A disruption in routine

Our Wives

As CEO of one of South Korea's largest chain of hotels and resorts, Kim Sunggyu’s daily schedules were routine.

First, wake up, shower, brush his teeth, and get dressed. Then, go down to the dining room for breakfast prepared by the cook. Wait a few minutes, while reading the paper and taking small sips of his coffee before his wife finishes her own morning rituals and join him. As they eat, they make small talk about what they have planned for the day, maybe share a few laughs. Then, they walk together to the garage of their two-story home, sweetly kiss each other goodbye and wish each other to have a nice day before getting into their respective cars to drive to their respective offices.

That had been routine for the last five years of their marriage. And it worked well for them.

Sunggyu’s wife, Park Kyungmi, was the head designer for one of South Korea's biggest and well-known interior designer corporation and just like Sunggyu, she was ambitious and a very, very, very busy woman. And they both liked consistency and are uncomfortable with disruptions.

That one Friday, though, there was a slight change in routine. Kyungmi was taking a rare weekend off and going on a getaway with a friend. It felt a bit odd at first, but Sunggyu couldn’t really complain. Kyungmi worked so hard, she deserved a break.

“I’ll be back Monday afternoon. Will you be okay by yourself?” she asked with a look of concern.

Sunggyu flashed her a grin. “I’ll be fine, yeobo. You have fun with your friend, okay?” He took a sip of his morning coffee, allowing the warmth and caffeine to awaken his tired bones.

Kyungmi smiled at him and patted his hand, fondly. “I’ll bring back presents," she promised.

After breakfast, Sunggyu kissed his wife goodbye and wished her safe travels before heading off to the office.

He was welcomed by his secretary, staff, and piles upon piles of paperwork. He was used to it, though. He liked the work. He loved being busy as his mind took in information after information.

He wasn’t the eldest child in the family, but he was the only one interested in taking over his father's company. His older sister had the brains but none of the motivation, so she pursued the path of fashion design, instead. As the only other child of the former CEO (their father), Sunggyu had decided to take over so his father could retire at a good age. During high school, he excelled in all of his classes and for college, he studied abroad, briefly in California.

His staff respected and feared him. His business associates admired him. And his family and in-laws boasted with pride about him. He was on top of the world and he was only in his late 20’s.

He had a great career, a wonderful wife, and a stable life. Nothing could shake the foundation he had worked so long and hard to build.

“KIM SUNGGYU!”

The door to his office slammed open, nearly tearing it off its hinges. At the doorway stood a man he didn’t know or recognize.

A mop of dark brown hair. Almond shaped brown eyes. A sharp nose that could cut paper. And the poutiest lips Sunggyu had ever seen on a man.

Sunggyu would probably find the unknown man handsome if his nose wasn’t flaring and his eyes burning in anger as it zeroed in on Sunggyu sitting at his desk.

“Can I… help you?” the CEO asked, unsure.

The man was breathing heavily as he continued to glare at Sunggyu. “Yes,” he spat out, bitterly. “You can tell your wife to leave mine alone!”

At that statement, Sunggyu blinked as his brain processed but not quite understanding the words.

“Ex…cuse… me?” he managed.

Just then, his secretary Bora came rushing in, exasperated. “Sajangnim! I’m so sorry but this crazy man…”

“Who are you calling crazy?!”

“… just ignored me! I’ll call security-.”

Sunggyu raised a hand. “It’s fine. Bora, leave us and close the door, please.”

Bora looked surprised at the request. “But, sir-.”

“Bora.” He flashed her a look and she nodded in understanding.

His secretary bowed quickly before closing the door with a ‘click’ behind her.

Sunggyu turned his attention back to the heaving man in his office before politely gesturing to one of the chairs in front of his desk.

“Please, sit, Mister…”

The man appeared surprised at his politeness, yet went ahead and provided a name.

“Nam. Nam Woohyun.”

“Mr. Nam Woohyun,” Sunggyu acknowledged with a nod and gestured to the seat again.

