

A/N: Yes you may notice that Eunha's name is Sooyeon. It's intentional, not a mistake. You will find out why later on as the plot proceeding. Except for that, I hope you like this chapter. Drama will be rising from now on. Thank you once again for reading my fiction.