Chapter 4:

Count on me?

Taemin's past...

 

He didn’t really understand what was happening but he knew something was serious when he noticed his brother ‘s pale face and his trembling hands dropped the receiver. He didn’t understand any of it; he only tugged at the elder’s pajama and nudged him to go back to sleep but for the first time he noticed tears in his brother’s eyes. He was scared now.. His brother had always saved him from bullies and he had nothing to worry about when he was around. But he watched in horror as his brother crumbled right before him,shattered like broken glass ;pulling Taemin to a hug...Taemin could feel him shaking. He wondered what could scare his brother and frighten him so much? He was frightened too.

There were ambulance sirens and a crowd had gathered outside their house. And then he watched his brother get up and he silently go out while he followed him clutching his t’shirt with his little hands.

He watched his brother go numb after looking at something and a terrible shriek. Someone covered his eyes. He rebelled as he heard his brother shrieking and crying like a beast. It horrified him and he wanted to make sure his brother was alright but they wouldn’t let him go. Then it all faded into the darkness of the night.He didn’t remember anything after that.

It was only when they had to shift to their uncle’s house that the six year old Taemin actually realise the terrible truth. His brother had hidden it from him all this while not wishing to inflict pain upon the younger one. He couldn’t really bring himself to do that. He just told him it was for a short while they would have to stay there since his parents had to go for some emergency work .But once at they reached there , Taemin soon discovered the horrifying truth himself when he heard his aunt talking to his uncle. He couldn’t really grasp it..he felp like the world was slipping away under his feet. He had lost his parents? Forever? Thats what he heard and he wasn’t willing to accept it. He locked himself in the room the entire day ...crying and begging God to wake him up from this nightmare. He felt his senses go numb,his brain refused to accept it; hw couldn’t believe his world was falling apart this. He drew his knews close to his chest and closed his eyes. The sudden turn of events from his happy life had put him through so much he couldn’t believe it. He waited for his brother and when he finally returned , the one sad look at his teary eyes confirmed what Taemin had dreaded. Taemin didn’t sleep that night or for that matter countless nights. He had stopped eating and talking and distanced himself from everyone. Every night he would cry in his brother’s arms till he fell asleep or at times he wouldn’t sleep at all.

Taemin watched his aunt’s behaviour change towards them and he couldn’t understand why she had suddenly become insensitive ...but he didn’t question his brother when one night he told Taemin that they would soon have to live alone; Far away from all of them. He merely nodded trusting his brother more than anyone else in the world.