But, his visitor remained standing, still glaring at him so Sunggyu stood up too and went around his desk to lean against it, facing the man.

“Now, how can I help you?” he asked again.

His question seemed to infuriate this Nam Woohyun as his nostrils flared even more. “Didn’t you hear me the first time?! I told you to tell your wife to stay away from my wife!”

Sunggyu blinked again. “I heard you but I’m not actually sure what you mean.”

At that point, the man stopped and tilted his head to the side. “So, you don’t know.”

“Don’t know what?” Sunggyu was getting impatient now.

Nam Woohyun huffed at his nonchalant attitude. “Our wives are having an affair with each other, you clueless dummy! So, can you please tell your wife to stop trying to steal my wife?!”

It took half a minute or so for the words of the infuriated man in front of him to sink in.

“What?” was all Sunggyu could manage.

 

..................................................

 

Nam Woohyun had never doubted his wife’s faithfulness in their entire four years of marriage.

After all, they were childhood best friends. They relied on each other and loved each other since they were ten years old. So, of course, he wouldn’t question the random bruises he sometimes spied on her neck that she would later cover with makeup or the frequent phone calls she would take in private and her random daydream expression while she did chores around the house.

He could turn a blind eye to those.

But, the e-mail, he couldn’t deny seeing it or even erase the contents out of his head.

Chungha had a bad habit of sometimes leaving her computer open while she did one thing or another so it was a surprise to Woohyun that he never saw anything out of the ordinary early on. Until, of course, she was in the shower and he thought he would be sweet and turn the laptop off for her. That was when he saw the e-mail.

“Let’s meet at JJ’s Bakery tomorrow at 1pm. Love you, jagiya!”

The message itself wasn’t suspicious (he was aware of some women’s habits of using affectionate names for their friends and all) but the fact that the message thread wasn’t sent – it was left in drafts. And the e-mail, itself, wasn’t one he recognized that belonged to his wife. There weren’t any other e-mails on it either but there were a lot of drafts.

Curious, Woohyun had clicked a couple and was hit with a barrage of flirtatious words, date plans, and love notes… a lot of love notes. And just like that, he felt a blow to his heart, the feeling of betrayal seeping into his soul. He wasn’t sure if he should cry or throw things in anger. Instead, he closed the e-mails, leaving the laptop as it was before and quickly left the bedroom.

He stayed out in the living room, trying to distract himself with whatever late-night drama was playing until he heard the shower turn off and Chungha moving around the bedroom. He wondered if she suspected that he knew.

He returned to the bedroom to see her getting ready for bed, as usual. She smiled at seeing him.

“Shower’s free, yeobo,” she said, sweetly.

He nodded before subtly glancing at the laptop. It had been closed and put away in its case.

In the shower, Woohyun brooded.

Chungha was always so sweet to him. She always looked happy whenever she was with him.  Was that why he never noticed that something was amiss?

So, he figured that, perhaps, she was simply meeting a friend. Maybe it was just their way of communicating. Of course, he wondered why they simply wouldn’t text or call or instant message like normal people, but he was never one to question his wife before. Besides, he trusted her.

But, as he lay in bed next to her that night, the words he read from those e-mail drafts floated behind his eyelids and the more he tried to forget them, the more they crept up on him.

His sleep was restless that night. And the thoughts continued to run in his head the next morning. He had a day off from his restaurant on weekends so he usually spent it lazing around the apartment, inviting some of his friends over, or going out on a date with Chungha, who also took weekends off from the flower shop.

But, that day, she had told him that she was “running errands and meeting up with some friends”.

“I’ll be back before dinner,” she told him.

As soon as she had kissed him goodbye and closed the door behind her, Woohyun grabbed his phone and called his best guy friend.

“Yeobsaeyo,” answered a sleepy voice.

“Dongwoo, get dressed, I’m picking you up.”

“W-What? Why?”

“We’re going to Hongdae.” He had looked up the address of JJ's Bakery the night before.

