Six

Trickling Red

Jaejoong stared at his colleagues, searching for an answer as to what could impossibly happen. The trio kept mum, hoping that it was not the case. Murmurs outside grew louder by the minute. When he could no longer withstand the silence, Jaejoong cleared his throat and straightened up.
 
"Tell me" Jaejoong demanded, anger could be sensed in every word he spoke.
 
As if ignoring their leader, the trio's gaze flitted from one to another. Yoochun closed his eyes in a painstaking blink.
 
"It's―" Yoochun was interrrupted when a rap was heard on their glass door.
 
"Another one... Here, I brought the report. Poor girl, it seems like she just started working part-time to only be attacked," a female cop empathised.
 
Changmin who was nearest to the door received the file and passed it to Jaejoong. Seeing the file had reached the hands of a capable person, the female cop left.
 
Stopping at a certain line of information, Jaejoong's eyes narrowed into slits. He read the words again just to process the information.
 
"No one said anything about the pool of blood is less than a quarter of what the victim lost," Jaejoong stated, glaring at the others.
 
"Ahaha..." Junsu's laughter faded to a halt. "We thought it was an insignificant point so we left it out of the summary of the cases."
 
"Every―" Jaejoong was cut off short.
 
"Yeah, yeah. Every single stone must not be left unturned." Changmin interrupted.
 
"...we must considered every factor," Junsu piped in.
 
Yoochun peeked into the file and gasped. He mumbled, "And it happed on the same day and in the same place as..."
 
"What?" Jaejoong questioned.
 
Yoochun stood up and reached over Jaejoong's shoulder. Pointing a finger at a line, Yoochun said, "Look!"
 
Jaejoong's gaze followed Yoochun's finger. "Isn't where the murder had taken place the same as where we arrested Lee Dong Hyuk and the day you suggested that it happened only just now?"
 
"Really?!" Junsu jumped up and looked at the file.
 
Changmin stood up and walked over to Jaejoong leisurely. Upon seeing the venue of murder, he whistled. "We were so close, huh?"
 
Junsu pinched Changmin's shoulder. "This is not the time to be amused, Min."
 
Jaejoong was stunned. His mind was in a whirling mess. What happened that day? Did I sense that something was amiss?
 
Jaejoong was searching for an answer within himself. Was anyone whom I do not know there?
 
Then, a thought struck him. The voice. Thinking thoroughly, he found it weird that someone who did not know him knew what he was finding in the dark. He remembered the voice chasing him away as if he was not supposed to be there.
 
Who was that...?
 
His lips trembled and his temples throbbed. How could he let the tiniest thing slip? Even when there was an important task at hand, how could he forget that he had to be observant at all times?
 
Frustrated at himself, he got up and left the room.
 
"When happened?" Junsu asked.
 
The other two shrugged their shoulders.
 
Jaejoong paced down the corridor to a green vending machine. Pushing a couple of coins in, he bought a can of ice coffee. Then, he bent down to retrieve his purchased item. Standing up, he went to a wall and leaned up against it. He sipped on his drink.

~.~.~.~

 
After driving round the bend, Jaejoong pulled up beside the sidewalk. Putting on his big and dark shades, he stepped out of his car. He walked into a pretty looking bakery.
 
"May I help you, Sir?" an assistant in the shop offered.
 
Jaejoong hummed as he thought about something. He lowered his sunglasses a little and scanned through the glass casing.
 
"What is your recommendation, Miss?" Jaejoong said, eyes roamed over the variety of dessert.
 
"We have muffins and cupcake if you're wanting to have a small threat. Our chiffon cake is best in town. Each bite you take will let you have a taste of heaven. Also..." she gabbled on.
 
Then, Jaejoong's eyes were transfixed on the four remaining pieces strawberry shortcake. "I will have those," he said, pointing at treat.
 
"Right away," she said and packed them up into a beautifully printed box.
 
After collected payment from the man, the shop assistant bowed, saying, "Do patronise our shop again. Thank you and have a nice day."
 
Jaejoong was satisfied with his gift for the house he was about to visit. He carefully placed the box on the passenger's seat and drove off.
 
Minutes later, Jaejoong was in front of an apartment. He rang the bell and waited. He could hear frantic footsteps shuffling towards the door. "Coming~" a female voice called out.
 
The owner of the house opened the door. "Omo! Jaejoongie! Why didn't you call us before coming?"
 
"Auntie, it has been long since I last visited. 2 years?" Jaejoong greeted.
 
"Soojin-ah!" His aunt beckoned.
 
His daughter rushed towards the entrance. Upon seeing her cousin, she gasped, "Oppa!"
 
Jaejoong ruffled her hair. He bought the cake box to her face, dangling it in front of her. "It's your favourite."
 
Thrilled, Soojin grabbed the sides of the box and brought it close to her. "I'll put it in the refrigerator first," Soojin sang.
 
The mother invited Jaejoong in.