Sixteen

Trickling Red

The elevator slowed to halt, arriving on the fifteen storey. Jaejoong stepped out of the lift, a bunch of keys in his hand. He fiddled with them as he paced along the corridor, eyes looking at the ground. The night wind howled as the leaves rustled. 

Yunho stepped out of his apartment, making sure there was no crease anywhere on his shirt. He placed his watch on his wrist and buckled the strap. He ambled down the corridor, footsteps echoing and eyes busy checking his attire.
 
They were just a metre and a half  away when the lights flickered and went dark. Complete blackness. There was not a moon in the sky or a post lamp nearby.
 
Yunho could still see as his eyes already adjusted to the dimness of the area. Jaejoong however, was not able to see. As they brushed pass each other on the narrow pathway, Jaejoong tripped over Yunho's foot and tumbled forward, falling face flat on the floor.
 
Yunho gritted his teeth. It was the second time such things happened to him. He really had some luck with this cop. He bent forward, assisting Jaejoong to get up. Little did he know, he had forgotten that his eyes were a glowing red in complete darkness too. 
 
Slowly, Jaejoong turned over. A mist of realisation his face as he glared up at Yunho, something inside him unravelling, like ribbons on a package coming undone.
 
Those eyes. Those hands. Those words. That same cologne. That silhouette. He remembered. It was that 'person'.
 
The hair went up on the back of his neck. He backed away. His cheeks were pale. Quivering, his hands slipped up to grip his neck like he was trying to force himself to breathe.
 
Something in Yunho's mind was triggered. Strong arms were scooping Jaejoong up, and a voice was hissing, "Don't make a sound!"
 
Hand clamped over his mouth, Jaejoong was hustled down the hallway and into his own apartment. It seemed to be the nearer one. His mind was clouded over with panic.
 
When the door was shut, Yunho released his hold on Jaejoong. 
 
"Who, no, what are you?" Jaejoong demanded an answer, his voice struggling against the plug of fear that was clogging his throat.
 
"I'm of a race that feeds on you, human. A vampire that drains your blood."
 
Jaejoong feared him. Definitely. His heart was beating a million thumps per minute. His hand creeped to his waist, searching for his gun. Usually, a single swift move would be sufficed for his pistol to be in his hand. Yet, he failed to find it then. Jaejoong eyed every moment of the vampire's while centering his breathing. His hand was still awkwardly searching for that gun. Amidst that, he said,"Your s-statement is in-invalid unless proven."
 
The vampire frowned at the human's waist and suddenly, Jaejoong felt that a weight was off him. A gun floated into the air. His gun.
 
Was it magic? 
 
The vampire shook his head, answering his unspoken question. It did not look magic; there was nothing special about it except that it was defying gravity. There were no aura of light about it, no puff of smoke and no sudden bang. Jaejoong had to look at it several times to believe that it was no magic trick. Magic tricks had set-ups.
 
Yunho knew he wanted to check. He gestured for the cop to look around his own home. He would definitely know that the vampire had not broken into the house to set things up for a magic trick. He would know for he was a witty person.
 
There was nothing out of place. 
 
Jaejoong was baffled and his mind shut off everything from the outside. Voices echoed in his head.
 
Blood drained.
 
Blood drained.
 
Blood drained.
 
"Y-you, are you the one responsible for the deaths of many girls?!" Jaejoong shouted.
 
Yunho scowled at him.
 
"Your statement is invalid unless proven," the vampire parroted, swaggering forward.
 
Jaejoong stared at him for a moment then blinked. He snapped the handcuff over the vampire's wrist. The vampire was caught, unexpected. Jaejoong did the same on his own wrist.
 
"You're under arrest for the suspicion that you're related to the recent murders."
 
The vampire's gaze softened and shook his head.
 
"My dear human, you seem to forget something," the vampire moved closer and whispered. "I can never be caught, especially through such..." He raised his eyebrow. "... whimsical methods of yours."
 
With that said, the vampire vanished into thin air, materialising behind the cop. It was so silent and ethereal like it would never happen in the human world, the real reality as Jaejoong would call it. Things needed to be backed by evidence. That was what he thought. 
 
Yunho was out of the restraints of the handcuff. He coiled his fingers around the handcuff that was still around Jaejoong's wrist and tugged it. Jaejoong was pulled backwards and then, the handcuff disappeared. Knocking against the corner of the shoe cabinet, the cop winced. He rubbed his back for a while. 
 
When he brought back his hand, he realised that the handcuff was gone. He looked up only to see the handcuff twirling around Yunho's finger. The vampire stopped and advanced forward, handing the cop's item back to him. Warily, Jaejoong took it from him and put it back in the pouch on his waist. He took a long while, dragging the minutes.
 
The vampire would continue... to terrorise the citizens, Jaejoong thought. His mouth on a girl's throat. As her life ebbed and when he had drunk, he would throw her away like a broken doll. And it would all be my fault because I did not do anything.
 
"Then what can you do?" the vampire asked, dark brown orbs turning red.
 
Jaejoong froze. 
 
"I... I'll..." his voice trailed off to a soft murmur but, the vampire's acute hearing caught his words.
 
Yunho uttered something, trying to soothe the cop into reverie. He invaded his mind. However, he was pushed out. He jerked backwards and his breath became uneven for a brief moment.
 
"I know you have weaknesses. You're just hiding it too well. You guard them so well," the vampire said.
 
Jaejoong shrugged with just the right level of carelessness to dismiss his statement.
 
"I may not be able to gain control of your weaknesses but, I read your mind. I know of them. I know."
 
Tears pushed their way to Jaejoong's eyes. He blinked and fought them back. He felt that Yunho had intruded his personal bubble far too much. He was knuckling his eyes, trying to wipe away the imaginary few drops that managed to slip. He felt trapped. It was as if he was stuck in a stifling, snuffling darkness. An invisible force was shoving and pushing him back, blocking his escape route.
 
"Just stop and get it over and done with," Jaejoong pleaded. 
 
Yunho smirked. What an interesting human, he thought.
 
The vampire rested hand on the human's shoulder. His canines grew and in one swift move, he bit down hard, impaling his fangs into soft flesh. Warm liquid slid down his throat.
 
An excruciating pain started at his neck then, it rippled through his body, paralysing him. Jaejoong bit his lip until he tasted the tang of his blood. Releasing his bruised flesh, his lips fell apart in a silent scream.
 
Yunho pulled away, his lips, a small smile on his face. He raised one hand to Jaejoong's neck and his fingers curved over the two holes on his flesh. It burst into fiery pain at his touch.
 
"Heal," he said. 
 
The holes could no longer be seen but blood was still over his skin. Jaejoong brought his hand up to his neck. He rubbed a smear of his blood between his fingers. The sight of his blood on his pale skin made him shudder, and yet Jaejoong felt himself lean towards the vampire instinctively, wanting to close the space between them. He was weak.
 
"As promised, a supply of blood as an exchange that nobody dies."
 
The vampire let a soft sigh slip through his lips.
 
 
 
 

I feel kinda repetitive in this chapter... Ok, 4 more chapters! Wow, so many comments in the previous chappie! Thank you~! Work has been busy and I find it hard to find time to write. Sorry abt that. T.T I really don't know when I'll update again(but don't worry abt me not finishing this fic)!
 
Happy Lunar New Year!