Before the other guy could answer or protest at being woken up before 1pm, Woohyun had hung up so he could grab his keys and his wallet and leave the apartment. With determination, he drove towards his friend’s apartment.

The dance teacher must have had another late night training future idols as he emerged from his building with a yawn. He got into the passenger seat, sending a displeased glare at Woohyun.

“Why are we going to Hongdae? I hope you’re buying me food.”

Woohyun began to drive. “I’ll buy you whatever you want, but listen. I… found something last night… in Chungha’s computer.”

He talked about the suspicious e-mails, the hickeys (he could admit that to himself now), and the phone calls. He talked about how Chungha was always going out these days and she and Woohyun rarely even went on dates anymore.

“I think… she’s having an affair,” he finally said out loud for the first time.

Dongwoo looked at him, pity in his eyes and Woohyun hated it.

“Are you sure you’re not jumping to conclusions, Woohyun?” Dongwoo asked. “I mean, you and Chungha have been together far longer than I have even known you two. She… wouldn’t do anything to hurt you.”

Dongwoo had known the couple since high school and was a witness to their evolving relationship from childhood best friends to boyfriend/girlfriend and, finally, to husband and wife. He was even a groomsman at their wedding.

Woohyun swallowed the lump in his throat, his hands shaking as he gripped the steering wheel.

“No… she wouldn’t,” he said to himself as confidently as he could.

Chungha was his best friend and wife who loved him. She wouldn’t hurt him on purpose.

The drive was silent and quite honestly, it was kind of a blur for Woohyun whose mind was still swirling with so many emotions. At some point, he and Dongwoo made it to Hongdae and easily found JJ’s Bakery & Café. To please a pouting Dongwoo, he bought him a muffin and a large cup of iced coffee before finding themselves a table in a corner where they could see the entire café.

It was only 12:30pm so they had quite some time to wait until the meeting time stated in the e-mail. But, Woohyun was too anxious to eat anything. Dongwoo tried to distract him with small talk, but none of the conversation registered in Woohyun’s mind as his eyes glanced over every single male that entered the café.

Any one of them was a potential wife-stealer. Any one of them could have seduced his wife into cheating on him.

Finally, at exactly 1pm (as his wife was always ever punctual), Chungha stepped into the café. Woohyun grabbed one of the napkins on the table and tried to cover his face with it (unsuccessfully so). Over the napkin, he watched as his wife scanned the café before her eyes lit up when she caught sight of someone.

Woohyun followed her with his eyes, the churning in his stomach intensifying… until Chungha skipped towards another woman and hugged her, tightly. The feelings of anxiety dissipated and he sighed in relief.

“She’s just meeting a friend,” he said, happily.

Dongwoo chuckled at him. “I told ya,” he said before taking a bite of his second muffin. “Now, can we go? Oh! While we’re here, wanna go play games? Bet, I can beat you in some.”

Woohyun grinned. “Sure. Let me get something to eat first.”

He made to get up but Dongwoo shook his head. “Since you bought me a muffin-.”

“Two muffins.”

Dongwoo acquiesced. “Two muffins. I’ll buy you something.”

Woohyun figured he deserved a treat from the stress he put himself through. “One of those banana nut cake slices. And an iced cappuccino.”

Dongwoo saluted. “Roger that.”

While his friend went off to buy him food, Woohyun turned his attention back to Chungha, who was now sitting across from her friend, laughing and smiling, plates of pizza bread and cans of Coca-Cola in front of them. Chungha looked so happy.

Woohyun wondered why he had never met the other woman before. He thought he knew and had met all of Chungha’s friends, but he didn’t know of this one particular friend.

She was beautiful, he had to admit. Pin-straight and near black hair, big eyes, and rosy lips. Her clothing style shouted “elite” and classy designer, compared to Chungha’s mish-mosh of various sale items. She seemed to have a calm demeanor compared to Chungha’s excitable nature.

