Going around in circles

Our Wives

The last week or so had been, suffice to say, odd. Woohyun wasn’t sure exactly what was going on and he felt like he was missing out on something huge.

For one, Chungha was always quiet now. She had been spacing out more, flinching when he would call her name, and sometimes sighing several times in five minutes. He wondered if she and Kyungmi had a fight because he heard her yelling at someone on the phone in the bathroom one day. A part of him was thrilled, but another part of him was concerned. And what caught Woohyun off-guard the most was how Chungha now frequently cuddled him at night in bed, clutching his arm like a lifeline. It wasn’t even a remotely romantic move, but felt more like… Chungha was seeking comfort.

Meanwhile, Sunggyu was becoming a little… distant. Ever since Kyungmi had asked him for a divorce, the older man appeared to retreat into himself. He rarely replied to Woohyun’s texts anymore and when he did, it was only to tell him that he was still at work. It seemed that Sunggyu never felt like going home, lately.

The state of two people he cared about worried Woohyun, immensely, that he had stopped making plans on how to get Chungha to fall for him again and concentrated on trying to make them feel better.

He had been cooking for Chungha a bit more, making all of her favorites and putting them in lunchboxes for her to take to work. At some point, he had realized that he hadn’t done that since the first year of their marriage. He used to make her lunchboxes all the time but he got too busy soon after that he stopped. He hoped that he had made up for it.

But, right now, he was making lunch for Sunggyu and planned on taking it to the older man’s office. He figured since Sunggyu hadn’t had his cooking in a while, he might have missed it. So, once again, Woohyun was putting Sungyeol in charge (he had gained a little more confidence) while he was out for a few hours. It was good being the boss.

Instead of the usual chef’s special, Woohyun figured he would bring something different this time. So, he made stir-fried rice and bulgogi along with side dishes of kimchi, steamed eggplant, and pickled radishes. He packed it all up, bid goodbye to his staff, and drove to the Kim Hotels and Resorts headquarters.

He made his way up to the CEO’s floor and walked up to the secretary’s desk. Bora looked up as she approached with a surprised look.

“Hello, Bora-shii!” he greeted with a beam. “I’m here to see your boss. Is he free?”

“O-Oh, he is… But… Um…” Bora bit her lip, seeming to hesitate before saying in a soft voice, “He’s not in the best mood.”

Woohyun expected that. “It’s fine. Can you let him know I’m here?”

Bora nodded and made the call. Woohyun was given the green light and he thanked her, making sure to give her an extra box of kimchi for her hard work.

Sunggyu was hunched over his desk, typing on his laptop with quick precision, eyes focused on the screen, his mouth tight in concentration. He didn’t even acknowledge Woohyun as the chef entered, and he tried not to feel hurt by the lack of attention. Instead, Woohyun settled on the chair in front of the desk, patiently waiting with the bag of food on his lap.

The chef, then, took that moment to observe the other man. At first, Sunggyu looked the same as ever, dressed in a professional suit, not a hair out of place, and even the look of intense concentration in his eyes. However, upon closer inspection, there were dark circles under his eyes, his fingers shook as they tapped on the keys, and he had forgotten his pocket square.

Kim Sunggyu wasn’t himself, at all. And Woohyun hated seeing him so out of it.

Finally, after what felt like hours of waiting for Sunggyu to acknowledge him, the CEO’s typing finally slowed and then ceases. He looked up at Woohyun and smiled, slightly.

“Hi,” he greeted. “Sorry about that. I need to have this report done before a meeting with investors tomorrow and I kind of fell behind and… yeah.”

Now, Woohyun hadn’t known Sunggyu for very long but definitely rushing a report like he was some kind of procrastinating college student was out of character for him.

“Are you okay, hyung?” Woohyun asked, softly in concern.

Just like that, Sunggyu’s calm mask fell away and he fell back into his seat. His fatigue was now clear as day as he squeezed the bridge of his nose, eyes shut tight.

“I… don’t know,” he replied before sighing. “I should have expected that from Kyungmi. I… I mean… it’s not like I really tried to woo her back to me… so, technically, it’s all my fault and…”

“Don’t give up, hyung!” Woohyun placed the bag of food on Sunggyu’s desk as he got on is feet. His fists were clenched at his stomach. “You didn’t sign anything, yet, right? So, there’s hope! You can still get her back! Don’t give up!”

