Chapter 6:

Count on me?

Taemin's past

The prospect of rejoining school and mingling with others didn’t really excite him. He had created his own shell and refused to let anyone but his brother get into his own zone of seclusion. His own little space where he didn’t acknowledge anyone’s presence but his brother’s. He had become used to empty rooms and loneliness and the thought of having to mix with others didn’t appeal to him anymore as it had six months ago.

However , his brother had insisted on his education and for not for once could Taemin deject those soft,glistening eyes b with tears which threatened to escape any moment. Although he couldn’t really bring himself to the idea of attending school and having to face people everyday , he could see the hope that his brother had in him. He could never see him hurt or disappointed so unwillingly he decided to join school.

He regretted it the very moment he entered a class full of young kids who were screaming and shouting in the absence of any teacher. Taemin was never really an extroverted kid. He had always been the shy one. But now it was even worse. He felt it was all too much. He wanted to return to his own bubble. His social skills had been abandoned for quite some time now.

People would take him for a nerd. He didn’t really mind because he was much more comfortable being alone and preferred that people left him alone without bothering him.

It was yet another day when he had his nose buried in his books when he met Jongin.

“Hey do you mind if I sit next to you ? Or is someone already sitting there” the boy asked almost too cheerful for Taemin to understand. He wasn’t used to people approaching him and when someone finally did , he was always at a loss of words. Nevertheless he gently nodded his head and removed his bag for Jongin to sit. Jongin flashed his smile and Taemin tried to smile back but went onto reading his book.

Jongin did his best to strike on a conversation by making small talk. Apart from the “hmms” and nods he failed to evoke much response from him. He thought probably Taemin wasn’t comfortable enough with him . He had noticed him since the very first day he had arrived. He couldn’t really see him interacting with anyone and wanted to make him smile and feel happy instead of secluding himself from everyone. Jongin was good at this. Because for the first time in a while, Taemin’s eye crinkled and he let out soft giggles which soon led to him laughing so hard that practically left Taemin gasping for breathe. It was innocent and pure and Jongin smiled at the genuineness of it. Taemin didn’t remember laughing so hard for months and something very trivial yet funny had left him in full blow fits of laughter ! Jongin noticed how happy Taemin looked and how beautiful his smile was. Something so precious yet so rare. It was at that moment that a beautiful bond of friendship had sparked between them.