The more he watched them, the more he noticed the shine in Chungha’s eyes, the soft and adoring look in the other woman’s face. And for some odd reason, those brought the anxiety back in the pit of his stomach, especially when the woman reached out to hold both of Chungha’s hands and his wife… blushed… she blushed!

When was the last time he had seen his wife blush like a teenage girl in his presence?!

He was engrossed in watching the two women that he didn’t notice that Dongwoo had returned with his food at hand. Instead, his attention was on the two women who were still holding hands as they ate their food.

“Woohyun?” Dongwoo managed to call his attention. “You okay there?”

Woohyun swallowed. “I… I don’t know.”

To get his mind off his anxiety, he absentmindedly shoved a piece of the banana nut cake into his mouth, washing it down with his iced coffee. His attention, the whole time, stayed on the two women.

When Chungha and her friend finished their food and stood up to leave, Woohyun got up too. Grabbing a confused Dongwoo who was munching on half of Woohyun’s cake by the collar, he followed the two women out, making sure to keep his distance so they wouldn’t be seen.

“Woohyun, what are we-.”

“Shhh, just follow along and don’t get us caught, will you?”

“But-.”

“Shhh.”

They followed Chungha and the other woman for several blocks until they reached a lone three-story building behind a Noraebang. Woohyun’s mouth fell open at the subtle “Motel” sign outside the building. Who on earth went to a motel in the middle of the day?! Unless…

Swallowing the lump in his throat, Woohyun entered the establishment, still dragging his friend behind him, who was now, for once, silent.

The person manning the desk was a bored-looking middle-aged man. His expression didn’t change at the approach of the men.

“Welcome,” he greeted with a short bow. “One room?”

It took Woohyun a moment for Woohyun’s mind to process the words. “Oh no, we’re not… we’re not here for a room!”

“Sir, we are very open in this establishment, please don’t worry,” said the man, making Woohyun actually blush as he released his hold on Dongwoo.

“It’s not that!” he insisted, fighting the red in his cheeks. “The two women who were just here. One of them is my wife. I, uh, need to talk to her.”

The man looked guarded now. “I’m sorry, sir, but we can’t reveal that information, for the safety and privacy of our trusted clients.”

No matter how much Woohyun argued with the man, he wouldn’t say a word. Dongwoo, eventually, had to drag him out of the place in concern for the looks they were getting from the staff and other customers.

They ended up on a bench, across the street from the motel.

“Why don’t you just call Chungha? Ask her where she is,” Dongwoo said. “I’m sure there’s a logical explanation for all this.”

Woohyun did take out his phone to call his wife… Five times. None were answered.

“D-Dongwoo,” he managed after half an hour of waiting. “Is… is my wife… a lesbian?”

“No, of course not!"

Woohyun nodded.

"She could be bi!” Dongwoo piped.

Woohyun glared at him. Dongwoo raised his hand in peace.

“I’m just saying… I mean… She did marry you… and you guys slept together, right?”

“Of course, we did!” Woohyun was suddenly feeling defensive. “Just because we hadn’t done it in a while doesn’t mean…”

He trailed off, realizing that he really couldn’t remember the last time he and Chungha had slept together. They were both always so tired and busy, sometimes, that they just never really bothered. Besides, they had been waiting until they were ready to have kids so it really wasn’t a concern either.

Dongwoo was giving him that pity look again.

Woohyun did his best to ignore it. “Who was that woman, anyway?” he asked. “Do you know her?”

Dongwoo shook his head. “She looks rich, though.”

“Yeah…”

The two waited outside the motel for three hours and Woohyun was just ready to storm back into the motel and demand to speak to his wife. But, when he saw the two women finally emerge through the doors, he couldn’t move.

His eyes were fixated on them as the two quickly kissed each other on the lips before parting ways.

That sealed the deal for Woohyun as his heart dropped down to his stomach.

So, his wife really was cheating on him… with a woman.

 

..................................................

 

“…. So the next couple of days, I tried to figure out who the other woman was, but Chungha had been really careful with her laptop after that time she left it. Anyway, last week, she left it open again so I managed to see that they were meeting up at some restaurant in Myeongdong for dinner last Thursday so I had my friend Dongwoo ‘run into them’ so Chungha had no choice but to introduce your wife to him.”