But, Sunggyu only sighed again. “I don’t know, Woohyun…”

Woohyun didn’t like that defeated look in Sunggyu’s face. He wanted so desperately to change that, bring back the old Sunggyu whose company he had come to enjoy.

“Hyung, are you doing anything on Saturday?”

Sunggyu shook his head.

Woohyun smiled. “Then clear that day for me! I’m taking you out!”

 


 

 To be honest, Sunggyu wasn’t entirely sure exactly what he was feeling ever since Kyungmi asked him for a divorce.

Some days, he felt numb. Other days, he felt like he could accept it. And then there are those days when he just felt betrayed and hurt. He couldn’t help but question himself and his inability to be a good enough husband for his wife. Why couldn’t he make her happy? And why was he even trying to hold on to a relationship that clearly… never made him happy either?

Yes, he had finally admitted to himself that although he had loved Kyungmi during their marriage, he was never really happy. There were times when he found joy in her companionship. But, to truly have found happiness in their marriage… he had kept hoping that one day he would wake up feeling that happiness and bliss that came with married life that everyone else kept talking about.

Suffice to say, things between him and Kyungmi had been awkward since then. He tended to wake up early to go to work, forgoing their breakfast routine. At the end of the day, he opted to stay late in the office, and not simply because he now spaced out a lot during the day that he couldn’t finish is work on time. His secretary, Bora, had thrown him several concerned glances every day whenever she came into his office to remind him of his schedules.

Basically, Sunggyu was stressed out. And he seemed to be losing control of everything and he didn’t know what to do.

So, when Woohyun asked him to clear his Saturday for him, he didn’t hesitate to say “yes”. He needed a break and a distraction and if there was one person who could help him do that, it was the chef. No one else would understand and no one else would be able to help him… except for Woohyun.

He didn’t know how he came to rely on Woohyun so much in the last couple of months, but he was grateful.

“Sunggyu?”

Kyungmi was coming down the stairs as he was on his way out the door to meet Woohyun.

“We need to talk… please,” she pleaded, walking over to him.

Sunggyu took a step back, his body defensive at the sudden approach. He really didn’t want to talk.

“If it’s about the divorce again, Kyungmi, I’d rather not,” he answered, coldly.

She stopped in front of him, clasping her hands nervously in front of her. “Sunggyu… I’m sorry that I hurt you. But, I want us both to be happy-.”

“Us? Or you?”

Kyungmi flinched at the bitterness in his tone but for Sunggyu, he was done. He was truly done being a fool for his wife’s infidelity.

“Five years, Kyungmi. We’ve been married five years and not once have you told me that you were unhappy? What changed? Why all of a sudden? Was it me? Did I do something wrong? What did I do that upset you so much?”

He hoped that by giving her this opening, she would finally tell him the truth. He needed to hear the truth from her.

Normally a composed woman, Kyungmi’s eyes were b with tears. “It’s not you,” she said in a soft voice. “It’s me…”

A short cliché line, yet it spoke thousands.

DING!

Sunggyu’s phone sounded, signaling a text. He took a look to see that Woohyun had texted him to say that he was ready and waiting for him by the bus shed near his apartment.

He looked up at Kyungmi, whose eyes were trained on Sunggyu’s phone. Putting it away, Sunggyu sighed.

“Yes, you did hurt me,” he said, making his wife flinch. “You forgot that there’s another person in this marriage and I have a choice too. And right now, I don’t know what I want. I don’t know if I want to fight for you to stay or to let you go.” He finally met her eyes. “I really don’t know. I need time.”

And with that, he turned around and walked out the door.

Feeling numb, Sunggyu drove to where Woohyun was waiting for him. When the younger got into the car, he immediately smiled at the older.

“You ready for this, hyung?” he piped, all giddy like he always was. “We’re going to have so much fun!”

Sunggyu couldn’t stop himself from smiling. It was always like Woohyun had a halo of light around him. He was just so… bright.

“I would be ready if I knew where we were going,” Sunggyu answered, matter-of-factly.

Woohyun grinned and gestured to the car’s built-in GPS. “May I?”

Sunggyu nodded and Woohyun tapped in the address.

“Let’s go!” the younger cheered, raising his arms (as much as he could in a small space) in excitement.

Chuckling, Sunggyu went ahead and drove.

On the way, Woohyun just chattered on and on about one thing or another. He avoided talking about their wives and Sunggyu was grateful for the consideration. He didn’t think that he could handle talking about the elephant in the room, at that moment. He just needed a break from the drama of his life.

