Chapter 9

Count on me?

Taemin felt his world crumbling down. Yet again. That feeling of helplessness, hopelessness and a strange weakness had grasped him from within. He wanted to scream and vent it out but no words would escape his lips. He could feel the tears pricking at the corner of his eyes, his eyes stinging, his chest constricting , he found it almost difficult to breathe. He desperately wished to shake off the dark thoughts looming over his mind and loneliness engulfing him from within.

But his brother had promised to keep him safe,right?

He would never fail to keep his promise. He knew it. But it wasn’t his own safety that worried him now. It was “their” safety.

“Dont worry. I’ll be back soon Taemin. Don’t go anywhere. Stay here till I come back”

Taemin held on tightly to his brother, reluctant to budge an inch. His mind was entrapped with dark visions of the previous night and under any circumstances he would refuse to let him leave.

“It is urgent Taeminnie” he to spoke softly, almost in a whisper and managed to calm the sobbing boy in his arms. He smiled with whatever strength was retained in his soul, hoping it wouldn’t be the last time he was holding his younger brother close to him.He was too precious and too innocent to face the distorted evils of this world.

Taemin waited at the table. He pulled himself deeper into blankness ,staring mindlessly at the dull white ceiling and suddenly nothing. An uncomparable blankness that he welcomed easily.

This nothing, Taemin decides, is better

And slowly he began to feel elated. What day was it? Wasn’t it summer ? He was relishing an orange flavoured popsicle with his brother. He smiled foolishly at the treat. And entangled his tiny fingers with his brother’s as they walked back home. His eyes sparkling , his heart beaming with joy. He was surely the luckiest child to have such a caring brother, who no wonder was strong too and Taemin was never afraid of bullies.He always had his brother’s back right? He was truly lucky or so he thought...

His mind drifted and wandered and he barely knew what was real anymore. Was he floating? Was that his favourite purple coloured plushie ?He tried grabbing it but it just disappeared... His mother was calling him,singing the same lullaby, he ran towards her ...he couldn’t have made a mistake. It was that same soft voice. He ran into her arms, the same strong scent.”Mother? “ he whispered as he looked at those warm honey orbs that stared at him lovingly. He called out again a bit louder this time.”Mother can you hear me?” and then it started fading. He desperately tried to cling on to her but it all faded into black.

  1. nothing.

He doesn’t know how long he had been siting there. He had lost track of everything including his life. He doesn’t know when this will end, this abyss of nothing.

 

His phone rings. Its surprising his brain registered that. It was the ringtone he had set for his brother. He slowly regained consciousness. His hands fumbled while he received the call, his voice cracked and raw.

“ Taemin...you need to run. Please take whatever money I’ve left hidden in the cloet locker. Please Taemin. We need to move away from that place. I’m coming home to get you. The demons ... I will never let them lay a hand on you. Hyung... will take care of you ,Taemin ” he tried to sound assuring as he could but Taemin could sense the panic hidden underneath.”Hyung ... “ he muffled his sobs with his palm and closed his eyes.

 

 

His brother had reached home and seemed restless. Things had happened too fast for Taemin to get a real grip on them. He merely complied to his brother.

“I’ve arranged everything Taemin-ah. You have to move to your university dorms. They don’t know anything about you yet. You will stay safe there , away from me. They’re chasing after me ...I can’t let them get to you ... I’m sure I’ll be able to flee and soon I’ll stay near your dorm.. You don’t need to worry Taemin, I’ve saved enough for us. I’d never deal with them again... Never. I’ll find a safer job and keep us well. For now, you have to stay at the dorm Taemin. They have falsely accused me... those bastards. “

Taemin could barely grasp, it was too much for him. He didn’t understand.

“Hyung ... who are they ?”

Taemin looked at his brother with eyes too frightened , scared , afraid of what they would face next.