Seventeen

Trickling Red

 

His heart was pounding.
 
Jaejoong's senses became sharper than they had ever been. He could hear the rustle of leaves in the breeze. He could smell the damp, rotting humus on the ground. He could even smell the blood throbbing through the veins of a person as she vanished in frantic haste.
 
Moonlight shone its pale hue on a figure's face. It was Yunho, eyes red, expression so cold. He looked much younger. He was barefooted, his calf muscles flexing, his toes gripping the earth. He stood there, tensed, watching something. His eyes burnt through the dark.
 
"What..." Jaejoong asked, finding it strange that they were in such an environment.
 
Yunho glared at him as if he was interfering something important. Yunho's eyes narrowed into dangerous slits. Then he jerked forward, sprinting with all his might. Jaejoong watched him go, pounding and skipping over the ground. Those legs of his moved, up and down, up and down. He sprang, weaved, twisted and turned his way around the forest with ease as his feet thud into the ground.
 
Jaejoong wanted to run away but he felt heavy as if an invisible force was on him to stop him. Jaejoong could feel the vampire's excitement at the nearness of his prey, adenine pumping through him. He could feel the wind grazing his cheeks. He grew aware of every inch of the prey's circulatory system as Yunho did.
 
A shadow darted between tree trunks. Jaejoong heard a catch of breath. Terror was in the air. Yunho was too quick. A scream pierced through the air. Then, the whole forest felt silent. So silent that you could hear the soft buzz of nothingness. A sound broke the stillness as night birds flew up into the sky. There was a rustle of wind. Yunho had got his victim in a tight grip, somewhat like an embrace. The victim's limbs sprawled out helplessly, moving this way and that, but not for long.
 
Jaejoong could feel the vampire's want for blood. He wanted every drop of it until the sickening feeling caused his stomach to churn. He knew of the vampire's thrill of chasing and seeing a victim struggle, and the satisfaction of superiority when the prey's life ebbed away at each intake of blood. There was a great desire for the cop to vomit.
 
A twig snapped.
 
Yunho whipped around. His mouth was smeared with blood. Jaejoong saw it. Heat swam through his skin. It was so clear. There was nothing fuzzy or blurry about the pictures he had in mind. Vivid. Yunho stretched his hand forward and grasped Jaejoong's throat. He choked, bringing his arms up to try pushing Yunho's hand away to break free.
 
"L-Let go," Jaejoong croaked, gasping for air.
 
"You—" he heard, and all images vanished before him.
 
He was back in his room again. A hand was on his shoulder. Coming face to face with his nightmare, Jaejoong scrambled backwards into the pillows, hitting his head on the headboard.
 
"No," he cried. "Get away!" Wild screams ripped from his throat and the figure before him flinched. 
 
Coughing, he still felt the tightness at his neck, a lingering sensation, as he gasped at nothing. Yunho put his hands on the human's shoulders to hold him still.
 
"Quieten down," Yunho demanded.
 
Jaejoong did then, suddenly there was quietness.
 
"W-What are you doing here?" he asked weakly after a moment, panting.
 
The vampire smirked,"I see that you got a taste of how it's like."
 
The cop's mouth dropped open. A lump was stuck in his throat.
 
"As long as you aren't dead, you will have them. My memories."
 
Jaejoong attempted to speak again but it all came down to nothing, not even a hum of understanding.
 
"I thought you knew, human. You're smart, aren't you? That's why I kill. Knowing so much isn't what's best," Yunho paused. "Ignorance can sometimes be a virtue."
 
Yunho touched Jaejoong chin, tilted his face up, looking blearily into the cop's eyes. There was a lack of interest in that gaze yet, he received an unexpected response.
 
Jaejoong stared back, hard. 
 
Gutsy, he thought, simpering. Then, like that smile was never there, it faded away to only be replaced by a straight face.
 
 
~.~.~.~
 
 
 
His whole body demanded for food, longed for it, screamed it. He had been hungry all this while. Yunho had been having much lesser blood every fortnightly than the usual. He must not drink enough to kill the human.
 
He caught a scent in the air. It was not the kind he had ever bothered with before but hunger gnawed his stomach like an incessant bug. He would not care less. It was still blood — a red liquid which had a metallic smell. 
 
He found his way to the refrigerator. He picked at a packet, tearing the plastic. A few pieces of steak were in there. The smell grew stronger and invaded his nostrils. His eyes turned crimson and his breathing became laboured. His fangs lengthened.
 
He gulped a piece down without tossing it around in a frying pan beforehand. It was raw. He tore through the soft, white fat and the red, elastic meat, feeling it slide down his throat. The vampire hummed in bliss before taking a second piece to devour.
 
A click was heard and soft pads filled the threshold. The keys stopped jiggling after a few thuds were heard. Lightning flashed across the sky and illuminated the room. 
 
Jaejoong saw Yunho. There was blood all over his mouth and bits of raw meat hanging between his teeth. He was like a wild animal, tearing its kill apart.
 
Jaejoong was all ready to swing the most convenient weapon, the umber aka by the doorway, at the intruder. He should have known the vampire's capability better. That vampire could do anything with those powers. Why, oh, why did he put the gun aside along with his keys on the coffee table when he came in. It should always be beside him.
 