Finally, after about half an hour of driving, they had reached their destination: an amusement park.

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow in disbelief. “Really?”

Woohyun just grinned.

Resigning, Sunggyu went ahead to find a parking spot. They got their tickets (Woohyun paid) and entered the amusement park.

The place was crowded and filled with families with little children, groups of teens, and young adult couples. The chaos looked overwhelming to Sunggyu and he froze at the entrance, not even acknowledging the people pushing past him.

A hand wrapped around his upper arm and he turned his head to see Woohyun, smiling at him. For some reason, Sunggyu’s anxiety calmed down.

“What do you want to do first, hyung?” the younger asked.

Sunggyu shrugged. Woohyun took this as a cue to drag him to the nearest ride: a giant spinning top. Sunggyu looked at the giant contraption with horror but unfortunately, the line was short so he didn’t have time to prepare. Meanwhile, Woohyun was buzzing with excitement.

The ride was all a blur. Sunggyu vaguely recalled screams, the world spinning, until he ended up just closing his eyes and praying to a higher being that he would survive.

His legs were shaky as he exited the ride. Beside him and holding on to the sleeve of Sunggyu's shirt, Woohyun was giggling to himself as he, too, tried to get his balance back.

“That was fun! We should do it again later!”

Sunggyu stared at him in horror. “I’d rather not, thanks.”

Woohyun pouted but grinned. “That’s okay, hyung. There are many rides to do still!”

Grabbing Sunggyu’s arm, he dragged him to another ride.

Sunggyu felt like his heart was never going to rest. Woohyun had him go on rides with frightening names: the spinner, the cliffhanger, the Viking, and the drop tower. He screamed for his life like he had never screamed before. His throat was raw by the time they had finished the last ride.

However, he had to admit that thinking about his life potentially ending on one of these giant contraptions had taken his mind off the whole thing with Kyungmi. Plus, Woohyun’s enthusiasm was contagious.

“Come on, hyung, pick a ride,” Woohyun urged, while they were waiting on line for snacks and drinks. “I feel like I’m the only one having fun when it should be the two of us!”

“I prefer none-life threatening rides, but so far, I haven’t found any,” Sunggyu replied in a teasing tone.

Woohyun pouted. “So, you’re not having fun?”

He looked so genuinely upset at the notion that Sunggyu backtracked, quickly. “I’m having fun. Really. I promise. I was joking.”

And just like that, Woohyun broke into a laugh. “I know, hyung. I was joking too!”

Sunggyu should be irritated. He hated being played around with. But, he wasn’t. The younger's silliness, instead, made him smile. 

“But, if you want, hyung, we can do a little shopping after we eat. Take a break from the life-threatening rides and all.” Woohyun grinned at him.

That… actually sounded nice.

So, after their meal, the two hit up some of the shops. None of the souvenirs were really catered towards grown adult men, but it was pretty nice browsing. Woohyun had found some funny hats and headbands and proceeded to shove them onto Sunggyu’s head and his own before taking selfies.

To thank him for taking him out, Sunggyu bought the two of them matching shirts with the amusement park mascots printed in the back – Sunggyu’s was red and Woohyun’s was white.

“Thanks, hyung! I’ll wear it always!” Woohyun exclaimed, happily hugging the bag to his chest.

On their way out of the store, another ride caught Sunggyu’s eye and he paused, staring. It was one of the tamest rides he had seen so far that wasn’t for toddlers.

Beside him, Woohyun had followed his gaze. “Do you want to go on the carousel, hyung?”

Sunggyu blushed and was about to decline because, surely, Woohyun would think he was so uncool for wanting to ride a merry-go-round. But, the younger had grabbed his arm (there was a lot of arm grabbing that day, more than what Sunggyu was used to) and dragged him to the ride.

The wait wasn’t too long so they had managed to get horses next to each other.

For the first time all day, Sunggyu was buzzing more from excitement than nerves.

When he was a kid, he and his older sister loved riding the carousel together. They would imagine that they were horseback riders, racing for the finish line.

“Hyung, wanna race?” Woohyun asked from his horse, his expression mischievous as the ride began to move.

Sunggyu smirked. “You’re on.”

The ride lasted no more than 5 minutes but Sunggyu found himself smiling and laughing, anyway. Woohyun had “won” since his horse had moved ahead when the ride ended and he was currently rubbing it in Sunggyu’s face.