Woohyun’s glare intensified as he reached into his pocket, took out a piece of paper, and unfolded it.

He, then, began to recite its contents. “Park Kyungmi, 27 years old, daughter of the CEO of PYC Interior Designs and current head designer of the Seoul branch, wife of Kim Sunggyu, also 27 years old and current CEO of Kim Hotels and Resorts.” He looked up at Sunggyu. “Is that correct?”

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. “Yes, but none of that means your wife is having an affair with my wife. Kyungmi is not a lesbian-.”

“As far as you know!”

Sunggyu was starting to get really irritated with this man. It wasn’t enough that he stormed into his office like a wild animal but here he was concocting this story about their wives having an affair.

Ridiculous.

“You’re ridiculous,” he said, pointedly as he pushed himself off the edge of his desk to go back to his chair behind it. “Please stop wasting my time and leave.”

Woohyun’s mouth fell open. “You don’t believe me?!”

Sunggyu chuckled, humorlessly. “Your story is a plot of a badly-written movie. Who the hell on this earth would believe that?”

If looks could kill, Sunggyu would already be dead on the floor with the way the other man was glaring at him.

“Do you not care about your wife?!” he shrieked at him. “Do you even know where she is right now? Let me guess. She’s on some business trip for a faraway client or on a weekend getaway with friends. Which one is it? Because my wife is doing ‘flower research’ for her next project.”

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow at “flower research”, which didn’t go unnoticed to the other man.

“She’s a florist,” Woohyun clarified. “But, you know what? How the hell does one do ‘flower research’ in Daegu?! Why Daegu of all places?!”

At the mention of the place, Sunggyu felt a weird itch in the back of his mind.

Kyungmi said she was also going to Daegu with a friend. She wanted to visit the temples and look into their designs as inspiration for her next project.

Sunggyu shook his head to clear his head of the thoughts before turning his attention back to the fuming man in front of him.

“Whatever it was you were trying to accomplish here, I’m sorry but I don’t have time for your foolishness, Mr. Nam. Please leave.”

“Fine! Stay blind to your wife’s infidelity!” Then, the man reached into his pocket and took out his wallet. He rummaged through it quickly before throwing a business card at Sunggyu’s desk. “If you finally come to your senses and see your wife for the cheating woman she is, you can call me.”

And with that, the angry man his heels and walked out of the office, making sure to slam the door behind him.

Sunggyu winced before picking up the business card: Nam Woohyun. Head Chef and Owner. INSPIRIT Restaurant.

Shaking his head, Sunggyu threw the business card into a drawer.

If the chef had that attitude, the food surely tasted like crap. He made a note to never eat at INSPIRIT Restaurant. Ever.

 


A/N: Hi, everyone! I'm back! I was really surprised to have gotten so many comments with just the Foreword and it really warms my heart!

Happy 8th year anniversary to our Romeos! I know that we all miss our leader, but the two years will pass! 

Also, going to shamelessly promote SHINee right now, so please, if you haven't yet, stream "Good Evening" and "I Want You"! They're both such bops and no matter how bittersweet this comeback and 10th anniversary has been, I'm really loving the new albums!

So, anyway, here's chapter 1 and so far, not much has happened yet, but you have a small glimpse into Sunggyu and Woohyun's personalities. 

The wives of WooGyu here are made-up women and are not based on any current female idols. (But by all means, picture whoever you want, though!) I'm actually looking forward to writing them and I hope I get the chance to explore more of their characters and feature them for more than just being cheating wives. I also hope you'll grow to love them too, even if they did hurt our WooGyu's feelings. And you know how I am with my female characters, I like portraying them with layers so there will be no woman-hating in this fic, at all!

So, let me know what you think so far! Anything you guys would love to see? Any questions about characters? I'll try to answer them in the best way I can without spoiling too much!

'Til the next time, chingus!