Jaejoong's mouth must have dropped open every since the shock, because Yunho reached over and pushed his chin back to place. He froze. Cautiously, he attempted.
 
"Y-You..." the cop's voice was a soft stutter.
 
"I do eat just for the sensual experience and a temporary fill for the stomach," the vampire mused, answering the unasked question.
 
Reaching for a hand towel, the creature wiped his mouth and retracted his fangs. Jaejoong turned to only find the drawer of his fridge opened.
 
"You ate the steak that Yoochun gave me?" the human whispered-whimpered.
 
Chest puffed out, Yunho gave a curt nod as if showing his arrogant side. 
 
Jaejoong bit his lips, "I-It would be bet-better if g-g-grilled..."
 
The vampire eyed the last piece on the kitchen counter. 
 
"You can still have the last one," he commented dismissively, pointing at the meat.
 
Jaejoong shook his head like he was dealing with an ignorant child, the cookery lover side of him overtook the fear within his heart. Then he exhaled deeply, taking the last piece of steak to the stove gingerly for the counter, hoping that the vampire would not approach him suddenly. Yunho continued to keep a distance then seeing how timid the human's movements were, he tucked his hands into his pants' pockets and exited the kitchen.
 
I'm amused. That human's able to contain his fear. Definitely strong-willed, he thought.
 
Moments later, a sharp hiss was heard.
 
When Yunho reached the kitchen, Jaejoong was clutching his index finger. Blood was dripping through his fingers. Yunho could smell it. He could almost taste it. He felt his fangs slide yet again. He paused to regain control. 
 
"Are you all right?"
 
The cop was taken aback by the sudden voice.
 
"Y-Yeah..." Jaejoong said, straightening, his face covered by his bangs.
 
Yunho stepped closer, the smell of blood staying on the tongue. Jaejoong took a step back but Yunho caught his hand just in time. The vampire gently lifted Jaejoong's hand to his mouth, a contrary to his nature. Jaejoong stood still, marvelled by how each movement seemed so flawless. Elegant.
 
When his skin felt the moist cavern of the vampire, Jaejoong let out a soft sigh, "Ah..."
 
Yunho choked on his own saliva but he managed to hide it by faking a cough afterwards. That voice was sweet and smooth like honey(maybe blood would have been better) sliding down the throat; it gave him a fuzzy feeling at the pit of his stomach.
 
It was when he felt a pointed edge poking at his skin that Jaejoong flinched and jerked his hand back, hugging his hand close to his chest. That vampire could have bitten off his finger as if he was tearing at the raw meat! His heart raced.
 
The vampire's hands moved so they were on top of Jaejoong's, completing covering them. They were really huge and warm but they made him shiver. He did not move away though. He did not want to. The strangeness of why such a cold creature would have warm hands arose curiosity in him. There was a mixture of fear and something whirling in his body.
 
Yunho gave a little squeeze to Jaejoong's hands before releasing them. Then he raised a hand to cup the cop's face. His fingers felt like electricity against his cheek. They tensed as time ticked away.
 
The timer went off, a blaring din to the quiet apartment. Yunho stepped back, eyes unblinking. Realisation came upon Jaejoong when the smell of burnt food wafted into his nostrils. He scrunched up his face and spun around, tending to the overcooked food.
 
"The—" Jaejoong's voice trailed off when he turned around to only come face to face with no one. 
 
The vampire left.
 
It was like his heart was no longer under his control. With his back pressed against his apartment door, Yunho looked down at his feet, easing his breathing. 
 
Slowly, he lifted his head. Kibum was there, inching away from his face. He  blinked while Yunho stared, motionless. The younger vampire pursed his lips in thought, tapping his chin cutely.
 
"Is there anything on my face that makes you stare so intently, Kibum?" Yunho tried, voice feigning firmness.
 
"Y'know," Kibum chuckled softly. "When there's fear, when there's excitement," he paused. "The heart beats rapidly."
 
Mouth agape, Yunho stared, a blank look on his face.
 
Kibum puffed out his cheeks, shaking. He rolled his lower lip between his teeth. Glancing up at Yunho another time, he could no longer contain it. He rolled over, laughing hysterically. 
 
Yunho scowled, a look of disdain on his face. He turned to look away.
 
"Nothing fazes you. Nothing interests you. So what is it?" Kibum asked. 
 
Yunho kept mum.
 
"Or do you... have any diseases, disorders and conditions that I, Doctor Kim, haven't known off?" the younger continued.
 
"Nothing at all," Yunho answered sharply. "Nothing."
 
A book flipped open before his mind's eyes. He remembered leafing through those yellowish pages, his fingers to turn the pages. It was a book which was published in 1700s.
 
He recalled reading the novel for the pure fun of mocking such ignorant text describing the love life of fictional vampire characters. 
 
It was definitely such a wrong timing at he pinpointed a sentence. 
 
He glared at Kibum and let these words—do you believe in love at first bite?— be imprinted in his mind.
 
"Nothing at all..." the older vampire drawled.
 
__________________________________________________________________
Hihi! Ok, Idk y this chap is so awkward. Help maybe? 3 more to go! Haha.
 
See ya... not so soon(?)