Sunggyu let him.

And by the end of the day, he was exhausted… but happy. Really happy. It was like a giant weight had left his shoulders. He was feeling lighter and even his head felt clearer.

As Sunggyu drove Woohyun home, he let the other re-cap their day, singing along to the radio in between. He was feeling really grateful to the younger for taking a day out of his own stressful life to cheer him up.

He arrived by the bus stop and parked.

“Thanks for today, hyung,” Woohyun said as he gathered his shopping bags (he bought keychains for his staff, headbands and plush dolls for his nieces and nephews, and a shirt for Chungha).

“No, Woohyun, thank you.” Sunggyu smiled at him. “You really cheered me up. This was… kind of… a really bad week. And I was probably a killjoy, but I still appreciated it.”

“Don’t worry about it, hyung. You know I’m here for you.”

Sunggyu sighed. “Should I let Kyungmi go? Maybe she’s right. Maybe she would be happier if… if she had someone else.”

Woohyun’s eyes widened. “What? No! Don’t give up! You shouldn’t give up! You love Kyungmi, don’t you?”

Did he? After thinking about their entire marriage, Sunggyu wasn’t really sure anymore.

But, Woohyun took his silence as a “yes”.

“Don’t worry, hyung. Once I get Chungha to fall for me all over again, I can help you with Kyungmi. We can do this, hyung.”

Sunggyu smiled and before he could stop himself, he reached across the dashboard to wrap Woohyun in a hug.

“Thank you,” he said and he meant it.

He was truly grateful.

 


 

When Woohyun arrived home, Chungha was sitting on the dining table with her laptop. She looked up when he entered.

“Welcome home,” she greeted. “How was your day out with your friend?”

Woohyun walked over to kiss her forehead. “It was good. I think they’re feeling better now.” He reached into the shopping bag to take out the souvenir shirt he got her. “This is for you.”

“Oh, thank you, yeobo,” Chungha took the shirt and pressed it against her front. “It’s so cute!”

Woohyun smiled, happy to see Chungha smiling for the first time in days. He had hated seeing her so sad. His Chungha was always a cheerful woman.

Smiling, Chungha kissed his cheek and stood up. “I’m going to put this away. Let me take that too.”

She gestured to the rest of his shopping bags and he handed it to her.

Feeling himself in a better mood, Woohyun proceeded to heat up some leftovers for their dinner. When Chungha came back out, she set the table.

They sat down for dinner and made small talk. Woohyun told her about his time at the amusement park, complete with exaggerated gestures that made her laugh and giggle. Maybe next time, he should take her too. They were long overdue for an outing as a couple.

“By the way, yeobo, I have to go on a research trip in two weeks,” Chungha said in between bites.

Woohyun blinked. “A research trip?”

Chungha nodded. “A new client hired us to do the flower arrangements for her engagement party and there are these specific hybrid flowers that she wants that we don’t carry in our shop. She’s kind of high profile so sajangnim wants me and a colleague to take a trip to a flower farm in Pyeongchang.”

Woohyun’s brow furrowed. “Why Pyeongchang of all places?”

“They have the conditions for growing the hybrid.”

Well, Woohyun didn’t really know much about flower so he would have to take her word for it.

“I’ll be gone that entire weekend. You’ll be okay by yourself, right?”

Flashing a smile, Woohyun replied, “Of course. Aren’t I, always?”

After dinner, while Chungha did the dishes and Woohyun wiped down the tables, his phone ping-ed. He picked it up to see a text from Sunggyu that froze him in his tracks.

“Kyungmi just told me she was meeting with a client outside of Seoul in two weeks. Did Chungha say anything to you about a trip?”

 


A/N: Poor Sunggyu. He's still so confused but that's understandable. Kyungmi had been his wife for five years. You can't just throw a marriage away, just like that. But, Woohyun to the rescue! Even for just a few hours, Woohyun had managed to calm him down and ease his worries. And I always found Sunggyu's enjoyment of carousels so cute so I always try to put in a fic, somehow.

Anywho, this week as brutal! Oh my goodness. I barely had time to write. Also, I've been sort of obsessed with this show called "Andi Mack" so I also started writing fanfics for that, but only short one-shots. The characters and the actors who play them are still so young so my usual angsty long plots are not for them lol.

So, Kyungmi and Chungha are going away on a trip together again. What do you guys think will happen? I have the feeling that you'll all love the next chapter. What do I mean by that? Stay tuned!